• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

AEREC

WrikaWrek said:
I really don't understand how anybody can be impressed by the graphics here. I am shocked at the praise, I even played it in 720p on my t.v to see if I imagined it as an Xbox 360 game I would find it impressive. Gears 3 looks better.

Hell I just came off from finishing Mass Effect 2 and I ain't impressed when compared to it either. Feel like I played a better looking game that did open areas even better than this last year, Read Dead Redemption.

This doesn't even challenge for best graphics on the P.C, Witcher 2 felt like watching CGI compared to this game.

But the core gameplay, damn does it feel good. If they got some more creative folks that could add a compelling narrative and compelling characters it would be amazing, they would really make something very very special.

As it is it's just fun. Wish is better than many.

I dont get all the praise either...RAGE is a solid looking game but it sacrifices so much in order to obtain 60 fps.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
AEREC said:
I dont get all the praise either...RAGE is a solid looking game but it sacrifices so much in order to obtain 60 fps.
Yeah, it's like 30fps shooters sacrificing responsive, tight gameplay for visuals. Whatareyagonnado?

Zefah said:
Are you sure this is the case? Maybe for some shadows it is, but I distinctly remember seeing macroblocking corruption (which is obviously a result of image compression) even on the shadow portions of the environment.
if it wasn't using shadow maps, you wouldn't see the environment lighting effect the vehicles and models. i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it does.

AEREC

bob_arctor said:
Yeah, it's like 30fps shooters sacrificing responsive, tight gameplay for visuals. Whatareyagonnado?

I guess it has to be one or the other, but I doubt hardly anyone one would notice a very slight reduction in responsiveness on consoles.

Gvaz

Banned
A bunch of people are saying they did most if not close to all the quests and it took them 8 hours

You have to remember with reviews it seems a lot of them do this thing (and you see it sometimes in livestreams) people love to stare at the ground...or get lost in very linear corridors, or backtrack to places when they don't need to...

Victrix

*beard*
AEREC said:
I guess it has to be one or the other, but I doubt hardly anyone one would notice a very slight reduction in responsiveness on consoles.

Never make blanket assumptions about gamers. I'll take smooth 60fps gameplay over added visual flare almost every single time. The only times I don't care if its 30 is slow paced rpgs and the like.

If it's multiplayer, forget it, its not even a question. 60fps+ or death.

It's not a subjective thing, 60fps+ games are objectively smoother, with faster response times to inputs.

Marco1 said:
How long is the game if I am not trying to speed through it?
Thanks.

It took me about 10 hours and I did most of the sidequests. But there are some things I didn't finish and I'm sure I missed other things as well.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Victrix said:
Never make blanket assumptions about gamers. I'll take smooth 60fps gameplay over added visual flare almost every single time. The only times I don't care if its 30 is slow paced rpgs and the like.

It's not a subjective thing, 60fps+ games are objectively smoother, with faster response times to inputs.
See, now that's what I'm talking about. 60fps or death!

Psy-Phi

WrikaWrek said:
I really don't understand how anybody can be impressed by the graphics here. I am shocked at the praise, I even played it in 720p on my t.v to see if I imagined it as an Xbox 360 game I would find it impressive. Gears 3 looks better.

Hell I just came off from finishing Mass Effect 2 and I ain't impressed when compared to it either. Feel like I played a better looking game that did open areas even better than this last year, Read Dead Redemption.

This doesn't even challenge for best graphics on the P.C, Witcher 2 felt like watching CGI compared to this game.

But the core gameplay, damn does it feel good. If they got some more creative folks that could add a compelling narrative and compelling characters it would be amazing, they would really make something very very special.

It impresses me visually. And I just finished playing through Hard Reset and Dead Island, two very gorgeous games (in very different technical ways).

What's impressive, visually, about RAGE is the draw distance and how far the detail that is there goes. The textures need a bit of work on some objects (or I need a sGPUwith more VRAM, 1.2 aint cuttin it), but overall it's very impressive, at the frame rate it's hitting, for the fidelity I'm seeing.

Hard Reset also ran at 60FPS on my system, and definitley looks better in many technical ways. But it's also a different art style, and a game that's all within a city setting, and one very strict type of gameplay.

Dead Island is probably as open as RAGE, but the driving in it is very limited, the frame rate also solid 60, but the pop-in was much greater there. And the characters didn't look as good as they do in RAGE.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
game looks much better then Resistance 3 or any other fps game on sony machine and it runs so smooth !!!
Ehh, yes and no. I do think Resistance 3 and Killzone 2/3 are all more detailed than Rage and feature much higher quality lighting and shader work, but the 60 fps and texture variety of Rage really sell it. It's very impressive looking.

I really don't understand how anybody can be impressed by the graphics here.
It depends on what you're looking for.

Rage has a very DIFFERENT look from those games. It doesn't focus on throwing tons of shaders and lights around, rather, creating very complex scenes without tiling. As you look around you'll see that almost every surface is uniquely painted. This combined with the excellent art direction, color grading, and high framerate really pack a punch.

I think it's very impressive to behold and I appreciate the sacrifices they made for performance.

Gvaz

Banned
Victrix said:

I personally can deal with lower fps (usually no lower than 25 but 30 is my soft minimum) if the game looks better as a tradeoff. The only time fps really matters is in MP and I hardly ever play MP.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Gvaz said:
I personally can deal with lower fps (usually no lower than 25 but 30 is my soft minimum) if the game looks better as a tradeoff. The only time fps really matters is in MP and I hardly ever play MP.
For single player, I still prefer 60fps, for the mentioned benefits to responsiveness and movement but also for IQ. 30fps always looks blurry/smudged to me somehow. Of course this means I'm screwed because I don't have a powerful PC and am strictly console gaming save for emu stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah most console games are 30fps at sub 720p.

30fps for me on the pc doesn't look blurry or smudged at all, but it feels sluggish however.

sajj316

Grinchy said:
lol people aren't going to go out and buy a new expensive hard drive and have to transfer all their shit over just because of RAGE

Don't take my comment too seriously. Outside of id fixing the streaming issues via patch, this is the only option. If folks were on the fence about the benefits of SSD as a PS3 HD, this is just another good example. Basically anything that has to do with hard disc reading/writing...

I wouldn't do it for RAGE specifically, just overall experience.

Norml

alske said:
I'm seeing a ton of texture pop in on PS3 in normal gameplay. Is anyone else? Hard drive problem?
From what I remember,Carmack said that is a problem with the megatexture technology.

sk3tch

IronRinn said:
That's so weird. I wonder if they messed up or if they're just automatically unlocking the content for games activated during a certain time period.

Yeah, looks like they either messed up or they are just giving it away to those who activate their game on Steam in a certain time period. I have the Crimson Elite armor now, too. :)

(click to enlarge)

So...if you have the PC version, sell your Anarchy Edition/Sewers codes online and save yourself some money off of your purchase. :)

sk3tch said:
Yeah, looks like they either messed up or they are just giving it away to those who activate their game on Steam in a certain time period. I have the Crimson Elite armor now, too. :)

(click to enlarge)

So...if you have the PC version, sell your Anarchy Edition/Sewers codes online and save yourself some money off of your purchase. :)

they work on other platforms? couldnt who would buy them if its automatic?

Salsa

i70NUq2O8t7MZ.PNG

zzzz

sk3tch

cleveridea said:
they work on other platforms? couldnt who would buy them if its automatic?

Probably folks that bought an International key for cheap (i.e. Russian/etc.). I dunno. I sold mine...dude was happy. Code is a Steam code in the PC game. So it wouldn't work on other platforms.

Glassboy

Man the checkpoints in this game are fucking awful sometimes. I just lost about 45 minutes worth of playing because I forgot to save. What really bothers me is there was at least three different times when the game felt like it should have auto saved. I was really into the game, now I don't feel like trudging through the same crap again. Fuck

Wallach

Glassboy said:
Man the checkpoints in this game are fucking awful sometimes. I just lost about 45 minutes worth of playing because I forgot to save. What really bothers me is there was at least three different times when the game felt like it should have auto saved. I was really into the game, now I don't feel like trudging through the same crap again. Fuck

If there's no loading screen, it doesn't save. So if you want to save more often you need to do it manually.

Glassboy said:

Look on the brightside - you won't ever make that mistake again.

Glassboy said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take a good 45 seconds to manually save on the PS3. My only gripe with the game so far. Everything else has been fantastic so far.

eek5

LocoMrPollock said:
Look on the brightside - you won't ever make that mistake again.
ROFL. I made that mistake like 3 times already. Not anymore though... (i hope)

edit: For people who have gone into the sewers, is it worth it? I'm renting the game so wondering if it is worthwhile to get or not. :eek:

msv

Is it possible to skip the races? I just want to shoot with my guns, not drive around in laps in that stupid buggy.

Wallach

eek5 said:
ROFL. I made that mistake like 3 times already. Not anymore though... (i hope)

edit: For people who have gone into the sewers, is it worth it? I'm renting the game so wondering if it is worthwhile to get or not. :eek:

No, I wouldn't pay for the sewers DLC if you're only renting.

DaBuddaDa

msv said:
Is it possible to skip the races? I just want to shoot with my guns, not drive around in laps in that stupid buggy.
Only the first couple are required, after that you don't need to do the races.

Truespeed

WrikaWrek said:

It's a 60FPS game. The mere fact that it's in the neighborhood of a 30FPS game like Gears 3 is a testament to its quality. Imagine what they could have done if Carmack was allowed 2x the time to render the frame. Or try imagining how Gears 3 would look if you took away 1/2 of the render time - I'm guessing not very pretty.

msv

DaBuddaDa said:
Only the first couple are required, after that you don't need to do the races.
I have to do the race for the cuprino buggy right? I like driving from one place to the other, but the races are really grating on my nerves now. Feel like I'm working just to get to the parts where I can 'play' again.

Glassboy

Wallach said:
If there's no loading screen, it doesn't save. So if you want to save more often you need to do it manually.
The problem was is that I was in the dead city and really into it that I completely forgot to manually save at any point during those 45 minutes. What really sucks is that I'm playing on PC and it is easy as hell to auto save, so it makes it that much more frustrating that I didn't. Oh well, I probably just go through it again while listening to last week's weekend confirmed.

eek5

msv said:
I have to do the race for the cuprino buggy right? I like driving from one place to the other, but the races are really grating on my nerves now. Feel like I'm working just to get to the parts where I can 'play' again.

Yeah that's the only one you have to do. You can get racing certificates
by talking to the chick in the bar. she gives you some certificates for killing enemy vehicles in the wasteland
. You can basically win all of the races by just upgrading your engine too. You don't even have to boost really, just take turns clean and you'll be in first in most of the races. The only ones I had to replay a couple times were the rallies

decon

dark10x said:
Ehh, yes and no. I do think Resistance 3 and Killzone 2/3 are all more detailed than Rage and feature much higher quality lighting and shader work, but the 60 fps and texture variety of Rage really sell it. It's very impressive looking.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Rage has a very DIFFERENT look from those games. It doesn't focus on throwing tons of shaders and lights around, rather, creating very complex scenes without tiling. As you look around you'll see that almost every surface is uniquely painted. This combined with the excellent art direction, color grading, and high framerate really pack a punch.

I think it's very impressive to behold and I appreciate the sacrifices they made for performance.
Exactly. This game has style, it looks like a game and controls and plays like a game. No weird jumpy shadows or other weird stuff - just clean and detailed graphics.

forrest

formerly nacire
WrikaWrek said:

Because your analyzing all of the micro details, just step back and take it all in. Focus on the shit your supposed to and not some rock or microscope. The image quality in motion is worth being impressed over. Shit looks killer.

IoCaster

SalsaShark said:

You're almost there bro. Make sure to set your launch options in your game shortcut and use those 8K config settings for max ownage. Have fun and see ya on the other side of Dead City. :)

Man

IoCaster said:
You're almost there bro. Make sure to set your launch options in your game shortcut and use those 8K config settings for max ownage. Have fun and see ya on the other side of Dead City. :)
What are these?

AEREC

Wallach said:

It doesnt even autosave after most laoding screens either...makes no sense.

Renting the game, and loving it so far.

At the moment, I'm stuck making a decision between getting a Fabricator and Roughneck armor.

Which do you think may be the better option for Normal gameplay?

sk3tch

Man said:
What are these?

Steam > Right Click on Game > Properties > Set Launch Options...

Head over to the RAGE PC performance thread for more details. Here's what I use:

+set com_allowConsole 1 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +cvaradd g_fov 20

- Turns on the console command option
- Skips intro video
- Changes FOV (default is 80, so 100)

You should create a rageconfig.cfg file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base, too.

Here's mine (Nvidia):

Code:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192 
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192 
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192 
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192 
vt_restart 
vt_maxaniso 4 
image_anisotropy 4
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_cudaBudget 17

Man

Thanks. I made the .cfg earlier but I see you have some more juice in yours, that being the Cuda aspect. What are those specific advantages?

I have a 460 GTX. 1GB dedicated memory so borderland but let's see what it manages.

Dilli666

Couldn't wait anymore and unlocked the game via VPN. I've just played two hours and I'm totally blasted away. The graphics and atmosphere are just great. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

akira28

I was going to get this on PC but I keep hearing all the jokes that this is a console port on PC. Opinions? I'm glad I checked before I put my boots on. I was going to get that 20$ off Kmart deal.

Top Bottom