• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, if I buy this on PC, on disc in a few minutes, I can install from the disc and still have it be the Steam version right?
Yup. Unless they forgot to put the steam code in the box...

Gvaz

Banned
I'm rather surprised everyone's enjoying this so much. I like the game for what it's shown me so far, a shallow fps with an interesting setting and (other than enemies not dying to a bullet to the head and the assault rifle is a piece of shit) combat that's fun because of the weapon choices, but there's not much else to it that I find enjoyable. In a lot of ways, other fps' have done this better. It's no Fallout, and I kind of wish it was.

Gvaz said:
I'm rather surprised everyone's enjoying this so much. I like the game for what it's shown me so far, a shallow fps with an interesting setting and (other than enemies not dying to a bullet to the head and the assault rifle is a piece of shit) combat that's fun because of the weapon choices, but there's not much else to it that I find enjoyable. In a lot of ways, other fps' have done this better. It's no Fallout, and I kind of wish it was.

I would say im surprised at your Negative review but all you have to do is look at the whole thread and how you shitted on it from the get go.

And your classic double talk aka: " I like the game for what it's shown me so far, a shallow fps....".

Nothing shallow in my opinion about this game. You have your main story, you have tons of sidequests, you have 3 mini games in Wellspring alone, with tons of car races you can do. ALL of your main weapons have at least two different ammo types with some having an option for 3 or more different ammo types. You can trick your car out with armor, spikes, rams, missiles, guns, and at least 6 or 7 different other weapons.

Also, i can headshot enemies just fine, i do it to the Authority troopers every single time, hell there are at least 3 sidequest sniper missions where headshots are essential to winning that quest.

cyen

Im kinda enjoying it, the game has a good pace, the world have plenty to do and the gunplay feels good.

The art direction on this game is amazing, megatexture really pays off in the art department theres some beatiful vista and the world is really well crafted the only downside are the rough textures overall.

The game has the ID vibe in it, sometimes has the old school shooters feeling and im saying this in a good way, im really having fun with the game.

I have to say that the weakest link in this game is the plot, it doesnt make the player care for the cause, they just dump you in the world and say "do this do that" and thats that.

EvilDick34 said:
I would say im surprised at your Negative review but all you have to do is look at the whole thread and how you shitted on it from the get go.

And your classic double talk aka: " I like the game for what it's shown me so far, a shallow fps....".

Nothing shallow in my opinion about this game. You have your main story, you have tons of sidequests, you have 3 mini games in Wellspring alone, with tons of car races you can do. ALL of your main weapons have at least two different ammo types with some having an option for 3 or more different ammo types. You can trick your car out with armor, spikes, rams, missiles, guns, and at least 6 or 7 different other weapons.

Also, i can headshot enemies just fine, i do it to the Authority troopers every single time, hell there are at least 3 sidequest sniper missions where headshots are essential to winning that quest.

Exactly

The main objective may be shallow IE: shoot da mutants!, but the means to do so is far from it (IF you opt to use those means).

Game is no more shallow than Gears, Vanquish, or any other, and if anything it does possess more depth because of it's subsystems

Remember though kids, RAGE IS NOT AN RPG

AgentOtaku said:
Exactly

The main objective may be shallow IE: shoot da mutants!, but the means to do so is far from it (IF you opt to use those means).

Game is no more shallow than Gears, Vanquish, or any other, and if anything it does possess more depth because of it's subsystems

Remember though kids, RAGE IS NOT AN RPG
to me, preventing a game from just being 'head shot = death' isn't making it SHALLOW. i enjoy more protracted encounters with enemies personally. also, i don't think something is a bullet sponge if it attempts to cover, and retreat, and what have you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Gearhead folks are a little too tough, I think. The shotgun works well enough, but they absorb too many assault rifle bullets; for instance, it takes several shots to the helmet for it to fall off, and another several hits to the head to fell them.

JaseC said:
The Gearhead folks are a little too tough, I think. The shotgun works well enough, but they absorb too many assault rifle bullets; for instance, it takes several shots to the helmet for it to fall off, and another several hits to the head to fell them.
are you using armour piercing rounds?

JaseC

plagiarize said:
are you using armour piercing rounds?

...I didn't think of that. :( Now I feel silly. The standard shotgun is my weapon of choice, so I simply forgot about the alternate ammo types.

Edit: I just re-routed the power so it all flows to Subway Town, however I didn't find any playing cards in the plant. Did I miss any? Never mind, found one. I was beginning to think it odd that there were no cards lying around.

Headshots are seriously borked, at least on Nightmare; not sure about the other difficulties. I shoot a guy's helmet off, he gets back up, he should drop after one headshot, but that's not the case. It takes at least 2 more shots to finish him, which is silly. The Gearheads are pretty lame enemies; in fact I enjoyed fighting against the aggressive, parkour mutants much more than the soldiers laying back behind cover. The first half of the game is definitely the best part; I just wanted it to be over once I got close to the end. Overall a very flawed but fun shooter, nothing that will set the world on fire.

Glassboy

Truant said:
Something went seriously wrong during development of this game. The final mission is from 1997. Seriously. It's like a different game. What a horrible ending to a great game.

I wish I got more out of the second hub. It looked so amazing.

Game should have been twice as long.
Agreed. If people think Wellspring looks awesome, then they are in for a treat. The second hub is even cooler looking imo

Gvaz

Banned
EvilDick34 said:

It's not double talk, I like shallow fps games for what they are, all combat and nothing else. Sure there's more than that to rage, but it's not things that interest me.

Okay, well I am also giving my opinion. I feel the main story is shallow, but the premise is sound. The script is where it really shows how awful it is, and I'm not sure how you could think it's good. "Oh unnamed never speaking player, help me with this! You're our only hope!" has gotten exceedingly tired and trite.

The pistol with no mods with basic ammo does not kill in one headshot. Why? Do the enemies somehow have skulls of steel?? Is the pistol a BB Gun??

And I haven't gotten far enough to comment on anything else you mentioned. I'm just in wellspring about to get some guns for my buggy.

StuBurns

Banned
Gvaz said:
The pistol with no mods with basic ammo does not kill in one headshot. Why? Do the enemies somehow have skulls of steel?? Is the pistol a BB Gun??
This is a weak argument. If you want realistic damage modeling from weapons in games, games are going to get really lame really fast.

garath

Gvaz said:
It's not double talk, I like shallow fps games for what they are, all combat and nothing else. Sure there's more than that to rage, but it's not things that interest me.

Okay, well I am also giving my opinion. I feel the main story is shallow, but the premise is sound. The script is where it really shows how awful it is, and I'm not sure how you could think it's good. "Oh unnamed never speaking player, help me with this! You're our only hope!" has gotten exceedingly tired and trite.

The pistol with no mods with basic ammo does not always kill in one headshot. Why? Do the enemies somehow have skulls of steel?? Is the pistol a BB Gun??

And I haven't gotten far enough to comment on anything else you mentioned. I'm just in wellspring about to get some guns for my buggy.

I can't argue with your opinions but I fixed your headshot line. Pistol headshots do kill enemies, not always, but most of the time for me. If it doesn't I've usually missed. Or the guys have a helmet.

Attach the monocle to the pistol and you'll see it more.

Gvaz

Banned
StuBurns said:
This is a weak argument. If you want realistic damage modeling from weapons in games, games are going to get really lame really fast.
Er no, I just expect certain obvious standards to carry over from every fps ever. I don't care if enemies take a lot of bullets from hitting in the chest, but getting shot in the head should be an instant kill every time, unless you are using BBs or something.

garath said:
I can't argue with your opinions but I fixed your headshot line. Pistol headshots do kill enemies, not always, but most of the time for me. If it doesn't I've usually missed. Or the guys have a helmet.

Attach the monocle to the pistol and you'll see it more.
I have the zoom half binocular and every time what happens when I shoot them in the head is they get blood on their face or whatever....they lurch back going "ughhh" and they try to get back behind cover. It takes another direct shot to the head or at least two to the body at that point to actually Kill them.

sajj316

Is there a chance that id patches the game on the PS3 to decrease the amount of texture pop-ins? Maybe allowing us to install the game on disc? Everything else seems in order for the PS3 version despite the dynamic resolution drop.

StuBurns said:
high five.

if i want to run around just headshotting guys i'll go play COD.

fake spoiler:
i don't want to run around headshotting guys.

Derrick01

Banned
The headshot thing does bother me a bit too. I've had quite a few instances where enemies are crouching behind something and only their head is sticking out and I shoot them only to have them fall over for a second and get back up. This happens with the assualt rifle and authority rifle just as much as the pistol.

For all the people saying Rage isn't a RPG it's sure as hell acting like one.

sajj316 said:
Is there a chance that id patches the game on the PS3 to decrease the amount of texture pop-ins? Maybe allowing us to install the game on disc? Everything else seems in order for the PS3 version despite the dynamic resolution drop.

As stated earlier, id spent YEARS engineering/optomizing this for the 360 and PS3 ....I highly doubt it's gonna get any better than this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Look guys, Gvaz already admitted to sucking at aiming (he needs a crosshair lololol!) so he needs a reward for actually hitting someone in the head. Two to three times is damn near impossible for him.

Gvaz

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Look guys, Gvaz already admitted to sucking at aiming (he needs a crosshair lololol!) so he needs a reward for actually hitting someone in the head. Two to three times is damn near impossible for him.
I never said it was impossible, it's just stupid that a headshot isn't an instant kill and it should be, period. It just adds padding to each encounter that could end in 2 seconds now takes 5

Don't troll.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, I don't know if Vanquish should be in there. That game offers a level of nuance to the player that simply isn't possible in most shooters. The challenge maps reveal this very quickly. The capabilities of your character are significant, to say the least. In that sense it's close to the likes of Bayonetta than Gears.

Of course, you CAN play it like Gears, I suppose, but you're missing half the fun (provided you stick to normal difficult and the story mode). Challenge maps are so much more demanding and really show what you can do. In that sense, I suppose it also reminds me of GunValkyrie.

I know what you're point is, though, and I agree that Rage is a deeper experience than people seem to believe. It's certainly far beyond the likes of single player Call of Duty, for instance.

garath

Stallion Free said:

No need to act like a dick.

Gvaz said:
I never said it was impossible, it's just stupid that a headshot isn't an instant kill and it should be, period. It just adds padding to each encounter that could end in 2 seconds now takes 5

Don't troll.

What difficulty level are you playing on? I wonder if playing on the higher levels of difficulty just adds a blanket - "add x hp" such that headshots won't always kill guys anymore.

I'm playing on hard and can get some one shot kills (though not many I suppose). From the quicklook where Brad was playing on normal he was getting one shot headshots a lot. Playing on nightmare maybe?

Gvaz

Banned
No, I'm playing on easy since the difficulty setting doesn't seem to change the AI. If higher settings increase the damage you do to enemies then that's probably enough for me to go higher, as it is now there's zero challenge.

T Ghost

Gvaz said:
Er no, I just expect certain obvious standards to carry over from every fps ever. I don't care if enemies take a lot of bullets from hitting in the chest, but getting shot in the head should be an instant kill every time, unless you are using BBs or something.

I have the zoom half binocular and every time what happens when I shoot them in the head is they get blood on their face or whatever....they lurch back going "ughhh" and they try to get back behind cover. It takes another direct shot to the head or at least two to the body at that point to actually Kill them.

Same thing. Either using pistol with half binoculars or the Authority SMG. Maybe the people saying that one headshot kills are playing on normal or easy. Either that or they are talking about multiplayer. On single player Hard it takes 2 to 3 headshots to kill an enemy. Annoying.

Also shotgun spread is gi-fuckin-ourmous, the worst I've ever seen in an FPS. Game is great but shooting combat has some sharp edges. And I'm not taking COD as standard as I Loathe COD.

Gvaz said:
No, I'm playing on easy since the difficulty setting doesn't seem to change the AI. If higher settings increase the damage you do to enemies then that's probably enough for me to go higher, as it is now there's zero challenge.

There goes my theory. So I don't know what people are saying about killing in SP with ONE pistol headshot. It simply doesn't happen.

Gvaz said:

Don't troll.
if you want a game that does that, go play one. don't tell me that EVERY game should do that, when i want to play games where it isn't the case.

i want the encounters to be a little more protracted sometimes.

most games don't have the number of responses to being shot that ID have put into Rage. it isn't padding. ID have programed reactions to those shots even if they don't kill them.

I agree that the shotgun(s), while sounding godly, are also probably the most unfun weapons to use so far =(

This could have been mitaged if only one of them had the spread that they do. I should have been the double-barrell. Sadly they both are this way and are largly useless.

JaseC

Gvaz said:

I don't think anybody considers the story and dialogue to be genuinely good in the traditional sense, but rather adequate insofar that it's unimportant yet serviceable enough to its function, which is to act as a vehicle for the gameplay - give exposited reason for the player to continue playing. It's like this in every id game to varying extents, Rage being the one with the most narrative focus.

pakkit

Banned
Pistol headshots annoyed me until I found the Fatboys ammunition.

There are weapons/ammo types that are built for headshots (crossbow feels SO good), and there are weapons that are built for just shooting the bastard till he stops moving.

The shotgun is great backup. If any of these bastards get near, one shell the to face knocks them the fuck out.

And yes, the story sucks, which is why this game isn't as engrossing to me as the Bioshocks or the Deus Exes.

EDIT: Gvaz, honestly you need to keep playing. The combat options just keep growing till the end of the game, and the variety is the spice that keeps this game moving.

Gvaz

Banned
T Ghost said:
There goes my theory. So I don't know what people are saying about killing in SP with ONE pistol headshot. It simply doesn't happen.
They're probably not using basic ammo. Everyone I've talked to is like "oh yeah these dudes go down in one pulse ammo to the head with the pistol" and I'm just like >:S "I'm talking about the basic ammo..."

The shotgun's spread kind of stinks because it's great at close combat but anything more than ten feet and the gun kind of sucks.

aristotle

Gvaz said:
They're probably not using basic ammo. Everyone I've talked to is like "oh yeah these dudes go down in one pulse ammo to the head with the pistol" and I'm just like >:S "I'm talking about the basic ammo..."

The shotgun's spread kind of stinks because it's great at close combat but anything more than ten feet and the gun kind of sucks.

I've been playing on Nightmare, really easy so far. Upgrading the ammo will usually kill them in one shot anyway. You don't need headshots. The first ammo upgrade for the pistol kills in one shot. Headshots aren't needed for the ammo upgrades. I agree that regular ammo should kill in one shot to the head.

sajj316

AgentOtaku said:
As stated earlier, id spent YEARS engineering/optomizing this for the 360 and PS3 ....I highly doubt it's gonna get any better than this.

No doubt in my mind that they spent years optimizing this. We do know that installing the game (partial) on SSD yields significant improvement with respect to texture streaming/loading. What would be the incremental improvement if the game is 100% installed to hard disc? I don't know the answer to that question but I assume it would be a positive improvement.

Gvaz said:

i'd agree with this complaint if it was a game that limited how many guns you can carry at once. yeah, the shotgun isn't great beyond close range, but you've got a bunch of weapons that are. get used to switching guns often. it makes the game more interesting :)

Spasm

I think this game, more than your average game, emphasizes using the right tool for the job. Headshotting Wastelanders with the crossbow is a 1 hit kill 99% of the time for me... unless they're wearing a hat. For those guys, a Fat Mama does the trick. Shotty is my go-to for muties and slimers. I tend to save Pop Rockets and sniper rounds for mid-bosses. I haven't even fought any Authority yet. When I do, I'll figure out what works best on them.

So I'm considering using my $20 Newegg credit towards the PC Version of Rage (which also gives $10 credit) is the game worth it? I've been looking over the config file modding and it looks a ton better.

I'm running the following:

Phenom x4 945 3.2 gigz
4gb ddr3 1600 mhz
GTX 570

JaseC

I just reached Jackal Canyon, wrapping up my night with the game. I assume that I'll finish it tomorrow.

sajj316 said:
No doubt in my mind that they spent years optimizing this. We do know that installing the game (partial) on SSD yields significant improvement with respect to texture streaming/loading. What would be the incremental improvement if the game is 100% installed to hard disc? I don't know the answer to that question but I assume it would be a positive improvement.

Sony has a limit on how much is allowed to be installed. They actually waived this just for id and allowed them 8gbs ...before it was something like 4-5 only.

JaseC

AgentOtaku said:
Sony has a limit on how much is allowed to be installed. They actually waived this just for id and allowed them 8gbs ...before it was something like 4-5 only.

I imagine that this is so the earlier PS3 models - ones with smaller HDDs - aren't overwhelmed by only a few games, but ideally Sony should have mandated that any developer opting to have their game install most or all of its data must also provide a smaller partial install option.

sajj316

AgentOtaku said:

Seems dumb to me considering they offer full DD PS3 titles on PSN. I'd be surprised if this game isn't offered for DD sometime in the future.

I really wish they offered non, partial, or full install options for future titles!

StuBurns

Banned
Played a bit of it now, I regretted getting the PS3 version pretty much instantly. ADS snap aim is really irritating. I don't think it makes a good first impression, graphically it's rough, the framerate is nice, but it doesn't feel all that crisp with a pad anyway. The dying mini game is lame. It feels like creatively it's being pulled from two very different directions, one of RPG/exploration pedigree, one from traditional FPS pedigree, and it's a disappointing middle ground. I'm not giving up or anything, I'll play more, but so far it's looking pretty middling.

Gvaz

Banned
I'll be honest the car combat with the miniguns is fun, I'm glad they lock on to the enemy in a cone for you, otherwise that'd be frustrating with the keyboard.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Played a bit of it now, I regretted getting the PS3 version pretty much instantly. ADS snap aim is really irritating. I don't think it makes a good first impression, graphically it's rough, the framerate is nice, but it doesn't feel all that crisp with a pad anyway. The dying mini game is lame. It feels like creatively it's being pulled from two very different directions, one of RPG/exploration pedigree, one from traditional FPS pedigree, and it's a disappointing middle ground. I'm not giving up or anything, I'll play more, but so far it's looking pretty middling.
The game feels incredibly crisp on the 360 pad on PC @ 60 fps triple-buffered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was enjoying the combat but finding it a bit on the derivative side. Once I did the Shrouded Bunker and got to the Dead City, I have to say that I'm sold. Rage has sold me on its combat. So fucking incredible.

Top Bottom