• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Beat the game last night, I must echo the wtf at the ending. Hopefully we see a sequel or even some DLC that continues the story. Loved the game though and I will be playing through it again soon without a doubt.

tci

whatevermort said:
How are these console issues? Seriously, I don't get that. The Menu thing, fine, I suppose. But everything else is a decision made during development, including the quality of the textures (which is a result of the tech - PC driven tech, I should add). It's fine if you don't like the game, but I really fail to see how it's the fault of the console.
Imagine the possibillites of this was a PC only release. You can see they have limited the game in size because of memory issues. Not just textures.

Solo

JaseC said:
The only health item I used was a single bandage, and that was very early in the game when it prompted me to do so. The health items, defib. upgrades aside, are practically useless.

Indeed. The defib is kind of game-breaking, lolz. Thing is, the game is so fun that you end up not caring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
Indeed. The defib is kind of game-breaking, lolz. Thing is, the game is so fun that you end up not caring.

Agreed. Death being of no concern simply means the road to shooting shit is less bumpy.

eshwaaz

tci said:
Imagine the possibillites of this was a PC only release. You can see they have limited the game in size because of memory issues. Not just textures.
If Rage were a PC-only release, the mission design would still be uninspired with no sense of progression or cohesion. It would be a better-looking game, but likely not a markedly better game when it comes to substance and design. For my tastes, the biggest shortcomings of Rage are not tech related.

tci

eshwaaz said:
If Rage were a PC-only release, the mission design would still be uninspired with no sense of progression or cohesion. It would be a better-looking game, but likely not a markedly better game when it comes to substance and design. For my tastes, the biggest shortcomings of Rage are not tech related.
Depends on how much time they spent on making the game multiplat... For me most problems are tech related, as I see it.

Beaulieu

I rented this game and damn it's really bland and boring aint it ?
Fuckin linear, nothing new, go there shoot everyone come back, shit game really.

sillymonkey321 said:
i'm returning Rage to Gamefly, maybe i'll rent it again or buy it later for pc or 360 if they don't have this problem, the ps3 texture loading is giving me a headache and i don't want to play the game anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOnvJMb89o0

this is also hapenning on 360 fyi

Read through the Rage comics again and enjoyed them more. Helps not being sleepy. They're a nice prelude to the game and give more background on the Authority.

Also, thought it was cool when Cadence and Kvasir talk about their old days with the "U.A.C"

As in DooM 3's "United Aerospace Corporation"

I'm sure they're not connected (or are they!), but thought it was a neat little easter egg....

Bumhead

Banned
I've got to say I'm still loving the hell out of this game. I get why people don't particularly like the games structure, but it's OK by me. I quite like hub based structure. The different area's all feel like separately defined "levels" unto themselves which is refreshingly old school.

A question though, which I'll spoiler tag just to be sure:

I've played the game for 10 hours according to Steam and have just done the Blue Line mutant mission at the start of Subway town. Assuming I keep sidequests to a minimum (if I bother with any at all), how much more of the game do I have left?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sillymonkey321 said:
i'm returning Rage to Gamefly, maybe i'll rent it again or buy it later for pc or 360 if they don't have this problem, the ps3 texture loading is giving me a headache and i don't want to play the game anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOnvJMb89o0
What are you doing, standing still and looking for it? While actually playing the game, it really becomes mostly a non-issue. It's most visible in the first Wasteland area for sure, but most maps in the game don't suffer too heavily from it.

It does happen a bit more frequently on PS3, but it's very similar on 360 and even the PC.

Gravijah

the only times i ever actively noticed the texture loading was at the very beginning and recently when i entered
dead city

speaking of... my god that place is fun

kitch9

Banned
Just played an hour through dead city, died and realised I forgot to save and the game sent me all the way back the entire hour.

Don't think I'll play it anymore. Can't be arsed to do that again.

kitch9 said:
Just played an hour through dead city, died and realised I forgot to save and the game sent me all the way back the entire hour.

Don't think I'll play it anymore. Can't be arsed to do that again.

Harden up, my fine friend. Rage owes a man nothing! Any excuse to hurl more wing sticks. ;)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finished the game at 19hrs. I skipped the optional races in Subwaytown but did pretty much everything else.
The last level was...ya just meh.. very anticlimactic. I think they were going for some sense of urgency but it really fell flat. I just used 2 sentry bots and Plasma gunned thru it in 10mins.
I really did like the CG intro/outro but they needed to have more ingame NPC characters along with you in the background to liven up the world during combat to get any kind of tension and scope across..like the Priest in Ravenholm in HL2 for example, NPCs like that would have really upped the sense of the Rebellion fighting the Authority.

Overall beside that I really enjoyed the game..id's still the best at making shooters that are just intense and Fun to play. The weapon feel, the controls, all just sublime.

Graphically, it has stellar Art direction as well each new set piece was fantastic.In this regard id really stepped up their game, its the first id game that each levels style fits in the world so cohesively and had such originality per area.

I hope the game does well enough they consider releasing a Higher Res texture pack to the wild. I think the low res textures are a bit of a "Cant see the forest thru the Trees problem" but there is no denying it would be better with them.

As far as a break down of score for me personally.

Story 6ish
Graphics 9ish
gameplay 10ish
Overall 8.5ish
(PC only..never tried console)
Glad I didn't wait for a 6month to 1 year cheap sale.

pakkit

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Dead City is awesome but holy fuck
Jackal Canyon
is so much fun, the zip lining is epic.
Indeed. That's my favorite level in the game, although the back end of the game is just chock full of great encounters.

It really hurts that this game doesn't offer a way to quickly select levels, especially considering that they run between 5-25 minutes tops.

I'd love some id bite-sized gaming, but the game doesn't allow me to pick the cream of the crop. Bleh.

Another con is that there are so many factions and enemy types, yet some of the best ones (Jackals, Authority,
Cyber Mutants
) you only encounter rarely. It's very rare that I play a single player FPS that clocks in over 15 hours and yet still feels incomplete. I want more and I want it now. :(

Haunted

It has a very handcrafted feel. That's precious. I didn't really notice this until after I revisited some of the first dungeons, but it's very apparent that every item and every architectural feature has been deliberately placed in the world. I'm guessing this is a result of both the megatextures technology and animating a lot of things by hand instead of letting physics take over like most other big budget games do.

I mean, this does have some serious drawbacks (most notably the static world, static lightning and repeating animation), but there's also a definite appeal to such an approach. You can't easily recreate this handcrafted feel in a game.

At this point (finished up Dead City), it might not be a landmark title like previous id games, but I'm glad the game exists.

derFeef said:
Why do this after release? Why not think of this during the last two or three years of development?

:boggle:

JB1981

dark10x said:
What are you doing, standing still and looking for it? While actually playing the game, it really becomes mostly a non-issue. It's most visible in the first Wasteland area for sure, but most maps in the game don't suffer too heavily from it.

It does happen a bit more frequently on PS3, but it's very similar on 360 and even the PC.

You bought the game on all three platforms??????

Haunted

SalsaShark said:
you could argue the same thing about any patch
Not when you have had that much development time and not for such basic and easily observable issues. It's not like this is something that suddenly popped up and was just overlooked in beta or something.

Haunted

Gvaz said:
Their in house testing probably didn't care
I'm sure the people in the trenches noticed, cared, but the issue still got waived because the upper echelon thought they could get away with it.

Hence Carmack's expression of surprise at the responses. Sounds like a massive disconnect with the PC fanbase going on. At least they're taking steps to rectify their mistakes, but still.

MrBig

JRW said:
"I'm implementing tri-combinatonic adherence to the texture transparency to enhance overall clarity" "What's that mean" "Sorry, gotta go!"

Just kidding I'm glad they're still working on improving PC version.
Not really, they basically just said they are giving you the option to resize the same compressed textures that you already have.

JRW

MrBig said:
Not really, they basically just said they are giving you the option to resize the same compressed textures that you already have.

Yea I'm curious if there's any hope in improving these textures, I'm guessing no? lol

z8uDh.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Clearly the game is trying to simulate a character who is farsighted, a bold choice if I do say so myself.

Hazanko

Banned
So, I got the game. I wasn't going to due to all the complaints but there was some good praise too and after hearing everything I really wanted to try the game out. I'm glad to say that I'm really enjoying this game. The graphics look amazing! I was expecting something far worse based on what people have been saying but it looks fantastic to me. I wasn't hyped for the game, I never even bothered reading any information about it prior to getting it so I came at it with a open mind. It's definitely different to most games this gen, has a bit of everything mixed into it.

I think it's great personally, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I do notice some texture streaming issues but it hasn't been happening that often, so far. It doesn't even bother me. It's hardly even a issue. Maybe because I tweak my sensitivity lower and can't turn around as fast? I was worried but I'm happy it's not a problem for me, on the X360 version.

Shame some don't like it, honestly can't see why personally.

Salsa

Haunted said:
Not when you have had that much development time and not for such basic and easily observable issues. It's not like this is something that suddenly popped up and was just overlooked in beta or something.

Eh, they had a long development time for a reason, not like they were just sitting around

the reason Carmack was surprised is probably because he mentioned textures would be like this about 10 times before, yet people were still baffled.

MrBig

Opus Angelorum said:
lacking in personality and atmosphere.
WHAT
The characters (while not having many of the aspects of real "characters") have more personality than in any other game I've played thanks to the animations, and, at some points at least, the voice acting.

The atmosphere is also astounding (boring desert that serves as a loading screen excluded). Feels like concept art in motion.

jett

D-Member
Can someone explain to me why is the texture quality so uneven? Shouldn't it be the same across the whole game? I think their compressor borked at some point.

25YES.jpg

This looks perfectly fine, not the highest resolution but it looks good. Then I turn around and I'm blasted with this hideousness:

pqXwX.jpg

Just...what the fuck

For all the issues with the textures - most of which I don't care about, as I can appreciate smudginess from a painter's perspective - Rage is far from a game built upon staid and stodgy coder aesthetic. Should have to use the ol' disclaimer, but here goes:

In my personal, non-refundable opinion.

Metal-Geo

On top of the mega textures, there's a 'stamp' feature. It allows for level editors to place countless of textures on top of each other (like pieces of paper on the ground, little rocks, etc...). So on the ground you'll occasionally walk into some detailed (relatively speaking) spots.

Despite all that, I think they decided a maximum resolution for the textures when they were compressing things. 256x256, perhaps? It looks good on small objects, like the sentry bot. But of course become hideously blurry when stretched over a wall.

Whatever the case, I'm having no problem not making such a big deal out of it all.

burgerdog

Stallion Free said:
No, it's shit. All the other types are fine though.
I just got to subway town and went to look at the racing events and most of them are rocket rally. So bad. Today marks the first day that I've played rage for over two hours and I don't want to stop. It finally clicked.

commissar

burgerdog said:
I can't be the only one who thinks rocket rally is absolute shit, right?
I think it's the most interesting of the races as it actually requires a little pre-emption, but why don't you like it?

Top Bottom