• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Gravijah

zlatko said:
I haven't had a game corrupt my save my entire life I don't think. First time for everything as I went to save here in RAGE and it got stuck on an infinite save loop, and after 10 minutes I was forced to quit and it deleted my file.

I'm lucky my auto save was a few minutes before the corruption, because I would have said fuck this game entirely if it was an hour+ of work lost. -.-

always save onto a new slot, or your oldest save file.

Derrick01

Banned
Those may be the most detailed patch notes I've ever seen. They really took their time to explain everything. Seeing as I can already play with vsync on and everything else on I guess I'll try the texture size and see what happens.

Wallach

Solo said:
After 14 hours, I am now at Subway Town.

Will the patch fuck up the tweaks a lot of us have made?

You can take the tweaks out, the in-game settings cover the important ones. The only thing I am using now is the skipIntro cvar in the launch options.

Anyone else having problems with fraps and this game?
When I record the fps goes down from 60 to 15-20. I have an i7 2600k and can fraps Battlefield 3 with no problems.

I'm using an ATI card.

Wallach

Lazy Jones said:
Anyone else having problems with fraps and this game?
When I record the fps goes down from 60 to 15-20. I have an i7 2600k and can fraps Battlefield 3 with no problems.

I'm using an ATI card.

I think if you're recording to the same HDD the game is streaming from FRAPS will get fuckin' mauled.

Derrick01

Banned
Well I turned texture size to large and AF to high and I'm still getting 60 fps. I also kept triple buffering and vsync on through the nvidia panel since it was done already.

The game seems to look a little better but I really wanted to go back to Dead City and check it out as that would tell me just how much this worked but unfortunately the game doesn't let you back on your own time. You can still enter through the sewer under the overpass but you can't get out of that garage or whatever the starting area is.

Guess I'll have to start over to see.

Solo

2 things:

- its incredible how a mere 4 days after the near unplayable launch release, the game is now perfect. Texture pop-in, the biggest faux pas, is gone. Not almost gone, but GONE. Makes me feel bad for all those people who had adequate PCs but were short-sighted and jumped on the consoles releases due to the poor PC launch. Well, 4 days later and the PC version is the inarguable champ.
- okay, those of you who were saying Subway Town looked crappy are high as kites. Its every bit as visually stimulating and uniquely crafted as Wellspring was. There hasn't been a single environment in the game that hasn't been beautiful. Yes, there are some low res textures, but thats something we still currently have to live with. Hub is still artistically devine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
2 things:

- its incredible how a mere 4 days after the near unplayable launch release, the game is now perfect. Texture pop-in, the biggest faux pas, is gone. Not almost gone, but GONE. Makes me feel bad for all those people who had adequate PCs but were short-sighted and jumped on the consoles releases due to the poor PC launch. Well, 4 days later and the PC version is the inarguable champ.
- okay, those of you who were saying Subway Town looked crappy are high as kites. Its every bit as visually stimulating and uniquely crafted as Wellspring was. There hasn't been a single environment in the game that hasn't been beautiful. Yes, there are some low res textures, but thats something we still currently have to live with. Hub is still artistically devine.

I love the colour grading of the small cave area adjacent to the town entrance. It's a subtle but artistically divine touch.

derFeef

Love this game so far, just did the mutant bash tv challenge (3am, god I am tired).
The setting is awesome and everything seems believable. The characters are by far the non-shooting highlight of the game, so detailed and lovely animated. Shooting feels great and item management feels really "survival-ish". Also - Shotgun!

Gvaz

Banned
I realized last night what the animations for the characters makes me think of, Pixar. Same exaggerated movements.

derFeef

Gvaz said:
I realized last night what the animations for the characters makes me think of, Pixar. Same exaggerated movements.
Yep, that's why I love them. So expressional and over the top, really awesome.

Zefah said:
Really? I love fighting the Authority guys. The game really picked up for me when I got to the prison.

Yeah I felt the same way-it was like the mutants and bandits had trained me for that level. That's when I was able to definitely say that I loved the game.

Solo

Oh god, I just did the Blue Line Subway mission. THIS. IS. DOOM. 2011. Oh my lord, that was the most white knuckle, relentless assault I've had thrown at me by a game in years, and I fucking loved it. Game throws like 100 mutants at you just seconds after eachother, then throws one of those hulking super mutants at you. After you manage to take them all out, you go to the next room and BAM! Another 100 mutants and TWO Kraken at the same time. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Its saying a lot, but I think this might be id Software's best shooter they've ever done. They guns feel perfect, the gunplay is visceral, fast as hell (when you're getting swarmed by mutants from all sides and you are quickly twitching back and forth landing headshots with your shotty just moments before the mutant reaches you, the game is on a whole other level), and it all runs smooth as butter.

Love it!

JaseC

Every time I blast an enemy with the shotgun I lament the lack of deathmatch. :(

Horse Guy said:
Has there been any word on the in-game editor? I have tried to get it to load with "idStudio" in the console but no luck.

It will be released at a later date.

Solo said:
Oh god, I just did the Blue Line Subway mission. THIS. IS. DOOM. 2011. Oh my lord, that was the most white knuckle, relentless assault I've had thrown at me by a game in years, and I fucking loved it. Game throws like 100 mutants at you just seconds after eachother, then throws one of those hulking super mutants at you. After you manage to take them all out, you go to the next room and BAM! Another 100 mutants and TWO Kraken at the same time. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Its saying a lot, but I think this might be id Software's best shooter they've ever done. They guns feel perfect, the gunplay is visceral, fast as hell (when you're getting swarmed by mutants from all sides and you are quickly twitching back and forth landing headshots with your shotty just moments before the mutant reaches you, the game is on a whole other level), and it all runs smooth as butter.

Love it!

Similar to how Portal 2 is a culmination of what Valve has learned of everything that isn't shooting, Rage is a culmination of everything id has learned during their tenure as the premiere FPS developer.

Definity

16 hours and I'm finished. I did all missions with the exception of a couple of races. Also spent an hour or two with the card game. Combat did not get old. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Sure the ending was laughable but I seriously had some old school fps fun with this.

JaseC

Doom 4 is going to be so fucking amazing. At this juncture it's the only game next to Half-Life 3 that I am fervently anticipating.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
JaseC said:
Every time I blast an enemy with the shotgun I lament the lack of deathmatch. :(

It will be released at a later date.

Similar to how Portal 2 is a culmination of what Valve has learned of everything that isn't shooting, Rage is a culmination of everything id has learned during their tenure as the premiere FPS developer.

Ya know I'd take an old school DM mod that uses existing level sections not special arena levels..even 4 player would be alotta fun

JaseC

bloodydrake said:
Ya know I'd take an old school DM mod that uses existing level sections not special arena levels..even 4 player would be alotta fun

This game was born for deathmatch: awesome weapons, unparalleled combat, and 60fps.

Solo

JaseC said:
Doom 4 is going to be so fucking amazing. At this juncture it's the only game next to Half-Life 3 that I am fervently anticipating.

They basically could transplant the gunplay from Rage without touching ANYTHING, drop the vehicle sections/RPG-lite elements, and artistically move from a post apocalytic world to the bowels of hell, put deathmatch in and they'd have an excellent Doom 4.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, that train station mission was pure Doom! Awesome! This game has been getting better and better since the Prison level.

JaseC

Solo said:
They basically could transplant the gunplay from Rage without touching ANYTHING, drop the vehicle sections/RPG-lite elements, and artistically move from a post apocalytic world to the bowels of hell, put deathmatch in and they'd have an excellent Doom 4.

It's so simple, and I have faith that id agree.

Wallach

Lazy Jones said:
Works fine in Battlefield 3 though, 60 fps while frapsing. Same settings.

Yeah, that doesn't matter. BF3 isn't doing anything like virtual texturing, your CPU/HDD does not have the spare time to deal with FRAPS' shit if it's not writing to a different HDD than the one doing streaming work at the very least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So nothing to do with Feltrite, right? I have 37 now, and am on the second Subway Town mission. Should I just sell them?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
There is a sidequest where a dude asks you to collect 20. Did you do that already?

Nope, is that in Subway Town?

Solo

No, it was before. I can't recall who it was though, but it was from my time in Wellspring. I think it was a dude in Second Chance Bar.

JaseC

Do we have an idea of how robust id studio will be? More to the point, is there a possibility of a programming-inclined bunch creating a deathmatch component to the MP?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
No, it was before. I can't recall who it was though, but it was from my time in Wellspring. I think it was a dude in Second Chance Bar.

Hrmm, I guess I'll sell them then. Do you ever get a chance to go back to Wellspring?

JaseC

Zefah said:
Hrmm, I guess I'll sell them then. Do you ever get a chance to go back to Wellspring?

Nope. The Resistance leader makes this quite clear.

Edit: Holy shit, you can? How did I miss that. :eek:

Solo

Zefah said:

Now that I cannot say. In Subway Town, you are no longer in the Wasteland. You are in East Wasteland. So my gut feeling is that no, you cannot. But someone who has finished the game would be much more qualified to answer that than me.

zlatko

Banned
I'm finally in subway town since I made sure to do all the side quests and such on nightmare difficulty thus far.

How much more of the game am I looking at? Is this the halfway point now that I'm here or more than 2/3rds?

Twelve hours in and the hit reactions still impress and amuse me. Bandit rushes you, shoot him in the leg, watch him hobble a bit, shoot him in the face.

Twelve hours in and I find myself still using the weapons you earned at the very beginning of the game because of all the ammo types you can craft. Kill bursts, Fat Mommas, Dynamite Arrows, this shit is brilliant. It's so satisfying shooting an enemy with a dynamite arrow, watching him madly scramble into his compatriots only to gib them all. The sheer variety of weapons and ammunition combined with how enemies react to getting shot has made combat in this game endlessly entertaining for me.

Solo said:
Now that I cannot say. In Subway Town, you are no longer in the Wasteland. You are in East Wasteland. So my gut feeling is that no, you cannot. But someone who has finished the game would be much more qualified to answer that than me.

There's no going back.

JaseC

zlatko said:
I'm finally in subway town since I made sure to do all the side quests and such on nightmare difficulty thus far.

How much more of the game am I looking at? Is this the halfway point now that I'm here or more than 2/3rds?

Subway Town is the second and final hub of the game and depending on who you ask comprises the final 40-50% of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, why do these ragtag bandits with buckets on their head have to be such bullet sponges? It's kind of ridiculous that they take more damage to be taken down than the power armored Authority troops.

There's a way to go back? I could have swore that when you go to Subway Town you're asked if there's any unfinished business you want to attend to because you can't return. Damn, I should have paid more attention lol

JaseC

Zefah said:
Ugh, why do these ragtag bandits with buckets on their head have to be such bullet sponges? It's kind of ridiculous that they take more damage to be taken down than the power armored Authority troops.

Are you using armour piercing rounds? I wasn't and complained similarly. Instead of heeding the advice, I just shot the shit out of them with the shotgun. Works just as well if not better, I assume.

Definity

LastWindow said:
There's a way to go back? I could have swore that when you go to Subway Town you're asked if there's any unfinished business you want to attend to because you can't return. Damn, I should have paid more attention lol
Go back to the resistance base (under the garage in subway town, walk up to the car stall beside the exit door and an elevator will come up). Head back to the zeppelin that's off to the right tunnel. Dude will take you back and forth between wellspring and subway town as much as you want.

Definity said:
Go back to the resistance base (under the garage in subway town). Head back to the zepplin that's off to the right tunnel. Dude will take you back and forth between wellspring and subway town as much as you want.

Ah, thanks. I'll make to sure remember that when I play through again.

JaseC

Definity said:
I almost missed it too. Should have been called out a bit better.

In retrospect it seems obvious considering you travelled to the east via a Zeppelin, but as you imply there's little to suggest that you're able to travel back to the other hub.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
Are you using armour piercing rounds? I wasn't and complained similarly. Instead of heeding the advice, I just shot the shit out of them with the shotgun. Works just as well if not better, I assume.

I'll try that! It's just that it takes 3 or 4 shotgun blasts to take these ragtag looking dudes down when it only takes 2 to finish off a Authority troop. A bit of a disconnect.

Top Bottom