• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

SeanR1221 said:
Played for 1.5 and I love it.

Is the game really only 8 hours?
Maybe if you rush through the game. I've been playing for 12 hours and I just made it to Subway Town. I'm not sure how far that is into the game, but I've been doing everything.

GeoramA

zlatko said:
Idk how bad it is on 360, but it's a fucking disaster on PS3. At no point was there not a jiggaton of texture pop in going on. I basically played in a giant oil painting the entire game. :/
I only notice it a lot in Wellspring and it can be distracting. Everywhere else is tolerable for me.

Solo said:
Just got to Jackal Canyon. I feel like a broken record at this point, but my god the environments in this game are unparalleled. Despite all the praise id Software has gotten over the years for technical prowess, they just might have the most underrated art department out there. Absolutely incredible. Now if they ever release the high rez update to allow us to see the beautiful textures as the artist drew them, this game will cause eyegasms the likes of which have never been seen.

I think the most apt comment I've read about Rage was whoever said that it was like playing concept art. I could write 1000 words and never put it as perfectly as that.

I'd like to see the game running on id's renderfarms, the raw textures were probably all normal mapped (from what i can see only certain scenes in the cities and of course, characters have it), real time lighting and shadows, high dynamic range and HBAO.

So is the Outrigger settlement permanently locked down after you complete their mission early in the game? I need to get that Janus Outrigger card and their gate has been locked down for the majority of my playing experience so far. I'm about to go back to the Ark for the second time and I read that once you do that, you can't get that card anymore. So am I screwed, or is there a way in?

eek5

Doctor West said:
So is the Outrigger settlement permanently locked down after you complete their mission early in the game? I need to get that Janus Outrigger card and their gate has been locked down for the majority of my playing experience so far. I'm about to go back to the Ark for the second time and I read that once you do that, you can't get that card anymore. So am I screwed, or is there a way in?
This happens a lot. Usually you don't get a chance to go back.

I can't remember any more missions that involve the settlement so you're SOL.

eek5 said:
This happens a lot. Usually you don't get a chance to go back.

I can't remember any more missions that involve the settlement so you're SOL.
Damn, I've been able to get all the cards except for that one. All the stuff I've read online never said that you have to pick it up during that mission unlike the cards in The Well and The Prison. I guess there is some baaad intel out there. :(

Derrick01

Banned
SeanR1221 said:
Played for 1.5 and I love it.

Is the game really only 8 hours?

I finished it in 14 hours on normal. I had all the recipes, about 40 of the cards, 14 of the jumps, and I didn't do any of the bash TV stuff on my own time.

So I definitely got some mileage out of it.

Gvaz

Banned
I got like 16/18 of the jumps apparently (dunno where the other 2 are), got all the recipies, got like....65% of the cards....did most of the quests, all of the sewer stuffs, uhm got all the upgrades....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
zlatko said:
Idk how bad it is on 360, but it's a fucking disaster on PS3. At no point was there not a jiggaton of texture pop in going on. I basically played in a giant oil painting the entire game. :/

I am playing on the PC with 10 times better hardware and there is still pop in when I turn. Probably the only time I don't notice any pop in is when I am in a narrow corridor.

WTF is this shit.

Carnby

I think the ps3 version looks fine. I see the pop ins, but they are barely noticeable. The game recovers from the pop ins so quickly that unless I am specifically looking for them, I don't notice.

Loxley

Solideliquid said:
On PS3, why is the texture pop-in so horrible. I can literally turn in a circle and textures are poping into the surroundings. Is there something wrong with my PS3?

Digital Foundry summed up why the texture streaming is worse on the PS3 compared to the 360 in their face-off of the console versions:

Another element of image quality where there are plain differences between the two consoles is in terms of the texture streaming. To fully understand this, we need to have a bit of a refresher course on how id's virtual texturing works: in short, there are four levels here in the journey from storage to display: the optical drive, the hard drive cache, the memory cache and the on-screen texture. In a worst case scenario, the Xbox 360 will go through all four stages on every piece of art in the game. Installing the game to hard drive cuts out the optical disc completely and thus removes the slowest part of the procedure.

PlayStation 3 only gets a partial install - a weighty 7.1GB that takes around 20 minutes to complete - so some of the texture data is still being drawn from the Blu-ray (which in terms of all-important seek times is slower than the Xbox 360's DVD drive), and this does result in significant differences in the time it takes for the image to fully resolve. Running Rage on an Xbox 360 without the install, but with a hard drive attached for caching purposes, isn't quite as fast as the PS3 - but it's not a million miles away from the overall performance profile.

Out of interest, we ran some tests where we would continuously change direction 180 degrees in the exact same spot on the Xbox 360 with and without an install and then compared that with performance in the exact same spot on the PlayStation 3. Curiously, after repeating the process a couple of times, no matter how we ran Rage - even with no hard drive at all - the 360 would resolve prominent textures faster. In his mammoth Quakecon 2011 keynote, John Carmack talks about the fact that they max out onboard memory and that the split system/video RAM of PlayStation 3 in concert with the bulk of the OS caused some issues for them.

In terms of our experiment, the conclusion we have is that the 360 transcodes texture data faster, or it is able to cache more assets in RAM - either way, it's clear that there's more to individual performance characteristics than we know right now but id seems to be more at home with the Microsoft architecture. In terms of how this perhaps could influence gameplay, we're reminded of a couple of Wasteland missions where the player snipes at base guards from afar, ducking into and out of cover. On PS3, we witnessed some screen-filling texture pop-in as we hid behind a dune, which resolved much more quickly on 360.

TLDR: The PS3 version is pulling a lot of data directly off the blu-ray disc because of the partial-install, which is causing the textures to load slower compared to 360, which (in Carmack's words) is an "all or nothing" install.

So I want to try out this game - I don't care if it's Fallout/Borderlands lite - I just want a fun shooter with diverse environments, good level design and some inkling of exploration. If that's what I want - is the game a thumbs up? I've read some of the reviews and it seems people are hacking into this game because it doesn't offer the choices or level story interaction as let's say some of Bethesda's games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone know where you can find desert spore in the
second wasteland
?

lowhighkang_LHK said:
So I want to try out this game - I don't care if it's Fallout/Borderlands lite - I just want a fun shooter with diverse environments, good level design and some inkling of exploration. If that's what I want - is the game a thumbs up? I've read some of the reviews and it seems people are hacking into this game because it doesn't offer the choices or level story interaction as let's say some of Bethesda's games.
If you want good gunplay, fun environments, and varied enemies, go for it. The game is awesome.

bobbytkc said:
I am playing on the PC with 10 times better hardware and there is still pop in when I turn. Probably the only time I don't notice any pop in is when I am in a narrow corridor.

WTF is this shit.
Do you have 8k texture cache enabled?

JRW

dark10x said:
I beg to differ. While playing, it is barely evident. It is most obvious while roaming the Wasteland map, but all of the other missions areas handle things much faster. I am using a faster HDD in my PS3, so perhaps that plays a role, but it's not bad at all.

On the flip side, my experience on the PC remains much worse. It's better now than it has been yet, but it still drops frames whenever new textures are loaded.

It can look great, though. The textures looks insane from a distance and you can really see how much variety is in there. There is no other game out there pushing this much surface variety.

Thats a shame Its buttery smooth on my GTX 480 @ 1080p, I'm very sensitive to hitching / pauses / framerate drops and Rage maintains an absolute solid 60fps for me (9 hours of play so far) Hopefully they sort out the performance issues for AMD users .

Edit: I also recorded this w/ Fraps, 60fps XviD .AVI: Link

Peterthumpa

Is it just me or there's really nobody to play multiplayer races? Been standing in the lobby waiting for players for 5 minutes and nothing. Is the multiplayer that bad? I mean, the races against in the campaign against the bots are cool, why multiplayer wouldn't?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thirty said:
Does it bother anyone else that the clouds don't move?

Can't say I've taken notice of the static skybox. I mean, I know it's not dynamic, but it doesn't bother me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Loxley said:
Digital Foundry summed up why the texture streaming is worse on the PS3 compared to the 360 in their face-off of the console versions:

TLDR: The PS3 version is pulling a lot of data directly off the blu-ray disc because of the partial-install, which is causing the textures to load slower compared to 360, which (in Carmack's words) is an "all or nothing" install.

Errr it also says even with no install at all on 360, it still goes faster than PS3. So that's not why.

thirty said:
Doesn't bother me but I'd still kill to see em move. Same as the low resolution textures. I don't mind them but I'd still like to see the game in it's full glory all the same.

Grayman

thirty said:
I have only looked directly at the sky once or twice. Once it looked very pretty and once it looked very compressed. Quake 3 had tiled shaders of very active torrents of hell clouds. Maybe that did not look good if it was slowed down and larger. Doing volumetric clouds was probably not an option with the consoles limitations of Rage. The game has nice looking pea soup steam in a few spots but they are out of action areas.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
God, I can't stop loving this game. The level of polishing is absurd, I'm not used anymore to games released so perfectly outside of Blizzard and few other developers. And not just this, the game is top notch from the start, progressing continuously and growing better hour after hour. What a crude intense arcade experience this is. I'm in love with fps' again, the formula so long forgotten has been resurrected, polished, expanded, got better through years of experience for iD. This is a true FPS with guts. It's SO funny to play and beautiful to watch. Also, I can't go back to 30fps, it doesn't feel right anymore.

thirty

Banned
I'm having fun with it too. Wasn't planning on buying but I've been following here and there. Loving that you can take a slower approach and not have to necessarily run and gun. Kinda reminds me of condemned

Grayman

thirty said:
I'm having fun with it too. Wasn't planning on buying but I've been following here and there. Loving that you can take a slower approach and not have to necessarily run and gun. Kinda reminds me of condemned
When you do want action though, even on Nightmare the game does let you pull off in your face slaughters

CozMick

Banned
Trying to read through the entire thread to find out if the PS3 version is still buyable, how bout a quick yes or no gaf, PLEASE :p

Locke_211

I've got the PS3 version and, for me, it's nothing like as described above. SOME texture pop-in, very occasionally looking hilarious, but most of the time completely fine.

Echoplx

Metal-Geo said:
Put this in the Launch options: +cvaradd m_menu_sensitivity -0.2

That helped a bit, thanks.

Now is there a way to have a rageconfig file and still have achievements? I even removed the enable console line and they still won't work :/

Metal-Geo

3chopl0x said:
That helped a bit, thanks.

Now is there a way to have a rageconfig file and still have achievements? I even removed the enable console line and they still won't work :/
If you played a game and saved, I'm sorry, you're out of luck. I'm afraid you're gonna have to start again. Once you touch a game and work with the console, the entire save denies any achievements.

beastmode

Ether_Snake said:
Errr it also says even with no install at all on 360, it still goes faster than PS3. So that's not why.
Don't DVDs load faster than Blu-ray? Also 360 has more VRAM something something.

nemesun

Just finished Rage, that ending was pitiful... my reaction to it was "That's it?"

Oh well,

The good:
+ Amazing gun play, ids bread & butter
+ Jaw dropping graphics & art direction; couldn't help but wonder what Beyond good & evil 2 on id5 would look like.
+ Loved the mini-games
+ The overall game design was pretty decent

The bad:
- I couldn't help but wish the game was a bit less linear, they had everything in place for a great sandbox game.
- Lack of any sort of choice throughout the game; go here, go there, do this, do that.
- Side quests were few and far between and most of them were stuffed in the same dungen areas.

The ugly:
- The story or lack thereof.
- The ending.....
- Hardly any boss fight, I could count only one real boss fight throughout the game.

Overall: Decent game.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Rage is greatly superior to both Fallout and Borderlands in regards to gunplay, graphics and level design. It's a fps with no cover-based, micromanagement, numbers bullshit. I'd say go for it (and I love fallout / borderlands)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, I just finished the game. While I can understand the hate being projected towards the final level, I can't say that I agree with it; rushing through Capital Prime blasting the shit out of everything with my trusty shotgun felt like a sequence you would find on the cutting room floor of Quake II. Even the ending is classic id - it's short and completely devoid of pay-off! My only gripe is that there was no final boss battle, which is something I assumed the game was leading up to when you received the pulse rifle complete with some BFG ammo. What's the point of offering the player a BFG without an end character to waste it on?

Overall, Rage is a tremendously fantastic game that sits with Episode Two as the best FPS experience this generation.

Edit: My final autosave has a total play time of just under 14.5 hours.

StuBurns

Banned
Kong Fisso said:
Rage is greatly superior to both Fallout and Borderlands in regards to gunplay, graphics and level design. It's a fps with no cover-based, micromanagement, numbers bullshit. I'd say go for it (and I love fallout / borderlands)
I think both graphically and in terms of level design FO3 is way better. Certainly in terms of gunplay Rage is the best of the three, but that's hardly surprising.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kong Fisso said:

I agree with you and RAGE at this speed is going to become my personal favorite First Person Shooter in this generation and the previous one :)

It's such a great effort... I really can't find any single element not well developed and executed. It's a masterpiece.

Top Bottom