• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LastWindow said:
Yep, two hubs. As much as I enjoyed the game, and I did it enjoy it a lot, I was disappointed with how short it was. It took me about 10 hours to finish and I did almost all of the sidequests.

Thoroughly disappointing. I had thought there would be at least 3.

george_us

plagiarize said:
RAGE is structured like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but replace dungeons with levels of traditional first person shooting, and replace Epona with a car.

I just realised this. That's a pretty easy way to explain to someone how open it is and isn't.
That explains why I'm loving the shit out of this game.

IoCaster

Got back to the game and finished off some races to upgrade my buggy. Finally made my way to Dead City to get the
defib upgrade
and holy crap was that a blast. I was happy to see that there were only a couple of instances of monster closets and most of the encounters were challenging but not cheap. The boss battle had some old school vibe for me and was fun as hell. Great atmosphere, combat and level design. Good stuff.

IronRinn

sk3tch said:
I didn't redeem my Anarchy edition code (sold it for $10) and I have a double-barreled shotgun on PC?

I tried to redeem my Anarchy Edition codes and the message told me that my "account already owned these products". I'm not sure if that renders those codes completely useless or not. You'll probably find out when the buyer attempts to enter them though.

Derrick01

Banned
Is anyone else abusing those boomerang things? I usually don't enter a "dungeon" until I'm carrying at least 100 of those, and at least 30 grenades for any armored tough enemy.

Plus they're fun as hell to use :)

Solo

Derrick01 said:
Is anyone else abusing those boomerang things? I usually don't enter a "dungeon" until I'm carrying at least 100 of those, and at least 30 grenades for any armored tough enemy.

Wingsticks = boss

Derrick01 said:

Oh, yeah. I loaded up on them and they're all used.
Wait until you get the advanced version. :)

Derrick01 said:

i wouldn't say i'm abusing them. i use them occasionally. even on hard Rage is pretty easy, so i'm sticking to the weapons that i find most fun, rather than the most powerful.

i kind of like that there's a wide variety of weapons and toys to use... rather than forcing me into a particular weapon and play style due to other weapons not being powerful enough.

you could play this just with the pistol no problem, for example, so i don't really see why you'd use the wingsticks, powerful as they are, unless you found them the most fun, cause any weapon seems viable.

i might be able to kill a room of enemies faster with wingsticks, but spider-bots and bomb cars are way more fun for me.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm pretty much at the point where I only use my guns on enemies that have guns and hide which is probably only 30-40% of them. Most that charge me get a nice wingstick to the dome.

sk3tch

Danne-Danger said:
One that looks like this?

I think so...maybe slightly different. But either way it is dual-barreled and awesome. :)

IronRinn said:
I tried to redeem my Anarchy Edition codes and the message told me that my "account already owned these products". I'm not sure if that renders those codes completely useless or not. You'll probably find out when the buyer attempts to enter them though.

I rec'd the same message when I tried to redeem the Sewer missions code. So I sold 'em both together for $10. Buyer already said all was good.

All I cared about was getting this $60 game back to $50 like it should be. :)

legbone

Solo said:
Wingsticks = boss

yep, my favorite weapon in a game in a long, long time.

also, everyone seems to be installing all three discs. is that because they are wanting to play multiplayer? campaign only requires first two right? or am i doing something wrong?

T Ghost

Solo said:
Playing an id game for story is like watching a Michael Bay movie for character development.
QFT

But I got to say that their games have amazing atmosphere. Rage has great atmosphere and excels in settings and art. Story and narrative are quite below mediocre though. My $0.02

Definity

Does anyone just fire the double barrel shotgun to hear the sound and watch the animation, lol. I find myself doing that when I have spare ammo because it's so fucking bad ass.

CAW

jakonovski said:
I'm really torn between 360 and PS3 versions of this game (as a 4890 owner pc is out of the question)
I'm running a XFX 4890 XT with an E8400 3.0 CPU and the game runs fine (with some of the fixes listed in this thread and the PC tech thread). Also running at 1920x1080 with 8X AA.

forrest

formerly nacire
Whoever said the shotgun wasn't satisfying obviously didn't craft the pop rocket ammo! Was wondering when I was going to see a full on gib!

nacire said:
Whoever said the shotgun wasn't satisfying obviously didn't craft the pop rocket ammo! Was wondering when I was going to see a full on gib!
you hadn't been using grenades? they gib really nicely too.

i find all the guns satisfying to be honest. like, the crossbow. nailing headshots with that thing feels so good.

Definity said:
Does anyone just fire the double barrel shotgun to hear the sound and watch the animation, lol. I find myself doing that when I have spare ammo because it's so fucking bad ass.
Ya, the double barrel shotgun is fucking amazing. It's so incredibly satisfying to shoot people with.

Hypatia

plagiarize said:
RAGE is structured like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but replace dungeons with levels of traditional first person shooting, and replace Epona with a car.

Wooooooo, more hype!

Also I wish these 5 hours would go faster. Damn you Europe.

Derrick01

Banned
So is feltrite used for anything other than the first thing offered? I've picked up like 15 more at least since then and I just want to know if it's ok to finally sell them.

Hypatia said:
Wooooooo, more hype!

Also I wish these 5 hours would go faster. Damn you Europe.
hey, i'm not saying it's as good as those games or anything, just saying if you want to understand how the game is structured, that that's the closest thing i can think of.

it's really good though.

Derrick01 said:
So is feltrite used for anything other than the first thing offered? I've picked up like 15 more at least since then and I just want to know if it's ok to finally sell them.

I did almost every sidequest and tried talking to everyone and it was never brought up so I sold them. Towards the beginning of the game a character makes it seem like they can be traded for special items but I guess he just meant selling them.

I had a chance to play a good few hours of this. I have mixed feelings which I won't get into. I'll keep all my personal feelings about it to myself and just enjoy the game for what it is, which is pretty amazing and jaw-dropping when it comes to the tech part of it.

I just had a few questions to those who got further into the game:

1. There's no day/night cycles in this is there? I didn't see any so far so I guess there isn't. Are there night areas? How about weather effects?
2. So far, all I see is a large wasteland and a lot of indoor environments. But does the game open up with more varied environments? Maybe like a snowy or volcanic mountainous areas, swamps, large forest areas with vegetation, etc. and things like that?

If the whole game takes place on the wasteland, I wonder if Id/Bethesda is planning DLCs with different areas to explore? A few reviews did say that they felt the game ended abruptly and that they never felt a sense of climax or closure. That to me signifies that DLC is probably planned.

Anyway, I think the game is fun and the graphics are just some of the most amazing I've ever seen. The 60fps is just absolutely incredible! But as far as gameplay goes, it does kind of feel like a single player Borderlands without the RPG elements/loot system. I'm not saying that in a negative way but that's just what the game felt like so far.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The core gameplay is very refined. The weapons, the enemies, the fluidity...I really feel a difference there, and see it, when compared to most shooters.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I had a chance to play a good few hours of this. I have mixed feelings which I won't get into. I'll keep all my personal feelings about it to myself and just enjoy the game for what it is, which is pretty amazing and jaw-dropping when it comes to the tech part of it.

1. There's no day/night cycles in this is there? I didn't see any so far so I guess there isn't. Are there night areas? How about weather effects?
2. So far, all I see is a large wasteland and a lot of indoor environments. But does the game open up with more varied environments? Maybe like a snowy or volcanic mountainous areas, swamps, large forest areas with vegetation, etc. and things like that?

If the whole game takes place on the wasteland, I wonder if Id/Bethesda is planning DLCs with different areas to explore? A few reviews did say that they felt the game ended abruptly and that they never felt a sense of climax or closure. That to me signifies that DLC is probably planned.

Anyway, I think the game is fun and the graphics are just some of the most amazing I've ever seen. The 60fps is just absolutely incredible! But as far as gameplay goes, it does kind of feel like a single player Borderlands without the RPG elements/loot system. I'm not saying that in a negative way but that's just what the game felt like so far.
there are no dynamic day/night transitions and no dynamic weather effects that roll in and out, but there are more than desert areas. i'm less than half way through and i've visited a couple of environments like the ones you listed.

Derrick01

Banned
LastWindow said:
I did almost every sidequest and tried talking to everyone and it was never brought up so I sold them. Towards the beginning of the game a character makes it seem like they can be traded for special items but I guess he just meant selling them.

No there is at least 1 thing you can get for 20 of them, the guy is in
the wellspring bar, sitting by the girl you go to when you kill bandit vehicles

He's not there at first but after a few main story quests in wellspring he's there.

Sean

Banned
Question about campaign/Wellspring:

I am on the quest with Captain Marshall where he strongly implies that you can no longer come back to Wellspring (not safe etc). I am wondering if I should do all the mini-games, job board stuff, and races by Jackie Weeks to upgrade my buggy, etc. Or will that stuff all be in the next area I'm going to? Can you return to Wellspring?

Decado

madmackem said:
Dear lord this looks good on 360, sitting back from the tv a bit makes it looks even better. Loving the gun play, glad i stuck with my preorder after all the pc hate on here i was worried about getting it on console but it runs well looks great and is fun to play.
Did you do the install? I'm wondering how it performs without the install as I don't have a HD in my 360 (constantly swapping games on XBLA sucks...but I don't want to buy an over-priced HD)..

Derrick01 said:
No there is at least 1 thing you can get for 20 of them, the guy is in
the wellspring bar, sitting by the girl you go to when you kill bandit vehicles

He's not there at first but after a few main story quests in wellspring he's there.

Damn, I missed that. Makes me wonder what else I missed because I didn't go back after certain quests.

WrikaWrek said:
The core gameplay is very refined. The weapons, the enemies, the fluidity...I really feel a difference there, and see it, when compared to most shooters.
I think the shooting and the detail Id put into the animation is some of the best I've seen. The way the bad guys react where you shoot them is pretty detailed. I saw one mutant crawling on the floor after I shot him in the leg. It's attention to details like that that really make the game more amazing.

The game isn't perfect by any means and I can point out many things that I wish was in the game when it comes to story and gameplay. But as a entertaining shooter, I think it's successful for what it's trying to do.

plagiarize said:
there are no dynamic day/night transitions and no dynamic weather effects that roll in and out, but there are more than desert areas. i'm less than half way through and i've visited a couple of environments like the ones you listed.
Bummer about the lack of day/night and weather, but I'm glad about the different environments. I hope it's vary varied so it won't feel repetitive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

No weather effects or anything dynamic in this game. idtech5, or at least its implementation in RAGE is, forces pretty much everything to be completely static. Just about everything is a part of the megatexture. There's no real-time lighting going on here. All of the shadows and lighting effects, etc. are painted on to the textures (it's really jarring to see the real-time NPC shadows mix with environment 'shadows'. The whole thing is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, really. It lets them achieve 60fps easily, since there are almost no real-time special effects or post-processing going on, but I think the cost is pretty large.

It's kind of like how Myst looked amazing at the time, but when it came down to it, it was really just a bunch of slightly interactive still CG pictures and photographs. idtech5, to me, feels like that concept taken and applied to a 3D environment.

Zefah said:
No weather effects or anything dynamic in this game. idtech5, or at least its implementation in RAGE is, forces pretty much everything to be completely static. Just about everything is a part of the megatexture. There's no real-time lighting going on here. All of the shadows and lighting effects, etc. are painted on to the textures (it's really jarring to see the real-time NPC shadows mix with environment 'shadows'. The whole thing is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, really. It lets them achieve 60fps easily, since there are almost no real-time special effects or post-processing going on, but I think the cost is pretty large.

It's kind of like how Myst looked amazing at the time, but when it came down to it, it was really just a bunch of slightly interactive still CG pictures and photographs. idtech5, to me, feels like that concept taken and applied to a 3D environment.
I see. I guess Id had to make some sacrifices for the 60fps. I guess in this case, it's a pretty good sacrifice since the best feature in this game is the framerate, which makes the shooting a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure Id has the tech to incorporate all that you mentioned. Maybe on the PS4/XBOX720, we'll see the engine at its full potential. My mind isn't smart enough to imagine the possibilities!
Mr Solo Dolo said:
Sooooooo worth picking up for the 360 then?
Yes, but only if you can install 22GB worth of space. You can also install one disc at a time, but I think the game recommend installing all 3 discs for the optimal experience.

Zefah said:

it's not quite true about the lighting. it's pre baked, but the shadows aren't just painted into the textures. basically, a pre calculated shadow map is overlayed over the world so characters and vehicles and such will appear to be in the shade or in the light accordingly which they wouldn't if the lighting was just painted into the world, but yes, shadows cast by the environment look very different to dynamic shadows cast by characters.

this same 'cheat' is used in other games this gen, like Mirrors Edge.

what i like though, is knowing that in a couple of years we'll be able to have Rage texturing with real time lighting. that's going to be amazing.

IronRinn

sk3tch said:
I rec'd the same message when I tried to redeem the Sewer missions code. So I sold 'em both together for $10. Buyer already said all was good.

All I cared about was getting this $60 game back to $50 like it should be. :)

That's so weird. I wonder if they messed up or if they're just automatically unlocking the content for games activated during a certain time period.

Hypatia

plagiarize said:
hey, i'm not saying it's as good as those games or anything, just saying if you want to understand how the game is structured, that that's the closest thing i can think of.

it's really good though.

I just think that's a great structure for an FPS. Not a huge fan of the Fallout/Borderlands ideal or the ultra linear CoD stuff so the OoT comparisons sound great.

Also I like the idea of my car being Epona.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
it's not quite true about the lighting. it's pre baked, but the shadows aren't just painted into the textures. basically, a pre calculated shadow map is overlayed over the world so characters and vehicles and such will appear to be in the shade or in the light accordingly which they wouldn't if the lighting was just painted into the world, but yes, shadows cast by the environment look very different to dynamic shadows cast by characters.

this same 'cheat' is used in other games this gen, like Mirrors Edge.

what i like though, is knowing that in a couple of years we'll be able to have Rage texturing with real time lighting. that's going to be amazing.

Are you sure this is the case? Maybe for some shadows it is, but I distinctly remember seeing macroblocking corruption (which is obviously a result of image compression) even on the shadow portions of the environment.

Marco1

Just started playing this on xbox360 and it is beautiful. How he got this running 60FPS is beyond me.
I know the textures are not great but as a whole it looks and plays like a dream. This is proof that next gen 60FPS should be something every game has to be before it's released.
I really hope we see a sequel or more games using this engine.
Thanks ID and loving the bobblehead on the vehicle at the very start.

Nakimushi

Banned
Ps3 version looks amazing !!!!
I saw some crappy screens etc that it runs in crappy resolution etc and have jaggies but game looks super sharp and beautiful ... + 60 fps !!!
comon people
stop posting bullshits
game looks much better then Resistance 3 or any other fps game on sony machine and it runs so smooth !!!
its crazy

Marco1

celestial body said:
Noob question: can I play Rage on a non xboxlive gamertag? there's not some essential update I need to install before I can play?
There is a 8MB update but I don't know what it is.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I really don't understand how anybody can be impressed by the graphics here. I am shocked at the praise, I even played it in 720p on my t.v to see if I imagined it as an Xbox 360 game I would find it impressive. Gears 3 looks better.

Hell I just came off from finishing Mass Effect 2 and I ain't impressed when compared to it either. Feel like I played a better looking game that did open areas even better than this last year, Read Dead Redemption.

This doesn't even challenge for best graphics on the P.C, Witcher 2 felt like watching CGI compared to this game.

But the core gameplay, damn does it feel good. If they got some more creative folks that could add a compelling narrative and compelling characters it would be amazing, they would really make something very very special.

As it is it's just fun. Wish is better than many.

Marco1 said:
How long is the game if I am not trying to speed through it?
Thanks.
I'm hearing from 10-12 hours that can be stretched to close to 20 (according to Gamespot) if you spend time with side-quests, exploration, and racing. One review said it was 6-8 hours, but I highly doubt that's true. (It was a really negative review).

I say it's about 15 hours maximum if you don't speed through it, which is pretty good.

There may be more with the possibility of DLC.

Top Bottom