• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zefah said:
I'll try that! It's just that it takes 3 or 4 shotgun blasts to take these ragtag looking dudes down when it only takes 2 to finish off a Authority troop. A bit of a disconnect.

I can't say I took notice of how many shotgun blasts it took to down a Gearhead. In fact, I don't think I cared - the shotgun is just that awesome to use.

Edit: Come to think of it, 3 well-connected shots would be the ceiling. I'm playing on Hard, FWIW.

Grayman

JaseC said:
Do we have an idea of how robust id studio will be? More to the point, is there a possibility of a programming-inclined bunch creating a deathmatch component to the MP?
When interviews last stated there was no dedicated server code shipping. That might be enough of a stumbling block that it does not get worked on.

JaseC

Grayman said:
When interviews last stated there was no dedicated server code shipping. That might be enough of a stumbling block that it does not get worked on.

Boo. :(

Definity

I fell in love with the pop rockets and my combat shotgun. All the glory of an insta gib followed by a nice kick in the subwoofer and a cool kick back animation. Was glorious. I'm pretty sure GOD himself designed the audio for the double barrel shotgun.

JaseC

You know what Rage is sorely lacking? A railgun.

LastWindow said:
Yeah, I used the double barrel more than any other weapon. Except for the wingsticks, maybe.

I used the double-barrel shotgun by accident early into the game, and that's about it. I prefer the standard shotgun for it's classical feel.

Tadale

Need help.

After the power plant, how do I get back to the resistance leader? I've been searching through the town for quite a while.

JaseC said:
I used the double-barrel shotgun by accident early into the game, and that's about it. I prefer the standard shotgun for it's classical feel.

lol I kept running at enemies with the double barrel like I was a Scout from TF2. I don't know why, it was fun I guess.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Played some more today, and I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I've got some better weapons. Some of the enemies still seem to take one too many bullets to bring down though.

Also still amazed at how beautiful the game is.

Definity

I missed close to 15 or 20 cards for the card game on my play through. I thought I searched most of the levels pretty good too. Probably need to hit up a guide to find the rest.

JaseC

LastWindow said:
lol I kept running at enemies with the double barrel like I was a Scout from TF2. I don't know why, it was fun I guess.

It's okay, running blindly toward an enemy with the sole intention of blasting it in the face is your only purpose in an id game. Something so simple has never felt so good!

JaseC

Grayman said:
It probably does not make a DM mode impossible to mod but it might hold back some coders because it is not the best platform to do it on.

Ah, okay. Cheers. Time will tell, I suppose. :)

JaseC

I've only found one DLC sewer, and it's the obvious one near the Wellspring hub Ark site, guarded by a very unpersuasive man and his mute tent.

Derrick01

Banned
JaseC said:
I've only found one DLC sewer, and it's the obvious one near the Wellspring hub Ark site, guarded by a very unpersuasive man and his mute tent.

There's one near that 2nd small settlement in the beginning, right by that blue area on the minimap. I don't think I found any other ones though.

JaseC said:

"you don't wanna go down there, there's muties and shit and they might have extra loots!"

Yes yes, very nice, out of my way please i have gribblies to shoot.

JaseC

Derrick01 said:
There's one near that 2nd small settlement in the beginning, right by that blue area on the minimap. I don't think I found any other ones though.

I think we're referring to the same sewer. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say... the story setup in Subway Town is retarded.

This boss guy is taking a hard ass tone with me and ordering me to go into the Gearhead's powerplant, eliminate everyone, and then let his boys go in and secure it. If I don't do this, Subway Town is pretty much fucked for power, and he's straight up demanding it of. If I do it for him, he'll 'let' me do business in his town.

If I'm such a badass (which I am), why can't I just waste this fool and his gimp-ass 'boys', who can't even take down the Gearheads, and do what I please?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
You know what Rage is sorely lacking? A railgun.

A railgun would be awesome.

I agree that the standard shotgun just feels better. Besides, if you miss with the double barrel, you're screwed sitting there reloading. It's not a very practical weapon.

Zefah said:
I gotta say... the story setup in Subway Town is retarded.

This boss guy is taking a hard ass tone with me and ordering me to go into the Gearhead's powerplant, eliminate everyone, and then let his boys go in and secure it. If I don't do this, Subway Town is pretty much fucked for power, and he's straight up demanding it of. If I do it for him, he'll 'let' me do business in his town.

If I'm such a badass (which I am), why can't I just waste this fool and his gimp-ass 'boys', who can't even take down the Gearheads, and do what I please?

The "quest" or mission layout is essentially a straight lift from wellspring, that was really quite lazy of them.

Derrick01

Banned
JaseC said:
I think we're referring to the same sewer. :p

No there's the one you mentioned and then one by that settlement the old woman runs, the one that's like 2 minutes from the first settlement. Right by the first blue area you drive by there's a sewer entrance there.

JaseC

fizzelopeguss said:
"you don't wanna go down there, there's muties and shit and they might have extra loots!"

Yes yes, very nice, out of my way http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=31651479please i have gribblies to shoot.

Actually, it seems the bloke was persuasive! Just not in the way he intended.

As a slight aside, I still want id to stealth-patch in my Quake room/Shambler idea.

Derrick01 said:
No there's the one you mentioned and then one by that settlement the old woman runs, the one that's like 2 minutes from the first settlement. Right by the first blue area you drive by there's a sewer entrance there.

Ah, the Outriggers? I'll be sure to have a good look when I return to Wellspring. Cheers. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fizzelopeguss said:
The "quest" or mission layout is essentially a straight lift from wellspring, that was really quite lazy of them.

Lazy, indeed. At least in Wellspring the mayor and sheriff weren't assholes who were making demands of you and holding things back. I was fine helping them, but I just want to shoot this Subway Town idiot in the face.

Game could have used a huge mutie invasion of wellspring. Mounted machine guns, mutants climbing on top of their dead to get over the wall, massacre in the streets. And at the end you drive out of the city with a spinning dozer blade car upgrade like what ash has in army of darkness.

army-of-darkness.jpg

It's basically you clearing a path for civilians to escape carmageddon style.

aeolist

Banned
OK so I'm
in the middle of the jail breakout mission.

I've got the Resistance guy with me and I just finished killing a bunch of dudes in the middle of an open air courtyard with a turret on a balcony at one end. There's two of those laser gates blocking the way and I can't find a power thingy to EMP and shut them off. All of the doors on the lower part of the courtyard are locked.

Is this bugged or am I missing something obvious?

aeolist said:
OK so I'm
in the middle of the jail breakout mission.

I've got the Resistance guy with me and I just finished killing a bunch of dudes in the middle of an open air courtyard with a turret on a balcony at one end. There's two of those laser gates blocking the way and I can't find a power thingy to EMP and shut them off. All of the doors on the lower part of the courtyard are locked.

Is this bugged or am I missing something obvious?

The
forcefield generator is right by the turret your were using, to the left if you are looking at the turrent from gunner position

I am now at
subway town and just did the first major mission to blow up the blue line
and it was amazing!!! I totally felt like if i hadn't had my spider bot, turret and pop rockets that i would be fucked so hard, LOVE IT!!!! Also about the collector's cards
i know there is one in the guacamolito behind the closed fence, i am going to be able to go back and grab it right?! I couldn't find a way to open the fence and grab it :(

Mat C said:
I'm an hour and a half into this and think it's brilliant.

The shooting is just amazing.. there's such a punch to using every weapon in the game, particularly the shotgun but even the basic pistol's feel awesome.

I'm getting the same vibe from this as I did from Bulletstorm. The same all in sense of fun and pure brilliance in the shooting and just the joy of playing it. My two favourite shooters of 2011 by far.

I have yet to pick up Rage, but this is encouraging. I loved Bulletstorm because A) it was clearly a game that designed to be as FUN as possible and B) the shooting felt awesome

It seems that Rage meets these qualifications which means that I should love it.

Deadbeat

Banned
I love how the ending is a
15 second cg cutscene
. No satisfaction at all.

This game was all downhill after
Dead City with the boss fight of the giant mutant.

Question: The
Gearhead base
music was really awesome. Is there a youtube link to it anywhere? I want to listen to it again.

Whats the trick with that game where you try and miss your fingers with the knife? No joke I've tried over one hundred times and EVERY TIME I've stabbed myself.

Salsa

guess you saved me the disappointment, but you might still want to spoiler that
the ending is a 15s cutscene, for some reason i didnt wanna know that

CitizenCope said:
Whats the trick with that game where you try and miss your fingers with the knife? No joke I've tried over one hundred times and EVERY TIME I've stabbed myself.

Yeah, I've tried a few times and couldn't figure it out either.

wilflare

Square Triangle said:
FYI: Just got the email that RAGE is available for free if you're a Bethesda Insider(retail employees).

Bethesda really treats the employees well.
anyone tried out the new update? seems to address a number of PC issues!

Natiko

Banned
Just went on a deleting spree on my Xbox in order to free up room to install each disc as I go through (as well as install Dark Souls). Excited to give this a try.

eek5

Deadbeat said:
This game was all downhill after
Dead City with the boss fight of the giant mutant.

Really? I thought everything after
dead city
was really good. My favorite part of the game is probably the last 40% (minus the ending)

Mr_eX said:
This game might have the best gun play of the generation. It's so satisfying.
Yeah the gunplay is what impressed me the most about this game. The enemy AI makes the gunplay a ton of fun. I loved all the unique locations too.

I think my favorite enemies were in jackal canyon but there was only one level for them :/

Sean

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:

This is the biggest flaw of the game IMO. The artists clearly spent a lot of time creating extremely unique environments and characters but the game designer(s) repeat the same friggen few things over and over again.

Every new town you get introduced to the mayor that you take quests from, the races person, the garage/repair dude, the shop owner, the bartender who wants you to kill bandits, etc. They didn't even attempt one bit to switch things up just a little.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I beat it! That sure was a disappointing ending and final dungeon, all right. They didn't even give you an excuse to really use the shiny new weapon they gave you. No big final boss or cool encounter or anything. Just... over. :(

Steam says 14 hours, but my in-game time was around 9h 30m when I entered the final dungeon.

This game really seemed like it lacked focus. The shooting up dungeons part was a lot of fun, but the rest of the game felt really disjointed and a bit unnecessary in its current implementation.

Very fun action, but overall I'm coming away pretty disappointed RAGE, which I've looked forward to since its announcement. There's just too many bad or mediocre parts to it that drag down the core shooting experience, which is great. I hope they narrow their focus a lot for the sequel, but I can totally agree with the 6 and 7 scores this is getting. It's by all means above average in many areas, and worth playing if you like to shoot things, but the game is pretty damn bad in some areas.

Why the hell didn't they add a death match mode to this game, by the way? It seems perfect for it, and I'd love to mess around with the weapons in a PvP environment. Instead of spending so much time on all of the secondary stuff in the game, I personally would have preferred a more classic multiplayer experience. (I'm not really interested in the car combat multiplayer).

Just finished the game. Took about 10 hours on normal with a few side missions. Overall I had a lot of fun. 10 hour campaign felt long compared to some of the other shooters I've played this year. Seems most clock in around 4-5 hours now! Rage was a welcomed change.

Wallach

Just got to Wellspring. Fuck man, this game's shotgun is sublime. Between the combat shotgun and the double-barrel I am all up in peoples' business with buckshot right now.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Best shotguns since the first F.E.A.R.'s combat shotgun, I'd say.

Is there a way to temp. disable the UI? For screenshot purposes.

JaseC

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Best shotguns since the first F.E.A.R.'s combat shotgun, I'd say.

Is there a way to temp. disable the UI? For screenshot purposes.

image_screenshotquality 100 removes the HUD when taking screenshots using the in-game screenshot command.

Sean said:
This is the biggest flaw of the game IMO. The artists clearly spent a lot of time creating extremely unique environments and characters but the game designer(s) repeat the same friggen few things over and over again.

Every new town you get introduced to the mayor that you take quests from, the races person, the garage/repair dude, the shop owner, the bartender who wants you to kill bandits, etc. They didn't even attempt one bit to switch things up just a little.

That happens, but really, however it is that I get to the next shooting or driving level matters fairly little. The towns provide a good enough down time to gear me up for the next level, that's all I need them to do. Not that it would be bad if the quest distribution was more varied, but it's really doesn't affect what's important about the game, the levels.

Top Bottom