• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
And it will have much higher resolution textures to offset that.

The reason Rage's textures are ass is because of disk space. Unless Doom 4 comes out on a double layer blu-ray I wouldn't expect much improvement in that department. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
Wait, what? Where did I mention the console version in this discussion?
Everything runs at 60fps on PC, so unless you're talking about the consoles, I don't understand what point you could have possibly been making.

Metal-Geo

jett said:
The reason Rage's textures are ass is because of disk space. Unless Doom 4 comes out on a double layer blu-ray I wouldn't expect much improvement in that department. :p
Unless Doom 4's areas are smaller?

StuBurns

Banned
It can't really be any smaller than the 'levels' of Rage, they're very small. Certainly if the game as a whole is smaller, and they dedicate twice the space to textures, you're going to see a substantial difference though.

The question really is if the PC version is going to see the PS3 version's textures assuming Carmack really does produce a 50GB build for PS3.

Beat the game yesterday. For my money Rage is easily the best game id has made in a good long while. Yeah there are a few caveats, you need a video card with a decent amount of vram (I have 1.5gb and experienced little to no mega-texture pop-in) or to not be an amd gpu (but at this point you should know what you're in for with OpenGL games or their driver support with some new releases), the game gets off to a slow start and the ending is probably the worst kind of sequel bait. That all said I think the core of the game, its combat, remained consistently entertaining throughout. Enemy hit reactions, the volume of weapons introduced, the gadgets, the exotic ammunition you could craft that made even the most pedestrian of weapons interesting and fun to use. The mega textures in general didn't bother or distract me, Rage looks fantastic in broad strokes and there's only a few instances where something up close looked bad enough that it distracted me while playing the game. I think if id follows through with the promise of the higher resolution texture pack patch combined with the exposed graphics options in the latest patch will resolve or alleviate most peoples complaints or issues.

Rage gets off to a slow start but I found the mission design picked up at Wellspring. That the highlights began with Dead City and the Shrouded clan/gang bunker. It wasn't just that the missions became more fun to play through, it's that the tools to complete became more absurd and enjoyable to play around with and the game didn't dictate what you could or could not use. You were just given access to this fun set of tools that kept expanding. It wasn't just that you were provideda lot of weapons, it's that the ammunition types kept the older weapons relevant. The pistol and double barreled shotgun were to of my most heavily used weapons, primarily because of ammunition you could craft for them late in the game.

I wish Rage ended on a stronger note, I mean it's fairly obvious any successful title is going to get a sequel, that doesn't mean that you can't have a better ending that actual resolves the first game. Still I enjoyed the single player campaign enough that I'll probably play through the game again on a higher difficulty using a guide or FAQ to help complete all of the side activities and discoveries I didn't manage to find in the first play through.

The Blue Line mission in Subway Town with its swarms of mutants, the visual design of the world in Capitol Prime and how satisfying the gunplay is give me great hope for Doom 4.

Gvaz

Banned
Solo said:
If its the trade-off for a buttery smooth 60 FPS at all times, then Carmack absolutely made the right decision.
*image of a dude barfing*

I don't mind low textures sometimes, but these are low textures MOST of the time. I'd rather have low fps than low textures cause it makes the game look like ass.

Stitch

Gold Member
JRW said:
I wasnt getting an N64 vibe playing through Dead City, at least with Large Texture cache enabled. (It does look pretty bad on Small)

http://i.imgur.com/Poab5.jpg

now go into a building and take some screenshots
gppf4.jpg

Started playing this today.

No problems with the tearing and pop-in so far, thanks to the tweaks and config.cfg, but I can't understand how this game is 21GB and has this kind of textures.

If the game is 10 hours long like some are saying, why the huge size?!

StuBurns

Banned
RoaringHawk said:
Started playing this today.

No problems with the tearing and pop-in so far, thanks to the tweaks and config.cfg, but I can't understand how this game is 21GB and has this kind of textures.

If the game is 10 hours long like some are saying, why the huge size?!
A normal game uses lots of small texture tiles that make up all the surfaces, Rage uses big ones, they take up a lot more space.

Gvaz

Banned
No, it's about the experience, the journey.

Like this for example, I'm sure this would have had a lot more impact if the textures were actually GOOD

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
StuBurns said:
I disagree. It looks awful on PS3.
I beg to differ. While playing, it is barely evident. It is most obvious while roaming the Wasteland map, but all of the other missions areas handle things much faster. I am using a faster HDD in my PS3, so perhaps that plays a role, but it's not bad at all.

On the flip side, my experience on the PC remains much worse. It's better now than it has been yet, but it still drops frames whenever new textures are loaded.

It can look great, though. The textures looks insane from a distance and you can really see how much variety is in there. There is no other game out there pushing this much surface variety.

79C67E0B9D3498F6629514CCF317AF105C1DF094

Even still, I think the game has a very coherent look. Even when textures appear somewhat blurry, there is still a sense of solidarity that is lacking in many FPS games. It's more about the scene as a whole rather than the individual surfaces.

9285D6617D2E3EA628441ABAE4B93AF851FB256D

It's definitely best from a distance, though.

91213CDF8BE2031E2570CF41D5F147B268590603

Just went through Dead City....lol that place looked like a N64 game in most parts.
You've got to be joking. I thought it looked absolutely wonderful.

Also, here's N64 rendered using an emulator. Yeah, looks just like Rage. :\

20239957.jpg

Fjordson

Okay, I'm missing something.

Doing I think the second Sheriff mission in Wellspring. I have to use RC Cars to get into the Shrouded Bunker. So I enter the bunker, kill a bunch of dudes in the first room, and now I'm stuck. Nowhere to go.

It says to use an RC Car to destroy bomb cache 1, and I remembered the sheriff giving me the materials to make them, or at least saying he did becase when I look it up in the engineering menu I don't actually have everything to make it.

dark10x

Gvaz said:
A lot of the textures in rage look like the ones on that wall, about 20-50% of them sooooo
No they do not. Certainly not from that distance.

No point in arguing, I suppose. I think it's one of the best looking FPS on any platform right. Looks a lot better to me than, say, the Battlefield 3 beta.

I'm so glad id broke away from tiled surfaces.

JB1981

dark10x said:
I beg to differ. While playing, it is barely evident. It is most obvious while roaming the Wasteland map, but all of the other missions areas handle things much faster. I am using a faster HDD in my PS3, so perhaps that plays a role, but it's not bad at all.

The DF comparison made the PS3 version really look and sound like ass. Would you recommend buying it? How often does the resolution drop?

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
I wasn't talking about the pop-in. I'm talking about it all looking like low poly objects, with ugly ass washed out textures in every single level. The only time the game looks any good is when you're in larger areas, specifically when driving because you can't see anything well enough to see how bad it all looks up close.

In fact for all the talk of the texture pop-in, it has never bothered me at all. It happens of course, and I can see it, but for whatever reason it's not an irritant. I hate object pop-in, like in Crysis where it feels more like the world is being made as you move thru it, that's very distracting, but I've seen none of that in Rage.

Gvaz

Banned
dark10x said:
No they do not. Certainly not from that distance.

No point in arguing, I suppose. I think it's one of the best looking FPS on any platform right. Looks a lot better to me than, say, the Battlefield 3 beta.

I'm so glad id broke away from tiled surfaces.
The BF games were never really amazing looking, and I wont argue that a lot of textures look good at a distance, but you're in a lot more situations where you don't have that huge draw distance, but a small draw distance. That's when the textures look pretty damn ugly.

MrBig

Fjordson said:
Okay, I'm missing something.

Doing I think the second Sheriff mission in Wellspring. I have to use RC Cars to get into the Shrouded Bunker. So I enter the bunker, kill a bunch of dudes in the first room, and now I'm stuck. Nowhere to go.

It says to use an RC Car to destroy bomb cache 1, and I remembered the sheriff giving me the materials to make them, or at least saying he did becase when I look it up in the engineering menu I don't actually have everything to make it.
You have to build some. At least 3 iirc. There are small gaps in some walls that you have to drive the car under and detonate next to some exploding barrels.

There are parts for building them littered all over the bunker.

dark10x

StuBurns said:
I wasn't talking about the pop-in. I'm talking about it all looking like low poly objects, with ugly ass washed out textures in every single level. The only time the game looks any good is when you're in larger areas, specifically when driving because you can't see anything well enough to see how bad it all looks up close.

In fact for all the talk of the texture pop-in, it has never bothered me at all. It happens of course, and I can see it, but for whatever reason it's not an irritant. I had object pop-in, like in Crysis where it feels more like the world is being made as you move thru it, that's very distracting, but I've seen none of that in Rage.
I have the PS3 and PC versions right here side by side. They look extremely close to one another (barring resolution) but the PS3 version runs smoother for me. I'm certainly not seeing any geometry sacrifices and the textures appear exactly the same across the board. If there are any differences, they are subtle and not going to jump out at you.

MNC

I don't get the megatextures thing. Is it supposed to be super high res textures, because I haven't seen any screenshot beating out games like (I think) ArmA II or BF3.

Fjordson

MrBig said:
You have to build some. At least 3 iirc. There are small gaps in some walls that you have to drive the car under and detonate next to some exploding barrels.
Shiat, so did I have to pick up supplies back in town? I didn't bother since the sheriff said he gave me everything to make them, but I'm somehow missing a few parts.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. Was looking to make them, but they're already crafted in your inventory.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
I have the PS3 and PC versions right here side by side. They look extremely close to one another (barring resolution) but the PS3 version runs smoother for me. I'm certainly not seeing any geometry sacrifices and the textures appear exactly the same across the board. If there are any differences, they are subtle and not going to jump out at you.
I don't know what you're talking about. The textures are the same, I didn't say they weren't.
MNC said:
I don't get the megatextures thing. Is it supposed to be super high res textures, because I haven't seen any screenshot beating out games like (I think) ArmA II or BF3.
They're 'mega' because they've very large, not because they're high quality. Imagine it like this, you're drawing a house, made up of a door, three windows and a thousand bricks, you could use the same brick print a thousand times, which saves a lot of room, because you draw it once, and it's just copy/pasted, so you only have to store it once, or you could draw all those individual bricks and have all those aspects in a single file. Because of that the file is massively larger, so they have to compress it, so the quality is lower, but it doesn't use repeated parts.

Metal-Geo

MNC said:
It's one huge mother fucking texture that's used for the terrain.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:

He's not saying the PS3 version looks ugly compared to the PC version. He's just saying Rage is ugly, period.

And it is fucking ugly. It only looks good in downsampled screenshots looking at terrain from far away.

dark10x

MNC said:
No, it allows texture variety in that the entire world is one giant texture. This prevents things like tiling (where you use one texture of, say, 512x512 and repeat it across a wall).

He's not saying the PS3 version looks ugly compared to the PC version. He's just saying Rage is ugly, period.

And it is fucking ugly. It only looks good in downsampled screenshots looking at terrain from far away.
I guess we're looking for different things. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. The scenery is all so intricately crafted in a way that I've never experienced. Absolutely love it.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Pop rockets in the double-barreled shotgun is really funny. For some reason I didn't think you'd be able to put alternate ammo types into that, but yeah. Huge, dumb grin on my face when I realized I could.

Deadbeat

Banned
dark10x said:
I guess we're looking for different things. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. The scenery is all so intricately crafted in a way that I've never experienced. Absolutely love it.
When you are very far away from any of the scenery then yes the game looks great. But you arent always very far away, especially when you are going through the railed sections of the game (which is the majority of the game).

Prodigal

Banned
So if I let my friend try out the game by having him start a new game, how can I make sure his auto-saves don't overwrite my saves?

Truant

Autosaves? Rage?

Anyway, something feels off with this game. I think a lot of content was cut. The later parts of the game seem so rushed. Also, the game-world is severly underused. So many cool places to LOOK AT, but nothing to really explore.

Salsa

Prodigal said:
So if I let my friend try out the game by having him start a new game, how can I make sure his auto-saves don't overwrite my saves?

Just make a hard save before quitting YOUR game?

also i guess you mean quicksaves?

MrBig

It autosaves when you open a door, travel, or do anything else that brings up a loading screen. There is no checkpoint system. As the game continually reminds you, saving is entirely the players job.
Pressing F5 every few minutes isn't the most difficult thing to remember.

Derrick01

Banned
dark10x said:

Hey look it's Dead City!

I jest, but seriously Dead City looks like a giant shit pile. That pic further up the page with the upgraded textures looks much better than what I got before the patch so I'm eager to get back there and see it.

Grayman

Prodigal said:
make yourself a manual save with the new saved game option. Unfortunately the trend of modern games not letting you type a file name has not been bucked so you end up with lots of saves named wellspring and wasteland but the game will not autosave over your manual one. Note the time of day that you made it to know which is yours.

GrayFoxPL

Fjordson said:
Shiat, so did I have to pick up supplies back in town? I didn't bother since the sheriff said he gave me everything to make them, but I'm somehow missing a few parts.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. Was looking to make them, but they're already crafted in your inventory.

Whole level is filled with rc cars or parts to build those. Fun shiet.

Indeed, Dead City looks like shit more than any other areas. Any guesses why?

This game feels like a super charged version of a game from the previous generation, not much of the advanced effects that make the rounds these days and very, very limited enviroment interaction.

But solid shooting nothing out of ordinary, but good. Lovely traditional animation for the enemies also.

Hypatia

dark10x said:
Even still, I think the game has a very coherent look. Even when textures appear somewhat blurry, there is still a sense of solidarity that is lacking in many FPS games. It's more about the scene as a whole rather than the individual surfaces.

Totally agree. I'm usually the first to complain about low res textures but in RAGE it really doesn't bother me much. The whole thing just coalesces into something completely naturalistic looking.

Honestly I've not played a game so intricately handcrafted and artistic. The closest I can think of is Metroid Prime because of how unique each room looks but RAGE completely and utterly surpasses it.

The trade off between resolution and variety is a big one but I think it's worth it.

Of course I'd still love a high-res pack...

zlatko

Banned
Just completed it on nightmare. Was not my cup of tea and aside from the gunplay everything was just either mediocre or uninspiring.

I do want there to be a Rage 2, but only if they can make it 100X better and include real multiplayer, because with such interesting weapons and a sound focus on shooting, it boggles me why they didn't put their hat in the ring for some good old TDM MP.

Fixed1979

Just finished it off. Overall a solid experience and I certainly don't regret the purchase. A few technical issues aside there's some intangible in iDs games that make putting bullets into an enemy really gratifying. The variety of weapons, enemies and level areas kept things from getting stale. There's enough mini-games to keep keep you distracted for a bit but nothing that really stood out.

I do wish I played through on Nightmare. I get easily frustrated and give up playing some shooters because of difficulty curves however it wasn't quite enough of a challenge on hard.

I was kind of hoping they'd allow you to take care of some races and side missions after the "end", I'll have to go back to an earlier save at some point and finish some of that shit off. I'm assuming that I can drive all the way back to the start at any time?

All that said, I am disappointed with the finish.
When I reached the credits the weapon that they gave me for the last mission was still full of ammo as I was waiting for "that moment" to bust it out, unfortunately it never arrived which was disappointing...and I'm wondering if they just ran out of money when doing the end video...seriously.

zlatko said:
Just completed it on nightmare. Was not my cup of tea and aside from the gunplay everything was just either mediocre or uninspiring.

I do want there to be a Rage 2, but only if they can make it 100X better and include real multiplayer, because with such interesting weapons and a sound focus on shooting, it boggles me why they didn't put their hat in the ring for some good old TDM MP.
Can we be smelling DLC? With the things we are seeing this day wouldn't surprise me.

Would be kind of funny a FPS in which the DLC is the deathmatch component.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone else would like this to be a series of levels ala Quake?
Car combat is shit, racing more so. I don't feel any Mad Max awesomeness in those aspects.
I don't know maybe id had a dream to make a car combat game, but yeah, leave that stuff to Jaffe, he knows this stuff and do what you know best - a shooting shit game.

I'm happy when a mission is actually a level where I can have fun with what the game does best, gun play and weapon variety.

Top Bottom