• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Xander51

nel e nel said:
You all should check out Adam Sessler's review on G4tv as well as his Sessler Soapbox from this week. He directly addresses this issue.

Cool, I'll have to do that. Sessler's Soapbox was always great, this reminds me to catch up on episodes I've missed!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
54-46! said:
Hell yes! strafe jumping is in, can reach Quake level speeds too - so good.

Does anyone know how to bind a toggle? I want to use mouse2 for both jump and zoom, I've tried doing it like in Q3 (with alias) but it doesn't seem to work.

Yeah, attempting to bind two (and presumably more) functions to a single key renders each function invalid (the engine switches between each function but says they're unknown). I imagine this is so players can't create their own advantageous scripts.

owlbeak

Can GAF comment on how good the coop is in this game (Xbox 360)? I was underwhelmed by the reviews, but am curious about whether the game is worth getting to play coop with a friend.

nel e nel

birdcity said:
Can GAF comment on how good the coop is in this game (Xbox 360)? I was underwhelmed by the reviews, but am curious about whether the game is worth getting to play coop with a friend.

I've played through 2 of the 9 co-op missions so far. They are quite fun and are little side stories to the main game.

You do not take your weapons from the main campaign into the co-op missions, you get a pre-set loadout that appears to be different for each mission. They are also short, ~20 minutes or so each, and only 2 difficulties: normal and nightmare.

I wouldn't spend $60 just for the co-op. The MP is also fun, but also not worth the price tag for that part alone.

Xander51

birdcity said:

The co-op is limited to a handful of small scenarios, it's not full game co-op. If that's what you're going into this for, you're probably better off skipping it.

owlbeak

Xander51 said:
The co-op is limited to a handful of small scenarios, it's not full game co-op. If that's what you're going into this for, you're probably better off skipping it.
Damn. That's what I was curious about. Thanks! Saved me $60 :)

JaseC

Gueras said:
is worth $49 ??? Xbox360 version

If you're after a classic-feel, open-hub-based-world-but-linear-progression shooter with very light RPG elements, yes.

Nafai1123

Banned
Man, this game has some of the best enemy animation I've ever seen. Gunplay is fantastic and the game looks great provided you don't go right up to a texture and see how shitty it looks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's really nothing open about the game at all, even in the overworld. It's a slightly more open bunch of corridors which you traverse through in a vehicle instead of on your feet. It's extremely disappointing how many invisible walls there are in this game keeping you from going places that look like you should be able to go to.

zlatko

Banned
People who haven't played the PS3 version are lucky as hell. I'm seriously scratching my head how they could let this much pop in happen 24/7. At no point in my playing has this game not been popping in textures all over the place, and it makes my PS3 disc sound like it's a DJ at a rave high as hell on E.

I have a AMD card for my PC that can run this game, and was wondering how does the pop-in fair there? I'm willing to just take this PS3 version back to Blockbuster and pick up Rage later on a Steam sale if the pop-in is not an issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
People who haven't played the PS3 version are lucky as hell. I'm seriously scratching my head how they could let this much pop in happen 24/7. At no point in my playing has this game not been popping in textures all over the place, and it makes my PS3 disc sound like it's a DJ at a rave high as hell on E.

I have a AMD card for my PC that can run this game, and was wondering how does the pop-in fair there? I'm willing to just take this PS3 version back to Blockbuster and pick up Rage later on a Steam sale if the pop-in is not an issue.

If you have at least 4GB of system memory and a video card with 1GB of RAM, you can mostly eliminate pop-in except in a few areas. You just need the newest drivers and a quick config edit, and you're good to go. Textures will pop-in for the first 5 seconds or so after loading the game, but after that you won't notice them popping at all. Mileage may vary depending on how much AA you apply, though. I was using 4x AA until I noticed that I had dramatically less pop-in at 2x AA.

JaseC

Gueras said:
Thanks! I'll give a try :)

No worries. Hopefully it clicks with you as it did with myself and indeed many others. For some, such as myself, that moment came when you first unloaded a shotgun into an enemies face and realised "now this is an id game", while for others it was when they reached Wellspring, where the game opens up somewhat and begins proper.

zlatko

Banned
Zefah said:
If you have at least 4GB of system memory and a video card with 1GB of RAM, you can mostly eliminate pop-in except in a few areas. You just need the newest drivers and a quick config edit, and you're good to go. Textures will pop-in for the first 5 seconds or so after loading the game, but after that you won't notice them popping at all. Mileage may vary depending on how much AA you apply, though. I was using 4x AA until I noticed that I had dramatically less pop-in at 2x AA.

Yeah I have 8GB of ram and a 5870, so that should be no problem.

Shame I'll have to put this game on hold due to being a broke bastard, but the pop-in is completely destroying the immersion for me. :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
zlatko said:

Even with the textures installed, it is accessing the disc that much? Interesting.

I am intrigued by how varied people's reactions are to this game, especially on PS3. I completely respect Dark10x's words when it comes to impressions, but when I read what is quoted, I have to wonder if there is variability from console to console, or the pop-in is the same but just drives some nuts while others are oblivious. I would think some of the more persnickety members such as Dark would tale issue with that much pop-in.

JaseC

DenogginizerOS said:
Even with the textures installed, it is accessing the disc that much? Interesting.

I am intrigued by how varied people's reactions are to this game, especially on PS3. I completely respect Dark10x's words when it comes to impressions, but when I read what is quoted, I have to wonder if there is variability from console to console, or the pop-in is the same but just drives some nuts while others are oblivious. I would think some of the more persnickety members such as Dark would tale issue with that much pop-in.

An 8GB install still leaves over 3GB of unique texture data on the disc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Yeah I have 8GB of ram and a 5870, so that should be no problem.

Shame I'll have to put this game on hold due to being a broke bastard, but the pop-in is completely destroying the immersion for me. :(

Yeah, I'm running 4GB and a 5870, and it runs extremely will with almost no texture pop-in.

You'll still have your immersion broken if you're at all like me, though. The awful texture resolution and completely static environments will be more than enough to accomplish that.

Sullichin

DenogginizerOS said:

I feel like I'm not that picky when it comes to stuff like this but the pop-in is really unacceptable in some places (PS3 slim). I'm almost seeing untextured enviroments more often than not!

CyReN

Help

I'm in the jail level and I have no material to make emp gernades, do I have to go out and buy some?

JaseC

CyReN said:
Help

I'm in the jail level and I have no material to make emp gernades, do I have to go out and buy some?

I'd say so. Enemies of specific areas don't respawn, so when you return you'll be able to run straight to your previous point of impasse, worrying only about the wind you leave behind with every step of your striding gait.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Xander51 said:
I fully agree with this. Although I sort of liked the Doom-y, throwback nature of the last level, it's such a lame area compared to the clever design of every previous level. The ending of the game is incredibly anti-climactic, and there's no real final boss...it just kind of ends. Terrible let down of an ending. Loved the rest of the game though.
I would actually be disappointed if an id game didn't have a anti-climactic non-ending. :p

zlatko

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

All I can go by is my own reactions with my time spent. I rarely make a fuss about the tech side of games, and even didn't notice choppy frame rate on the 360 version of Lords of Shadow while other GAFfers said it was total ass.

This pop in though and the disc grinding it's been doing, plus the green poo pictures I'll upload later tonight here are just impossible to not notice.

I'm using an 80GB fat model PS3 for reference in case maybe it has a weird issue of handling differently on various PS3 models. It's just a shame it's this bad, because the actual gameplay so far is fantastic and the way enemies have been reacting is phenomenal. :)

CyReN

JaseC said:
I'd say so. Enemies of specific areas don't respawn, so when you return you'll be able to run straight to your previous point of impasse, worrying only about the wind you leave behind with every step of your striding gait.

Figured it out, thanks for the help!

msv

I think the Left and Right channel on my headphones are switched in Rage. Anyone else have the same problem?

CyReN

I got a Rage code for Stream if anybody wants one, my PC can't run it for sure and I'm a console gamer.

Enjoying the game a lot more now, enemy movements are incredible.

is it free :p.i would like that then :)

edit-
CyReN said:
I got a Rage code for Stream if anybody wants one, my PC can't run it for sure and I'm a console gamer.

StuBurns

Banned
CyReN said:
I'd love it, but I already own it on PS3. So I don't want it unless someone who doesn't have it elsewhere doesn't ask.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
CyReN said:

Is, uh, this for free. Heh.

CyReN

Yea it's free, I don't want to derail the thread with a silly contest.

Just send me a honest paragraph on why you should get it, I rather have someone who loves gaming and is having financial issues to get it instead of someone who doesn't want to pay if it helps. I'm trying to be nice, so please be honest with me. I'll pick a winner by 4:30pm est. (11 minutes from now)

Manp

CyReN said:
Yea it's free, I don't want to derail the thread with a silly contest.

Just send me a honest paragraph on why you should get it, I rather have someone who loves gaming and is having financial issues to get it instead of someone who doesn't want to pay if it helps. I'm trying to be nice, so please be honest with me. I'll pick a winner by 4:30pm est. (11 minutes from now)

you are actually a nice guy. this makes me remember that i have a spare dirt 3 code to give away...

CyReN

DenogginizerOS said:
NVM! I didn't want your stupid code anyway!!! :p

Congrats to GBA!

I know, I got 3 and read them all and I like his reasoning the the best. I don't own a PS3 anymore either but thanks.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
CyReN is my favorite person in the world. <3

Thanks again, so much. I really mean that.

AgentOtaku said:
I agree that the shotgun(s), while sounding godly, are also probably the most unfun weapons to use so far =(

This could have been mitaged if only one of them had the spread that they do. I should have been the double-barrell. Sadly they both are this way and are largly useless.

I don't agree with this...I've had most fun with the shotguns in this game. Id knows how to do shotguns, and this game is no different IMO.

Top Bottom