• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Locke_211

Arcipello said:
btw how do you access the DLC? i see the sewer entrances dotted about but can never enter them :(

That's probably the exit to the sewers. There should be one somewhere very near to each one you can't go through, which is the entrance.

There's one right by the ramp leading out of the area where your Arc was, with the guy who helped you at the start standing there by a stall to point it out for you.

Metal-Geo

FuttBuck said:
I put my texture size to Large however it doesn't seem to look like some of the pictures posted, am I being crazy or should I still go in and mod the textures?
I think you mean 'texture cache'? ;) It's what decides the amount of pop-in, basically.

If you want a different texture resolution, you'll have to make use of the rageconfig.cfg.

GeoramA

This isn't hard at all on Nightmare. Just reached Subway town and I only had to use the defibrillator once so far.

Playing through it already probably helps, though. Especially as scripted as this is.

pakkit

Banned
I don't think the physics are a limitation of the engine, are they? RAGE cut corners in order to reach 60 FPS, but what's stopping id from incorporating a more dynamic lighting system and malleable physics engine in the next id tech game?

Metal-Geo said:
I think you mean 'texture cache'? ;) It's what decides the amount of pop-in, basically.

If you want a different texture resolution, you'll have to make use of the rageconfig.cfg.

Texture cache is what I meant, thank you good sir :) Ahh gotcha, okay I'll do that tonight.

Mr_eX

3chopl0x said:
Didn't the latest patch disable the rageconfig tweaks though?
Without the config I get black squares, with the config the game runs perfectly. So I would assume they didn't.

JRW

3chopl0x said:
Didn't the latest patch disable the rageconfig tweaks though?

Yea it did but apparently Matthew Hooper from id tweeted today they're working on getting those commands unlocked again.

Edit: Source

GeoramA said:
This isn't hard at all on Nightmare. Just reached Subway town and I only had to use the defibrillator once so far.

Playing through it already probably helps, though. Especially as scripted as this is.
Started this on nightmare and it's not really hard. Fetch, fetch, fetch gets old pretty fast though. Do like mutant bash but somehow there it always begins to stutter again.

Pimpbaa

CozMick said:
Megatextures have no place in video games imo.

Your opinion is wrong. Tiling textures will never look natural. Artists "painting" the landscape exactly the way they want as one big texture is both more natural for the artist and will have a far more natural look. When consoles and pc start coming with much more ram as standard and more space available on the media they use, then we will see this in almost every game (minus the current drawbacks).

Played 2 hours of PC version

Aside from occasional hitches/stutters associated with a PC spreading it's memory throughout an OS instead of completely optimized for the game ala a console, It's been VERY smooth.
Running TextureCache set to Large and I never see LOD pop-in. Game runs 60fps 90percent of the time @720p on my laptop which is hooked up to my TV.

This and motioninjoy DualShock3 implementation and I couldn't be happier! (^____^)

jett

D-Member
Megatextures is a technology for the future, or for a PS3 exclusive title. :p The resolution is barely even the problem, it's the compression which is just too aggressive on this game. The textures in Dead City are something that I have never in my life seen before on a video game. Holy macroblocking Batman.

Although to be honest texture variety isn't really a problem for the high quality AAA games. I look at something like Uncharted 3 and I never think "it could use more textures here and there". But it's definitely something that artists would love.

Salsa

got this today thanks to a master ninja

JOx2N.jpg

7yUDq.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics

decent stuff actually, guess i'll read a summary of the other 2 parts online.

Finished Dead City last night. LOVED IT. I was seriously running out of ammo and playing on nightmare, those one enemies take TONS of shots to kill. I made it though. Phew!

Phife Dawg said:
Started this on nightmare and it's not really hard. Fetch, fetch, fetch gets old pretty fast though. Do like mutant bash but somehow there it always begins to stutter again.

I really do wish Nightmare would turn off the defib or something, but that'd kill a certain mission. Maybe just add more enemies, up weapon damage, I dunno. It's fantastic, but I need a greater challenge. I'm no pro, either, so no strokeage of e-peen here.

pakkit

Banned
Just finished the game. Clocked in ~17 hours. Loved it.

The game is FULL of nagging little details that weight the product down. And yet, it manages to be better than the sum of its parts and has the best console shooting I've e'er experienced. It really does feel like a PC game running on a console, built for console, and played best on a gamepad (aiming excepting, as always).

Owzers

i started it today for ps3 and things i don't like:

1) Texture loading, not just when you enter an area, but when you turn your head from side to side.

2) saving your game manually all the time, i'd like checkpoints because i don't like pausing my game, saving, waiting 20 seconds, playing again. Ideally you'd have manual saving along with frequent auto saves.

3) I'm bad at first person shooters and suck at this game so far, basically fast moving enemies who roll and jump right at you. On a harder than normal difficulty i'd be destroyed.

I'll play some more tomorrow, i nitpicked a bit too much with my initial start and will see how i progress.

Wallach

Prodigal said:
Do you get a reward for cleaning the sewers on the 2nd go around? I finished one but didn't seem to get anything.

You get paid as soon as the quest completes, which is whenever the last mutant in the sewer dies the second time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prodigal said:
Do you get a reward for cleaning the sewers on the 2nd go around? I finished one but didn't seem to get anything.
For me the reward was getting to kill more mutants with the amazing feeling shotgun. That was all I needed.

Stallion Free said:
For me the reward was getting to kill more mutants with the amazing feeling shotgun. That was all I needed.

I'm a Wingstick/Shotgun/Crossbow kinda guy. The shotgun for patties, the wingstick for steak and the crossbow for shishkabobs. The weaponry is id's finest yet. Blasphemy for some, given the Q3 days, but the coup came with the wingsticks for me.

Salsa

holy fuck at the mutant expansion mission (first one you do for the mayor on subway town) on nightmare, most fun ive had with a shooter this gen.

SalsaShark said:
holy fuck at the mutant expansion mission (first one you do for the mayor on subway town) on nightmare, most fun ive had with a shooter this gen.

I'm perhaps in no position to talk about difficulty, because I'm just getting to Dead City. Thus far, it's been a little bit on the easier side (still a nice challenge, mind you). So, bring on the swarms!

Been taking it really slow thus far. Hopefully can slot a few hours in over the weekend.

Salsa

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'm perhaps in no position to talk about difficulty, because I'm just getting to Dead City. Thus far, it's been a little bit on the easier side (still a nice challenge, mind you). So, bring on the swarms!

Been taking it really slow thus far. Hopefully can slot a few hours in over the weekend.

its not hard to take down a particular enemy, specially since you have the wingsticks, but its just so god damn FUN.

I think the most added "difficulty" nightmare provides is that you go down in 2 or 3 blows, but yeah something something defibs.

just the feel of the guns + enemy animation makes the whole thing shine like a motherfucker. Its not just strafe and shoot, these guys in swarms can move way too fast and unexpectedly. This game is glorious and i really cant wrap my head around why some people dont like it BECAUSE of some of the aspects i like the most (people saying guns arent powerful, dude saying enemy animation is crap). Im just guessing people are giving up too early or something; stick with it. Game is fantastic and it never hits a low-point once you start IMO, so far it keeps getting better as you go.

Gvaz

Banned
The Dead City boss fucking frustrated me.

If you don't lock on and fire at exactly the right second on his chest, the rocket goes right through him and it shouldn't :(

SalsaShark said:
its not hard to take down a particular enemy, specially since you have the wingsticks, but its just so god damn FUN.

I think the most added "difficulty" nightmare provides is that you go down in 2 or 3 blows, but yeah something something defibs.

just the feel of the guns + enemy animation makes the whole thing shine like a motherfucker. Its not just strafe and shoot, these guys in swarms can move way too fast and unexpectedly. This game is glorious and i really cant wrap my head around why some people dont like it BECAUSE of some of the aspects i like the most (people saying guns arent powerful, dude saying enemy animation is crap). Im just guessing people are giving up too early or something; stick with it. Game is fantastic and it never hits a low-point once you start IMO, so far it keeps getting better as you go.

Well, it's pretty much made my action GOTY for two reasons - gunplay and art direction. And, to be honest, that's what I've always enjoyed about id games in the past. I can understand people going in with overblown expectations, perhaps encouraged by both Fallout and Borderlands painting a picture of what games of the ilk and artistic direction should be...but hell, I love it.

Weapon feel comes in ahead of Warhammer 40K: Space Marine for me, for different vibes but both in terms of BOOM.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I really do wish Nightmare would turn off the defib or something, but that'd kill a certain mission. Maybe just add more enemies, up weapon damage, I dunno. It's fantastic, but I need a greater challenge. I'm no pro, either, so no strokeage of e-peen here.
Some enemies can put you down very fast as is, I wouldn't want the game to turn into a wall/cover-hugging experience but it could certainly use some more enemies in some places. Maybe it's because it was tuned for consoles. I can see some enemies being pretty hard to fight on a pad.

pakkit said:
Just finished the game. Clocked in ~17 hours. Loved it.

The game is FULL of nagging little details that weight the product down. And yet, it manages to be better than the sum of its parts and has the best console shooting I've e'er experienced. It really does feel like a PC game running on a console, built for console, and played best on a gamepad (aiming excepting, as always).
The GUI is a mess for mkb, why can't I drag and drop in the menu, why can't I scroll through my quickitems, the menu panels, the shop pages etc.

tci

Decided to stop playing the game. Apart from the gunplay, the game is a mess. Consoles ruining another game for me :/

Pylon_Trooper said:
Well, it's pretty much made my action GOTY for two reasons - gunplay and art direction. And, to be honest, that's what I've always enjoyed about id games in the past. I can understand people going in with overblown expectations, perhaps encouraged by both Fallout and Borderlands painting a picture of what games of the ilk and artistic direction should be...but hell, I love it.

Weapon feel comes in ahead of Warhammer 40K: Space Marine for me, for different vibes but both in terms of BOOM.

*high-five*

Core mechanics are so addictive/satisfying in it. My favorite FPS in years!

also, those loadtimes on PC REALLY help the pace of the game. Things move quite a bit faster. It's glorious.

tci

Pylon_Trooper said:
Can you elaborate? Are you playing on PC or console?
Playing on PC.

My issues with the game:
- Textures are horrible
- Menues all togheter not suited for KB/M at all
- Things between the cities are uninspired and doesn't feel finished
- Quests are too linear

The gunplays is awesome. I would eat this game up if the "open world" aspect was thrown out and the missions was tied together.

Shearie

tci said:
The gunplays is awesome. I would eat this game up if the "open world" aspect was thrown out and the missions was tied together.
That's the one thing I hate about this game, the wasteland is absolutely boring and some quests make you drive the same path back and forth ad nauseum. The art direction is great and the gunplay is best in class but anything open world about this game really brings it down and that's in spite of the driving mechanics being pretty fun.

Games like Rage really should have missions where you can be a bounty hunter and hunt down bandits etc. I can't see how hard that would be to implement and it could be done dozens of times over, possibly infinitely and you stop only once you're sick and tired of doing the bounty's. At least then it would break up the linearity of the game. Perhaps it could be added as a mod or some such?

Locke_211

I found the job board missions in Subway Town kind of interesting. They all seem to be just returning to the place you've just been, but with new enemies and a slightly different route through the level. I get the sense from this that they didn't have the time to make as many locations as they wanted and so thought how to get the most gameplay from the limited number that were already there. It's a testament to how fun I find the basic gameplay that I didn't mind this at all! But then you get a random optional mission that gives you a completely new location. I feel there was meant to be more like that.

The one thing I'm finding infuriating is the ralley races. They just seem complete chance, since there's no way you can work out where the next point is going to spawn and so there's no real strategy other than driving around and hoping you're in the right place at the right time. The other races are all fun, but pretty easy.

ram

just a quick question: the apophis infusion should max out your health. doest it have any real affect on the game? because health is more or less rechargable?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only health item I used was a single bandage, and that was very early in the game when it prompted me to do so. The health items, defib. upgrades aside, are practically useless.

tci said:
Playing on PC.

My issues with the game:
- Textures are horrible
- Menues all togheter not suited for KB/M at all
- Things between the cities are uninspired and doesn't feel finished
- Quests are too linear

How are these console issues? Seriously, I don't get that. The Menu thing, fine, I suppose. But everything else is a decision made during development, including the quality of the textures (which is a result of the tech - PC driven tech, I should add). It's fine if you don't like the game, but I really fail to see how it's the fault of the console.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
whatevermort said:
How are these console issues? Seriously, I don't get that. The Menu thing, fine, I suppose. But everything else is a decision made during development, including the quality of the textures (which is a result of the tech - PC driven tech, I should add). It's fine if you don't like the game, but I really fail to see how it's the fault of the console.

No, the horrible textures are not a direct fault of the underlying technology; rather, id's desire to have the textures be equal across all platforms as well as the SP campaign needing to fit within 2 X360 DVDs meant the textures had to be horribly compressed.

The PC and indeed the PS3 releases could have been, say, 50GB and sported far greater textures if it weren't for either id's insistence on cross-platform equality or the X360's reliance on DVD.

commissar

Locke_211 said:
The one thing I'm finding infuriating is the ralley races. They just seem complete chance, since there's no way you can work out where the next point is going to spawn and so there's no real strategy other than driving around and hoping you're in the right place at the right time. The other races are all fun, but pretty easy.
Rally race points actually spawn in a particular order.

However, as everyone is going for them, people who are behind the pack can get to the reset points a lot faster than those running the inital round.

Which means it cycles as the ai get them. So I would get the second to last and then let others pick up the final one while I sped towards the reset point to loop round and get another four of them :]

Also I noticed the AI doesn't really rubberband which was nice.
I've been able to get far enough ahead that no one can target me for rockets, and stay that way for the whole last lap :]

Top Bottom