• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

aeolist

Banned
AVclub said:
I was running the latest 64 bit driver from 9/28 I think. That caused a ton of glitching and textures popping in and out. Then I installed the "Rage Performance" drivers from 10/4 and the games textures are completely fubar and it freezes right after I get out of the kill room on the 1st mission.

Edit: I noticed that the Rage driver from ATI is for 32 bit. And the game says on the box that it's optimized for 64 bit. So I don't really think it's a good idea, but installed it (then reinstalled it) non-the-less.
The driver is 64 bit also. You need to uninstall the one you have, reboot, run Driver Sweeper, reboot again, and install the new one.

Tsukumo

pakkit said:
I don't know why the script doesn't include dialogue. The only time I've heard two or more people talking to one another is sneaking up on enemies or hearing them coordinate (which is pretty neat).

I do think that the way this game is presented, it kind of needed a protagonist voice. Your button presses drive the conversation forward, and you're supposed to guess what your character said. It's a little strange, to be honest.

Really. The game would have shined with a Bioshock-Infinite-Booker-type voice over for the main character.
Back to Rage: I'm still interested to know some impression about the plot and the flow of dialogues/ characters interactions. Uprising trailer seemed to show a more story-driven shooter. The fact there are "only" three towns around made me believe the game would have been kinda Fallout-ish.

forrest

formerly nacire
aeolist said:
The driver is 64 bit also. You need to uninstall the one you have, reboot, run Driver Sweeper, reboot again, and install the new one.

This. If your installing drivers on top of drivers you could run into issues. I even think one guy had to boot in safe mode to uninstall to completely remedy his issues.

Cystm

nacire said:
This. If your installing drivers on top of drivers you could run into issues. I even think one guy had to boot in safe mode to uninstall to completely remedy his issues.

Be careful if you are using Driver Sweeper with an ATI card. More info here.

Joe Molotov

JaseC said:
Cut the fat so you're left with what's mentioned here (don't forget to enable the console, though. :p) If you wish to earn achievements, you'll need to start the game anew.

Edit: Skipping the intro videos is also fine, as is, I imagine, adjusting the fov. Ditch everything else to be on the safe side.

Edit 2: Actually, if you just add +exec rageconfig.cfg to your Rage launch properties, you won't need the console, so you should be able to use your existing config - minus the enabling of the console, obviously - just fine (you'll still need to start a new game for the purpose of earning achievements, however).

My brother is using the same rageconfig.cfg as me, and achievements are working for him. I must have added some weird start up option that the game doesn't like, I can't check it right now. Or it just hates me.

forrest

formerly nacire
Joe Molotov said:
My brother is using the same rageconfig.cfg as me, and achievements are working for him. I must have added some weird start up option that the game doesn't like, I can't check it right now. Or it just hates me.

From what I understand once you use a command that disables achievements, it will permanently be disabled for that save file.

Solo

nacire said:
From what I understand once you use a command that disables achievements, it will permanently be disabled for that save file.

So one could say that the feeling this evokes in Joe is one of...rage?

cresto

Sorry if this has been asked before, but when you do the install of all three discs on the 360, will you still have to swap out discs or no? I have the room for the 22gb install but if I still have to change discs, screw that.

AEREC

Derrick01 said:
Just got to Dead City, wow it's damn ugly. You know how the textures look really bad and muddy up close? Yeah the entire Dead City kinda looks like that, even the stuff in the distance but just not quite as bad.

I've had a couple "oh shit" moments already though so gameplay wise it's a bit better than what I've experienced up to that point.

PC or Console...Just got there on the PC version myself and textures really took a nose dive int hat place, it's almost like they forgot to texture some of the buildings and objects in that level.

At least the gunplay gets better in that area.

AEREC

ergo said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but when you do the install of all three discs on the 360, will you still have to swap out discs or no? I have the room for the 22gb install but if I still have to change discs, screw that.

For any multiple disc game son 360 you have to swap discs whether you install them or not.

Haklong

Really enjoying the game so far. Playing it on hard since Normal felt too easy. 60 FPS on consoles makes such a big difference. I was trying our Crysis on 360 to see how it turned out in comparison to the PC version and was impressed by how good it looked/played. I then went back to Rage and the transition in fps was so apparent. As great as the game looks, it's the animation that sells the whole package for me. I hope Bethesda uses the engine and animation techniques for future games. It would be great to talk to an NPC in the next Fallout and have him or her move like a character from Rage.

AEREC

Haklong said:
Really enjoying the game so far. Playing it on hard since Normal felt too easy. 60 FPS on consoles makes such a big difference. I was trying our Crysis on 360 to see how it turned out in comparison to the PC version and was impressed by how good it looked/played. I then went back to Rage and the transition in fps was so apparent. As great as the game looks, it's the animation that sells the whole package for me. I hope Bethesda uses the engine and animation techniques for future games. It would be great to talk to an NPC in the next Fallout and have him or her move like a character from Rage.

I actually hope they dont unless they add some sort of physics model and lighting to it....but then again it probably wouldn't be running at 60fps.

I would gladly take 30fps with volumetric and real time lighting and physics over 60fps in a static and un-interactive world.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
The pointer is essentially transparent for all intents and purposes
For all intents and purposes, I don't really give a shit. I asked how to remove it, not "convince me I shouldn't mind another ugly fucking crosshair in the twentieth shooter I play this year."

Derrick01

Banned
AEREC said:
I actually hope they dont unless they add some sort of physics model and lighting to it....but then again it probably wouldn't be running at 60fps.

I would gladly take 30fps with volumetric and real time lighting and physics over 60fps in a static and un-interactive world.

I'm sure Doom 4 is going to be a beast with this engine since they confirmed they won't be going for 60 fps on consoles. I'm willing to at least wait until that comes out to pass final judgement on the engine.

And it's not like Rage is awful or ugly or anything. Given what they were going for it still looks great on PC from a distance and it plays really well.

forrest

formerly nacire
Stallion Free said:
For all intents and purposes, I don't really give a shit. I asked how to remove it, not "convince me I shouldn't mind another ugly fucking crosshair in the twentieth shooter I play this year."

I wish there was some sort of wiki for the cvars and such for Rage. I've been trying to figure out how to get the in game screenshots not to be compressed when taken with the screenshot command. What's nice, is that it autohides the HUD, which I can't figure out the command for that shit either. Unfortunately, it saves them out as jpeg with some very visible compression.

I'm sure all of these things are one command line away from being a possibility!!! I did try many of the doom 3 commands, but rage isn't recognizing many of them.

aeolist

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
How are the Anarchy weapons anyway? Basically cheats (as they usually are) or... ?
Knuckles are great and the double barreled shotgun is awesome. Shoots both barrels at once and takes a few seconds to reload so it's not really cheap but it's fun as hell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Geoff9920 said:
This is so true. I spent several hours playing last night and I must have spent a good hour of that just wondering around wellspring. Also, it might just be my own ignorance, but I had no idea id's artists were this talented. The art design in this game has been incredible.
Yep. It's unfortunate that the textures appear blurry when viewed up close, but megatextures do have a huge impact on the visuals overall. The lack of tiling gives the impression that the entire world is painted. It's as if they mapped the concept art directly onto the geometry. If there were some way to allow for higher resolution textures at close proximity, it would be truly beyond anything else. It really feels like the future of texturing.

garath

Tsukumo said:
Really. The game would have shined with a Bioshock-Infinite-Booker-type voice over for the main character.
Back to Rage: I'm still interested to know some impression about the plot and the flow of dialogues/ characters interactions. Uprising trailer seemed to show a more story-driven shooter. The fact there are "only" three towns around made me believe the game would have been kinda Fallout-ish.

Plot is thin. Some people in here will even argue it's "amateur hour". The backdrop for the story is really cool imo, but they don't do much to flesh it out that I've seen so far. All the characters are selfish and just send you off on missions to further their own gains. The protagonist doesn't speak and there's no real development there. Dialog flows decent enough for the story. You do feel like they are actual conversations - albeit one sided.

I do like the interactions. People will speak to you when you get close and sometimes you'll get missions and things from them. Most people at least have a line or two when you "talk" to them the first time. It's pretty neat in that regard.

Solo said:
Playing an id game for story is like watching a Michael Bay movie for character development.

^^
Best description of the story right here.

Danne-Danger said:
How are the Anarchy weapons anyway? Basically cheats (as they usually are) or... ?

I guess the armor could be considered a cheat. When you first get presented with armor you have an option between 3 different bonuses or you can take the Crimson armor for all 3 bonuses.

The weapons aren't a cheat. The double barreled is awesome but it is one shot reload. The knuckles are cool and hit real hard but who brings a knife to a gun fight? :)

Solo

aeolist said:
RPS review is up if it hasn't been linked yet: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/06/rage-pc-review/

I agree with basically every point in it.

Great summation:

It’d be easy to lament that this brilliant technology, once it’s working, is wasted on a mere shooter. True, I’d love to see id Tech 5 also put to use on something more wild and free, but I’m also very happy that it’s powering this shooter. Rage is often guilty of ordinariness and blandness, but it definitely pulls off being more than just a journey of unthinking destruction. The lengths it goes to for world and character design, and its refreshing lack of interference or handicapping in terms of its large and satisfying arsenal, results in something far and above most anything out or due out this year that’s predominantly based around moving a reticule over a man/mutant’s face. It has flow, it has character, it has life and it has stair-climbing friendly spider-bots. id have learned a lot, and without abandoning why we used to love them in the first place.

<3 id and <3 Rage

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Joe Molotov said:

Either is possible. :p

Gvaz

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I guess you're better at shooting than me, I can't play games like RO because it doesn't have it.

Sure it's the middle of the screen but fuck I hate guesswork

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
AVclub said:
I was running the latest 64 bit driver from 9/28 I think. That caused a ton of glitching and textures popping in and out. Then I installed the "Rage Performance" drivers from 10/4 and the games textures are completely fubar and it freezes right after I get out of the kill room on the 1st mission.

Edit: I noticed that the Rage driver from ATI is for 32 bit. And the game says on the box that it's optimized for 64 bit. So I don't really think it's a good idea, but installed it (then reinstalled it) non-the-less.

uninstall all the ati drivers completely. use drive cleaner get rid of all ati reminents
install 11.9 64bit drivers then get the latest rage drivers(one thats an exe) and just extract the atioglxx.dll from the pakage to the root of your rage directory..works perfect for me with 6990.

rumor is theres gonna be a new driver set today so could just wait for it if you want

AVclub

aeolist said:
I didn't use "driver sweeper, but I did run the uninstall provided by ATI. Then rebooted, then installed the Rage drivers and rebooted again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
I guess you're better at shooting than me, I can't play games like RO because it doesn't have it.

Sure it's the middle of the screen but fuck I hate guesswork
95% of modern games have the "aim-down-sights" function, completely removing the need for a crosshair. When fired from the hip these weapons are generally inaccurate, making the crosshair even more meaningless.

Inkwell

Banned
Loving the combat in this. So far the enemy variety seems nice. I like that some areas have Doom style mobs while others have fewer enemies but feels more tactical. My only gripe with the gameplay is that exploration and side missions don't seem to have enough reward involved. It's great earning money so I can buy supplies and upgrades, but I wish I was finding more upgrades directly. Playing on PC there's obviously some graphics issues, but I've mostly alleviated them through config editing.

pakkit said:
ANARCHY EDITION

Anybody who used the Crimson Elite Armor is a cheap ass punk.
I actually didn't know this armor combined everything like it does. I thought it meant it did everything but to a lesser extent, and I usually go for a more rounded character in games. Also, I haven't used the fists or double barrel shotgun once since playing the game. I didn't even pay attention enough to know that they were part of the DLC you get from pre-ordering.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so it seems that the game turned out to be good apparently. Looking forward to playing it when I return from vacation.

sajj316

wondering ..

Is the SSD PS3 version on par with a fully installed 360 version with respect to texture streaming? Anyone know. Was thinking of investing into an SSD drive for the PS3 and this might get me to do it.

Gvaz

Banned
Stallion Free said:
95% of modern games have the "aim-down-sights" function, completely removing the need for a crosshair. When fired from the hip these weapons are generally inaccurate, making the crosshair even more meaningless.
I agree, though I hate that feature, it slows you down too much. I feel that would be better on consoles to make up for the aiming with a stick.

I'm really torn between 360 and PS3 versions of this game (as a 4890 owner pc is out of the question). On one hand, my 360 is kinda old and clunky and I hate swapping discs, but on the other hand resolution drops on the PS3 sounds scary.

BeeDog

jakonovski said:
I'm really torn between 360 and PS3 versions of this game (as a 4890 owner pc is out of the question). On one hand, my 360 is kinda old and clunky and I hate swapping discs, but on the other hand resolution drops on the PS3 sounds scary.

Both console versions drop the resolution dynamically depending on the load, but the jury's still out on which version is dropping it more often/lower. Wait for the DF analysis.

JRW

AEREC said:
PC or Console...Just got there on the PC version myself and textures really took a nose dive int hat place, it's almost like they forgot to texture some of the buildings and objects in that level.

At least the gunplay gets better in that area.

Have you applied the tweaks shown here? They use dead city as a before / after comparison and it seems to help quite a bit.

Check out the Comparison animation.

Gvaz

Banned
jakonovski said:
What are you talking about, I have a fucking laptop with these components:
i7-2630qm @ 2.6
4gb ddr3
Quadro 1000m

which is worse than my PC:

Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.7
8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

and my laptop runs this like butter, so I'm 99% sure my PC would as well.

garath said:
I guess the armor could be considered a cheat. When you first get presented with armor you have an option between 3 different bonuses or you can take the Crimson armor for all 3 bonuses.

The weapons aren't a cheat. The double barreled is awesome but it is one shot reload. The knuckles are cool and hit real hard but who brings a knife to a gun fight? :)
Alright, sounds good! As long as you get to choose. I'll be playing Nightmare anyway so maybe I'll need it ehehe... probably not! Mohaha

Goddamn you Friday, hurry up.
(no racist)

madmackem

Dear lord this looks good on 360, sitting back from the tv a bit makes it looks even better. Loving the gun play, glad i stuck with my preorder after all the pc hate on here i was worried about getting it on console but it runs well looks great and is fun to play.

Gvaz said:
What are you talking about, I have a fucking laptop with these components:
i7-2630qm @ 2.6
4gb ddr3
Quadro 1000m

which is worse than my PC:

Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.7
8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

and my laptop runs this like butter, so I'm 99% sure my PC would as well.

This ain't the pc tech thread, so suffice to say I'm not trusting that it will work properly.

sk3tch

aeolist said:
Knuckles are great and the double barreled shotgun is awesome. Shoots both barrels at once and takes a few seconds to reload so it's not really cheap but it's fun as hell.

I didn't redeem my Anarchy edition code (sold it for $10) and I have a double-barreled shotgun on PC?

RAGE is structured like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but replace dungeons with levels of traditional first person shooting, and replace Epona with a car.

I just realised this. That's a pretty easy way to explain to someone how open it is and isn't.

JaseC said:
So there are only two hub areas in the game (Wellspring and Subway Town, inclusive of their respective wastelands)?

Edit: Clarity.

Yep, two hubs. As much as I enjoyed the game, and I did it enjoy it a lot, I was disappointed with how short it was. It took me about 10 hours to finish and I did almost all of the sidequests.

Top Bottom