• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

kamspy

Just owning shit with the wingstick get's it a 9/10 from me. Everything else was icing.

I just ran through using whatever weapon. Maybe the Authority MG with the lighting rounds if I'm up against authority. But mainly I just used weapons to stun until I could get my wingstick into their heads. I liked to prep 50 for a mission, but I usually came out with 20+, just nice knowing ya got em. That single item mechanic won the game for me. Holy fuck. I want to kill everything ever in a video game with a wingstick now. Sooo satisfying.

Starting my Nightmare 100% run now. I missed every single sewer and the sentry bot schematics on my first run, but I knew I'd be doing a second so I didn't stray from the path too often.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well glad I rented this first to try it out... almost impulse bought it the other day. Dodged a bullet. The framerate is really solid, which is great, but the texture pop is like nothing I've ever seen before.

I'll have to wait until the spring when I get a new PC before I can play this. No way i'm going to buy/play the PS3 version. Shit gives me a headache.

I'd rather stomach bad framerate or tearing than this. Nothing is worse than texture pop, imo.

Game seems pretty cool though... will definitely buy on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Evolved1 said:
Well glad I rented this first to try it out... almost impulse bought it the other day. Dodged a bullet. The framerate is really solid, which is great, but the texture pop is like nothing I've ever seen before.

I'll have to wait until the spring when I get a new PC before I can play this. No way i'm going to buy/play the PS3 version. Shit gives me a headache.

I'd rather stomach bad framerate or tearing than this. Nothing is worse than texture pop, imo.

I really didn't find it to be that bad on PS3. If you stand still and rotate back and forth, you will notice it, but in general while playing, it's a non-issue. It's at its worst in the Wasteland, but nearly every other place you visit is much better.

The PC version, for me, has been quite inferior. It can look better, but texture pop-in still occurs (though to a lesser degree) and there are loads of other problems that you may or may not have.

dark10x said:
The PC version, for me, has been quite inferior. It can look better, but texture pop-in still occurs (though to a lesser degree) and there are loads of other problems that you may or may not have.
You haven't been able to sort it out after the patch and with the driver update, you are running it with a 5870. Correct? Kind of weird how some people have a smooth experience after the "fixes" and others don't.

What are the ither problems you are refering to?
Evolved1 said:
Just to be sure to be on the green team by then, this guys got an easier time with this one and Crysis and Metro and Arkham City and...

Dartastic

Mr_eX said:
That's just another "I don't like it because it's not what I thought it was going to be" review.
Except for the fact that I've played it and feel pretty much the same way. I honestly didn't go into it thinking it was "going to be" anything, except a good game. I came away very disappointed.

I finished the game on Nightmare difficulty and thought it was a fun experience. My only complaint was that I wish it had more depth, since it was a little too easy. I also wish they utilized some of the environments better. There were some sweet locations that you only go to for five minutes and then never set foot in again. Overall, I'm glad I purchased it and am looking forward to checking out those co-op missions.

Pimpbaa

Dartastic said:
Except for the fact that I've played it and feel pretty much the same way. I honestly didn't go into it thinking it was "going to be" anything, except a good game. I came away very disappointed.

It's not a good game, it's a GREAT game.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Gvaz said:
That review isn't remotely objectively correct.

lotta Irony in that from ya Gvaz..here let me fix that for ya
37176167_m.gif

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not sure what people saw in this.

Played on 360.

The precanned enemy jumps at the start of battle, the lack of dynamic lighting a constant distraction, the eye gouging pop in that went from unnoticed to funny to honestly physically hard to look at made me wish they went for 30 on consoles and didn't include all the half finished "rpg" elemtents. Maybe this would have let them have enough time/system resources to fix the core of the game itself.

Supremely glad I only rented this. My only real questions now are how many of the people non stop flaming reviewers/posters in the review thread are viral marketers paid by ID. Also how many of those reviewers honestly only gave it the score they gave it because they want Skyrim early + have a mancrush (an understandable one to be honest) on Carmack due to his past work in the industry.

Einbroch

Banned
Beat Dark Souls, time to fire this one up! Been sitting on my desk since getting it in the mail from GameFly for a week or so. Excited!

Evolved1

Yeah... I tried to look past the texture pop and give the game a chance on the PS3 but I can't do it.

I honestly don't even know what to say... I can't believe they'd release a game in this condition.

Not terribly impressed with how the game feels either. Super floaty and yet another console port with shitty analog controls. Note to devs: stop fucking with acceleration and deadzones, you do not know what you're doing.

Evolved1

subversus said:
does it have autoaim? I heard it doesn't, which is pretty cool I think.

No... at least they got that right. I always turn autoaim or aim assist off in all my shooters, but I didn't feel any in RAGE in the hour or so I played.

You know if you fucking do analog settings correctly, you don't need aim assist.

I'm really tired of devs who think "sensitivity" is all they need in an options menu, especially when they screw around with acceleration and deadzones. Just put the three or four extra sliders in there... it's not that hard. This crap isn't rocket surgery.

GeoramA

Beat it on Normal, took a little over 20 hours. Really disappointed in the last level and ending.

Just when the story starts getting good too, it ends like that. Shit's unacceptable.

Oh well, I'm starting my Nightmare playthrough now.

eek5

subversus said:
does it have autoaim? I heard it doesn't, which is pretty cool I think.
No autoaim but when you scope in it does bring your crosshair closer or onto enemies. I usually hipfired or stayed in ADS instead of aiming down sights and back out so it didn't really affect me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Prodigal said:
Just got the quest to recover my ID, am I more than halfway done?

You're more or less halfway. It's the penultimate primary mission of the Wellspring hub.

LuchaShaq said:
Not sure what people saw in this.

Played on 360.

The precanned enemy jumps at the start of battle, the lack of dynamic lighting a constant distraction, the eye gouging pop in that went from unnoticed to funny to honestly physically hard to look at made me wish they went for 30 on consoles and didn't include all the half finished "rpg" elemtents. Maybe this would have let them have enough time/system resources to fix the core of the game itself.

Supremely glad I only rented this. My only real questions now are how many of the people non stop flaming reviewers/posters in the review thread are viral marketers paid by ID. Also how many of those reviewers honestly only gave it the score they gave it because they want Skyrim early + have a mancrush (an understandable one to be honest) on Carmack due to his past work in the industry.

Laughable comment is laughable.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, CliffyB complained about lack of autoaim in some shooter on twitter. He said that since Halo had set the template everybody should borrow from it. I wonder what shooter it might be...

I'm still tempted to get the game but Hollestead said that the second patch with perfomance fixes is already on its way. Might wait until they deliver it.

Mr_eX

Gvaz said:
That review is 10000000000% objectively correct.

http://www.pastemagazine.com said:
It isn’t that Rage is an awful game. It’s just one that gives you barely any reason to continue playing, let alone get invested in it, aside from maybe to see the effects of id Engine 5

Completely missed the point of the game. Do critics not play games for the gameplay anymore?

The reviewer complains about the open world aspect of the game which is dumb because it's not an open world game. It's a game that has a hub that lets you select the level you wish to play next and then loads that level. It's like an expanded version of Crash Bandicoot 2 on the PS1.

Evolved1

subversus said:
lol, CliffyB complained about lack of autoaim in some shooter on twitter. He said that since Halo had set the template everybody should borrow from it. I wonder what shooter it might be...

I'm still tempted to get the game but Hollestead said that the second patch with perfomance fixes is already on its way. Might wait until they deliver it.

Have they said what performance fixes?

Einbroch

Banned
I played this game for 20 minutes earlier and suddenly felt very, very sick. I went to the bathroom and almost threw up.

I have never had motion sickness in first person shooters...ugh.

Evolved1

Einbroch said:
I played this game for 20 minutes earlier and suddenly felt very, very sick. I went to the bathroom and almost threw up.

I have never had motion sickness in first person shooters...ugh.

I got a massive headache... and I never have a problem with shooters or any games really. For me I know it was the textures popping in every couple seconds. It was fucking with my eyes.

Prodigal

Banned
JaseC said:
You're more or less halfway. It's the penultimate primary mission of the Wellspring hub.

If I complete all the Wellspring missions will there be anything preventing me from going back and doing other stuff there?

JaseC

Prodigal said:
If I complete all the Wellspring missions will there be anything preventing me from going back and doing other stuff there?

Nope. You can catch a lift from Subway Town to Wellspring (and vice-versa) by talking to the captain of the Zeppelin.

Selling off my 360 version. Can't stand the controller and wish I hadn't bought it. I know, i'm weird, sorry.

Anyway,

Which version should I choose? PS3 or PC?

For reference my Notebook that I would play this on:

GTX460m
Core i7 q740 @ 1.73ghz
8gb Ram
Win7 64

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Well, that's that. I didn't mind the last level as much as others in this thread, but it did feel like I was timewarped back to Quake II. I half expected card keys and "TRESPASSUH!" to pop up at any moment. It was very brief and I enjoyed using the weapon you're given right before, so it wasn't that big a deal for me, but going from Jackal Canyon (one of the better missions in the game) to that right after was a bit jarring. They really could have put in one more boss right at the end there, at least. Those BFG bullets needed to be used on something big.

Anyway, final verdict: I loved the game. Probably my second favorite after Portal 2 this year. The gunplay was superb, the absolute best I've played since the first F.E.A.R. Everything in Rage snapped, punched. Sound effects were so beefy. The various ammo types were pretty cool. And I'm not sure who, exactly, at id thought it'd be cool to put pop rockets into a shotgun, but I love that individual. Especially since you can put them into the double-barreled. I mean, grenade rounds into a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun? Come on. That is brilliant.

Driving was surprisingly smooth, car combat was satisfactory. Very solid, if narrow, level design. Mini-games were really underrated, especially the card game. Fun stuff all-around. My only real complaint, and I'm a little curious why I'm seemingly the only one to notice it in this thread, is the difficulty, or lack of it. I played through on nightmare and never really felt like I was being challenged. I did not abuse advanced wingsticks or F5 every eight steps either, heh. I just wanted to be pushed a little harder.

Still, loved it. Really, really loved it. The first Quake is still the best id game in my book, but Rage is up there. It's easily the best shooter I've played since, what, Ep. 2? It's been awhile. I'm so happy id is back. Hopefully Doom 4 isn't too far away.

JaseC

AgentOtaku said:
Selling off my 360 version. Can't stand the controller and wish I hadn't bought it. I know, i'm weird, sorry.

Anyway,

Which version should I choose? PS3 or PC?

For reference my Notebook that I would play this on:

GTX460m
Core i7 q740 @ 1.73ghz
8gb Ram
Win7 64

Go for the PC version - the game will run just fine on that laptop.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
[final thoughts]

Get out of my head.

JaseC

AgentOtaku said:
Oh yeah?

Awesome!

Absolutely. A ~3GHz quad-core (factoring in turbo boost), 8GB of RAM and a prior-generation mid-range nvidia MGPU will run Rage just fine. Just be sure to download and install the latest beta drivers if you haven't already.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just started my Nightmare game tonight for lack of other games I wanted to play. Now that I'm used to the game it certainly isn't much of a challenge (just got the crossbow), but goddamn if the action in this game isn't satisfying.

JaseC said:
Absolutely. A ~3GHz quad-core (factoring in turbo boost), 8GB of RAM and a prior-generation mid-range nvidia MGPU will run Rage just fine. Just be sure to download and install the latest beta drivers if you haven't already.

Hell, I run a dual core i5 with 4GB of RAM and a 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility and it runs smooth as silk and looks utterly amazing. Very scalable engine.

Gvaz

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
You've got an interesting understanding of "fact", if a review is the example.
Pretty much every single one of his complaints are legitimate, at least to me, because I had the same exact complaints about it. So for me, in my world I live in, they're facts because I can't really see it any other way.

Gvaz said:
Pretty much every single one of his complaints are legitimate, at least to me, because I had the same exact complaints about it. So for me, in my world I live in, they're facts because I can't really see it any other way.

I see. An interesting take on 'facts'. I generally call them opinions, but we won't split hairs.

Top Bottom