• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

nemesun

Solo said:
And here I am just reaching Jackal Canyon at sitting at 16 hours already :lol
You are pretty much near the end, two more missions to be precise. My final clock was 21hours and I pretty much wasted shit loads of hours on 5 Finger Filet and engineered piles upon piles of ammos for no apparent reason. I finished the game with 150 fatmamas, 250 pop rockets, and 200 dynamite bolts.

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
Son, I am disappoint. You should have had it day one. It's id's best single player game ever.
You've sped up a ton haven't you? You were on like ten hours at about 30% now you're at 90% at 16 hours?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
nemesun said:
You are pretty much near the end, two more missions to be precise. My final clock was 21hours and I pretty much wasted shit loads of hours on 5 Finger Filet and engineered piles upon piles of ammos for no apparent reason. I finished the game with 150 fatmamas, 250 pop rockets, and 200 dynamite bolts.

I used CheatEngine to complete FFF (slowing down the game via speedhack). I figured I could either stuff it up constantly and grow frustrated, or cheat and get it right the first time. :p

Solo

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Time to finish off some other shit then before continuing with the main quest (races, jumps, minigames, etc.).

nemesun

JaseC said:
I used CheatEngine to complete FFF (slowing down the game via speedhack). I figured I could either stuff it up constantly and grow frustrated, or cheat and get it right the first time. :p
It's pretty easy to be honest, the first 4 rounds are always the same, the last round is the one that mix things up a bit and I never had a problem with it. Did you manage to capture all cards by the way?

nemesun

CozMick said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vveNVQAR6q8

I'm watching this video in 720p to see if I could tolerate the pop-in but I just don't see it.

Is it the usual gaf hyperbole? because even when the guy is riding through the Wastelands I still don't see it :\
Hands on heart, there was next to no pop-ins for me throughout my play. As long as you don't go mental with the camera it's hardly noticable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
StuBurns said:
I think both graphically and in terms of level design FO3 is way better. Certainly in terms of gunplay Rage is the best of the three, but that's hardly surprising.
Definitely can't agree with that.

The level design in Rage is so much more interesting and distinct than Fallout 3. Many of the areas in Fallout almost feel as if they were dynamically generated while the levels in Rage all feel carefully hand crafted. They are so much more interesting to play through as a result. Fallout 3 still works great as it is an RPG first and foremost, but aside from the overworld (which is nice), every other area you explore feels pretty generic.

Graphically, I don't think there is any comparison. On the PC, I suppose it would be closer, but I still favor Rage overall, but on consoles there is no context. Fallout 3 chugs on both consoles while Rage pushes a smooth 60 fps 99% of the time. The more intricate scenery running at such a fast framerate really looks fantastic to me.

I'm watching this video in 720p to see if I could tolerate the pop-in but I just don't see it.

Is it the usual gaf hyperbole? because even when the guy is riding through the Wastelands I still don't see it :\
While exploring the Wastelands, if you stop and do 180 turns, you can easily notice it. However, while playing, it really isn't all that prevalent or noticeable.

CozMick

Banned
nemesun said:
Hands on heart, there was next to no pop-ins for me throughout my play. As long as you don't go mental with the camera it's hardly noticable.

Cool, Thanks for the info, I tolerated Brink (and actually thoroughly enjoyed it) which had texture streaming issues but gaf being gaf it seemed to be game breaking.

Just ordered it from Amazon w/ Prime so I'll get it tomorrow :)

dark10x said:
While exploring the Wastelands, if you stop and do 180 turns, you can easily notice it. However, while playing, it really isn't all that prevalent or noticeable.

Thanks.

JaseC

nemesun said:
It's pretty easy to be honest, the first 4 rounds are always the same, the last round is the one that mix things up a bit and I never had a problem with it. Did you manage to capture all cards by the way?

Ah, okay. I'll see if I can complete it without an aid during my next play through. I just didn't want a repeat of FFF in RDR. :p I found 76% of the cards and 74% of the recipes. While I did intend to find all of the cards, aside from one instance I only purchased recipes that were of particular benefit or interest.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
Definitely can't agree with that.

The level design in Rage is so much more interesting and distinct than Fallout 3. Many of the areas in Fallout almost feel as if they were dynamically generated while the levels in Rage all feel carefully hand crafted. They are so much more interesting to play through as a result. Fallout 3 still works great as it is an RPG first and foremost, but aside from the overworld (which is nice), every other area you explore feels pretty generic.
I guess I'd say it's not really an apt comparison because they are attempting different things, but I enjoyed the FO3 levels a lot more in terms of exploration, Rage's levels are very generic, straight path ordeals. Certainly they have a higher density of design work, but the game is also a fourth of the size. I have mixed feelings about Rage, but in terms of level design, I think it's weak compared to it's peers.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Five hours in and this is the most under-rated game of the year in the media to me. As soon as I got the glitches and vsync sorted it's been a really fun experience.

From Gamespot:

Gears of War 3 = 9.5
Dark Souls = 9.5
Rage = 8.0 (Metacritic 8.2)
Resistance 3 = 8.5

I couldn't disagree more with any of these scores. Here's mine:

Rage = 9.5
Resistance 3 = 9.0
Dark Souls = ?.? (I have yet to see a gameplay video or review that makes me want to give this game a go)
Gears of War 3 = 8.0

Anyway, don't really care personally because in the end it's for my enjoyment. I do hope Rage and Resistance sells well though as they have been my favorite experiences so far since the release of Infamous 2 in May... Oh, I should mention Bastion as being a highlight too.

Gvaz

Banned
Kong Fisso said:
Rage is greatly superior to both Fallout and Borderlands in regards to gunplay, graphics and level design. It's a fps with no cover-based, micromanagement, numbers bullshit. I'd say go for it (and I love fallout / borderlands)
I'd disagree on level design, actually.

(also micromanagement gets me all excited and I love numbers)

Also if you asked me I consider the game more like a 3/5 (2.5 is average, 1 is horseshit, 5 is exemplary)

nemesun

Man, those reviews don't do the game justice, I steered well clear of reviews and let the game speak for itself.. Now I'm slightly worried it might not sell well, I'm really desperate for a sequel.

nemesun said:
Man, those reviews don't do the game justice, I steered well clear of reviews and let the game speak for itself.. Now I'm slightly worried it might not sell well, I'm really desperate for a sequel.

You wouldn't have had a sequel for loooong time anyway, isn't a new cthulhu quake confirmed after doom 4?

p3tran

Banned
so guys, anybody knows if this great new engine is gonna be used SOON for any other game?
my fingers are itching me, and I havent finished the game yet.

p.s. about reviewers/reviews: it is obvious to me that the entire "segment" has missed their spot regarding this game. no sweat though. doesnt take away from the experience itself.

StuBurns

Banned
id have two teams, and they want to roll the Rage team right on to Rage 2 as long as the game doesn't bomb. You could see it in a couple of years if all goes well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
StuBurns said:
I guess I'd say it's not really an apt comparison because they are attempting different things, but I enjoyed the FO3 levels a lot more in terms of exploration, Rage's levels are very generic, straight path ordeals. Certainly they have a higher density of design work, but the game is also a fourth of the size. I have mixed feelings about Rage, but in terms of level design, I think it's weak compared to it's peers.
What are its peers? Certainly not Fallout 3.

I appreciate Rage simply because it provides the solid gunplay I look for in an id game with a touch of freedom. I certainly did NOT want a sand box game (would have been a disaster), but I didn't want a completely on-rails experience ala Call of Duty (or even Doom 3, really).

What exactly were you hoping for here? People keep drawing comparisons between Rage and games such as Fallout 3 and Borderlands but it really isn't like either of them (outside of its themee).

p3tran said:
so guys, anybody knows if this great new engine is gonna be used SOON for any other game?

p.s. about reviewers/reviews: it is obvious to me that the entire "segment" has missed their spot regarding this game. no sweat though. doesnt take away from the experience itself.

Megatexture's gonna be used in the new prey iirc.

JaseC

p3tran said:

Doom 4 will be their next release and the wait is expected to be "shorter than first thought". I presume an unveiling at QuakeCon 2012 and a release in Q4 2013.

Edit: Another Quake title with the return to the Gothic, Lovecraftian art style isn't confirmed to be id's post-Doom 4 project. Depending on the success of Rage it's entirely possible that we'll see a sequel before another Quake game.

nemesun

fizzelopeguss said:
You wouldn't have had a sequel for loooong time anyway, isn't a new cthulhu quake confirmed after doom 4?
fuckingThingSucks.gif

Doom 3 killed the series for me, and I have next to no interest in Quake....

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
Rage has been one of the most enjoyable shooters for me in a long while, though, so I suppose I can't agree with that either.
It is for me too. Well, long isn't really fair, I think Halo Reach is better, but it's still very very good.

p3tran

Banned
dark10x said:
Rage has been one of the most enjoyable shooters for me in a long while, though, so I suppose I can't agree with that either.
I wrote again some days ago that back in the beginning of this console generation,
in my mind I had an idea of how the next gen shooters should feel and play.

rage is the first game that comes to realize my expectations. on the looks, and on the feel.

bravo id, now get your engine to as many game creators as possible!
if we are going to have zombie console technology running for a couple of years more, then the future games should at least try to play like this one.

nemesun said:
fuckingThingSucks.gif

Doom 3 killed the series for me, and I have next to no interest in Quake....

Can I interest you in a little idtech 5 reboot of Catacomb 3D?!

2cat3d_3.png

I'll take anything they've got cooking in the id Labs.

Effect

What do you lose access to if you buy the game used? I know the "sewers" but you can buy that code on PSN/Xbox Live/Steam right? Anything else?

Definity

They really didn't need to close off most of the areas once you finish the game especially with that asstacular ending. I was ready to go back in and find playing cards and finish a few more races but nope, can't do shit now. Love the game overall (except the ending) but locking folks out of areas was a poor design choice.

nemesun

Effect said:
What do you lose access to if you buy the game used? I know the "sewers" but you can buy that code on PSN/Xbox Live/Steam right? Anything else?
Not much else, I didn't even bother with the sewers. But I would refrain from buying it used.

nemesun

Definity said:
They really didn't need to close off most of the areas once you finish the game especially with that asstacular ending. I was ready to go back in and find playing cards and finish a few more races but nope, can't do shit now. Love the game overall (except the ending) but locking folks out of areas was a poor design choice.
Hear, hear. I would've loved to go back and tie up the loose ends.

IronRinn

I feel kind of cheated. I'm already to Subway Town and still haven't received the schematics for the sentry bot or turret. Supposedly, I'm supposed to have been able to buy them from the outfitter in Wellsping but no matter how many times I visited him, he never had them. I was looking forward to using them, especially the bot. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose I could go back to Wellspring again and just keep checking. Pretty frustrating.

Wallach

IronRinn said:
I feel kind of cheated. I'm already to Subway Town and still haven't received the schematics for the sentry bot or turret. Supposedly, I'm supposed to have been able to buy them from the outfitter in Wellsping but no matter how many times I visited him, he never had them. I was looking forward to using them, especially the bot. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose I could go back to Wellspring again and just keep checking. Pretty frustrating.

You know all the vendors have different pages for different item types they sell, right?

Effect

nemesun said:
Not much else, I didn't even bother with the sewers. But I would refrain from buying it used.

Thanks. Nah. Do to having to have to wait for the game and seeing just what the content is the only way I'm getting the game now is if it drastically drops in price or I can find it used. No way I'm paying the full price it just to get it new.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
Not sure what you mean, ZeniMax only own Bethesda I think.

They own both Bethesda and id, which is why Rage is a Bethesda-published game - it keeps the entire project in-house and thus maximises profits.

nemesun

IronRinn said:
Did you buy all the available schematics in Wellspring? Sometimes you need to buy a schematic first before the list gets updated with the new one.

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
They own both Bethesda and id, which is why Rage is a Bethesda-published game - it keeps the entire project in-house and thus maximises profits.
True, but I'm not sure what difference that makes in terms of what you said, who else was going to use if it it's only those two studios? Or more specifically the one publisher.

Vulcano's assistant said:
Oh I imagine why. No point in having megatextures if it is going to take you ten years to paint them.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the amount of data you would need for texture maps would be astronomical. There is no way you could even fit the entire overworld on one disk (perhaps not even a blu-ray), so things would have to be broken up.

JaseC

StuBurns said:
True, but I'm not sure what difference that makes in terms of what you said, who else was going to use if it it's only those two studios? Or more specifically the one publisher.

I think we've a misunderstanding here. When you said "Bethesda games" I assumed you were referring to Bethesda Game Studios (the developer) rather than Bethesda as a whole, inclusive of publishing partnerships.

Metal-Geo

id Tech is now, exclusively, only available to game developers whose games are to be published by Bethesda (BRINK, RAGE, Prey 2 and most certainly Doom 4). The licensing page on idsoftware.com has been removed for quite some time now.

I think it's so Bethesda can make sure the resources at id Software aren't lost to helping 'outside' developers with the engine.

Top Bottom