• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Grayman

ok repeating mutant bash for cash and prizes is fun. I am not stuck anymore. I is giving me lots of toys like poprocks and I have more fat boys than regular pistol shells now.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. Rage delivers. Id is king once again; the combat is just so fun. It takes so many turns as you play and the pacing is great. Story aside, I'm really impressed with the gameplay and atmosphere.

madmackem

Synless said:
So the framerate is better on the PS3 (a pretty solid 60fps on PS3 compared to the 360 losing 10-15 frames during the action), but it looks better (texture wise) on the 360. PS3 version also seems to be missing shadows altogether in some shots.

*edit* Upon closer inspection, maybe the shadows are there.
I dont know if its just the way the cap there shots but some of the ps3 shots look a little more blurry than the 360 could be the way the capture though.

Synless

madmackem said:
I dont know if its just the way the cap there shots but some of the ps3 shots look a little more blurry than the 360 could be the way the capture though.
I thought the game has dynamic resolutions? The comparison did not mention it happening one time. I wonder if it's more blurry due to the drops in resolution. I also wonder what version drops it more, that makes a huge difference in IQ of the game.

Truespeed

Synless said:
I thought the game has dynamic resolutions? The comparison did not mention it happening one time. I wonder if it's more blurry due to the drops in resolution. I also wonder what version drops it more, that makes a huge difference in IQ of the game.

That level of insight and analysis is above their pay grade. It is interesting to see that the PS3 version actually performs better.

I've been given a mission to get a caprino, and to get a sponsorship from bash TV. How far am I into the game?

Been playing around 4-5 hours now, have done a few races and finished the handful of quests on the job board. Also completed a sewer mission.

Game is fucking amazing at this point. I've prepped myself for disappointment to be honest. I am expecting very little content or a very short campaign to let me down. However assuming I am not very far into the game, it seems extremely well done so far.

I for one, think the graphics are outstanding. There is no doubt that up close textures are horrible, but in terms of just how it 'looks' overall - it's easily the most impressive game I've played besides maybe Gears 3 or some areas of Uncharted 2.

Also, the gun combat is the best I've played besides possibly Halo. It feels so brutal. Guns are loud and pack punch, enemies react extremely well, are tons of fun to fight, and their are plenty of weapons and ammo types to keep things interesting.

What exactly is involved in the co-op missions? What can I expect length wise?

I've yet to touch the multiplayer, however I can't see myself getting too involved in the car combat. It's fun, and a nice distraction from the shooting, but I have yet to see much depth show through so far.

Synless

Truespeed said:
That level of insight and analysis is above their pay grade.
That's the level of insight that is going to determine which version I get. Hopefully DF goes into that detail.

Salsa

TheVampire said:
Am I the only one who hates the sounds of the weapons in this game?

They all sound too "loud" to me.

Especially that pistol.

I love it

and i love the sound of the footsteps, like when youre sprinting

everything just has this "oomph" that comes together and gives you a really satisfying feeling. Sound design is great. Stereo mix is a little low, and that's probably why they sound too loud for you, but i dont mind.

First hour was alright, but now im seriously loving this game. Lived up to every expectation of mine so far.

So many incredible moments in this game that happen through gameplay. Two stick out to me from the past two hours or so. The first was me driving my new Caprino into the outskirts of the city, being greeted by 3 enemy cars. I waste two of them, then the last one - and I swear I wish I had been recording with FRAPS - I boosted head on into. The enemy car flew backwards from the impact, spun like 10 times in the air before smashing into a wall, blasting to pieces as I drove through the explosion. Made me feel like a total badass.

Later on I was in the
Wellspring well
. I was pinned down by an enemy on the high ground with an assault rifle. When he was blind firing me, I decided to sprint to the side and flank him. I switched to my kill-burst pistol ammo and took aim at his head. As soon as he realized that I had changed positions and had a shot on him and said "Oh no." Then I unloaded a round of killburst into his face.

I wanted my character to say "It's just been revoked." so bad.

Truespeed said:
That level of insight and analysis is above their pay grade. It is interesting to see that the PS3 version actually performs better.

Yep. That said I just remembered the monkey wrench here, the dynamic resolution. In order to know whats really going on you'd have to know if one version or the other was dropping the resolution lower to compensate (most likely the PS3 version if either).

In other words, this is just a example, PS3 might be dropping the resolution more to keep 60 FPS (I only say this since PS3 stayed rock steady at 60). But again that's total speculation on my part, that's what the big boys at DF would have to look into.

Other reason I say that is the one random screenshot of the res scaling I've seen showed the PS3 scaling all the way down to 640X720, 360 was at 1152X720 for the same-ish scene screencap, but again I'm not saying 360 resolution didn't drop to 640 1 second after the 360 screen was taken, that's the difficulty here, the precise microsecond one captures might matter.

MisterAnderson said:
So many incredible moments in this game that happen through gameplay. Two stick out to me from the past two hours or so. The first was me driving my new Caprino into the outskirts of the city, being greeted by 3 enemy cars. I waste two of them, then the last one - and I swear I wish I had been recording with FRAPS - I boosted head on into. The enemy car flew backwards from the impact, spun like 10 times in the air before smashing into a wall, blasting to pieces as I drove through the explosion. Made me feel like a total badass.

Later on I was in the
Wellspring well
. I was pinned down by an enemy on the high ground with an assault rifle. When he was blind firing me, I decided to sprint to the side and flank him. I switched to my kill-burst pistol ammo and took aim at his head. As soon as he realized that I had changed positions and had a shot on him and said "Oh no." Then I unloaded a round of killburst into his face.

I wanted my character to say "It's just been revoked." so bad.

Moments get diminished when you get to fight those same 3-4 cars over and over and over again.

Also making me go through a level again but backwards? This game is so much shallowier than it pretends to be.

Everdred

After playing 10+ hours on the Nightmare, this is definitely the way the game was meant to be played. On hard, at the very least.

MrBig said:
Vehicle physics and handling is terrible. Slightly improves when you get the new shocks for the cuprino, but it doesn't fix any problems.

I haven't even dared to try it with a mouse, I picked up my 360 controller as soon as I got on that ATV.

Ironic, at first I was put off at driving using my keyboard, so I tried out the 360 gamepad. Got fed up with switching between M/KB for on foot and gamepad for driving, so stuck it out with the KB controls for driving. Now I'm loving it and am able to control my car like a pro. Never would have thought I would have liked driving a car using a keyboard but with the way I set up my keybinds I'm really liking it.

Everdred said:
After playing 10+ hours on the Nightmare, this is definitely the way the game was meant to be played. On hard, at the very least.

I started out on hard and feel like the game is well balanced for me on this difficulty. I would switch to Nightmare but I hate switching difficulties mid playthrough...so I think I might just play it again on nightmare after I beat it. Maybe I'll save it for when Id (hopefully) releases a high res texture pack or something.

NBtoaster

You can actually see the lowered resolution in the comparison screens:

PS3 is lower res here, bigger edges:

ps3-rollover_048z2s.jpg

xbox-360-rollover_047a8z.jpg

Only one where you can really see it though.

specialguy said:
Yep. That said I just remembered the monkey wrench here, the dynamic resolution. In order to know whats really going on you'd have to know if one version or the other was dropping the resolution lower to compensate (most likely the PS3 version if either).

In other words, this is just a example, PS3 might be dropping the resolution more to keep 60 FPS (I only say this since PS3 stayed rock steady at 60). But again that's total speculation on my part, that's what the big boys at DF would have to look into.

Other reason I say that is the one random screenshot of the res scaling I've seen showed the PS3 scaling all the way down to 640X720, 360 was at 1152X720 for the same-ish scene screencap, but again I'm not saying 360 resolution didn't drop to 640 1 second after the 360 screen was taken, that's the difficulty here, the precise microsecond one captures might matter.

Yep, it's an okay look but they didn't go into the resolution at all. Then again, I didn't expect them to, which is fine as I still appreciate their site.

Sometimes wishing at didn't buy the 360 version just because I am constantly reminded how much I don't like the 360 controller =(

plagiarize said:
RAGE is structured like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but replace dungeons with levels of traditional first person shooting, and replace Epona with a car.

I just realised this. That's a pretty easy way to explain to someone how open it is and isn't.

This. Totally just put what I was thinking into words. I feel like this game is Bioshock meets Zelda. What's funny is I've been saying for years how awesome a "futuristic/cyberpunk/post apocalyptic/Ganon occupied Hyrule" Zelda game would be.

Since that will never happen, this will have to suffice.

Spoo

Just finished the game on Nightmare (15 or so hours), at 45/50 achievements. Really, really loved about everything this game is. One of the standouts of the year for me, if not my GotY.

pakkit

Banned
Gvaz said:
Also I'm playing on easy because it doesn't seem to change the AI by increasing it, and I'm not really interested in playing pong popping out of cover with bullet sponges.
Me neither. Hard feels right. It requires me to use my built items to survive instead of simply getting by with a steady trigger finger.

Everdred

Spoo said:
Just finished the game on Nightmare (15 or so hours), at 45/50 achievements. Really, really loved about everything this game is. One of the standouts of the year for me, if not my GotY.
Was that the in game time or actual time?

Spoo

Everdred said:
Was that the in game time or actual time?

15 hours, 5 minutes, and 15 seconds.

I would say about 4-5 of that was side-quests, the races, courier missions, and in some cases trying to set up situations where I could get a few harder achievements. I'm a compulsive saver though, so that wasn't too time consuming.

My overall steam clock says 23 hours, though, but that's including the coop which I'm almost finished with, some online, etc.

Spoo said:
15 hours, 5 minutes, and 15 seconds.

I would say about 4-5 of that was side-quests, the races, courier missions, and in some cases trying to set up situations where I could get a few harder achievements. I'm a compulsive saver though, so that wasn't too time consuming.

My overall steam clock says 23 hours, though, but that's including the coop which I'm almost finished with, some online, etc.
I've just been given the mission at wellsprings to find the bash TV sponsor, so I can compete in a race to win a new type of car. How far am I into the game?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Goddammit there is no English language in the continental Europe version. WTF? Is this 2005? Jeez. Now I have to listen to the shitty Italian localization :/

DevelopmentArrested said:
Moments get diminished when you get to fight those same 3-4 cars over and over and over again.

Also making me go through a level again but backwards? This game is so much shallowier than it pretends to be.

Man, i think you are hard to please. I look forward to fighting the cars every time out. There are so many ways to kill these cars. Ramming the shit out of them as described by the poster above, guns, Missiles, remote self seeking bomb cars.. hell getting out of your car and using a stinger like missile launcher is damn awesome. As far as going through
Dead City
i think you might be one of the very few who doesn't have a sense of adventure. I was jonesing to go back through the level in reverse, so much so i forgot to save about half way through the level and i died lol.

Stripper13 said:
I've just been given the mission at wellsprings to find the bash TV sponsor, so I can compete in a race to win a new type of car. How far am I into the game?

Pretty early in the game still, i played Mutant Bash TV a long time ago and im just about half way through the game now.

EvilDick34 said:
Pretty early in the game still, i played Mutant Bash TV a long time ago and im just about half way through the game now.
*orgasms*

Thanks man. That is awesome news, game is fucking amazing.

Also fuck anyone who doesn't like revisiting some of the areas in reverse, I love it.

areal

Man, so depressing. I missed my Rage delivery by a couple of hours (stupid UPS tracking says my package is still in Alaska, so of course I wasn't at home) and now I won't get the game until Tuesday. (Monday is a holiday here in Japan.) My weekend was planned... now ruined.

Autofokus

TTP said:
Goddammit there is no English language in the continental Europe version. WTF? Is this 2005? Jeez. Now I have to listen to the shitty Italian localization :/
Say hello to Bethesda 2011, all their published games had no English. Next up: Skyrim. :(

derFeef

Autofokus said:
Say hello to Bethesda 2011, all their published games had no English. Next up: Skyrim. :(
Order the english version? I always do that with Halo games, since they are not multilanguage.

NemesisPrime said:
Why are we still linking this site? They have no clue.

Anway.. just got the PC version... enjoying it so far. A bit generic but... well.. err... you know.

How do they not have a clue?
They're a site that does a GENERAL analysis and which version they prefer. That's all. They're not DF and dont' aspire to be.

Not liking this game anymore. Playing the game on Nightmare has nothing to do with it, a matter a fact, Nightmare is too easy IMO. The spread of the shotgun is garbage. I hate wasting bullets on a enemy because the hitbox, somehow vanish*Okay, dude ain't moving, time for the headshot. Pull trigger, bullet goes through him like the invincible man, fuuuuuu* It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. The respawning of enemies on turrent stations and cars, is something I went through already in Farcry 2.

I'm looking through my achievement list to see how deep I'm into the game(8hrs, with a few restarts, side missions and racing)And from the looks of it, I only have six missions left(Five, halfway through the current one)I open almost a entire city in GTA in eight hours. I'm tired of going back and forth the same areas so far. And from the looks of it, it looks like I might not get that much diversity at all. Shit, they make you do a town backwards. That is fucking sad right there.

The blacks in this game are annoying the fuck out of me. This strange bule tint(And green sometimes)Replaces the blacks for some odd reason. Dead City was the biggest offender to this shit. I had to put in Dead Space 2, Limbo, Outland and Rez to see if my TV was fine, and it is. I even put the 360 reference colors to "Expand" to crush the blacks, and still that strange blue tint was there. It happens when you're getting close to a dark area.

The only thing I enjoyed in this game so far was the easter egg I found in the Sheriff's office on the back. It was awesome seeing *Breaking Bad spoiler season 1*
Seeing Tuco's teeth/grills in the glass cube
Not sure if anyone in GAF peeped that, but most likely someone did.

AgentOtaku said:
They're a site that does a GENERAL analysis and which version they prefer. That's all. They're not DF and dont' aspire to be.

Isn't this what I said? They have no clue. There is no use doing this if you don't do it properly. It is more a science than an art.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
TTP said:

This is getting so irritating ~
I'm italian too, and I'm tired to be forced into listening to shitty adaptations. Most of the times I order from the UK for this sole reason, but sometimes I'd like to play a game on day one and enjoy it the way I prefer (-> original language) and they don't let me do it. So annoying...

Truant

Something went seriously wrong during development of this game. The final mission is from 1997. Seriously. It's like a different game. What a horrible ending to a great game.

I wish I got more out of the second hub. It looked so amazing.

Game should have been twice as long.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Truant said:
Something went seriously wrong during development of this game. The final mission is from 1997. Seriously. It's like a different game. What a horrible ending to a great game.

I wish I got more out of the second hub. It looked so amazing.

Game should have been twice as long.

rbdVM.jpg

AgentOtaku said:
they fail to mention in their analysis something which anyone who had been vaguely following the game would know, namely the dynamic resolution changing to maintain resolution. they post screen shots, which include SOME of the PS3 running at a lower resolution and don't even point out that the PS3 version is sometimes at a lower resolution and sometimes not.

fair enough if they have no way of benchmarking how often it happens, but people are confused as hell about what res PS3 rage runs at as a result, as we've seen in this thread. just a page or two ago someone posted a LOT comparison of the PS3 version at a lower res, and from their comment it's apparent they think it's ALWAYS at a lower res.

now, if the 360 version isn't keeping 60 fps, and it's because it doesn't do the resolution shifting, then i'd rather get the PS3 version... but since they don't mention it anywhere...

you see the problem? how can anyone make up their minds from that article when it doesn't contain enough data?

True True

I just don't flat out dismiss them like others on GAF do. Obvously I would never rely solely on them either and yeah they never mention resolutions in any of the titles they cover.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, if I buy this on PC, on disc in a few minutes, I can install from the disc and still have it be the Steam version right?

Top Bottom