• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Everdred

A little bit into the second town on Nightmare difficulty. I've only died once so far. Doesn't seem too hard. Really diggin' the game.

Wallach

So I just watched the GB Quick Look for RAGE, and noticed that when he died, the defib mini-game thing was totally different than what I saw during the defib tutorial at the start. Is that version of the mini-game in the PC version?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wallach said:
So I just watched the GB Quick Look for RAGE, and noticed that when he died, the defib mini-game thing was totally different than what I saw during the defib tutorial at the start. Is that version of the mini-game in the PC version?

PC has different defib minigame than consoles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm just about to leave Wellspring after cleaning up Dead City for the second time. The combat in this game is so good.

AgentOtaku said:
People have been finding the Wolf3D room right?

Also, anyone noticed that the Y button is actually the Quake symbol? Switched to controller config 2 (Y is use), so no i'm constantly greeted with it! (^___^)

There's also a Quake easter egg in the Wasted Garage, a box of Quayola Quayons in the Ghost Hideout, and a Doom easter egg at a later point in the game.

Edit: What id should have done with the Quake room is, instead of placing the Shambler plush in the middle of the room for an easy grab-and-run, have you battle a Shambler which shrinks to plush size upon defeat, with the obtaining of the now-cute monstrosity tied to an aptly named "Ride the Lightning" achievement.

Wallach said:
Lame. The one in the PC version is dumb.

What does the console variant entail?

Daigoro

SalsaShark said:
Car combat online multiplayer (wich is actually more fleshed out than one would think), and co-op missions.

Its posted in the OP man

so it is. thanks.

co-op sounds cool. car combat... might be fun. kind of surprised that's all there is.

JaseC

Is it too late to access the Wolf3D room if you've completed the Ghost Hideout a second time?

Wallach

JaseC said:
What does the console variant entail?

There's two phases; the first is like the "charge" phase where you point both sticks at certain nodes and hit the triggers (I think the more nodes you activate is what determines your health upon getting up), then the second phase the two nodes start in the center and slide towards the edges, where you hit the triggers when they're at both ends.

You can check it out in the Quick Look on Giant Bomb. Just seems a little more interesting than "hit E."

JaseC

Wallach said:
There's two phases; the first is like the "charge" phase where you point both sticks at certain nodes and hit the triggers (I think the more nodes you activate is what determines your health upon getting up), then the second phase the two nodes start in the center and slide towards the edges, where you hit the triggers when they're at both ends.

You can check it out in the Quick Look on Giant Bomb. Just seems a little more interesting than "hit E."

Interesting. Cheers.

JaseC

Wallach said:
No problem. As for your question, yeah I think the only time you can get into the Wolfenstein room is the first time you go to the Ghost Hideout.

Shit. :( Oh well, something to remember for next time.

Norml

Install took me 18 minutes.

Graphics-
The streaming is bad,can't really turn without seeing textures fill in.Jaggies are worse for me though,massive jaggies!Looks ok overall,but nothing impressive to me.

Gameplay-
Got up to the sniper gun, seems pretty basic.Headshots are not instant death for pistol..lame!

Twinduct

Just finished the
well mission
in
wellspring
How far am I from the end? Btw playtime is
6 hours so far.

okay, nevermind, the Rage comics ARE available via Dark Horse Comics app.

_w_300

Buy 3 issue run for $5

kyubajin

This thread moves really fast, sorry if it's been asked before but, can anyone confirm that the PS3 port isn't crap? It's the only version I'm willing to purchase.

JaseC

LastWindow said:
You're about halfway through.

So there are only two hub areas in the game (Wellspring and Subway Town, inclusive of their respective wastelands)?

Edit: Clarity.

Dead City looked real nice when you first enter it, but once I got into the actual building some of the textures were laughable at best. When the game hits, it hits hard; when it misses though it really makes me long for the next generation of consoles. This trade-off is killing me; I want a game with the visual bells and whistles as an Uncharted or Gears, with the smooth, 60fps of Rage dammit!
Just finished a mission that dragged on for far too long; I literally fell asleep while battling the some lame enemy through what seemed like miles of the same factory rooms. First time I've felt that way while playing; combat is great otherwise. Dropping turrets is da bizniz!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Sorry if I ask, but does someone know if RAGE Ps3 PAL edition it's multi5, multi3 or language locked?

thx :p

Got my earlier freezing at a loading screen "fixed" I had to do some other quests then came back and it worked. ID there are other ways to tell me I can't go there yet lol

Loving the game so far, it still has micro stuttering from time to time and now some of the characters flicker when they are talking but this is all stuff that hopefully they will fix with a patch/new drivers. The textures don't seem to bother me to much anymore, the lag is barely there but the horrid textures are present from time to time. Even so it looks good from a distance...

Solo

I love how the tide has gradually changed and people are now really enjoying the game. Can't wait to get back to it.

robot

Found a Fallout Vault Guy bobble head on the mayors desk - sold for $150! Love the amount of Easter eggs in the game.

WOO! Runs like a dream on my little laptop, looks a treat and plays like one as well.

Vindication. Especially being an ATI fellow. I was so damn frightened by all the tales of woe and despair, thinking my download this morning would end in nothing but frustration and angst. Not so.

The biggest thing that has stuck out for me is the level furnishing! It seems so lovingly put together, from the structures to the detritus, everything seems hand-crafted and intentional. My hope wavered, but damn, if id haven't come through with the goods. And, within a week, I trust everyone will have their game-on.

Solo

Anyone know how to get into the Wellspring sewers? The only entrance I've found has the "!" symbol when you move your mouse over it (ie. no entrance).

JambiBum

Solo said:
Anyone know how to get into the Wellspring sewers? The only entrance I've found has the "!" symbol when you move your mouse over it (ie. no entrance).
It's a part of the story. One of the main missions takes you through them.

Solo

Joe Molotov said:
Then how do I get them?

I just did the Wasted Garage and it popped a message saying "ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DISABLED BECAUSE THE CONSOLE HAS BEEN ENABLED!"

Well thats weird......because I have a whole host of tweaks going including the console, and I had several achievements pop up last night.

GeoramA

Just saw the Breaking Bad Easter Egg. id, you're awesome.

This game is so good and it's way more open than I expected. Racing, looting and clearing out sewers, doing jumps, killing enemy buggies for cash, gambling...there's so much to do here.

I mostly bought this game to hold me over for Arkham City, but it now is one of my 2011 favorites.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm having a bit of fun. But I have to say, mindless shooting isn't as fun as it used to be. Even Bulletstorm did a better job of giving me context and motif, etc.

And looks wise, man this doesn't look bad. It looks good, but it looks good in a way that doesn't impress one bit. Actually the game looks like shit at times, with some of the texturing being surprisingly low res.

JaseC

Joe Molotov said:
Then how do I get them?

I just did the Wasted Garage and it popped a message saying "ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DISABLED BECAUSE THE CONSOLE HAS BEEN ENABLED!"

Disabling of achievements is tied to certain cvars being altered. Are you using the particular rageconfig.cfg file that has a laundry list of settings as opposed to a handful?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Having spent a couple hours last night playing the game, I have to say that I really like it. It's just what I had hoped for. It's a fantastic, beautiful shooter.

I can now more easily understand why people were drawing comparisons between this and Borderlands, but those similarities are really only superficial. Both games take place in similarly themed worlds, both feature towns where you receive missions from NPCs, and both have loot.

That's really where the similarities end, though. Unlike Borderlands, each mission you are sent on typically takes place within a unique level. Those levels are all expertly designed and exciting to play through. I always felt as if Borderlands never really did much with its level design and just had you fighting mobs of enemies until you reached an arbitrary objective. It never gave me the impression of fighting through well crafted stages.

I'm also very impressed with the visuals. Wellspring is absolutely stunning to explore. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere in a way that neither Borderlands or Fallout 3 could ever hope to. As I'm still playing on PS3, I must admit that I was genuinely shocked to see visuals of this quality running at 60 fps on a console. Really impressive stuff.

JaseC

Speaking of Borderlands, playing Rage has reignited my interest in the Borderlands DLC. Back in May, I attempted to play it back-to-back with the game proper, but I burnt myself out barely 2-3 hours into the first additional chapter/episode/whatever. ~35 hours of Borderlands over the course of ~two weeks proved to be a little too much.

dark10x said:
Having spent a couple hours last night playing the game, I have to say that I really like it. It's just what I had hoped for. It's a fantastic, beautiful shooter.

I can now more easily understand why people were drawing comparisons between this and Borderlands, but those similarities are really only superficial. Both games take place in similarly themed worlds, both feature towns where you receive missions from NPCs, and both have loot.

That's really where the similarities end, though. Unlike Borderlands, each mission you are sent on typically takes place within a unique level. Those levels are all expertly designed and exciting to play through. I always felt as if Borderlands never really did much with its level design and just had you fighting mobs of enemies until you reached an arbitrary objective. It never gave me the impression of fighting through well crafted stages.

I'm also very impressed with the visuals. Wellspring is absolutely stunning to explore. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere in a way that neither Borderlands or Fallout 3 could ever hope to. As I'm still playing on PS3, I must admit that I was genuinely shocked to see visuals of this quality running at 60 fps on a console. Really impressive stuff.
Its unashamedly gamey, and I find that refreshing. IDs best games always were IMHO. It plays really well. The tools they give you are a blast. The level design is really something both in terms of atmosphere and in terms of how fun those play spaces are.

I bought it to see the new tech and because I'd been begging iD to put out a new IP for ages. I was expecting to be cooler on it than most just as I was with doom 3, which I know you especially loved, but it's sucked me right in. I forget what I was calling game of the year up to thus point, and I doubt rage will be mine after November, but it says an awful lot that it's in contention in my mind.

JaseC

plagiarize said:
Its unashamedly gamey, and I find that refreshing. IDs best games always were IMHO. It plays really well. The tools they give you are a blast. The level design is really something both in terms of atmosphere and in terms of how fun those play spaces are.

I bought it to see the new tech and because I'd been begging iD to put out a new IP for ages. I was expecting to be cooler on it than most just as I was with doom 3, which I know you especially loved, but it's sucked me right in. I forget what I was calling game of the year up to thus point, and I doubt rage will be mine after November, but it says an awful lot that it's in contention in my mind.

I've only played a few 2011 titles to completion, so my GoTY list is scarce. Portal 2 sits well and truly at the top, followed by Rage, which itself is followed by Gears 3. I don't think there's anything else to consider (I do own The Witcher 2 [Edit 2: and DE: HR], but have yet to give either the time of day).

Edit: Oh, wait, I forgot that I'll most assuredly complete Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations and Arkham City by year's end.

Joe Molotov

JaseC said:
Disabling of achievements is tied to certain cvars being altered. Are you using the particular rageconfig.cfg file that has a laundry list of settings as opposed to a handful?

I used this one that somebody posted back a few pages:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
cvaradd g_fov 20
set com_skipIntroVideo 1
set com_allowConsole 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
ik_enablesmoothing 0
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0
jobs_numthreads 4
mem_phymemblocksizem 3072
m_rawinput 1

JaseC

Joe Molotov said:
I used this one that somebody posted back a few pages:

Cut the fat so you're left with what's mentioned here (don't forget to enable the console, though. :p) If you wish to earn achievements, you'll need to start the game anew.

Edit: Skipping the intro videos is also fine, as is, I imagine, adjusting the fov. Ditch everything else to be on the safe side.

Edit 2: Actually, if you just add +exec rageconfig.cfg to your Rage launch properties, you won't need the console, so you should be able to use your existing config - minus the enabling of the console, obviously - just fine (you'll still need to start a new game for the purpose of earning achievements, however).

Solo

plagiarize said:

Agreed with all of this. As for GOTY, as of this moment its:

1. The Witcher 2
2. Deus Ex HR
3. Rage

For me.

Top Bottom