• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Fixed1979

zlatko said:
Just completed it on nightmare. Was not my cup of tea and aside from the gunplay everything was just either mediocre or uninspiring.

I do want there to be a Rage 2, but only if they can make it 100X better and include real multiplayer, because with such interesting weapons and a sound focus on shooting, it boggles me why they didn't put their hat in the ring for some good old TDM MP.

I'm still trying to figure out why they put so much time and resources into the driving. I mean it's fun and serves a point to a certain extent but when I look back at Rage car combat won't be one of the first things that come to mind. The side races almost became an annoyance for me, although I did enjoy blowing shit up in the wastelands.

zlatko

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why they put so much time and resources into the driving. I mean it's fun and serves a point to a certain extent but when I look back at Rage car combat won't be one of the first things that come to mind. The side races almost became an annoyance for me, although I did enjoy blowing shit up in the wastelands.

It gets stale fast and doesn't have as much fun to give the player as the on foot combat.

Driving and its combat in this game is a poor mans Twisted Metal.

GrayFoxPL said:
Anyone else would like this to be a series of levels ala Quake?
That's what I'm hoping for in a new Doom. Combat, mood, and no focus on vehicles.

If the wasteland areas of Rage played more organically I'd think different, but it feels more like FarCry respawning enemy checkpoints, only without the exploration. If the vehicles had rally physics and the paths were more interesting and off-roadish that'd help too.

My fun comes from gaping at the combat, gaping at the gorgeous world and yeah, the in-game card game is probably the best minigame ever. Makes me actually give a shit about the collectibles in the game.

Gvaz

Banned
NullPointer said:
Yep. I consider this game to be id's Bioshock.
So....this is where id regresses and makes a game worse than their previous works? (System Shock 2)

I'm almost done but It's not terrible, just has quite a lot of blah design choices.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hypatia said:
Totally agree. I'm usually the first to complain about low res textures but in RAGE it really doesn't bother me much. The whole thing just coalesces into something completely naturalistic looking.

Honestly I've not played a game so intricately handcrafted and artistic. The closest I can think of is Metroid Prime because of how unique each room looks but RAGE completely and utterly surpasses it.

The trade off between resolution and variety is a big one but I think it's worth it.

Of course I'd still love a high-res pack...
Yes, that's actually a good comparison. It reminds me of Metroid Prime in how intricate and layered the scenery is. It feels as if every inch of the world was carefully hand crafted to look just right. No need for dynamic lights here when the pre-baked GI looks so damn wonderful. If you analyze the individual components of both Metroid Prime and Rage, you'll find plenty to complete about, but the overall result is just incredible. Even when wandering through tight indoor locales, I still feel it is absolutely beautiful.

Without a doubt, this is the best art design I've ever seen in an id game and definitely one of the best this generation.

Deadbeat said:
When you are very far away from any of the scenery then yes the game looks great. But you arent always very far away, especially when you are going through the railed sections of the game (which is the majority of the game).
I really don't agree. The indoor sections are just as lovely, I believe. Each room is handcrafted with just the right level of clutter and lighting. It looks like concept art much of the time, in fact.

So....this is where id regresses and makes a game worse than their previous works? (System Shock 2)

I'm almost done but It's not terrible, just has quite a lot of blah design choices.
While I loved Doom 3, Rage is a superior game in just about every way, I think. This is, without a doubt, the best single player experience id has delivered since the original Quake (which I always loved in single player).

I appreciate the fact that it offers a slice of freedom without becoming sandbox game while each mission you undertake occurs within a carefully design level space. It strikes a great balance between an open ended game and a more linear shooter.

Gvaz said:
By that I mean the environment itself is the main character and there is so much detail to the environments (not texture detail close up mind you, before you even start). It also has open world-ish elements, light RPG elements, mini-games, diversions and a fondness for fetch quests. Of course the gunplay here is miles beyond Bioshock, but there isn't really any modification of the environment to add tactical options, but there is all the weapon and ammo types.

This is also the Fallout 3 the shooter fan in me always wanted. As somebody who played Fallout 3 to rummage through derelict buildings and headshot stuff, this is perfection.

dark10x said:
The indoor sections are just as lovely, I believe. Each room is handcrafted with just the right level of clutter and lighting. It looks like concept art much of the time, in fact.
Gotta agree with this. Outside of a few standout low rez textures I don't notice it. Its all peripheral to what I'm actually doing. I do stop and smell the roses and explore every nook and cranny I can find and it never bothers me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GrayFoxPL said:
Anyone else would like this to be a series of levels ala Quake?
Car combat is shit, racing more so. I don't feel any Mad Max awesomeness in those aspects.
I don't know maybe id had a dream to make a car combat game, but yeah, leave that stuff to Jaffe, he knows this stuff and do what you know best - a shooting shit game.

I'm happy when a mission is actually a level where I can have fun with what the game does best, gun play and weapon variety.

Yeah, I really don't think anything would be lost if the vehicle stuff were removed. Just have town hubs and teleport to missions. Hell, I don't even think you need the towns to be hubs. They can just be places you go to in the course of your adventure. Something like how Half-Life 2 was structured would have worked better for this game, in my opinion.

nel e nel

Hypatia said:
Totally agree. I'm usually the first to complain about low res textures but in RAGE it really doesn't bother me much. The whole thing just coalesces into something completely naturalistic looking.

Honestly I've not played a game so intricately handcrafted and artistic. The closest I can think of is Metroid Prime because of how unique each room looks but RAGE completely and utterly surpasses it.

The trade off between resolution and variety is a big one but I think it's worth it.

Of course I'd still love a high-res pack...

I agree. I think that the beauty of Rage is that it looks great as you are just organically playing the game. It looks amazing in the mid-long distance range and if you are just zipping through the missions without stopping to smell the flowers. As soon as you stop to examine it under a microscope with a slide-rule it breaks down pretty quickly.

All the hype of 'best looking game EVAR!' leading up to the release didn't help much. That's basically a challenge to all the graphics whores who are trying to max out their pimped PCs. Graphics aren't everything. Personally, I thought Portal 2 looked better than Crysis 2.

Solo

dark10x said:
While I loved Doom 3, Rage is a superior game in just about every way, I think. This is, without a doubt, the best single player experience id has delivered since the original Quake (which I always loved in single player).

I'd go back to the very beginning - this is easily id's best single player experience since Doom.

dark10x

OK, I'm running through both versions (first on PS3 and then replaying on PC).

I'm just on the second main mission (the garage), but I cannot find a lock grinder. I don't recall having this trouble on PS3, but I simply do not have one nor do I have the schematics. Did I run into a bug here?

dark10x said:

I'm just on the second main mission (the garage), but I cannot find a lock grinder. I don't recall having this trouble on PS3, but I simply do not have one nor do I have the schematics. Did I run into a bug here?
You might be in the wrong place for your current mission - check your breadcrumbs on the map. As far as the lock goes you can always come back later. There's a locked door in the first hideout as well.

sparky2112 said:
Yeah, Mutant Bash TV is like a missing chapter of Bioshock...
I didn't day Bioshock, I said id's Bioshock.

Edit: On second thought it is like Bioshock.

Sean

Banned
Wow the ending is fucking terrible.
I stocked up on tons of ammo, was saving the BFG for an epic final encounter, was all excited to use my weapons on a huge boss or something. When the achievement popped up I thought it was a glitch since I was only like ten minutes into the mission and it wasn't at all hard or special. Such an abrupt ending, and then you get a shitty looking 10 second CG cutscene. Nothing after the credits either.

Whats even worse is that I can't seem to backtrack and go finish off the remaining races, because my only save is after accepting the final mission which locks that stuff off. Argh.

nel e nel

Sean said:
Wow the ending is fucking terrible.
I stocked up on tons of ammo, was saving the BFG for an epic final encounter, was all excited to use my weapons on a huge boss or something. When the achievement popped up I thought it was a glitch since I was only like ten minutes into the mission and it wasn't at all hard or special. Such an abrupt ending, and then you get a shitty looking 10 second CG cutscene. Nothing after the credits either.

Whats even worse is that I can't seem to backtrack and go finish off the remaining races, because my only save is after accepting the final mission which locks that stuff off. Argh.

Not to mention the LITERAL MONSTER CLOSETS

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nel e nel said:
Not to mention the LITERAL MONSTER CLOSETS

Hahaha.

The visual design of the last level was neat, but the actual gameplay therein was pure troll.

Wallach

dark10x said:

The second main mission isn't the garage, it's the radio tower outside.

dark10x

Wallach said:
The second main mission isn't the garage, it's the radio tower outside.
Ha ha, yeah, I was mistakenly doing things out of order due to having already played it and mis-remembering the next stop.

The enemy AI is great! Their animations and running patterns are awesome! It's the most fun I have had shooting enemies since Perfect Dark. Love the hit reactions!

MrBig

I just finished it. The ending
was basically "lol ok pre-order the sequel now"
and then black. I almost want my money back.

mr_nothin

Banned
Does anybody with the PC version have motion blur enabled? I cannot get it to enable for the life of me :/ HALP

IOnEI Falcon said:
The enemy AI is great! Their animations and running patterns are awesome! It's the most fun I have had shooting enemies since Perfect Dark. Love the hit reactions!
I'm not too far in and enemies are freakin scary. I'm playing on "Nightmare" 1st time through. It's tense even with just 1 enemy. Their animations make them so scary

jett

D-Member
mr_nothin said:
Does anybody with the PC version have motion blur enabled? I cannot get it to enable for the life of me :/ HALP

I'm not too far in and enemies are freakin scary. I'm playing on "Nightmare" 1st time through. It's tense even with just 1 enemy. Their animations make them so scary

Motion blur? wut? I'm pretty sure there's no motion blur in this game.

Wallach

Solo said:
I for one hope there is a sequel. Will be real curious to hear how this game sells.

Yeah, I definitely want more of this. I hope they don't ditch the vehicle stuff. They have plenty of other IPs to go to for pure FPS design.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I am just getting into this game, a few hours in, and F the critics. So far this game is absolutely awesome. Gameplay feels so good, the world and attention to detail is amazing. It's an action game, not an RPG, and as an action game it's made me an addict. The gunplay is so good I wish there was a proper multiplayer mode.

SalsaShark said:
If only this game wasnt about staring at walls to get points! ugh!

It's a first person shooter, not an isometric RPG or RTS. You're gonna spend most of your time invariably staring close up at something.

I personally think the driving in the game is a breakthrough, especially compared to its contemporaries. The closest relative in terms of quality would have to be squirrelling around in a Halo Warthog.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:
Yes, that's actually a good comparison. It reminds me of Metroid Prime in how intricate and layered the scenery is. It feels as if every inch of the world was carefully hand crafted to look just right. No need for dynamic lights here when the pre-baked GI looks so damn wonderful. If you analyze the individual components of both Metroid Prime and Rage, you'll find plenty to complete about, but the overall result is just incredible. Even when wandering through tight indoor locales, I still feel it is absolutely beautiful.

Without a doubt, this is the best art design I've ever seen in an id game and definitely one of the best this generation.

I really don't agree. The indoor sections are just as lovely, I believe. Each room is handcrafted with just the right level of clutter and lighting. It looks like concept art much of the time, in fact.

I appreciate the fact that it offers a slice of freedom without becoming sandbox game while each mission you undertake occurs within a carefully design level space. It strikes a great balance between an open ended game and a more linear shooter.

I 100% agree with this. I'm loving the game.

highrider

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
I personally think the driving in the game is a breakthrough, especially compared to its contemporaries. The closest relative in terms of quality would have to be squirrelling around in a Halo Warthog.

yeah, the driving is fun. it fits in the context of the game. perfect amount imo as well. just a diversion to break up the on foot action. i think as the game is replayed people will appreciate it more.

On PS3, why is the texture pop-in so horrible. I can literally turn in a circle and textures are poping into the surroundings. Is there something wrong with my PS3?

eek5

Solideliquid said:
On PS3, why is the texture pop-in so horrible. I can literally turn in a circle and textures are poping into the surroundings. Is there something wrong with my PS3?
That's normal. Stop turning in circles!

Doc Holliday said:
This game reminds me a lot of bioshock minus the story and with better enemies.

Way better combat too imo! It's a shame about the story; that would've really pushed it over the top for me.

zlatko

Banned
Solideliquid said:

Idk how bad it is on 360, but it's a fucking disaster on PS3. At no point was there not a jiggaton of texture pop in going on. I basically played in a giant oil painting the entire game. :/

eek5

zlatko said:
Idk how bad it is on 360, but it's a fucking disaster on PS3. At no point was there not a jiggaton of texture pop in going on. I basically played in a giant oil painting the entire game. :/
It's not bad at all on 360. You can force it if you really want to but it's easy to overlook when you're just playing the game.

Solo

Just got to Jackal Canyon. I feel like a broken record at this point, but my god the environments in this game are unparalleled. Despite all the praise id Software has gotten over the years for technical prowess, they just might have the most underrated art department out there. Absolutely incredible. Now if they ever release the high rez update to allow us to see the beautiful textures as the artist drew them, this game will cause eyegasms the likes of which have never been seen.

I think the most apt comment I've read about Rage was whoever said that it was like playing concept art. I could write 1000 words and never put it as perfectly as that.

MrBig

SeanR1221 said:
Played for 1.5 and I love it.

Is the game really only 8 hours?
8-16 depending on your play-style and pacing. Should have been 2-3 times as longer and had an actual ending for all the time they spent on it. id continuing their tech demo for a game trend. Love all of their games too much to let them go.

Top Bottom