• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

NBtoaster

Special J said:
bandwidth caps arent an issue for a game you download install once and bluray is irrelevant pc games dont read off optical drive, horrible load times lulz. pc gamers i dont think care much how many discs it takes to install as long as its a reasonable number. they would never release a game on bluray for pc that would not only be very costly (expensive to press, expensive to license) but also hurts their ability to sell to a larger market. and stamping two sets of disks dvd and bluray seems pointless.

They don't read from optical but they still ship on them. If Blu Ray is too cumbersome then it's best to hope that PC games are DD exclusive by then, because no one will ship 10+ DVDs.

Special J said:
i have no clue how you came to that conclusion when i typed out Tim Willits three times in my post... are you blind?

lol

I have no reading comprehension. Okay I reread and saw what you implied. Cheers

Metal-Geo

Or Carmack could continue his development in the mega texture 'technology' to make it less space hungry. I dunno.

Do we know anything about Doom 4? Will it be mainly outside? More corridors? Big-ass levels? To what extent will mega textures be used?

derFeef

Metal-Geo said:
Or Carmack could continue his development in the mega texture 'technology' to make it less space hungry. I dunno.

Do we know anything about Doom 4? Will it be mainly outside? More corridors? Big-ass levels? To what extent will mega textures be used?
It will be a 30fps game (on consoles). If that holds true if the game is still years off and new console hardware is out by then is questionable of course.

NBtoaster

derFeef said:
I can't make the connection you seem to make, can you explain this any further?

Megatexture as used in Rage creates big, big game sizes, Rage compressed them to hell to get down to 22GB. You want better physical distribution methods and less constricting ISPs to get real improvements. Much of the world still has very slow internet and bandwidth caps. 22GB is already too much for me, it's a quarter of what I get a month.

Also, does Steam charge pubs/devs for bandwidth used? Could be another factor in not wanting outrageous sizes.

Special J

Banned
Metal-Geo said:

Thats kinda what they were trying to do for rage was to get megatextures to fit within console restraints. they even licensed microsoft's image compression format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XR

and then more efficiently utilize them by using gpu cycles for decompression. i dont think they've said much about doom4 but would make sense that its a much more corridor experience. what they have said is that its going to run 30fps on console which means they're going to have all those fancy graphics effects other games have on top of mega textures.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Metal-Geo said:

Shamelessly pinched from Wikipedia:

1) Neither a sequel to Doom 3 nor a reboot
2) It may be set on Earth and offer gameplay akin to that of the earlier Doom games as opposed to the horror-styled gameplay seen in Doom 3
3) 30fps on consoles, 60fps on PC (hardware permitting)
4) The wait for the game will be "shorter than first thought"

NBtoaster said:
Also, does Steam charge pubs/devs for bandwidth used? Could be another factor in not wanting outrageous sizes.

Nope. Valve foot that bill.

derFeef

NBtoaster said:
Megatexture as used in Rage creates big, big game sizes, Rage compressed them to hell to get down to 22GB. You want better physical distribution methods and less constricting ISPs to get real improvements. Much of the world still has very slow internet and bandwidth caps. 22GB is already too much for me, it's a quarter of what I get a month.

Sure sure, but I see bluray on PC as another hinderness factor (so far), not a solution.
I don't think multidisc is a problem really.

Woo, just picked up my PC copy

Something very nostalgic about installing another id game on mah PC (or installing games period since I went strictly Steam)....then again, the last game was DoomIII =P

luxarific

Nork unification denier
slasher_thrasher21 said:
At the start I truly felt the following "What the fuck is going on?", "Who are these people?", and "Well what choice do I have?" When I placed myself in the shoes of the nameless character and asked myself, what would I do in a situation like this? First would be to survive, and second to try and adapt to ways of life asap. So while at first I questioned why I would just help someone that saved my ass and not ask any questions, on second thought, what else could I really do on a asteroid torn planet? Go wander alone and possible get slaughtered? The answer was obvious. Help these folks out. Once I started thinking this way, and thinking about myself in the situation, I found myself getting more into RAGE and the Universe ID created.

i-rMx83pR-L.jpg

Yay voiceless player-character. Yay. :(

I know others have said this...but my god we need some deathmatch on this game. I would play the hell out of it, even with BF3 coming out.

Solo

JaseC said:
Shamelessly pinched from Wikipedia:

1) Neither a sequel to Doom 3 nor a reboot
2) It may be set on Earth and offer gameplay akin to that of the earlier Doom games as opposed to the horror-styled gameplay seen in Doom 3
3) 30fps on consoles, 60fps on PC (hardware permitting)
4) The wait for the game will be "shorter than first thought"

5) It will be fucking awesome.

eek5

Prodigal said:
Is there any way to cheat the knife mini-game? lol

Maybe if I killed my framerate it would go slower
On console you can pause right when you stab to see where the next one will be. I read a lot of people having limited success with that method but a bunch of people still not being able to do it. The last round is random sequence so I didn't even bother since I know I won't be able to do it.

raiot

Why is it universally accepted that some games have silent protagonists and another time it is used to bash a game... :(

Maybe missed something, one thing that feels really weird, silly or as an oversight but its not a big deal: We are not killing any women in the game.

Women have the same right to be killed in videogames as any other male characters. I could understand not seeing any female mutants when yo go to merciless slay them, but in the cases of human clans, what do these guys do in the hideouts, bats and balls conventions? I think the silent protagonist is being send there to take the guys out of the misery of living the women less live.

Or like i said missed them but its really funny to think about it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Refreshment.01 said:
Maybe missed something, one thing that feels really weird, silly or as an oversight but its not a big deal: We are not killing any women in the game.

Women have the same right to be killed in videogames as any other male characters. I could understand not seeing any female mutants when yo go to merciless slay them, but in the cases of human clans, what do these guys do in the hideouts, bats and balls conventions? I think the silent protagonist is being send there to take the guys out of the misery of living the women less live.

Or like i said missed them but its really funny to think about it.
Heh, I suspect the thought never even crossed their minds.

Mr_eX

16 hours in and still haven't finished. Last mission I did was the power plant, I'm probably close to the end but I still have 2 sewers, races and the job board in subway town to do.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't really care about a voiceless MC, I care about being forced into doing shit. "Hey shoot these guys for me, please?"

"No fuck you!" *runs along to wellspring*

GrayFoxPL said:
Textures are shit either way, loaded or unloaded. Few times I stood still waiting for a texture to load only to realize it was already loaded.

I don't agree this game is some special achievement on ps3. Texture vise it's one of the ugliest this gen, level of geometry is also kinda low in an actual level. The thing that sets it apart is ok art, enemy behavior and gunplay. 60 fps is sweet but mw2 also had this and looked better. Any other 60fps game looks better regardless of genre.

Game plays great, it's just not that pretty. Megatexture is kinda shit tech from my Rage experience.

Well, MW2 isn't really a 60fps game... It's running somewhere between 35 to 60 (and most of the time below 60), while it's a solid 60fps for Rage.

And Rage is offering us a really unique look, so different from everything else, with its unique textures. I find it beautiful. I really can't think of many 60fps games that look better...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
60 fps is sweet but mw2 also had this and looked better. Any other 60fps game looks better regardless of genre.
I think Rage looks quite a bit better, personally, but more importantly, the Call of Duty games absolutely DO NOT hold 60 fps. They drop constantly while playing. Still responsive, but definitely not consistent. Rage holds 60 fps 99% of the time, which is quite a feat.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Gvaz said:
I don't really care about a voiceless MC, I care about being forced into doing shit. "Hey shoot these guys for me, please?"

YOU MUST BE JOKING?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SuperMalo said:
Just beat the game and I agree with what most people have been saying here that the final level is bad. No final boss, monster closets and I felt it was short. Overall I did like the game a lot. The gunplay was fantastic, the car combat was fun and I love the art direction. Hopefully there is a rage 2 and it doesn't take as long as Rage to come out.
You know what blows me about the last level? IT LITERALLY HAS MONSTER CLOSETS!

CLOSETS WITH MONSTERS INSIDE! Future closets, mind you, but closets all the same! It's almost like they were trolling gamers that complained about them in Doom 3.

Gvaz said:

You bought the wrong game, then.

pakkit

Banned
CozMick said:
Megatextures have no place in video games imo.
As a proof of concept, RAGE is beautiful. The amount of care poured into each environment is unrivaled. Next generation, when the hardware can support higher-resolution textures, megatextures could be tantamount to creating a world that is thought up room to room instead of block by block.

The way this game changes lighting and ambiance from arena to arena really is striking. I feel like I did playing Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2. We're experiencing technology for the future on the platforms of today. I'm really excited for what id (and hopefully other Bethesda teams) can push out with id tech 5.

pakkit said:
As a proof of concept, RAGE is beautiful. The amount of care poured into each environment is unrivaled. Next generation, when the hardware can support higher-resolution textures, megatextures could be tantamount to creating a world that is thought up room to room instead of block by block.

The way this game changes lighting and ambiance from arena to arena really is striking. I feel like I did playing Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2. We're experiencing technology for the future on the platforms of today. I'm really excited for what id (and hopefully other Bethesda teams) can push out with id tech 5.

I'm playing on 360 and can't believe what I'm seeing sometimes. Look too close and you may see a mess but when I'm moving and going about doing my gaming thing I'm just blown away.
I've beat the game so I've just about seen the whole world but I was messing around in the Wasteland last night near Crazy Joes and what I was seeing and at 60fps was a CONSOLE graphic whores wet dream.

Bumhead

Banned
PaNaMa said:
I wonder how well its selling

It beat out Dark Souls to be the second best selling game last week here in the UK. Second only to FIFA 12 which is absolutely no mean feat over here at this time of year.

I think it'll sell well.

So I installed this yesterday, played for a few hours and I'm having a blast (the games shooting mechanics and enemy AI / animations are top notch) however I have a question:

I put my texture size to Large however it doesn't seem to look like some of the pictures posted, am I being crazy or should I still go in and mod the textures?

AEREC

Marco1 said:
Loving this on xbox360 and can't help but feel that bioshock infinite would look and play great with this engine.

No thanks...RAGE is pretty light on extra effects and feels pretty static. I really hope it's not used in any other game, until they add proper physics and lighting.

I think a point and click adventure with pre-placed interactive items would suit this engine more.

Top Bottom