• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

StuBurns said:
I disagree. It looks awful on PS3.

but it looks amazing on 360

that doesnt have anything to do with megatextures but rather with how each system handles the game and how much you can install onto a hard drive/load from the disc.

it also doesnt look awful, ive seen it, and the only thing worse about it is that PS3 is the version that suffers more pop-in.

JaxJag

Banned
I know dozens of people have given their impressions of Rage, but I'll give mine as well.

The game is very forgettable.

The story is basically nonexistent, characters aren't memorable.

Game looks great, runs at 60 fps, gunplay is solid but not outstanding.

It's Borderlands without the co-op and personality.

StuBurns

Banned
It's subjective, but I think it looks really bad. I think MW2 looks significantly better for example. And they knock that shit out in two year stretches. Rage had a lot longer. Everyone talks about the 60fps, and it's indeed very nice, but I don't believe for a second they couldn't get comparable performance from a traditional engine given the time they've spent on the game, and that way it wouldn't be fugly too.

It looks worse than Doom 3 did to me.

Angry Fork

JaxJag said:
I know dozens of people have given their impressions of Rage, but I'll give mine as well.

Kidding, I haven't played the game yet (will once a deal comes around) but from all the videos/playthrough's I always got the same impression.

MrBig

Had a terrible physics glitch from running my Monarch into one of the shielded authority soldiers. Sent me flying like a Halo 1 warthog launch onto the outlying rocks

Click for larger.

Prodigal

Banned
Does Mutant Bash TV ever stop giving you quests? I completed the first set...came back later and did at least 3 more rounds but they seemed identical to each other. I wasn't sure if I should keep doing them to get some sort of closure.

JRW

JaxJag said:

Forgettable to me is Duke Nukem Forever, as I got closer to the end of the game I was just hoping it would be over soon because it was so terrible and boring, I don't have those feelings when playing Rage (currently 8 hours in and enjoying it).

Prodigal

Banned
Locke_211 said:
No, I think it's just to get a higher score and more money.

Ah okay, thanks. Anyone happen to know if the game auto-saves after you complete each Mutant Bash run-through? I was plastered last night and I think I alt+f4'd afterwards and fell asleep.

I just beat Rage and it has been by far the most enjoyable game I have played this year.

The gunplay just felt so solid the entire game. The weapons varied and the story has amazing potential.

I also loved the art direction and the sharp contrast between the wasteland and the authority.

Hope we get a Rage 2 , this time hopefully pc is the lead version though.

Gvaz

Banned
So subway town is 50% done the game? Isn't there only one city after this?

Also I cleaned out the sewers....only to go back to wellspring for it to tell me to go back to all the sewers and clean them out again

reaction.jpgblhj.png

Snkfanatic said:
Just went through Dead City....lol that place looked like a N64 game in most parts. Still having a blast with the game though. The gunplay and animation are amazing, I like the driving aspect too.

I'm not going to post N64 screenshots to be all SCREW YOU BUDDY, but, come on now: that's a stupid statement. It looked pretty damn stunning to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:

Also I cleaned out the sewers....only to go back to wellspring for it to tell me to go back to all the sewers and clean them out again

reaction.jpgblhj.png

There are five dungeon missions and one brief outside mission left once you get to Subway Town in terms of main story stuff. There are a few side quests, too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
4 dungeon missions I think.

Train station, Gearhead hideout (bank), Gearhead powerplant, Jackal hideout, Final area.

aeolist

Banned
StuBurns said:
It's subjective, but I think it looks really bad. I think MW2 looks significantly better for example. And they knock that shit out in two year stretches. Rage had a lot longer. Everyone talks about the 60fps, and it's indeed very nice, but I don't believe for a second they couldn't get comparable performance from a traditional engine given the time they've spent on the game, and that way it wouldn't be fugly too.

It looks worse than Doom 3 did to me.
Man what

OK Doom 3 looked great when it came out and with mods still holds up well today but really?

Really?

MrBig said:
Had a terrible physics glitch from running my Monarch into one of the shielded authority soldiers. Sent me flying like a Halo 1 warthog launch onto the outlying rocks

Click for larger.

Wow, that looks great.

nel e nel

Gvaz said:

reaction.jpgblhj.png

More like 70% done the game. There are only 4 or so job board quests, 30% fewer races and 1 or 2 NPC quests. And no more cities after Subway Town.

I agree with Adam Sessler's take on the ending: it's a pretty bad violation of gamer trust built up throughout the progression of the game. Alot of the NPC dialogue hints at the possibility of something greater, but it lands flat. Even being prepared for this eventuality going into the endgame didn't diminish the "Really? That's it?" feeling it left me with.

Have they announced any DLC plans for this at all?

Angry Fork

aeolist said:
Man what
OK Doom 3 looked great when it came out and with mods still holds up well today but really?

Really?
I think he means Doom 3 when it came out had a bigger impact visually than Rage does in 2011.

edit nevermind I guess he does think Doom 3 looks better now. I want to replay Doom 3 now I love the way the game looks. I don't know what it is the style/lighting etc. looks so different in a good way.

Pimpbaa

JaxJag said:

Borderlands is the most boring game of this generation. Rage is actually fun, gunplay and gameplay blows Borederlands away.

StuBurns

Banned
There are bit that looks Rage-ish. When you go out on to mars it has that same red/brown dusty look to it. It's darker, more like the second wasteland though.

Two things bothering me at the moment:

- Have I missed the map? Don't tell me there is none.

- Want to explore? Shoot down another three annoying Bandits cars that will respawn shortly. Takes the fun out of the exploration and is a waste of money for the repair costs.

And wth @ that Doom 3 comparison. The games look so totally different. Might as well compare COD4 to Forza 4.

That's a point: Is there anything to find at all when exploring? The game's design so far is leading me to believe there won't be. It's basically mission after mission with driving intermissions.

Also I'm pretty sure there is no map.

MrBig

DeadRockstar said:
That's a point: Is there anything to find at all when exploring? The game's design so far is leading me to believe there won't be. It's basically mission after mission with driving intermissions.

Also I'm pretty sure there is no map.
I found a random guy living in a house with a Doom 3 shirt on, and the polycount sawtooth face is on the Subway bartender, and there's the Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein rooms. Remember that this is a linear shooter, just because they used a hub system doesn't mean it's an Elder Scrolls style RPG where there is a huge overworld to go exploring in.

Metal-Geo

There's nothing to 'explore'. Only to scavenge. And the only places to scavenge are outside of enemy territories and within friendly territories.

Prodigal

Banned
Has anyone gotten the achievement for beating the knife minigame? I wanted to get all the achievements for this game but this one seems like a real bitch...

Echoplx

For anyone that's played Bound in Blood would that be a fair comparison for general game structure, linear levels with openish bits in between that have a few sidequests?

GeoramA

Prodigal said:
Has anyone gotten the achievement for beating the knife minigame? I wanted to get all the achievements for this game but this one seems like a real bitch...
I gave up on it. I hated it in Red Dead and in this it's even worse.

I love id so much.

Playing this makes me want to reinstall/playthrough DoomIII again.

Hands been cramping up with the 360 controller cause I've been playing so much lol

Asymmetrical sticks FTL =(

GeoramA said:
I gave up on it. I hated it in Red Dead and in this it's even worse.

I'm in the same boat. I get up to Lv.5 but my mind just turns to mush at that point

Prodigal

Banned
Yeah I've also been getting cravings to play Doom 3. Also never got around to check out its expansion so there's that too.

...I can't even get to level 4 in the knife game. :(

Bumhead

Banned
Yep, me too.

I not only want to play old id games again now, but I REALLY hope there's a very quick turn around on Doom 4/Rage 2/whatever the hell the next thing they want to work on..

Some developers just have a very distinct "feel". id are one of em.

Dina

I'm getting a 'This game is currently unavailable' error from steam when I try to boot Rage. How do I fix this?

Deadbeat

Banned
Solo said:
If its the trade-off for a buttery smooth 60 FPS at all times, then Carmack absolutely made the right decision.
But it wasn't. The whole point was to allow having the artists make the entire map's texture work unique. You don't have tessellated textures anywhere. Its just one giant texture that covers the whole map and its loaded accordingly.

StuBurns

Banned
Well not exactly, virtualized textures allow for completely unique texturing, but it also has a much small memory footprint, allowing more vram dedicated to fillrate.

It'd be ideal if they also decided to release the full texture quality version. I hope they do for Doom 4. Carmack has said they're going to fill a bluray next time, so hopefully the PC people will get a Doom 4 'HD' version which is optional, like Rage HD is on iPhone.

Hate to be negative here but the game is pretty soulless, gameplay is nice and the artistic direction is brilliant but I hated the rinse and repeat borderlands missions and this is so much like it it ain't funny, good thing I only rented it.

JRW

Snkfanatic said:
Just went through Dead City....lol that place looked like a N64 game in most parts. Still having a blast with the game though. The gunplay and animation are amazing, I like the driving aspect too.

I wasnt getting an N64 vibe playing through Dead City, at least with Large Texture cache enabled. (It does look pretty bad on Small)

Poab5.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
And it will have much higher resolution textures to offset that.
The resolution of the textures is fairly meaningless when they're compressed to this obnixious degree. The point of running at 30fps is for a richer simulation, not higher res textures. It can have considerably higher enemy counts for one.

For someone with a PC, I don't really understand why you care what the console version runs at.

Metal-Geo

JRW said:
I wasnt getting an N64 vibe playing through Dead City, at least with Large Texture cache enabled. (It does look pretty bad on Small)

http://i.imgur.com/Poab5.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
So lovely how id put Mixom all over the place in RAGE.

Top Bottom