• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
akira28 said:
I was going to get this on PC but I keep hearing all the jokes that this is a console port on PC. Opinions? I'm glad I checked before I put my boots on. I was going to get that 20$ off Kmart deal.

It's most certainly a console port, but with a driver update and a few minor config file tweaks, you can get the game to look better than any console version, with the added benefit of being able to choose either kb/m or the 360 gamepad. There's also always the chance for future mods and higher res texture packs.

Get it on the PC if you have a decent one, or on the 360 if you don't. It sounds like the PS3 version suffers from some rather obvious texture pop-in.

sk3tch

akira28

Zefah said:
It's most certainly a console port, but with a driver update and a few minor config file tweaks, you can get the game to look better than any console version, with the added benefit of being able to choose either kb/m or the 360 gamepad. There's also always the chance for future mods and higher res texture packs.

Get it on the PC if you have a decent one, or on the 360 if you don't. It sounds like the PS3 version suffers from some rather obvious texture pop-in.

Boots on. Body ready.

Salsa

Posted yet? RPS Wot i Think:

It’d be easy to lament that this brilliant technology, once it’s working, is wasted on a mere shooter. True, I’d love to see id Tech 5 also put to use on something more wild and free, but I’m also very happy that it’s powering this shooter. Rage is often guilty of ordinariness and blandness in its main missinons, but it definitely pulls off being more than just a journey of unthinking destruction. The lengths it goes to for world and character design, and its refreshing lack of interference or handicapping in terms of its large and satisfying arsenal, results in something far and above most anything out or due out this year that’s predominantly based around moving a reticule over a man/mutant’s face. It has flow, it has character, it has life and it has stair-climbing friendly spider-bots. id have learned a lot, and without abandoning why we used to love them in the first place.

Derrick01

Banned
lol I just found
blake griffin's
bobblehead.

Just made it to subway town and I think I like this place more. It's visually more interesting to me than Wellspring.

MrBig

Is there a console command for screenshots?

Derrick01 said:
Just made it to subway town and I think I like this place more. It's visually more interesting to me than Wellspring.
Yeah, I'm loving that area.

forrest

formerly nacire
MrBig said:
Is there a console command for screenshots?

Yeah, I'm loving that area.

Yeah its screenshot, but the image compression sucks.

I was trying to figure out how to do other formats, and it listed tga in the command lines, but whever I would try it, it would be a larger file, but still labeled jpeg and it was unable to be opened by any of my image programs.

Calen

plagiarize said:
if it wasn't using shadow maps, you wouldn't see the environment lighting effect the vehicles and models. i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it does.
I have no specific knowledge about what RAGE is doing, but the optimal thing to do here IMO would be to bake the shadows into the megatexture, but keep the precalculated shadow map around for shadowing the moving stuff (characters, cars, etc.) This way you don't have to do the extra pixel work on the polys that can't move anyway.

MrBig

Gvaz said:
I'm getting minor pop-in but these driving controls are ass.
Vehicle physics and handling is terrible. Slightly improves when you get the new shocks for the cuprino, but it doesn't fix any problems.

I haven't even dared to try it with a mouse, I picked up my 360 controller as soon as I got on that ATV.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
I'm getting minor pop-in but these driving controls are ass.

I plugged in a 360 gamepad and it helped a ton. In fact, I do pretty much everything with the gamepad until I get into one of the mission 'instances'. Then I switch over to mouse and keyboard for some shooting action.

Just finished the game. 16 hours on Nightmare. The game really loses steam towards the end, and the ending had to be one of the worst end levels in awhile, I mean Killzone 3 bad. It's like id just wanted to hurry and tie up everything, creativity be damned. I was geared up for some huge boss, or at least some epic end battle, instead you get more corridor shooting. The game started so well, but at the end of it all I couldn't help but think, "Is that all there is to it?". Eh, it was okay if you just want to shoot people, but even that got boring for me towards the end.

Bring on Dark Souls!

Salsa

my downsampled (shitty steam compression!) screens from the PC version:

iPFXyIbEIubbe.png

iblfjy9cuIjsX0.png

silky smooth 60fps constant, haters be damnedddd

DaBuddaDa

perineumlick said:
Just finished the game. 16 hours on Nightmare.
The game really loses steam towards the end, and the ending had to be one of the worst end levels in awhile, I mean Killzone 3 bad. It's like id just wanted to hurry and tie up everything, creativity be damned. I was geared up for some huge boss, or at least some epic end battle, instead you get more corridor shooting. The game started so well, but at the end of it all I couldn't help but think, "Is that all there is to it?".
Eh, it was okay if you just want to shoot people, but even that got boring for me towards the end.
Not a huge deal, but could you please spoiler tag that?

Yuripaw

Banned
I have been bouncing back and forth on this game since it's release. I don't know what to do. I actually went and bought it from my work, and have had it sitting here for a day now. Not sure if I should open it or return it, cuz several of my friends have told me they think it looks like another boring post apocalyptic game, with not much reason to play it because it's a straight up FPS without much else to it.

I kinda agree with them, but I think I still might enjoy it. I don't know, I also have a hard time playing games if none of my friends want to talk about it with me too, lol. Is this game worth keeping it? Other than performance issues, are people enjoying the game?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Enjoying this a lot. Lots to do. Just wondering though, are there any areas to grind for loot and money other than card games? Is the mission board infinite or do missions run out and you cant fight baddies anymore?

Inkwell

Banned
This was such an odd game. I had fun all the way through, but something felt off with the pacing. It felt like it was 2/3 of a game too. Maybe that's why. I think having one more hub area could have really benefited the game. I don't want to spoil anything, but the final level was kind of a letdown. I also felt like there could have been some more races, or even some more vehicle driven gameplay.

MrBig

~Kinggi~ said:
Enjoying this a lot. Lots to do. Just wondering though, are there any areas to grind for loot and money other than card games? Is the mission board infinite or do missions run out and you cant fight baddies anymore?
There's hardly anything to spend money on from what I've played, which is up to the Subways.

Ammo is overly plentiful and everything I need to make stuff with is just piling up from the huge stockpiles of stuff that is openly placed along quest areas. I haven't bought anything in the last few hours.

Most of the loot is worthless. Game is empty in that regard.

~Kinggi~

Banned
MrBig said:
There's hardly anything to spend money on from what I've played, which is up to the Subways.

Ammo is overly plentiful and everything I need to make stuff with is just piling up from the huge stockpiles of stuff that is openly placed along quest areas. I haven't bought anything in the last few hours.

Most of the loot is worthless. Game is empty in that regard.
I guess. I see value in buying new weapon and ammo types and the different upgrades. But i guess that stuff runs out once you get it all.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm guessing due to Mega Textures, DLC of whole new maps is more or less out of the question?

Salsa

Ether_Snake said:
I'm guessing due to Mega Textures, DLC of whole new maps is more or less out of the question?

how come? a new map would be a whole new area that needs to be loaded. It would probably be like 7gb of DLC or something though, lol.

Peterthumpa

I guess I've just found my new favorite female game character:

xUZhG.jpg

Sooo cute
hot
, and as a bonus, doesn't even talk too much.

Pimpbaa

Ether_Snake said:

Yeah, can't reuse terrain textures since they are just one big one for each of the areas.

Gvaz

Banned
Idk I kind of prefer this:

rage2011-10-0622-26-014p30.jpg

Gotta love that "character textures look great but lol @ the textures around them" feature

So I'm about to get guns for my buggy, how far in the game is that? Spent about 2 hours so far.

Spasm

Just finished Dead City (yes, I'm slow), and God damn, this game is just... just... Fun! Each 'dungeon' so far has been better than the last.

Halfway through it, there's a little
subway area with laser barriers keeping you out.
Couldn't figure out how to get in... till I finished the level.
Gotta go back upstairs, and cut the power, yes?
Anyone know what sweet goodies I missed?

Gvaz

Banned
JaseC said:
Entering Wellspring is when the game begins, more or less. You're at the halfway point when you leave for Subway Town.
Okay cool.

I don't really have an issue with quests so far, but I really hate driving since it's not mouse aimed.

So 2 hour bad/good list:

+Art Style is tops, it's like a more realistic steampunk borderlands or something
+sometimes, the graphic design shines through all the dogshit, generally when the game adds color into the palate
+guns have a nice design
+sound is nice
+kill animations are extremely good
-enemies are bullet sponges, or the pistol is a piece of shit
-bullet to the head is not a instant kill
-levels are wide corridors, there's no real exploring, all the goodies are hidden along the hallways
-textures are awful 80% of the time, it looks like horseshit
-guns don't feel powerful
-the ui is god awful. It's laggy and too picky with cursor placement and why the fuck is my mouse zooooooooooming in the menus?
-the story is hamfisted or perhaps I should say the script. There's some familiar VA but holy shit these lines are the most predictable garbage I've ever seen. Were they even trying? I feel bad for the voiceactors.
-Loot has no real purpose other than to craft or sell
-crumbtrail for linear corridors, really?
-one of the suits I guess is DLC or something...because you could pick suits with individual bonuses....or one with all the bonuses which kind of defeats the purpose of any of the others.
-most enemies just race towards you, sometimes they react to if you're owning them "we're getting slaughtered!" but the combat is pathetically easy on easy with no chance of dying ever because you're a walking tank. Well that and the fact the AI sucks balls.

Zefah said:

i wish i could call a moratoreum on people using the term port incorrectly. it's a multiplatform game where the xbox 360 was the lead platform. that isn't a port. a port remains something very different, and frankly, you shouldn't use 'port' negatively.

even when something IS a port, it can be ported really well, or really badly. to use 'port' to games it doesn't apply to as a negative just muddies the waters. we'll still need a word to differentiate a game that is ported from one system to another over a multiplatform game...

and in many cases it doesn't matter what the lead platform was and all versions turn out great.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a port, and a damn good one at that. Rage is not a port.

and port is not inherantly negative. Nixxes who handled the Human Revolution port, are really good at porting games to the PC. Bluepoint games are really good at porting games to the PS3.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gvaz said:
Okay cool.

I don't really have an issue with quests so far, but I really hate driving since it's not mouse aimed.

So 2 hour bad/good list:

+Art Style is tops, it's like a more realistic steampunk borderlands or something
+sometimes, the graphic design shines through all the dogshit, generally when the game adds color into the palate
+guns have a nice design
+sound is nice
+kill animations are extremely good
-enemies are bullet sponges, or the pistol is a piece of shit
-bullet to the head is not a instant kill
-levels are wide corridors, there's no real exploring, all the goodies are hidden along the hallways
-textures are awful 80% of the time, it looks like horseshit
-guns don't feel powerful
-the ui is god awful. It's laggy and too picky with cursor placement and why the fuck is my mouse zooooooooooming in the menus?
-the story is hamfisted or perhaps I should say the script. There's some familiar VA but holy shit these lines are the most predictable garbage I've ever seen. Were they even trying? I feel bad for the voiceactors.
-Loot has no real purpose other than to craft or sell
-crumbtrail for linear corridors, really?
-one of the suits I guess is DLC or something...because you could pick suits with individual bonuses....or one with all the bonuses which kind of defeats the purpose of any of the others.
-most enemies just race towards you, sometimes they react to if you're owning them "we're getting slaughtered!" but the combat is pathetically easy on easy with no chance of dying ever because you're a walking tank. Well that and the fact the AI sucks balls.

1) Even the shotguns? I disagree, I love them - they feel great.

2) Why are you complaining about the game being easy when you're playing it on easy? :p

Gvaz

Banned
JaseC said:
1) Even the shotguns? I disagree, I love them - they feel great.

2) Why are you complaining about the game being easy when you're playing it on easy? :p
This isn't easy, this is like I could be drunk/high and it still wouldn't pose a challenge easy. Like "I'm missing half the cells in my brain" easy.

The shotguns feel good yes. That more plays into the kill animations though. They seem to react to the ground they're on and mostly realistically roll to their death. It's also entertaining to wound them and they hobble or hold their arm that was shot while they try to get behind cover away from you

Also I'm playing on easy because it doesn't seem to change the AI by increasing it, and I'm not really interested in playing pong popping out of cover with bullet sponges.

Peterthumpa

Loving the game but this whole "game won't save for fucking nothing for you unless you save manually" shit is atrocious. One thing is to develop a game with some old school concepts in mind that actually make the game more fun, another one is to think that fewer (or non-existent) checkpoints are something that somebody would enjoy.

Just lost like 30 minutes of gameplay because of my stupid buggy blowing up.

Rage!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gvaz said:
This isn't easy, this is like I could be drunk/high and it still wouldn't pose a challenge easy. Like "I'm missing half the cells in my brain" easy.

This isn't surprising in this day and age where Very Hard is the new Hard, Hard is the new Normal, Normal is the new Easy, and Easy is the new Very Easy. I couldn't tell you the last game I played in which Hard was genuinely hard.

The shotguns feel good yes. That more plays into the kill animations though. They seem to react to the ground they're on and mostly realistically roll to their death. It's also entertaining to wound them and they hobble or hold their arm that was shot while they try to get behind cover away from you

Good! And, yes, the little touches with the various animations in the game is certainly nice. I'm not convinced that the underlying animation technology is all that great, but the attention to detail is no less impressive. Wingstick Chick waving her arm flat in the air when saying "not the best" as she was introducing her namesake weapon put a smile on my face.

Also I'm playing on easy because it doesn't seem to change the AI by increasing it, and I'm not really interested in playing pong popping out of cover with bullet sponges.

Fair enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
i wish i could call a moratoreum on people using the term port incorrectly. it's a multiplatform game where the xbox 360 was the lead platform. that isn't a port. a port remains something very different, and frankly, you shouldn't use 'port' negatively.

even when something IS a port, it can be ported really well, or really badly. to use 'port' to games it doesn't apply to as a negative just muddies the waters. we'll still need a word to differentiate a game that is ported from one system to another over a multiplatform game...

and in many cases it doesn't matter what the lead platform was and all versions turn out great.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a port, and a damn good one at that. Rage is not a port.

and port is not inherantly negative. Nixxes who handled the Human Revolution port, are really good at porting games to the PC. Bluepoint games are really good at porting games to the PS3.

Hrmm, I see what you're saying, but RAGE feels like a port. All of the UI elements are obviously tailored to the Xbox controller. Everything from the "press start to play" start screen that Microsoft requires every game to have, to the terrible mouse control in every single UI element. I guess we should just be happy we even have mouse control in menus, but it's quite obvious that id did not really put much care into the PC version.

Gvaz said:
Yeah, but they crawl around and animate so well when you shoot them.
Haven't played a game that got all the important things so wrong and the unimportant things so right as this in quite a while.

And for a game that's all glitter no brains, it doesn't look that great. I know I know, 60 fps, blah blah blah. 60 fps is great... for a game that is less concerned about graphics than gameplay or anything else. But that flies in the face of this game, doesn't it? If you're gonna give me a game that makes me "ooo" for the visuals with my brain set to "off" then go all the way with it. Make me go "ooo" with the pretty pictures, not "meh." Especially considering all the effort the artists must have put into this product to make it look as meh as it does. They clearly put in MUCH more effort than what is shown here. The HQ art is somewhere, hiding, in somebody's data storage unit of choice.

It's 100 years after the apocalypse and everything is so static and stable, the vase can't even be knocked out of place. When ID chose this tech to make this game, did they not consider the context of the game they were making and whether the tech would best be suited for the subject matter? The skybox doesn't even move, let alone having some form of a day/night cycle...so again, 60fps for what? This sweet tech for what? For a still lifeless game. 60fps doesn't counteract broken immersion. It doesn't work like that.

Salsa

playing on Nightmare, couple of missions done, absolutely loving it and it looks fantastic. pop-in is really, really minimal and you have to look for it real hard if you wanna notice. Sustaining 60fps at all times. Had to drop AA from 16X to 8X cause 16x makes it look way too smoth and it ends up kinda blurry because of it.

Just did the
well mission
, the art style is really great in that mission. And the music in this game is fantastic. I wasn't expecting any horror vibes during this game, but sneaking around there, along with the music definitely creeped me out a little bit.

Grayman

Can I do anything to summon a bit of ammo and money from thin air? Nightmare seems to be holding back on ammo more than giving me a helping of danger. It should have brought back DOOM style double ammo pickups.

I haven't figured out the boss in mutant bash yet and he one shots me with his tentacle attack. I want to do other stuff but I have no money for equipment.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. B Natural said:
Yeah, but they crawl around and animate so well when you shoot them.
Haven't played a game that got all the important things so wrong and the unimportant things so right as this in quite a while.

And for a game that's all glitter no brains, it doesn't look that great. I know I know, 60 fps, blah blah blah. 60 fps is great... for a game that is less concerned about graphics than gameplay or anything else. But that flies in the face of this game, doesn't it? If you're gonna give me a game that makes me "ooo" for the visuals with my brain set to "off" then go all the way with it. Make me go "ooo" with the pretty pictures, not "meh." Especially considering all the effort the artists must have put into this product to make it look as meh as it does. They clearly put in MUCH more effort than what is shown here. The HQ art is somewhere, hiding, in somebody's data storage unit of choice.

It's 100 years after the apocalypse and everything is so static and stable, the vase can't even be knocked out of place. When ID chose this tech to make this game, did they not consider the context of the game they were making and whether the tech would best be suited for the subject matter? The skybox doesn't even move, let alone having some form of a day/night cycle...so again, 60fps for what? This sweet tech for what? For a still lifeless game. 60fps doesn't counteract broken immersion. It doesn't work like that.

I'm gonna have to agree with you. The performance is fantastic, but when you think about how little it's actually rendering, it only makes sense. The texture detail is really turning me off from the game at this point. It's absolutely, inexcusably horrendous just about across the board. Motherfucking macroblocking image compression artifacts on textures? From veteran devs like id? Shit...

I really wish their artists had gone in knowing how low-res the final textures would be from the start. You can tell they made some really high resolution, really sharp, and really high quality assets, but those just got shit on with compression. It's really sad to look at, and completely detracting from the experience, in my opinion.

The game does feel completely lifeless and lacking of immersion. To think that Quake 2 has better dynamic lighting than this is insane. Shoot your guns off or make explosions in the dark, and nothing lights up--no shadows are cast.

I just finished the Dead City and I gotta say my initial optimism is rapidly fading. The guns feel good, and vista/environments look good from far away, but that's really all this game has going for it. The enemies so far have not been very interesting to fight, and the shit-stain textures with compression artifacts really ruin the experience, not to mention the completely physics-lacking static world.

I spent $65 on the thing, so I'll play through it to the end, but damn if I'm not quite disappointed in this. I guess I set my expectations a bit too high? It just looked and sounded so incredible in previews.

Mr. B Natural said:
The HQ art is somewhere, hiding, in somebody's data storage unit of choice.
Its hard not to wonder about exactly this. I do think the game looks incredible, and my natural bias would be to reduce the texture detail for performance, so I think it was the right call to make. Still ...

To think we're seeing this very reduced version of what those artists actually created, its kindof maddening. Hopefully it won't be so damn long before we can play Rage as it was originally realized.

zlatko

Banned
So I rented the PS3 version thinking the 3 disc of the 360 means it would have more texture pop in since I don't have room on my HDD on 360 to install the discs.

PS3 version is a fucking mess. I can't move a foot without texture pop in all over. If I'm not sitting still the world looks like it is smeared in vasoline. Had a weird issue as well with the text in a quest being given all cut up to fuck and barely readable.

My other issue that I will post pics of later is the insane amounts of green everywhere. I have no clue WTF this game is trying to do, but both indoors in dark areas, and areas with light in them there is toxic green on my screen when there clearly shouldn't be.

I'm not a big tech guy about frames per second, or anti aliasing, etc, but what I've played so far is bringing my ability to immerse myself in the game down a lot.

Oh and the head bob motion feature is awful. I didn't see a way to turn it off in the options. Does ID think when I walk around I wobble like a Penguin or something?

Top Bottom