• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

you know what this game needs? and probably will get? a horde-like mode. Something like bash TV but with infinite waves and co-op, combat is too satisfying to not have a mode like that.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just played the first hours and I'm totally satisfied by it. I get the feeling I'm playing a classic and one of those Fps that retain the original formula so long forgotten. Here you shoot and it's funny shooting because it feels so good. You don't need anything else 'till it gives you so many satisfactions. The team behind iD managed still again to give every weapon a zelda-item feeling to it: when you get a new one, you know you have a new tool... a new tool that open possibilities for new gore destructions. This game is gorgeous and genuinely fun. I'm relived to see that someone didn't forget what Fps once meant to all of us. It's a perfect arcade, smooth, fast, clean, refined, precise, frenetic – you know that evetything is designed and shaped perfectly, you feel it: from the graphics to the immense style (oh GOD, the Wasteland... isn't it the most beautiful thing I've seen in this generation of consoles?), to the AI of the enemies, the feeling of the weapons, the racing, the upgrades, the level design... and, the megatextures give it so much charisma: if I can call a game a work of an artisan, I'd say RAGE has been made by one. Every single inch in this game is carefully constructed. The attention to details is something I haven't seen before pushed so far. It's amazing what they can do with this technology.

I'm lovin' it.

fanboi

Banned
FGMPR said:
I'm enjoying this game and everything, but honestly, its the ugliest PC game I've played in a long time. It genuinely looks like a game from almost 10 years ago. The textures are disgusting beyond belief, and they drag the whole presentation down a huge amount.

I understand things have to be sacrificed on console in order to achieve 60fps, but I don't play on console. I play on PC, and I'm used to 60fps with something that doesn't look so terrible. Artistically the game is great, though. It's just a shame that art has been gimped by these horrible 2001-esq textures.

Are you trolling? My meter is in for a sanity check.

Salsa

Mr_eX said:
I think Rage has the best shotgun since Doom.

Agreed.

Id take it a notch further and say that its the best shooter (judging it just on its shooter aspects) ive played in a long, long ass time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fanboi said:
Are you trolling? My meter is in for a sanity check.

Have you taken a close look at, well, just about any texture? Shit is ugly. It didn't really start to bother me until the Dead City area. That place is inexcusably low-res. Great art direction, but the texture resolution settings are stuck on ultra-low or something.

MrBig

Zefah said:
Have you taken a close look at, well, just about any texture? Shit is ugly. It didn't really start to bother me until the Dead City area. That place is inexcusably low-res. Great art direction, but the texture resolution settings are stuck on ultra-low or something.
Turn on 16k textures before you continue complaining.

Mr_eX

SalsaShark said:
Agreed.

Id take it a notch further and say that its the best shooter (judging it just on its shooter aspects) ive played in a long, long ass time.
I agree with that so far, and I'm only a few hours in(last thing I did was the first sponsored race).

GeoramA

Mr_eX said:
I agree with that so far, and I'm only a few hours in(last thing I did was the first sponsored race).
Just did that and I'm about 8 hours in.

I'm not just screwing around either, just doing as much side stuff as I can before I go on with the mainline missions.

There's A LOT to do in this game. I don't know what game the reviewers at Joystiq and Ars played...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Zefah said:
Have you taken a close look at, well, just about any texture? Shit is ugly.

This keeps coming up..and its one of those things that ya just gotta get past or accept.

Yes put your nose to the wall all you see is this.
24wrhxe.jpg

step back you see this
joconde.jpg

yes hyperbole but that's the point of the tech..in context its more then just a zoomed in texture

Salsa

bloodydrake said:
This keeps coming up..and its one of those things that ya just gotta get past or accept.

http://i56.tinypic.com/24wrhxe.jpg[/ MG]

step back you see this
[IMG]http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/joconde.jpg[/ MG]

yes hyperbole but that's the point of the tech..in context its more then just a zoomed in texture[/QUOTE]

pretty much. I bet the game is a pain in the ass for elitist, but just let yourself go and enjoy it, there's nothing to take you out of the experience considering you rarely get to face a fucking wall inches away.

This game. THIS GAME.

Started forging out farther from Wellspring and all I have to say is holy shit. Sometimes the visuals are nothing short of astonishing, and its one of those games where you want to take a time machine back and show yourself as a kid what was to come.

This really does feel like id's Bioshock, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Especially when the game actually works. Its stunning at times and well worth the driver hassles. ;P

Mr_eX

GeoramA said:
Just did that and I'm about 8 hours in.

I'm not just screwing around either, just doing as much side stuff as I can before I go on with the mainline missions.

There's A LOT to do in this game. I don't know what game the reviewers at Joystiq and Ars played...
I'm a little under 4 hours in, I've been taking my time. I've done 2 sewers so far and those got a little intense.

I keep forgetting that I have the wingstick(heh my phone wants to auto correct that to win stick) but when I remember I have it it's super satisfying to use. Especially when you're able to pull the stick out of someone's head as they're falling to the ground.

Just got this game for free from Bethesda Insider for liking a bunch of games on facebook and answering some questions. Dling now from Steam.

For those who preordered on pc, how do you activate your armor? I have my double barrel shotgun and fists but I see no armor in my inventory.

GhostRidah said:
For those who preordered on pc, how do you activate your armor? I have my double barrel shotgun and fists but I see no armor in my inventory.

It's a main quest, from the chinese dude with the raiden hat.

Mr_eX

GhostRidah said:
When you get to the first real city you have to select which armor you want(it's more like selecting a class) and you'll see the armor there. From the descriptions it sounds like it's the best armor and it makes all the other armor seem pointless.

pakkit

Banned
Mr_eX said:
When you get to the first real city you have to select which armor you want(it's more like selecting a class) and you'll see the armor there. From the descriptions it sounds like it's the best armor and it makes all the other armor seem pointless.
Only pussies get Crimson elite /keeponhating

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodydrake said:

step back you see this

yes hyperbole but that's the point of the tech..in context its more then just a zoomed in texture

I'm not sure how to respond to this. At least you admit to hyperbole.

You don't have to get very close to objects to realize how low-res the textures are.

Zefah said:

You don't have to get very close to objects to realize how low-res the textures are.
Some of them are just plain bad, even at mid distances. I personally don't mind it as the overall effect is incredible, but it is noticeable especially so if you're more sensitive to that kind of thing.

I would really like to see this game played at full texture resolution.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Zefah said:

All I'm saying is ..Yes.. the textures could and should be higher res..however when you step back and play the game..its fucking glorious.

Walking thru the town hubs, its like a movie it has so much density. when you hop on a buggy and go do the Mayors mission near dead city to get that refined crystal..its jaw dropping beautiful. Its stunning..
But at any point you can ruin it by pushing(pulling for the inverted fiends) your mouse down and staring at the ground texture 4feet away and going ...but but but this is blurry.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodydrake said:
All I'm saying is ..Yes.. the textures could and should be higher res..however when you step back and play the game..its fucking glorious.

Walking thru the town hubs, its like a movie it has so much density. when you hop on a buggy and go do the Mayors mission near dead city to get that refined crystal..its jaw dropping beautiful. Its stunning..
But at any point you can ruin it by pushing(pulling for the inverted fiends) your mouse down and staring at the ground texture 4feet away and going ...but but but this is blurry.

It's not the same for me, honestly. I realize how awesome and dense the areas are. The art is great. It's just that the assets were designed at such a higher resolution, and are instead compressed to look like shit. I can't not notice that. It's extremely distracting to me. I enter Wellspring for example, and the stuff far away from me looks amazing, but at the same time I see muddy shit-for-textures out of the corner of my eye. It's such a contradicting visual message, that it becomes extremely distracting for me. This was especially true in the Dead City so far.

I guess I just wish they designed their assets around their targeted system specs from the beginning rather than designing them for their dev machines and then compressing them down to fit within a tiny amount of memory.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
but how could 16k make such a noticeable difference from 8k? at that point the pop-in could be happening for a different reason

The values we're talking about are the size of the page file cache; the whole reason VRAM usage goes up is because more texture data is being stored there by these page files.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
its something to do with how the megatexture is cut up into chunks for memory..larger the chunk more gets loaded whether in frame or not.
or well i think its like that

zlatko

Banned
Two questions:

Can I just sell the bobble head or is there a reason to hold onto it?

Is this sniper rifle mission off the job board impossible? Reload time is way too long on my rifle, and the speed at which enemies run/angles they run at makes even leading a target impossible for me. To add to the frustration is the fact that the NPC using his rifle has too little of health and dies after 4 whacks if they get to him. Plus, they'll scale to where I am if I don't take them out. :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Two questions:

Is this sniper rifle mission off the job board impossible? Reload time is way too long on my rifle, and the speed at which enemies run/angles they run at makes even leading a target impossible for me. To add to the frustration is the fact that the NPC using his rifle has too little of health and dies after 4 whacks if they get to him. Plus, they'll scale to where I am if I don't take them out. :/

I did that sniper rifle mission (not sure if there are more than one--it was where you had to protect a guy who was trying to repair shit outside of wellspring) and found it to be pretty damn easy. Of course, I'm using a mouse for the first person shooting segments. What difficulty are you playing on?

zlatko said:
Two questions:

My only advice would be to steady your aim, don't try to lead the shots, don't fire until you know you've got a shot and take the opportunity to reload between waves. I don't think there is a trick to that mission besides solid aiming.

JRW

Zefah said:
I did that sniper rifle mission (not sure if there are more than one--it was where you had to protect a guy who was trying to repair shit outside of wellspring) and found it to be pretty damn easy. Of course, I'm using a mouse for the first person shooting segments. What difficulty are you playing on?

I beat both of those sniper missions on first try with mouse + keyboard (Hard difficulty).

zlatko

Banned
NullPointer said:
My only advice would be to steady your aim, don't try to lead the shots, don't fire until you know you've got a shot and take the opportunity to reload between waves. I don't think there is a trick to that mission besides solid aiming.

Shitty. I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty, so if I don't get a headshot it takes 3-4 shots to bring one of them down. ><

Oh and I'm on PS3 so no super precise aiming for me. ; ;

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Shitty. I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty, so if I don't get a headshot it takes 3-4 shots to bring one of them down. ><

Wow, on Hard on the PC they usually go down in one or two shots to the body.

Sounds like a shitty situation :(... at least it's optional.

zlatko said:

You're best bet is just not to lead then. I don't think there is bullet drop or travel time, or at least I haven't noticed it.

I just did that sniper job. Definitely super easy with the mouse and keyboard. Take solace in that your races are easier (until we plug in a controller, which we can do if we so desire).

The rumors of this game's shittyness have been greatly exaggerated. I'm having a blast with it, even if it is fairly straightforward. The combat is great, the driving is great, and so long as you're not staring at the walls, the graphics are great.

Top Bottom