• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JohngPR said:
So I'm doing the missing persons mission in Ghost Town and
I found the dead bodies, but across from them I see a girl tied up that I don't have access too. Is there any way to rescue her? I tried shooting the ropes she's tied up with but had no luck.
Don't think you can.

As I said earlier, anyone who is lukewarm on the combat, wait until you get to the Dead City. If you still don't like the combat after that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Hell, the intensity should kick in by the time you hit the Shrouded Bunker.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stallion Free said:
The game feels incredibly crisp on the 360 pad on PC @ 60 fps triple-buffered.
The game feels identically crisp to me on both the PS3 and using a 360 pad on the PC. Any issues he is having are likely related to his feelings on the PS3 pad. They are exactly the same in terms of feel (though I prefer using the bumpers for switching weapons over the triggers on a DS3).

I do wish I could turn off the autoaim ...hurts more than it helps.
The auto aim here seems far more subtle than most games, I thought.

JohngPR

thetrin said:
Don't think you can.

Yea believe it or not, I didn't notice her from the front and only saw her from the back tied up so I thought she might have still been alive....guess I wasn't paying attention and walked right past her. LOL

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
The game feels identically crisp to me on both the PS3 and using a 360 pad on the PC. Any issues he is having are likely related to his feelings on the PS3 pad. They are exactly the same in terms of feel (though I prefer using the bumpers for switching weapons over the triggers on a DS3).
Possible, I don't like it for shooters really.
dark10x said:
The auto aim here seems far more subtle than most games, I thought.
Crazy talk, are you just shooting from the hip?

dark10x

StuBurns said:
Possible, I don't like it for shooters really.

Crazy talk, are you just shooting from the hip?
I often shoot from the hip as it feels more natural for an id game. Perhaps that's the issue?

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
I often shoot from the hip as it feels more natural for an id game. Perhaps that's the issue?
Possibly, I'll fire it up, and go from the hip only for a bit, see how it feels, thanks.

JohngPR said:
Yea believe it or not, I didn't notice her from the front and only saw her from the back tied up so I thought she might have still been alive....guess I wasn't paying attention and walked right past her. LOL

I did the EXACT same thing... down to shooting the ropes.

pakkit

Banned
thetrin said:
Don't think you can.
She's only there as a wall forcing you down a different path. I do like how the side missions are changed from the main ones.
Shrouded Bunker looked in shambles the second time through. I almost felt bad going in to kill the stragglers. Almost.

-PXG-

So is this worth $60 or should I buy it used or wait for a sale? I keep on hearing how linear and short this is. Everything else sounds promising though.

Gvaz

Banned
I hate ironsights or scopes for anything other than sniper rifles. There's not really a need for in in pc games imo

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
-PXG- said:
So is this worth $60 or should I buy it used or wait for a sale? I keep on hearing how linear and short this is. Everything else sounds promising though.

The (hub-based) world is open but the progression is linear with a handful of side-quests, primarily through job boards. If you enjoyed id's games of the past, I say it's worth the asking price.

Edit: Posting this made me realise I've yet to consult the job board in Subway Town. Oops.

Autofokus said:
Say hello to Bethesda 2011, all their published games had no English. Next up: Skyrim. :(

But the uber collector edition of Skyrim will be only in english, so if you like dragon and hate localization now you know what to do...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gvaz said:
Theres a job board in wellspring too, I almost missed it.

Yeah, I noticed the Wellspring board. I was disappointed to learn that the board only offered 5 or 6 jobs.

CyReN said:
How far am from finishing the game:

At the part where you are breaking some guy out of jail

You're more or less at the halfway point. I think there's another mission or two required of you in Wellspring and then you're off to the second and final hub.

Sullichin

Played my first Mutant Bash TV last night.. very fun. I'm wishing more that the whole game was just kind of an indoor shooting experience, the whole quest/psuedo open world structure just seems kind of empty, feels like filler.

StuBurns said:
This is a weak argument. If you want realistic damage modeling from weapons in games, games are going to get really lame really fast.
Shooting bullets directly into an enemy's face only to see them them continue on their merry way *is* lame. And this is against beginner enemies, on normal difficulty.

Do what you want with different scatter values, accuracy, penetration and damage types, but for the love of God, bullets to exposed faces should kill, and if they don't they should cripple (like really cripple, none of that Fallout 3 shit).

Guess its a personal pet peeve but for me it reduces the reward element in a shooting game and utterly breaks immersion. Bad guys stop being humanlike and become nothing more than nicely animated buckets of hit points.

AEREC

Sullichin said:
Played my first Mutant Bash TV last night.. very fun. I'm wishing more that the whole game was just kind of an indoor shooting experience, the whole quest/psuedo open world structure just seems kind of empty, feels like filler.

Did they at least include this as an extra mode (like horde mode, firefight, etc...), after you beat the game?

Sullichin

nel e nel said:
I thought there was no auto-aim in any of the versions.

The PS3 version certainly has less auto aim than any other FPS i've played on the system recently. Crysis 2 in particular has ridiculous "snap" auto aim that's definitely not present here.

Did they at least include this as an extra mode (like horde mode, firefight, etc...), after you beat the game?

Shrug. I just got to it in the game.

StuBurns

Banned
NullPointer said:
Shooting bullets directly into an enemy's face only to see them them continue on their merry way *is* lame. And this is against beginner enemies, on normal difficulty.

Do what you want with different scatter values, accuracy, penetration and damage types, but for the love of God, bullets to exposed faces should kill, and if they don't they should cripple (like really cripple, none of that Fallout 3 shit).

Guess its a personal pet peeve but for me it reduces the reward element in a shooting game and utterly breaks immersion. Bad guys stop being humanlike and become nicely animated buckets of hit points.
Well I know for a fact there is one hit kills on normal with a pistol head shot (standard ammo) on PS3 now, because I've been doing it.

I don't get the argument it's immersion breaking, if a game theoretically didn't have one hit head shots. If you can fire around in a guys heart, and he has a ten frame damage animation before returning to running mindlessly towards you, that is every bit as unrealistic as not having head shots. If you shot a man in the knee, he will fall to the ground and cower, games don't do that either, because it's not fun.
Sullichin said:
The PS3 version certainly has less auto aim than any other FPS i've played on the system recently. Crysis 2 in particular has ridiculous "snap" auto aim that's definitely not present here.
It's absolutely there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
It's also a far better idea to always shoot from the hip, since it doesn't seem to hamper your aiming considerably, and you still have access to your wingsticks and grenades.

nel e nel

NullPointer said:
Guess its a personal pet peeve but for me it reduces the reward element in a shooting game and utterly breaks immersion. Bad guys stop being humanlike and become nothing more than nicely animated buckets of hit points.

I tell you what I look for in a game set in a fictional post-apocalyptic universe with nano-enhanced mutants that disintegrate immediately upon death, and that is REALISM.

Sullichin

StuBurns said:
Well I know for a fact there is one hit kills on normal with a pistol head shot (standard ammo) on PS3 now, because I've been doing it.

I don't get the argument it's immersion breaking, if a game theoretically didn't have one hit head shots. If you can fire around in a guys heart, and he has a ten frame damage animation before returning to running mindlessly towards you, that is every bit as unrealistic as not having head shots. If you shot a man in the knee, he will fall to the ground and cower, games don't do that either, because it's not fun.

It's absolutely there.

I don't doubt that it has some auto aim, but in Crysis 2 I could press the zoom button and just immediately snap to an enemy's head.

nel e nel said:
I tell you what I look for in a game set in a fictional post-apocalyptic universe with nano-enhanced mutants that disintegrate immediately upon death, and that is REALISM.
Its not entirely realism that I'm asking for here, although that is one aspect. Its the fact that I get no positive feedback from a headshot (short of using a sniper rifle or the flingy blades), so the end impact of that shot seems no different than a shot to the chest or legs. At the end of the day it weakens gunplay because it feels like you can hit an enemy anywhere and have the same end result (purely a reduction in enemy hit points), and a shooter without that positive feedback for good aim just isn't as fun for me.

I still like the game, but yeah, it does flatten the whole shooting experience to "shoot this enemy X times with this ammo".

Gvaz

Banned
StuBurns said:

It's absolutely there.
How the everloving hell are you counting frames?

That being said there isn't a contention with the animation after shooting a guy, just the reaction to a shot not killing on hitting a dude in the head with a bullet.

oktarb

StuBurns said:

I don't get the argument it's immersion breaking, if a game theoretically didn't have one hit head shots. If you can fire around in a guys heart, and he has a ten frame damage animation before returning to running mindlessly towards you, that is every bit as unrealistic as not having head shots. If you shot a man in knee, he will fall to the ground and cower, games don't do that either, because it's not fun.

It's absolutely there.

Well they are going for a certain amount of immersion in this game. This can be seen with a couple of things. One, some enemies where helmets. Helmets that you can shoot off. This leads one to believe that the head need protection. yet if you shoot a guy without the helmet it rarely kills them. The grunt, duck and shoot back.

Second, they have a whole scripted animation where guys fall down and then fires from a prone position after you do heavy damage. This too leads to an attempt at immersion.

It still seems to me the enemies are 'buckets of hit points'. Some have more and some have less. So sometime you can headshot someone and they die. Other times you can't because you didn't do enough damage.

Fallout suffered from this too. You should sniper them in the brain bucket, the camera would go all dramatically slow, blood would spray everywhere and then wham back to normal speed and they're still running right at you.

Call it how you like but this simply doesn't feel right.

GrayFoxPL

I got my ps3 version. First time right on release day!

Tbh the first hour of the game is dull and disappointing, but later it picks up and starts getting into good shit. The enemies animation and hit reaction especially at shotgun shot is top notch. Easily the best part of the game.

They fucked up a little with the shadow settings in dungeons. In darker areas game looks way worse then in fully lit rooms.
Shadows in dungeons have different tint - in first it is green, blue in second and purple in third. Bizzaro. In hub towns lightning and shadows appear to be much better and correct, no tint. Wtf ID?

Game installed pretty fast for me, I expected worse. Faster then DNF 5 gig.

Texture pop in varies greatly from area to area. Like some areas are better optimized then others. In some places textures load really super quick others seem to really take their time lol.

To be honest gfx aren't that impressive in game. The rock mountains look the best but that's it. It's ok but nothing to gasp about. And those fucked up shadowy areas drag the impression down.

Aiming is very precise I love it.

Funny thing at bandits voices, they speak with clean British accent. Kinda unfitting for desert barbarians but funny.

FLEABttn

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Sony has a limit on how much is allowed to be installed. They actually waived this just for id and allowed them 8gbs ...before it was something like 4-5 only.

I believe it's a limit on mandatory install. Pretty sure you can give people the option to install more than that if they desire. See GT5.

Also, they'll have waivers as needed. See DCUO.

dark10x

They fucked up a little with the shadow settings in dungeons. In darker areas game looks way worse then in fully lit rooms.
Shadows in dungeons have different tint - in first it is green, blue in second and purple in third. Bizzaro. In hub towns lightning and shadows appear to be much better and correct, no tint. Wtf ID?
It's color grading.

I actually think it looks great, actually, but it is a bit different.

nel e nel

NullPointer said:
Its not entirely realism that I'm asking for here, although that is one aspect. Its the fact that I get no positive feedback from a headshot (short of using a sniper rifle or the flingy blades), so the end impact of that shot seems no different than a shot to the chest or legs. At the end of the day it weakens gunplay because it feels like you can hit an enemy anywhere and have the same end result (purely a reduction in enemy hit points), and a shooter without that positive feedback for good aim just isn't as fun for me.

I still like the game, but yeah, it does flatten the whole shooting experience to "shoot this enemy X times with this ammo".

Really, your not feeling ANY feedback from headshots? I'm playing on Hard, and while I'm not expecting to get one hit kills with the pistol, I definitely see some feedback, even if it's slight.

How far along in the game are you? As you progress, there are different factions with different armors that affect their reactions.

I guess it's subjective thing then, because while I have nitpicked about some of the environmental textures, the AI is pretty amazing with how it reacts to hit detection.

FGMPR

Banned
I'm enjoying this game and everything, but honestly, its the ugliest PC game I've played in a long time. It genuinely looks like a game from almost 10 years ago. The textures are disgusting beyond belief, and they drag the whole presentation down a huge amount.

I understand things have to be sacrificed on console in order to achieve 60fps, but I don't play on console. I play on PC, and I'm used to 60fps with something that doesn't look so terrible. Artistically the game is great, though. It's just a shame that art has been gimped by these horrible 2001-esq textures.

GrayFoxPL said:
Tbh the first hour oh the game is dull and disappointing, but later it picks up and starts getting into good shit.
I felt the same. Really the first couple of hours for me. Now that I'm 6 hours or so in I'm really digging it. Fun game and it looks fantastic on my 360. =O

GrayFoxPL

dark10x said:
It's color grading.

I actually think it looks great, actually, but it is a bit different.

I hate it, at first I thought it's my tv but when I noticed it changes from dungeon to dungeon I understood it was devs idea. In lit areas and hubs the game looks 8/10 for me, in shadows it's 6/10 at best.

54-46!

Hell yes! strafe jumping is in, can reach Quake level speeds too - so good.

Does anyone know how to bind a toggle? I want to use mouse2 for both jump and zoom, I've tried doing it like in Q3 (with alias) but it doesn't seem to work.

With the config in place it's not too bad. Such a shame I don't have 5.1 for some bizarre reason.
I like the look of the game, the design of the characters, the feel of combat. But I wish the sky box changed or there was a day-to-night change too.

Xander51

Truant said:
Something went seriously wrong during development of this game. The final mission is from 1997. Seriously. It's like a different game. What a horrible ending to a great game.

I wish I got more out of the second hub. It looked so amazing.

Game should have been twice as long.

I fully agree with this. Although I sort of liked the Doom-y, throwback nature of the last level, it's such a lame area compared to the clever design of every previous level. The ending of the game is incredibly anti-climactic, and there's no real final boss...it just kind of ends. Terrible let down of an ending. Loved the rest of the game though.

oktarb

nel e nel said:
I guess it's subjective thing then, because while I have nitpicked about some of the environmental textures, the AI is pretty amazing with how it reacts to hit detection.

Interesting. How does one react from a bullet slammming through one's face? I tend to die. I don't ponder my cover options.

StuBurns

Banned
The fact head shots can be one hit kills implies there is an issue with the collision model, not the design. I think it's very unlikely random mutants are meant to have a higher tolerance to being shot in the face than others.

And thanks dark10x, just played a little only from the hip, felt much nicer.

Salsa

StuBurns said:
The fact head shots can be one hit kills implies there is an issue with the collision model, not the design. I think it's very unlikely random mutants are meant to have a higher tolerance to being shot in the face than others.

not a huge fan of how they're handling this on Nightmare. Some enemies take about 3 blows to the head before going down, but im guessing its to justify the different ammo types, since they do go down with one fat boy.

also yeah, ignore Iron Sights completely. Them being basically useless besides zoom was a great surprise, id game using relying on iron sights would have been weird.

nel e nel

Xander51 said:
Truant said:
Something went seriously wrong during development of this game. The final mission is from 1997. Seriously. It's like a different game. What a horrible ending to a great game.

I wish I got more out of the second hub. It looked so amazing.

Game should have been twice as long.

I fully agree with this. Although I sort of liked the Doom-y, throwback nature of the last level, it's such a lame area compared to the clever design of every previous level. The ending of the game is incredibly anti-climactic, and there's no real final boss...it just kind of ends. Terrible let down of an ending. Loved the rest of the game though.I fully agree with this. Although I sort of liked the Doom-y, throwback nature of the last level, it's such a lame area compared to the clever design of every previous level. The ending of the game is incredibly anti-climactic, and there's no real final boss...it just kind of ends. Terrible let down of an ending. Loved the rest of the game though.

You all should check out Adam Sessler's review on G4tv as well as his Sessler Soapbox from this week. He directly addresses this issue.

nel e nel

oktarb said:
Interesting. How does one react from a bullet slammming through one's face? I tend to die. I don't ponder my cover options.

Actually, the nanocites in my system cause me to regenerate on the fly. Also, I can punch through walls.

Top Bottom