• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

MechDX

People who are bitchin about the default pistol did you not get the "Anarchy Edition"? I had a double barreled sawed off shotgun on mission 1 available.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Impressions of the gameplay was really mediocre for the first 4 hours I've played. Not really much of a looker on the PC as well, to be honest, for all the hype surrounding it. And that is after the hoops I needed to jump through just to get this game running smoothly.

Tom Penny said:
So you never walked close up to something ....
Texture detail isn't everything. This game proves it. The visuals are outstanding.

Gravijah said:
played this a bit more earlier. god, the animations are so gorgeous.
Hell yes! They are amazing.

Gvaz said:
The caprino is trash, it drives like an SUV
You get used to it. It's my primary vehicle right now. I fucking LOVE hitting the booster and plowing through a bandit's buggy. Like a fly hitting a windshield.

Okay, so I'm sure it's been said countless times already, but I've played the game for an hour and 20 min, and it's like Borderlands on all fronts (not a problem, I dug Borderlands), this really feels so similar, with obviously the setting, loneliness, and then the cities or camps (more camps than cities in Borderlands though) where you meet some people that give you some tasks or missions.

Does it depart from it afterwards or not?!

Might get this during Christmas. CGR described it as closer to being an open-worldish Bioshock with car combat, which sounds better than the half-assed Fallout comparisons I'm hearing.

I was thinking the PC version (running Phenom x6, 2x HD 6950s. 8GB RAM), but I've heard about the technical issues, so I'm thinking PS3 instead. I imagine the PC version will be fixed eventually, but I'm not terribly patient. How is the PS3 version compared to the 360 version?

Mr. Pointy said:
Might get this during Christmas. CGR described it as closer to being an open-worldish Bioshock with car combat, which sounds better than the half-assed Fallout comparisons I'm hearing.

I was thinking the PC version (running Phenom x6, 2x HD 6950s. 8GB RAM), but I've heard about the technical issues, so I'm thinking PS3 instead. I imagine the PC version will be fixed eventually, but I'm not terribly patient. How is the PS3 version compared to the 360 version?

Jaggies seem the order of the day on all (console only?) fronts from what i've heard. There was a little pop in the beginning i noticed with the PS3 version after the massive install but it haven't noticed it at all after nearly 6hrs in.

I'd assure you it's not a half-assed Fallout. Probably a more tighter version with better gunplay and more fun seeing as though you don't have to walk everywhere. Also none of that crap that makes you slower walking around with loot. Everything is mainstreamed pretty much but doesn't feel as limiting as Mass Effect 2 loot wise.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Okay, so I'm sure it's been said countless times already, but I've played the game for an hour and 20 min, and it's like Borderlands on all fronts (not a problem, I dug Borderlands), this really feels so similar, with obviously the setting, loneliness, and then the cities or camps (more camps than cities in Borderlands though) where you meet some people that give you some tasks or missions.

Does it depart from it afterwards or not?!
Goodness fucking gracious. You've only been playing the game for an hour and 20 minutes. Why don't you just play it some more?

EDIT: Forgot the hour.

Salsa

Yeah, people with doubts: First hour and so its a bit rough, afterwards its a fucking stellar game that completely stands on its own and shows much of id's identity. This is very much an id game and has nothing to do with Borderlands other than the "quest" structure and somewhat the setting (even though art-wise this game blows it the fuck out of the water).

X26

Banned
Been watching a stream for the last 20min, definitely my kind of game, will be picking it up eventually

The_Endgamer said:
You friend deserve a cake.

It's definitely funnier than Borderlands, yep. Btw, the game tears like a mofo on my set up, apparently, Carmack said a patch would be released, with VSync in it, really annoying, but on the bright side, I have a low level of pop in.

Grayman

The game keeps growing on me. Dead City and the Following Well mission turned it up 3 notches of awesome. My opinion of the game will be very high if the fighting can stay at this level.

One of the ghost clan guys walljumped then kicked me across the room(small vertical, huge horizontal knockback). That made me want a DM game with Mirror's Edge or brink movement bad.

For the feldspar stuff,
I was offered a quest to trade
20 for another defib bar.
Can I get something that is not completely useless later instead?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
THE-Pink-Dagger said:
It's definitely funnier than Borderlands, yep. Btw, the game tears like a mofo on my set up, apparently, Carmack said a patch would be released, with VSync in it, really annoying, but on the bright side, I have a low level of pop in.

Yeah, the tearing is some of the worst I've seen of any recent PC game. Saved, stopped, enabled it by myself, got back in the game. All gone now.

I just got to the
Mutant Bash TV part.
Goddamn am I glad id's back.

Grayman

I was doing that with the controller and when I was in a mission I left it on the floor which converted my desk into a force feedback device.

Grayman said:
I was doing that with the controller and when I was in a mission I left it on the floor which converted my desk into a force feedback device.

I'd love it if we were able to toggle which button prompts appear on the screen, because as much as I like the controller for driving, I'd prefer to see the keyboard commands when I jump out of the buggies to lay waste to whoever.

StuBurns

Banned
Do you get given an AK at all? I can buy it, but I want it for free, I've got everything else for free. I was enjoying it a lot more, but I've just died for the first time, so I'm a little annoyed right now.

voltron

RAGE desperately needs a stealthy cover type move like what was in Deus Ex (and many games these days).

Anyone else agree?

eek5

cyen said:
Me too... clocked 8 hours.. :\ pretty great game but should have been twice has long.
I managed to squeeze ~14.5 on hard difficulty (not including areas where I had to replay). People weren't kidding when they said it ends right when the game starts to pick up. I had a lot of fun though but that abrupt ending was kind of a kick in the balls. I never even used some of the better guns I got towards the end of the game because I was saving the ammo for a final boss or something :mad:

voltron said:
RAGE desperately needs a stealthy cover type move like what was in Deus Ex (and many games these days).

Anyone else agree?

Yeah I wish I could've taken cover like the enemies did. That was one thing that bummed me out. I'd go to recover health but I'd just be crouching and taking fire because I couldn't get behind real cover.

cyen

eek5 said:
I managed to squeeze ~14.5 on hard difficulty (not including areas where I had to replay). People weren't kidding when they said it ends right when the game starts to pick up. I had a lot of fun though but that abrupt ending was kind of a kick in the balls. I never even used some of the better guns I got towards the end of the game because I was saving the ammo for a final boss or something :mad:

Ive only done the main quest´s and some racing, playing on hard also, i know that with the side quest´s, jobs etc it would clocked higher

voltron

Pylon_Trooper said:
And quicktime events. Probably more QTEs.

No.

The implication of your post is not warranted just from me expressing a desire for a cover system. I just feels natural being able to shoot from cover.

voltron said:
No.

The implication of your post is not warranted just from me expressing a desire for a cover system. I just feels natural being able to shoot from cover.
Indeed. The enemy does it, why can't you?

Played for a few hours so far. Wouldn't say it's boring. It's definitely got its own character. But plot? Story? Fuck knows. I really don't like playing nameless, voice less characters. Just strikes me as lack of imagination.

syoaran

Played the entire co-op in one sitting last night (PC). Sadly a very forgettable experience. Unless your going for the leaderboards, the levels provide almost no challenge on Nightmare until the end, and even then its only because the game spawns 1shot kill mobs ontop of you with no warning.

This is a game I really want to enjoy, but I'm having trouble doing so. I love the first town I walked into, but when I'm outside I feel like its a fairly forgettable game. Pity, because I feel this is the best iD game to date.

Slackbladder said:
Indeed. The enemy does it, why can't you?
I think its possible to do it and still keep the flow and speed of the game but it'd really have to be just a kindof hunker down system, not really attaching to cover. Just a better way of providing feedback when you are using cover as you normally would, only something that could provide you those extra two inches of protection you thought you had against that enemy turret that's tearing you to shit. Just show your left hand pressing against the wall and have your dude shirk down a few inches.

Doesn't happen enough to be an actual design problem but something like that could actually add to the moment without turning things into stop and pop.

syoaran said:
I love the first town I walked into, but when I'm outside I feel like its a fairly forgettable game. Pity, because I feel this is the best iD game to date.
Its unfortunate and I feel the same way. I'd like to roam the wasteland on foot, but its really just a vehicle gauntlet. I do love the on foot missions themselves though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Yeah, the tearing is some of the worst I've seen of any recent PC game. Saved, stopped, enabled it by myself, got back in the game. All gone now.

I just got to the
Mutant Bash TV part.
Goddamn am I glad id's back.

Yeah man, I'm usually not one to notice v-sync but this was horrendous. Thankfully it went away after I forced it in nvidia's control panel. For some people that crashes their system, but I haven't checked if the latest patch fixed that.

Thunderbear said:
Yeah man, I'm usually not one to notice v-sync but this was horrendous. Thankfully it went away after I forced it in nvidia's control panel. For some people that crashes their system, but I haven't checked if the latest patch fixed that.
Its also a launch option "+r_swapInterval 1" if that helps with things. Don't know if its just doing the same thing under the hood though.

voltron said:
No.

Which is all fine, but I think it would seriously damage the pace of the game. id games have always been about movement and shooting - to break it down to painfully obvious facets - and I just don't think the game would benefit from a stop-and-pop approach.

Forgive my facetiousness.

how long is the second cd? if I return the game today gamestop give me a new game for free...

The game is good but very constricted. After 9 hours Rage start to be a little boring

voltron

Goddam it looks sexy outdoors though. Really. Wish they could use this engine for Fallout type games.

The 60fps thing is awesome too. Forget how good it is when you havent played a 60fps game for so long. Actually took some adjusting as far as movement for shooting and stuff. Tweaked the sensitivity down a touch when usually the first thing I do in shooters is just the opposite.

FGMPR

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I can't think of a single game that has better feeling shooting than this.

Probably Killing Floor for me. Other than that though, Rage has to be very close in that regard.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The game has completely won me over. Up close it still looks subpar, but overall the game is beautiful once you get further in.

Also this is without a doubt the best FPS I played this year. It's a shame the game doesn't have characters worth talking about, or a decent story. But the combat is just there.

Very very good game.

Solo

SalsaShark said:
i love this game so goddamn much

For all the flak id has been getting, this is easily their most awesome SP campaign since Doom. At moments, it IS Doom. And I mean that as a compliment of the highest order. Mutant Bash TV = Doom 2011. And its fucking glorious.

id are still kings.

Solo

Oh man, the Shrouded bunker was awesome. I love how the Shrouded are basically Doom space marines meets Quake Space Marines meets Mad Max.

Top Bottom