• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
rage2011-10-1123-52-06e85q.jpg

I love it when developers stick cool hidden shit in their games.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, that was pretty cool to stumble upon. I was disappointed that I missed the Quake room. :(

Fjordson

Damn, Subway Town looks cool as hell. This and Wellspring look awesome.

I'm enjoying the game, but I don't know, something feels off. I think it's the story and characters. I just don't care for any of it or them.

I think it might be from me playing New Vegas right before this and so the the shared post-apocalyptic setting is messing with my experience in Rage. The vast world of Fallout with all of it's lore behind the universe makes Rage feel...I don't know, sparse in comparison. Probably unfair since this is simply a different kind of game than Fallout, I just wish there was a bit more to the world.

Combat is very fun, though. And the environments certainly look great.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Five hours in and I am still loving this game. Loving it to the point that it's the most fun FPS of the year for me. I see it as a shallow FPS with some looting and arcade racing with decent amount of customization. This is by no means a RPG-FPS. Don't get why a game like Gears of War gets so much love when a game like this gets, comparatively, so much dislike. Maybe it's the MP aspects that does it, because I don't really have any close friends that game so I just play SP. Don't enjoy playing MP against people I don't know unless I know at least one person.

And the graphics are insanely good. Whoever called this game brown doesn't know what he/she is talking about! It has very strong colors and so much detail. The lighting is fantastic and I just want to stop and look at every single area because of how gorgeous it is. Not seeing tiling is refreshing even though some textures are quite muddy as a result of it. Can't wait for next-generation.

I am using the custom config on my PC (that's the version I have) to try to increase the resolution of the textures but it seems they either didn't include higher resolution textures or the current method doesn't properly unlock it. I want something that fills up my 1.5gb of VRAM (not that VRAM is used for textures only like a lot of people seem to think but anyway).

I better hurry up and finish it though as Batman is out next week and I am really looking forward to that... Or wait until the PC version comes out which I might do.

Thunderbear

Fjordson said:

I'm enjoying the game, but I don't know, something feels off. I think it's the story and characters. I just don't care for any of it or them.

I think it might be from me playing New Vegas right before this and so the the shared post-apocalyptic setting is messing with my experience in Rage. The vast world of Fallout with all of it's lore behind the universe makes Rage feel...I don't know, sparse in comparison. Probably unfair since this is simply a different kind of game than Fallout, I just wish there was a bit more to the world.

I definitely think this. Rage is an arcade game with some additions, while Fallout is a full blown Action RPG. If you accept that I think it's an awesome, and fun game. It's not a deep experience, but I don't think it needs to be.

As for writing... I don't really think any writing in games is any good except for a couple of exceptions. We're really in the dark ages in this area.

Fjordson said:

This game has no story. I've been very harsh on this game, and for obvious reasons. The limited world is what killed it for me. The lack of towns doesn't make sense to me, and their size as well. The ping pong pacing got annoying real fast. Subway Town is such a tease. It looks so awesome, but yet, tiny. This game is a Tech Demo to me. I had fun doing some of the main missions, but the lack of substance(You hardly drive on the second disc)and the know problems this game has is a huge turn off. I think people who enjoy this game is because of the 60fps and textures

ShinobiFist said:
This game has no story. I've been very harsh on this game, and for obvious reasons. The limited world is what killed it for me. The lack of towns doesn't make sense to me, and their size as well. The ping pong pacing got annoying real fast. Subway Town is such a tease. It looks so awesome, but yet, tiny. This game is a Tech Demo to me. I had fun doing some of the main missions, but the lack of substance(You hardly drive on the second disc)and the know problems this game has is a huge turn off. I think people who enjoy this game is because of the 60fps and textures
I think you're wrong.
Shooting and killing shit in Rage is awesome. Detractors complain about the lack of towns, rpg systems, npcs, whatever. Just look at the retarded Bioshock/Fallout discusion.
I'm glad they built this as a shooter first and foremost. I would have hated more rpg-elements and down time - takes away from the shooting and killing things.

Bumhead

Banned
Really don't get this constant tech demo reference. A tech demo for who? Its not being licensed to anyone and won't be used for anything other than Bethesda games. I also don't see how something with this many issues can be called a tech demo. For me RAGE is really impressive in some areas but dissapointing in others. Especially on PC, its pretty inconsistent. As impressive as RAGE can be, I hardly think its a convincing reference for the tech.

Or is "just a tech demo" the new "looks like Borderlands" in terms of lazy and sloppy criticism?

Thunderbear

ShinobiFist said:

You know that's not true? I mean it's not even an opinion, the game has a narrative. You wake up from stasis because a meteor has hit earth and you were sent to the moon to rest until the planet would be habitable again. As you progress through the story you find out more and more why you were brought back prematurely. It's not a great story but it has a story. Call it a weak story, but it does have a story.

A tech demo would be a game with no gameplay right? It has plenty of gameplay. There's lots of action, well implemented FPS and a fun side aspect of driving missions but the main heart of it is an FPS which ID has always said (referring to your comment about no driving on the second disc (not sure where the disc swap is since I have the PC version).

As for the last part I bolded, that's not at all the reason why I love (yes, love) this game. I do love the 60fps part, but there's so much more that I love. You don't like the game, fine, but don't try to tell others why they like it or why they are wrong for liking it.

Kong Fisso said:
I think you're wrong.
Shooting and killing shit in Rage is awesome. Detractors complain about the lack of towns, rpg systems, npcs, whatever. Just look at the retarded Bioshock/Fallout discusion.
I'm glad they built this as a shooter first and foremost. I would have hated more rpg-elements and down time - takes away from the shooting and killing things.

Bulletstorm did a better job at "killing shit is awesome" And this game wasn't built as a shooter all the way. They really, and clearly gave a fuck about the driving(Which was done very well)What's the point of having a world or towns if they're tiny as fuck. If RAGE would have just got rid of the world map and have a typical pacing like any other FPS, I probably would've enjoy the game a lot more. They're other FPS in the market that is doing a lot more in the genre than RAGE. From content, story, mechanics and world. Shit, id couldn't even get the shotgun spread right, lol. RAGE is like a hotgirl who can't fuck right.

Bumhead

Banned
Not even sure where to start with that.

If people don't like the game, fine. There are plenty of reasons to dislike RAGE.. just as many as with any other game. But lets nip this babbling nonsense about tech demos in the bud now, please.

highrider

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Bulletstorm did a better job at "killing shit is awesome" And this game wasn't built as a shooter all the way. They really, and clearly gave a fuck about the driving(Which was done very well)What's the point of having a world or towns if they're tiny as fuck. If RAGE would have just got rid of the world map and have a typical pacing like any other FPS, I probably would've enjoy the game a lot more. They're other FPS in the market that is doing a lot more in the genre than RAGE. From content, story, mechanics and world. Shit, id couldn't even get the shotgun spread right, lol. RAGE is like a hotgirl who can't fuck right.

bulletstorm is great, but the gameplay of rage is leagues above it imo. as for not liking the shotgun, i can't even comprehend that.

ShinobiFist said:
Sounds like you like fucking the fat, nasty type with all the toys and cheap jewellery.
RAGE doesn't even need all that shit. She too pretty.

Hela

I'm amazed at people defending the story saying that it's "minimalism" is a pro, rather than acknowledging that it's really just pathetic and about nothing, with a biggest non-ending I can remember in recent years, which really is a kick to the balls after such a long development time.

Hela said:
I'm amazed at people defending the story saying that it's "minimalism" is a pro, rather than acknowledging that it's really just pathetic and about nothing, with a biggest non-ending I can remember in recent years, which really is a kick to the balls after such a long development time.
Google 'carmack story' and then at least you'll not expect a proper story in their next game. Not saying that the game wouldn't be better with better writing, cause it would, but just steering you clear of expecting to get that from an ID game.

It's funny cause it seemed like id really tried for narrative back in 2004 with Doom3 (which mostly consisted of System shock2 logs, though nowhere near as good). Ultimately it was still met with a meh reception and now they're back to really not caring/focusing on it and putting gameplay first. Which is fine, but in Rage's case, I think the world/setup is awesome, so it's a shame it get's half-served.

Hela

plagiarize said:
Google 'carmack story' and then at least you'll not expect a proper story in their next game. Not saying that the game wouldn't be better with better writing, cause it would, but just steering you clear of expecting to get that from an ID game.
I didn't really expect anything amazing, or groundbreaking but I expected something and they've given me absolutely nothing. I know very well that id isn't Bioware, and I don't want them to be, but that's no excuse for creating nothing. Especially when the multiplayer is mostly throwaway.

eshwaaz

I'm several missions into Subway Town - still loving the combat, still impressed by the atmosphere - but the game overall feels like a collection of unrelated side-missions. There's no real sense of progress or purpose.

Level design is strong, but actual mission design is practically non-existent. Several missions literally boil down to "play through this level again, but in reverse". Locations look great and are interesting and varied, but very little actually happens within them.

The various elements of the game feel disconnected. Driving around the wasteland, blowing up bandits can be fun, but it often feels superfluous. Mutant Bash TV is oddly random, as if it exists alone in this world, independent of the society around it. Again - it's enjoyable - but it's not integrated well.

I completely understand why many here are fully satisfied with id's focus and approach. As I said, I'm having fun, and definitely do not regret my purchase. But I do think that the experience as a whole fails to gel in a complete, cohesive way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Refreshment.01 said:
You haven't been able to sort it out after the patch and with the driver update, you are running it with a 5870. Correct? Kind of weird how some people have a smooth experience after the "fixes" and others don't.

What are the ither problems you are refering to?
Well, I had to use the +jobs_numThreads 0 command among other things. I shouldn't have to disable threads, but it did work.

That said, now I get a perfect 60 fps, but I still see texture pop-in. So while the resolution is superior, the experience is really not all that different from the PS3 version. I'm playing both back to back (main progress on PS3 and replaying on PC). I actually LOVE playing the game so I'm kind of enjoying the double shot.

That said, although it was running well last night, I can't help but think that it will randomly break again soon. The settings required to get it running properly are very specific and even one variable change will tank the whole thing.

TGMIII

So what's the general thoughts on rage then. Coming from iD it's something I'm interested in playing but they've been pretty lackluster with the last few games they've released. How's the game lenth/content?

dark10x

awwyeahgurrl said:
So what's the general thoughts on rage then. Coming from iD it's something I'm interested in playing but they've been pretty lackluster with the last few games they've released. How's the game lenth/content?
The last FEW games? That would be Doom 3, Quake III, Quake II, and Quake. I wouldn't say those were lackluster.

TGMIII

dark10x said:
The last FEW games? That would be Doom 3, Quake III, Quake II, and Quake. I wouldn't say those were lackluster.

Quake 4 MP was fine after it was finally patched 2 years too late, SP was eh and doom 3 did nothing for me. Guess I should have said after the last 2 games then.

Gvaz said:
The shotgun spread is too wide though, the gun itself owns.

Yep, like I said, DoubleBarrell doesn't really need to exist honestly. They both have completely shit range, are more or less interchangable, and once you turn shotty into clip-fed, DoubleBarrell becomes useless.
Only time I use it is to just hear how awesome it sounds.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
I would say the last few would be Rage HD, Doom 3 and Quake 3 TA. All crap.

dark10x said:
Well, I had to use the +jobs_numThreads 0 command among other things. I shouldn't have to disable threads, but it did work.

That said, now I get a perfect 60 fps, but I still see texture pop-in. So while the resolution is superior, the experience is really not all that different from the PS3 version. I'm playing both back to back (main progress on PS3 and replaying on PC). I actually LOVE playing the game so I'm kind of enjoying the double shot.

That said, although it was running well last night, I can't help but think that it will randomly break again soon. The settings required to get it running properly are very specific and even one variable change will tank the whole thing.

This is why i'm still hesistant to get the PC version. Sure I should be fine with my setup, but if i'm not for whatever reason (like Deus Ex), i'm essentially stuck with a $60 game that I can't get rid of =/

dark10x

StuBurns said:
I would say the last few would be Rage HD, Doom 3 and Quake 3 TA. All crap.
If you're going to go that far, then why not include Doom and Wolf 3D for iPhone?

Rage HD was awesome, for what it was, and I fucking love Doom 3. Team Arena was more of an add-on than a real game, though. Even if YOU didn't enjoy those games, can you really call them crap? I hate the recent Mario Kart games, for instance, but I wouldn't say they are crap.

This is why i'm still hesistant to get the PC version. Sure I should be fine with my setup, but if i'm not for whatever reason (like Deus Ex), i'm essentially stuck with a $60 game that I can't get rid of =/
The problems with Deus Ex were not even remotely close to the problems with Rage. At least DX was still quite playable despite some hitching and loading issues (which were all solved, thankfully). Rage was absolutely NOT playable in any way, shape, or form for me. It has taken more than a week to finally reach a playable state and, even then, it's not perfect.

I've had much more fun with the PS3 version as a result even though it feels great with a mouse and keyboard (when it works). You might have better luck with an nVidia card, of course, but I wouldn't count on great performance.

Gvaz

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Yep, like I said, DoubleBarrell doesn't really need to exist honestly. They both have completely shit range, are more or less interchangable, and once you turn shotty into clip-fed, DoubleBarrell becomes useless.
Only time I use it is to just hear how awesome it sounds.
I use the double barrel as a double barrel grenade launcher, it's so broken

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
If you're going to go that far, then why not include Doom and Wolf 3D for iPhone?
Because they're ports of old games.

And yes, I'd say they were crap, if you can say something is awesome, I can say it's crap.

dark10x

StuBurns said:
Because they're ports of old games.

And yes, I'd say they were crap, if you can say something is awesome, I can say it's crap.
Man, I think we disagree on just about everything. Every time I see you post an opinion I find myself disagreeing with you. :p For instance, I think God of War III is the best in THAT series but I recall you posting just the other day that it was crap. I found the first two games to be somewhat dull and over-hyped, actually. That said, they were both very well made and of high quality.

Games are either GOTY or complete shit, remember?
It seems that way.

Effect

DaBuddaDa said:
Thought would most likely be if you charge $60 then you bring you A game. Nothing less. I see no reason why people shouldn't take that stance. Developers/publishers know what their game is like. If it doesn't reach a certain standard that can easily be judged by comparing a game to others (they don't exist in a bubble) then price down your game accordingly. Not all games are equal in quality but if they are going to be priced the same then those of lesser quality should be judged more harshly for the price being asked. I'd personally be more forgiving to a game that has flaws but is costing me $30 or $40 compared to one costing me $50 or $60.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Because I think certain games are shit I must think there is no middle ground? There's lots of games I find to be middling, Rage for example.

Hela said:
I didn't really expect anything amazing, or groundbreaking but I expected something and they've given me absolutely nothing. I know very well that id isn't Bioware, and I don't want them to be, but that's no excuse for creating nothing. Especially when the multiplayer is mostly throwaway.
you didn't google it then. i made sure the first hit was relavent before i told you to do the search.

i'm not blaming you for not knowing this, but:

John Carmack said:
Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important.

agree with it, disagree with it... that's his philosphy. if you'd known that, you may have steered clear of the game altogether, or you may have come in with different expectations, but now at least, you know.

dark10x

Effect said:
Thought would most likely be if you charge $60 then you bring you A game. Nothing less. I see no reason why people shouldn't take that stance. Developers/publishers know what their game is like. If it doesn't reach a certain standard that can easily be judged by comparing a game to others (they don't exist in a bubble) then price down your game accordingly. Not all games are equal in quality but if they are going to be priced the same then those of lesser quality should be judged more harshly for the price being asked. I'd personally be more forgiving to a game that has flaws but is costing me $30 or $40 compared to one costing me $50 or $60.
Games are not judged equally by all. I may have found a game to be worth $60, but someone else may feel it is worthless. That's just how it goes, I suppose.

TGMIII

So instead of people nitpicking at each others posts does anyone actually have any thoughts on rage? Any issues other than drivers that I should know about, how's the general content in the game, what's the general length of a playthrough.

I couldn't give a shit if you liked a game I didn't like, we all have our own opinions.
and before anyone asks why I'm asking for an opinion when I said I don't care about others, I haven't played rage as opposed to games I have played and made my mind up about.

dark10x said:
Games are not judged equally by all. I may have found a game to be worth $60, but someone else may feel it is worthless. That's just how it goes, I suppose.
i may find two games to be worth $60 even if i greatly prefer one over the other. value is inherantly subjective... and even as individuals we don't hold every game to the same standards, because we don't as individuals expect to get exactly the same thing out of every game.

what i expected to get out of Ghostbusters: The Game and what i expected to get out of Dead Space 2 were completely different. if i'd judged Ghostbusters by the same standards i judged Dead Space 2 i'd have slated it. but i didn't, because i'm human and it gave me EXACTLY what i wanted, so i loved it.

eshwaaz

awwyeahgurrl said:
So instead of people nitpicking at each others posts does anyone actually have any thoughts on rage? Any issues other than drivers that I should know about, how's the general content in the game, what's the general length of a playthrough.

I couldn't give a shit if you liked a game I didn't like, we all have our own opinions.
I posted my thoughts on the previous page. It looks like I'll get about 15 hours out of it.

Top Bottom