• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I'm very much on the fence at the moment, there's just one thing I want to know; is the Anarchy edition worth it?

Anyone? I know what the Anarchy edition contains, I just wanna know if it's worth an extra ~10 bucks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
About how long is disc 2?

Well, leaving Wellspring marks the halfway point, more or less. I assume disc 2 equates to Subway Town and its surrounding wasteland, in which case just add another x hours (where x is equal to the amount of hours spent with disc 1).

Edit: Clarity.

well I figured out how to enable the dev console (add '+set com_allowconsole 1' to the shortcut)

unfortunately none of the old id game codes seem to work ('noclip' at least does nothing)

is there a list of console commands anywhere?

Wallach

NIN90 said:
The mouse feels like shit in the menues.

+cvaradd m_menu_sensitivity -0.2

Add that to your launch options in Steam. It won't fix the berserk accel but it will make it a lot more tolerable.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Well, leaving Wellspring marks the halfway point, more or less. I assume disc 2 equates to Subway Town and its surrounding wasteland, in which case just add another x hours (where x is equal to the amount of hours spent with disc 1).

Edit: Clarity.
Does it? Based on the trophies it says it's past level 8 of 12. Two thirds thru no?

JaseC

StuBurns said:
Does it? Based on the trophies it says it's past level 8 of 12. Two thirds thru no?

I've no idea. I own the PC version. :p But given the fact the game is three discs and one is reserved for MP, it stands to reason that the remaining discs each house one hub.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
I've no idea. I own the PC version. :p
Yeah, but the level distribution isn't any different. Is there not only four levels in the second hub area?

JaseC said:
But given the fact the game is three discs and one is reserved for MP, it stands to reason that the remaining discs each house one hub.
Now I'm crazy confused.

I'm playing on PS3, but I thought it was:
Disc One, Wellspring hub, 8 levels
Disc Two, Subway hub, 4 levels
Disc Three, MP only, no hub

JaseC

StuBurns said:
Yeah, but the level distribution isn't any different. Is there not only four levels in the second hub area?

Well, there's the town, the power plant, the Authority area, (Edit 2: the Gearhead Vault, which initially failed to come to mind because it's directly connected to the town), and the Jackal area, if my cursory reading of the card locations is any indication (I myself just reached Jackal Canyon).

Edit: Delineation.

StuBurns said:
Now I'm crazy confused.

I'm playing on PS3, but I thought it was:
Disc One, Wellspring hub, 8 levels
Disc Two, Subway hub, 4 levels
Disc Three, MP only, no hub

That's essentially what I said.

Edit: Blah, I forgot to mention that the "three discs" comment was in relation to the X360 version in particular. I suppose, though, it's implied by virtue of the fact the X360 version is the only version of the game that spans 3 discs.

Gvaz

Banned
If I just left dead city, how far in the game is that?

I only have 12 feltrite, where can I find more?

Also that big rocket boss sucked, if you didn't shoot at exactly the right second, your rockets go through the model because his hitbox disappears :(

MrBig

Gvaz said:

Also that big rocket boss sucked, if you didn't shoot at exactly the right second, your rockets go through the model because his hitbox disappears :(
That's like a quarter of the way through. Maybe less.

There has been no use for Felrite for me.

JaseC

Gvaz said:

1/3-ish.

eek5

pakkit said:
Is there New Game+? I'd love to go through the earlier missions with a full arsenal.
Doesn't look like it. I wish there was a level select or something at least after you finished the game so you could go back and find stuff you missed or just replay some of the more fun levels. :/

Gvaz said:

Occasionally when you're driving around you'll enter these meteor shower races where you drive around and collect feltrite meteors. They're also littered around in levels.

MrBig said:
There has been no use for Felrite for me.

One of the guy s in Wellspring bar will upgrade your defib for 20 feltrites.

Derrick01

Banned
Gvaz said:

Well when you reach the 2nd hub town I would say you're about 60% done so for you, probably 30-40% is a good estimate.

There's plenty of feltrite by just exploring but later on as you're driving some will fall down in a random event, kind of like how all of a sudden you'll have a task to kill 4 bandit cars for bonus money. I ran into a few of those and probably picked up 15-20 total just from those.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm an hour and a half into this and think it's brilliant.

The shooting is just amazing.. there's such a punch to using every weapon in the game, particularly the shotgun but even the basic pistol's feel awesome.

I'm getting the same vibe from this as I did from Bulletstorm. The same all in sense of fun and pure brilliance in the shooting and just the joy of playing it. My two favourite shooters of 2011 by far.

JaseC

eek5 said:
One of the guy s in Wellspring bar will upgrade your defib for 20 feltrites.

Isn't that precluded if the upgrade is offered by the... recluse Russian doctor bloke? I received the upgrade, from him, as part of what I assumed was a typical progression of the story, and I've not yet encountered the opportunity to part with my reserves of Feltrite.

eek5

My advice to people still playing now is to use all your special ammo while you can. I was hoarding all that shit and the game ended before I ever used any of it. :lol

Mouse + Keyboard + Shotgun + 20 bandits = me feeling like a monster.

Seriously this game has the best shotgun I have ever used in any game. It is so satisfying everything from the crunch of the gunfire to the amazing animations enemies perform after being blasted mid jump.

DaBuddaDa

eek5 said:
My advice to people still playing now is to use all your special ammo while you can. I was hoarding all that shit and the game ended before I ever used any of it. :lol
Classic JRPG hoarding syndrome. I'm so guilty of this in every game.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
just finished blowing 3 explosive bunkers in shroud area.. just fantastic! There's just such a great feel to id's gun-play.I'm really enjoying the hub design as oppose to the traditional endless level after level design of old id games..It think its a step in the right direction.

I think I've got 2 new jobs on the jobboard left then its onto deadcity. I've done every race/sidequest I can and am about 8hrs in..from sounds of it I'll be one of those 15 to 20hr players since I love exploring every nook and crevice.

JaseC

bloodydrake said:
just finished blowing 3 explosive bunkers in shroud area.. just fantastic! There's just such a great feel to id's gun-play.I'm really enjoying the hub design as oppose to the traditional endless level after level design of old id games..It think its a step in the right direction.

I think I've got 2 new jobs on the jobboard left then its onto deadcity. I've done every race/sidequest I can and am about 8hrs in..from sounds of it I'll be one of those 15 to 20hr players since I love exploring every nook and crevice.

The dilapidation of the Shrouded Bunker is the first meaty mission of the game and oh so good.

eek5

gibon3z said:
Mouse + Keyboard + Shotgun + 20 bandits = me feeling like a monster.

Seriously this game has the best shotgun I have ever used in any game. It is so satisfying everything from the crunch of the gunfire to the amazing animations enemies perform after being blasted mid jump.
I started using my pop shots later in the game and you feel so ridiculous. Basically one shots everything :lol

Protip for PC players: use a 360 controller. Driving, switching ammo/items and dealing with the interface in general suddenly feels really good. It was clearly designed around it.

pakkit

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Classic JRPG hoarding syndrome. I'm so guilty of this in every game.
You get so much money in this game, it's great fun to go in armed to the teeth and clean up how you choose.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm quite poor in the game, I have three missions left, I'm almost at the six hour mark, and I'm really bumping up against money issues personally.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
I'm quite poor in the game, I have three missions left, I'm almost at the six hour mark, and I'm really bumping up against money issues personally.

When I entered Wellspring, I played the dice game and won around $1000. I seem to have broken the mini-game as I haven't won a game since.

Edit: I also tried my luck at Subway Town, but needless to say it was nowhere to be found (luck, that is, not the town... that would be odd.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just made it to the Authority Prison, and damn this part is a lot of fun. These are some really satisfying enemies to fight. So far the Ghost Hideout, the Wasted Garage and the Prison have easily been the most entertaining locations. The enemies in them actually react properly to getting blasted with a shotgun unlike the guys in the Well and Shrouded Bunker.

Wizman23

Banned
Can't stress enough to play this game like Halo (hip fire) rather then COD (iron sights). The only time I ever zoom is the very rare occasion with the sniper or the pistol with a fat mamma loaded to rock through someone's skull.

legbone

yeah, i'm having money issues also. i'm not very good at first person shooters so i think i'm having to buy more ammo than i should. is there anyway to grind money? do the sewers repopulate. that is the only place where i think there might be respawning enemies.

edit: oh shit i forgot about the dice game. guess i will try that or the card game.

Xander51

bluedeviltron said:
Protip for PC players: use a 360 controller. Driving, switching ammo/items and dealing with the interface in general suddenly feels really good. It was clearly designed around it.

I agree with this especially as far as the UI is concerned. It works phenomenally well on a controller, to the point where using keyboard keys seems a little awkward. Best quick select/radial menu ever, love that it uses both sticks.

Metal-Geo

legbone said:
yeah, i'm having money issues also. i'm not very good at first person shooters so i think i'm having to buy more ammo than i should. is there anyway to grind money? do the sewers repopulate. that is the only place where i think there might be respawning enemies.
Tried doing the jobs from the Jobs Board?

Wallach

bluedeviltron said:

I think the interface and the driving both benefit from a controller immensely. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the actual on-foot gameplay. I just swap as needed.

JaseC

legbone said:

Enemies of particular locations don't respawn. Your best bet, mini-games aside, would be the Mutant Bash TV arena.

eek5

legbone said:

edit: oh shit i forgot about the dice game. guess i will try that or the card game.
There is a vendor behind Janis? that sometimes sells stuff for cheaper than you can sell it back for :lol

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
For future reference, the locations of each wasteland are unique to the region.
Thanks, I'm nearly done, I think I can make it thru, I have lots of ammo in the weapons I don't use anyway.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
Thanks, I'm nearly done, I think I can make it thru, I have lots of ammo in the weapons I don't use anyway.

No worries. :) As for the bold, that's how you know you're playing an id game. :p

3chopl0x said:
Ok just bought for 25$, I will personally blame Salsa and JaseC if I don't like it C:

If your first kill with the shotgun does not see yourself overrun with glee, well, I won't know what to say.

Solo

3chopl0x said:
What's the average playtime for this game?

Well, I just finished Dead City and according to this thread that is like 30% into the game. And Ive sunk a good 10 hours at least into it already.

p3tran

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I can't think of a single game that has better feeling shooting than this.

back in the start of this console generation, in my mind I had a model of how "next gen shooters" would feel and play.

5 years later, here comes Rage.

well, better late than never :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, for everything but the shooting gameplay, the 360 pad is immensely better.

Solo

This game has lovely gibs, too. Nothing like blowing a mutant's head off, then doing a quick 180 and blowing another mutant's head off.

Top Bottom