• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
Well, I just finished Dead City and according to this thread that is like 30% into the game. And Ive sunk a good 10 hours at least into it already.
No way that's close to average though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
This game has lovely gibs, too. Nothing like blowing a mutant's head off, then doing a quick 180 and blowing another mutant's head off.

There isn't a game in the world that has more satisfying kills than any of id's own. Typically, "they just get it" is as pointless as using the word "pretentious" to describe anything disagreeable or personally threatening, but in this case the phrase describes the circumstance of Rage perfectly.

Echoplx

JaseC said:
If your first kill with the shotgun does not see yourself overrun with glee, well, I won't know what to say.
I fully expect excellent gunplay I was just worried about the other parts of the game.
Solo said:
Well, I just finished Dead City and according to this thread that is like 30% into the game. And Ive sunk a good 10 hours at least into it already.
Perfect, if I can get that much playtime it will be well worth the money.

Solo

Isn't that the truth. I am 100% on board for Doom 4. If they can take the frantic twitch gameplay of Mutant Bash TV and extrapolate that over and entire game and hordes of baddies at once, I will bow down.

MrBig

Solo said:
10 hours and you just got through Dead City
(the first time you go through it?)
Your play time is going to be way above normal.

Solo

Yes, I just got the defib upgrade. Ive been doing all the races and sidequests and just having fun exploring.

JaseC

3chopl0x said:
I fully expect excellent gunplay I was just worried about the other parts of the game.

The non-combat aspects of the game range from good to serviceable, but, believe me, the moment you engage in combat, you shouldn't care. The static world and caricature characters will not faze you one bit, for you will forever find yourself wanting to progress towards a point where you're presented with the opportunity to simply fuck shit up.

Reversed

I tried the 360 game in a store's booth, and as the character walked, I clearly noticed the textures popping-in. I assume the system didn't have the required installs, or that happens on consoles, too?

Solo

JaseC said:
The non-combat aspects of the game range from good to serviceable, but, believe me, the moment you engage in combat, you shouldn't care.

I would put the racing events above "good". Rally races >*

JaseC

Solo said:
I would put the racing events above "good". Rally races >*

I love the standard and weaponised races, for they're Carmageddon-esque, however I can't say I care for the alternative types.

Solo

Carmageddon is one of my favorite oldschool PC games ever. Goddamn did I love that game. Bashing cars and running down civilians was never as fun.

Solo

There are multiple tracks and multiple race types. Rally races are great fun. You need to get 50 points to win, which can be earned either by racing and hitting the checkpoints ahead of your competition, or by destroying your competition, or a mix of both.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
The driving itself is nice enough, but the race track was awful I thought. I only did two races.

Yeah, the tracks are decidedly uninspired.

Solo said:
There are multiple tracks and multiple race types. Rally races are great fun. You need to get 50 points to win, which can be earned either by racing and hitting the checkpoints ahead of your competition, or by destroying your competition, or a mix of both.

My only gripe with the rallies is that the ammo caches are too small in their reward. This is particularly bothersome in the Subway Town races, where you require 3 or 4 shots (6 or 8 rockets) to destroy an opposing vehicle, so as a per-vehicle average you need two pick-ups.

Just bought this on 360 and fired it up. I've been playing for maybe 20 minutes and oh man, I forgot how lovely 60fps can be in a shooter.

Question: I tend to like to play my shooters on the stealthy side, ie, creeping around and getting headshots. Is that even a somewhat feasible strategy in this game? I've noticed the enemies take quite a few bullets before dying- will I eventually get a one shot kill weapon, ie, sniper rifle?

I opted to try it out on hard. Mistake? I'm not a pro or anything, but I don't mind a challenge. I'm also playing Dark Souls these days so I'm used to retrying shit a few times before moving on. Guess I better remember to quick save....

MrBig

Whoompthereitis said:
Just bought this on 360 and fired it up. I've been playing for maybe 20 minutes and oh man, I forgot how lovely 60fps can be in a shooter.

Question: I tend to like to play my shooters on the stealthy side, ie, creeping around and getting headshots. Is that even a somewhat feasible strategy in this game? I've noticed the enemies take quite a few bullets before dying- will I eventually get a one shot kill weapon, ie, sniper rifle?
You get a sniper and a crossbow towards the beginning. The crossbow can be used without alerting enemies of your position. The lower level enemies can be killed with a single head or body shot.

JaseC

Whoompthereitis said:

I opted to try it out on hard. Mistake?
I'm not a pro or anything, but I don't mind a challenge. I'm also playing Dark Souls these days so I'm used to retrying shit a few times before moving on. Guess I better remember to quick save....

1) Not particularly. There are opportunities to be stealthy, but it's not exactly common. If you're after a first-person MGS in that regard, you're barking up the wrong tree.

2) If you're familiar with the Hard difficulty in modern games, Rage is no different.

StuBurns

Banned
While being unnoticed by the enemy is troublesome, sniping certainly isn't. I've been very sniper heavy. There are a couple of missions with the crazy moving mutants that are too quick for sniping on a pad, but otherwise you can do it almost all the time.

I enjoyed fighting the bandits and mutants. I'm in the
prison now, and I hate fighting a group of high armored enemies
now it just turned into a shooter for me. Maybe I'm just too fucking picky.

Square Triangle said:
Just means more use for
armor piercing rounds (AR and Authority spec), grenades (both types) and emp shotgun rounds. I love the sound bullets make raking into that armor.

Salsa

Im playing on Nightmare and the only regret i have is that i have nothing to go back to for a second playthrough :|, should have started on Hard to have another level of difficulty to look forward to, specially if they release that hi-res pack.

Derrick01

Banned
Aren't they making the textures a little better in the next patch? I'm pretty sure Carmack said in that Kotaku article they're putting an option for 8k textures. I mean it's not going to be the high res pack we want but it should help quite a bit, no?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Square Triangle said:

Really? I love fighting the Authority guys. The game really picked up for me when I got to the prison.

JaseC

Derrick01 said:
Aren't they making the textures a little better in the next patch? I'm pretty sure Carmack said in that Kotaku article they're putting an option for 8k textures. I mean it's not going to be the high res pack we want but it should help quite a bit, no?

The option already exists, only it has to be enabled by way of console commands/a custom config file. The upcoming patch, as it refers to texture size, will do nothing but make this option tangible to those unfamiliar with console fiddling.

Derrick01

Banned
JaseC said:
The option already exists, only it has to be enabled by way of a console commands/a custom config file. The upcoming patch, as it refers to the texture size, will do nothing but make this option tangible to those unfamiliar with console fiddling.

Right, like me! I can do it if I feel like putting the time in but I really prefer not to most often. I did it for Crysis 2 because of how few options they gave and how little a difference switching settings did but that was a hassle I'd rather not go through again. I hope they don't take too long with the patch but I already finished it so I can wait a while, I get bored of a game if I play it twice in a short time span.

JaseC

Derrick01 said:
Right, like me! I can do it if I feel like putting the time in but I really prefer not to most often. I did it for Crysis 2 because of how few options they gave and how little a difference switching settings did but that was a hassle I'd rather not go through again. I hope they don't take too long with the patch but I already finished it so I can wait a while, I get bored of a game if I play it twice in a short time span.

Bah, you caught my original post with the rogue 'a'. :( (Edit 2: 'a', not 's'. :/ It's 6AM, shh!)

Edit: Seeing as you've already finished the game, by the time you revisit it, theoretically all you should experience is the PC gaming equivalent of smooth sailing.

Peterthumpa

SalsaShark said:
Im playing on Nightmare and the only regret i have is that i have nothing to go back to for a second playthrough :|, should have started on Hard to have another level of difficulty to look forward to, specially if they release that hi-res pack.
Exactly what I'm doing. Always play games on a step above the highest difficult. Will give you double the play time.

JaseC

CyReN said:
Worst checkpoints ever, yea I know I should manually save but come on.

It's best to consider the relatively poor checkpoint system a tutorial in and of itself.

I had zero probs with the graphics or crashing on my pc (I know I'm in the minority). Just beat it here's what I thought

Good:

Trust me, when it works the graphics and art is great. Great character designs and detail in the environment.

The shooting feels solid and shooting levels are cool looking and fun.

Driving is pretty fun.

Bad:

The game is extremely, extremely short. I thought I was half way done and boom credits.

Side missions, and side jobs, their aren't many. Again this game is really short.

Final thoughts: Rage is not a bad game, its just a ok game, not worth sixty but at 30 or lower it's worth it.

StuBurns

Banned
CyReN said:
Worst checkpoints ever, yea I know I should manually save but come on.
Indeed, for all the talk of a 'console port', that specific decision feels like one made by people who've never played a console game.

Salsa

felipepl said:
Exactly what I'm doing. Always play games on a step above the highest difficult. Will give you double the play time.

oh well, i'll just do one 100 percent playthrough possibly. Not like my backlog is empty, lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just made it to Subway Town. Awesome looking place!

StuBurns said:
No way that's close to average though.
average or not, that's about what i'd put into it by that point. i've been doing all the side quests, all the races, and taking my time though. also, sometimes i play the meta game of 'try to find repeated textured'. pretty time consuming ;)

plagiarize said:
average or not, that's about what i'd put into it by that point. i've been doing all the side quests, all the races, and taking my time though.
Same here. Give me game options and I'll explore them. Whats the rush?

Solo

Just got to the return to Dead City. Clocked 12.5 hours so far. The prison mission was fucking awesome. Game just keeps getting better. I love how they handle it when you return to a "dungeon".

JaseC

Solo said:
Just got to the return to Dead City. Clocked 12.5 hours so far. The prison mission was fucking awesome. Game just keeps getting better. I love how they handle it when you return to a "dungeon".

Agreed. Obviously, there's a faint aura of familiarity, but the physical layout of the level is altered just enough to feel fresh.

CyReN

Beat the game.

After listening to G4 Feedback I didn't think the ending could be that bad, well the last level I should say, my god it sucked, really really sucked.

8/10

zlatko

Banned
I haven't had a game corrupt my save my entire life I don't think. First time for everything as I went to save here in RAGE and it got stuck on an infinite save loop, and after 10 minutes I was forced to quit and it deleted my file.

I'm lucky my auto save was a few minutes before the corruption, because I would have said fuck this game entirely if it was an hour+ of work lost. -.-

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WrikaWrek said:
Man, Dead City looks like I'm playing through a low bit rate streaming video.

Second time there hurts the eyes.

At least the second time there you are fighting more interesting enemies.

I gotta give it to id for putting out a patch so quickly. Nice to see that they are working on the game still.

I don't seem to have the V-Sync 'Smart' option. Nvidia cards only?

Top Bottom