• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

GeoramA

WrikaWrek said:
The game has completely won me over. Up close it still looks subpar, but overall the game is beautiful once you get further in.

Also this is without a doubt the best FPS I played this year. It's a shame the game doesn't have characters worth talking about, or a decent story. But the combat is just there.

Very very good game.
Glad you gave it a chance. Yeah, they could have done more with the characters, but I'm glad there's no typical video game story getting in the way of the amazing gameplay.

It does a good job keeping you motivated by feeling like a wasteland badass. And the amazing visuals don't hurt either...

WrikaWrek said:
The game has completely won me over. Up close it still looks subpar, but overall the game is beautiful once you get further in.

Also this is without a doubt the best FPS I played this year. It's a shame the game doesn't have characters worth talking about, or a decent story. But the combat is just there.

Very very good game.

Man, IIRC you were quite down on it a little while ago. Good to read, not as a case for validation of others' opinions, but just for the journey itself from "meh" to "awesome".

highrider

Banned
So far, this and Reach are the best first-person shooters I've played in this generation.

a man of taste. i would put resistance 3 up there as well. i will log countless hours on all 3.

the thing i like so much about rage is that it is a videogame first. no pretense, just a cool premise and an environment built to highlight the gameplay. love it.

Yo Gotti

Banned
This game is nothing short of amazing, Dark Souls has been taking up most of my time lately but RAGE definitely deserves better. RAGE is probably the among the best looking, smoothest playing and sounding (console) FPS games this generation. From the way the enemies move to the draw distance with no drop in image quality, to the details on the gun and character models, facial animations. It's a gorgeous game.

Compare the image quality and framerate to anything Unreal engine and I think Rage is more impressive in motion. iD Tech 5 is going to do some damage next generation. Bet on it.

Yo Gotti said:
This game is nothing short of amazing, Dark Souls has been taking up most of my time lately but RAGE definitely deserves better. RAGE is probably the among the best looking, smoothest playing and sounding (console) FPS games this generation. From the way the enemies move to the draw distance with no drop in image quality, to the details on the gun and character models, facial animations. It's a gorgeous game.

Compare the image quality and framerate to anything Unreal engine and I think Rage is more impressive in motion. iD Tech 5 is going to do some damage next generation. Bet on it.

Yeah, this has really blown me away...especially the side mission on the job board where
you've got to protect a convoy coming in towards Wellspring from a sniper's nest
. The draw distance is immense, and no smearing or drop in fidelity at all. Terrific.

Vlodril

How do you fire missiles from the buggy. I got the second one (caprino? ) and it says press wheel down on the mouse to change between weapons but nothing happens.

eshwaaz

Love the feel of combat, love the atmosphere, love the 60 fps, but only "like" the game overall. There's just something about the general pacing and design that feels mundane and a bit soulless, somehow. It's a good game, to be sure, but it's just not fully drawing me in.

Also, the larger enemies that charge at you seem to be begging for a dodge maneuver, but there is none. Are you guys just sprinting out of the way?

cyen

Vlodril said:
How do you fire missiles from the buggy. I got the second one (caprino? ) and it says press wheel down on the mouse to change between weapons but nothing happens.

Just scrool the mouse wheel ;)

CoilShot

Im really enjoying the game on ps3 on nightmare difficulty, but sadly I know it will end sooner or later. Any word on plans for the DLC? I noticed on the back of the box it says "add on content."

StuBurns

Banned
The more I play of this the more I'm enjoying it. Despite a couple of questionable design decisions, I think it's really strong. Something JRPGs figured out long ago was that when designed well a dungeon is too intense to be maintained for the length of a game, the player needs down time or it becomes too taxing to be really enjoyed, I think this is the first shooter I've played that really tried to address that issue. The 'levels' themselves are a lot of fun, but eight hours of that would be make for a truly awful experience. I actually wish the hub had even less going on, so I'd feel more encouraged to explore, so far I haven't done that at all. Out of the twelve levels listed in the trophies, I've done seven, and I really don't feel like I've scratched the surface of the game yet, and I haven't gone to a second town either.

Despite the many comparisons, I do think some sort of gaming holy grail is in Bethesda's grasp, a FO4 with combat and level instances like this would be edging on the best game ever if done correctly. It's odd, there's no other game that looks more like this than FO3 that I know of.

Despite the initial impressions being quite negative for me, this is a legitimately good game, after Doom 3 that's pretty surprising.

msv

Hmm, I'm really not trusting
the resistance
. No reason given for why they're fighting
the authority
, and now they want
my ID thingy
. Is it possible to
join the authority instead of the resistance
?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Man, IIRC you were quite down on it a little while ago. Good to read, not as a case for validation of others' opinions, but just for the journey itself from "meh" to "awesome".

It's a great game. Anybody who likes shooters, this is worth your dollar.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
voltron said:
RAGE desperately needs a stealthy cover type move like what was in Deus Ex (and many games these days).

Anyone else agree?

I'm not sure what type of cover Deus EX has..but if its a sticky cover..then god no.
I hate sticky cover systems,they look cool in 3rd person games but ruin the fluidity and flow of movement.
I much prefer just using the objects in the environment as cover and crouching.
I could see adding in lean left and right for shooting around edges a bit ..

Fletcher

Yeah. I'm really enjoying this game so far. It has all these elements that are just hitting right. The card game, the driving is fun (i'm so happy the guns lock on, or else it would piss me off), the shooting is fun, and the graphics are amazing. I also really like the light rpg elements. Really surprised with how much I'm enjoying this game. I wish I would have bought this one and rented Gears 3.

Solo

Just finished Dead City Streets. Am I remembering wrong, or were people complaining about the visuals here? If so, the fuck?! Its a fantastic environment, just like the rest of the environments in the game.

The Witcher 2 and Rage have both shown this year how inarguably superior handcrafted and uniquely textured environments are to pre-fabs and repeated textures all over the place.

God, I want to like this game but the more I play it the less I do. The combat is fun but the driving to and from to talk to this guy and drop that off, extremely tiresome.

Gvaz

Banned
push_gtapjx9q.jpg

Yeah, about that "expansive world" bit

Solo said:
Just finished Dead City Streets. Am I remembering wrong, or were people complaining about the visuals here? If so, the fuck?! Its a fantastic environment, just like the rest of the environments in the game.

The Witcher 2 and Rage have both shown this year how inarguably superior handcrafted and uniquely textured environments are to pre-fabs and repeated textures all over the place.
lots of the background buildings have low res textures. i just finished it myself... but all in all, yes, it is a fanastic environment. the level design continues to shine.

Gvaz said:
push_gtapjx9q.jpg

Yeah, about that "expansive world" bit
not sure what your problem is with that term. the world is expansive. go walk from one end of the wasteland to the other.

expansive just means 'large'. i can't see any complaints there even if other games are larger.

TedNindo

I don't get all the people complaining about this game.
It runs and looks great on my 4890 and its gunplay is up there with the best I have ever played. Its been years since I've played a shooter that just felt this good. I love it.
Are people expecting an RPG or something? If you expect and ID shooter with a more open world and less linear then they have made before then that is exactly what you are getting.
And also WOW at the production values.

Derrick01

Banned
msv said:
Hmm, I'm really not trusting
the resistance
. No reason given for why they're fighting
the authority
, and now they want
my ID thingy
. Is it possible to
join the authority instead of the resistance
?

No. It's not a RPG.

By the time you finish it you'll at least kind of know why the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good. They don't put a big emphasis on the story here.

Gvaz

Banned
plagiarize said:
not sure what your problem is with that term. the world is expansive. go walk from one end of the wasteland to the other.

expansive just means 'large'. i can't see any complaints there even if other games are larger.

I'm not talking about a literal definition, but the implied meaning. Saying your game has an expansive world generally is accepted to mean it's got an open world...a large area to travel in between hubs is not expansive at all.

How far in the game is Dead City?

DaBuddaDa

Gvaz said:
I'm not talking about a literal definition, but the implied meaning. Saying your game has an expansive world generally is accepted to mean it's got an open world...a large area to travel in between hubs is not expansive at all.
I would describe Super Metroid's world expansive. I'd describe Crysis as expansive. Neither of those are open world games.

Gvaz said:

How far in the game is Dead City?
i don't remember this consensus ever being reached.

of course a large area to travel between hubs is expansive. that's literally what it means. your failure to understand what Rage was before you played it is really something you need to let go.

Gvaz

Banned
I would personally call an open world expansive, things like Just Cause 2, or Oblivion/Morrowind, or Fallout 3/NV, or any sandbox game ever actually. I'd call Xenoblade expansive.

I mean I don't hate the game, but I don't personally think it's accurate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it! Why do Lock Grinders show up with the $ symbol in the sell screen?

Solo

Goddamn, stroke of brilliance whoever came up with the idea to put the sound of a motor starting up to match the "press enter" screen. Makes me smile every time I boot up the game.

fizzelopeguss said:
+cvaradd g_aimassist_disable_all "1"

Try that, iirc you add it to a shortcut.

360 version =/

Man the combat in this is so fucking amazing when you're not fighting mutants that just charge you and eat bullets.
When you fighting other humans, it's such a blast with all the options at your disposal. (^____^)

I did check out Normal though and indeed, enemies do just take more damage/output more on higher difficulties.

AgentOtaku said:
360 version =/

Man the combat in this is so fucking amazing when you're not fighting mutants that just charge you and eat bullets.
When you fighting other humans, it's such a blast with all the options at your disposal. (^____^)

I did check out Normal though and indeed, enemies do just take more damage/output more on higher difficulties.

Personally, I thought the mutants were great too. They way they traverse the environments makes them pretty unpredictable when they swarm on you. That part in the
subway level, when the giant mutant busts in and you have to dodge his cannon fire while also trying to kill him and deal with the other mutants coming in
might have been my favorite section so far. Some of the encounter design in this game is really fantastic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
rosaceadude2112 said:
Personally, I thought the mutants were great too. They way they traverse the environments makes them pretty unpredictable when they swarm on you. That part in the
subway level, when the giant mutant busts in and you have to dodge his cannon fire while also trying to kill him and deal with the other mutants coming in
might have been my favorite section so far. Some of the encounter design in this game is really fantastic.

That section wasn't quite as overwhelming as I had thought it would be. When the larger enemy makes his entrance and the entourage of lower-tier mutants flank you, I was expecting such an approach for the entire fight. Instead, once you destroy approximately two dozen of the lesser enemies they cease to appear and you're left with the "boss" (I encase the title in quotes because he didn't seem to possess the requisite toughness).

AgentOtaku said:
360 version =/

I think the mutants are awesome on pc, i can understand why you'd not like fighting them with a pad though. Perhaps gamepad play is where the robot and turrets really come into their own.

-PXG-

Fine.

I just got hired for a new job. Once I get my first paycheck, I'm gonna buy this puppy.

I was gonna wait for a sale, but this looks like a lot of fun. Better be worth $60.

fizzelopeguss said:
I think the mutants are awesome on pc, i can understand why you'd not like fighting them with a pad though. Perhaps gamepad play is where the robot and turrets really come into their own.
spider bots are your best friends, however you play. i love pooping one out and then trying to keep it alive for as long as possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
plagiarize said:
spider bots are your best friends, however you play. i love pooping one out and then trying to keep it alive for as long as possible.

I constructed a Spider Bot to guard the immediate yet out-of-sight area during the mission where (Subway Town)
you have to guard the distillery as the machine concocts the brew
and the fella managed to survive the entire ordeal. I've never felt so proud!

Edit: I feel compelled to also mention that he felled far more enemies than myself.

fizzelopeguss said:

This is it really right here. I also don't think I would have a problem with them with KB/Mouse. At this point, they're about as fun to fight as Skags =/

Good point though 'bout the turrets. Will employ that tactic alot more with rushing enemies.

Gotta love the variety Rage offers though!
At this point, it's probably id's best game when you remove the classic status. I mean, they fall into a very weird place as their catalog is so far reaching, it's kinda hard to compare each of them with each other.

Fixed1979 said:
I'm about 6 hours in and I figured I'd stop in here to say exactly this.

I'd say the combat is good. The actual shooting I'd still give to Killzone2.

Top Bottom