• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

GeoramA

My weapon of choice is the Settler Pistol + Fat Mamma ammo.

Scoring head shots with it, especially on authority soldiers, is some of the most satifying shit I've ever felt in a shooter.

pakkit

Banned
Wingsticks and Sentry Bots were my deployables of choice. The bots move so damn well (when they didn't hit an invisible wall that stopped their movement...) and the way they'd walk up to you and just stare blankly into your eyes was so...alluring.

Were there extra spots to use the remote cars to find secret areas? The loading screen suggested that there were, but I never found such areas outside of the one mission that required it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jett said:
pqXwX.jpg

dat jpg compression

Echoplx

Just finished off all the sewers in the first area (twice) adds a significant amount of shooting content to the game, which is awesome.

I started on Hard then switched it to Nightmare a few hours in. Will I still get the Nightmare trophy? It doesn't specifically state "Finish without change the difficulty" like most games do.

Thx

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
There are seven in the first area
I used the wiki

boo :(

guess i moved on, oh well.

;_;

edit: fuck.. now im doubting if i should go back to a first-wasteland save.. only did 2-3 missions on the second hub.

worth it?

Echoplx

You can travel freely from Wellspring to Subway Town after you do a few missions there, just go back to the blimp thing and there'll be a guy there.

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
You can travel freely from Wellspring to Subway Town after you do a few missions there, just go back to the blimp thing and there'll be a guy there.

oh nice, that's welcome.

CozMick

Banned
Finished the game last night, graphically it was very nice, textures were spotty in places, Jackal Canyon looks absolutely incredible but the story was completely underwhelming.

I expected nothing less so it isn't really a problem, just don't go buying it for the script.

Loved equipping the
BFG :)
.towards the end.

Also, anyone else get a "evolved wretch from Gears 1" kinda vibe from the advanced muties?

And finally, was it a technical restraint that a competitive fps multiplayer wasn't included?

Seems weird that the gods of online multiplayer failed to implement it.

Why is there no feedback?

There is a distinct lack of 'feeling' when moving around the world. No awareness of weight, tactile quality or any sense of placement.

Opus Angelorum said:

There is a distinct lack of 'feeling' when moving around the world. No awareness of weight, tactile quality or any sense of placement.

Works for me, and I've been known to enjoy the sludgy feeling of Bad Company, BF3 and Killzone. You're not getting spoiled by the smoothness 60FPS can bring, are you?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i don't get the lack of feeling your referring to.
The screen sways and you hear jangling when you sprint, then your gasping for breath.

You don't mean like GTAIV's sluggish inertia type thing do you? That crap needs to die a slow death, nothing sucks more then when your eyes are controlled by the speed of your torso.All FPS should be smooth and snappy.

As well Snap too cover systems are more frustrating then they are helpful. None of them have worked better then simply having crouch/jump and lean left or right.

Opus Angelorum said:
Played a few hours of this tonight.

Initial impression : A technical marvel lacking in personality and atmosphere.
I don't like this game as much as other gaffers, but I have to disagree with this statement. That's one thing I give RAGE. The atmosphere. They did a amazing job at it. Every stage has this amazing feel to it. Is like, once you enter a level, and get deeper in it. You feel like the level is telling you a story of what this place was, and what it has become. The combination of lightening and sound to this levels are the best I've seen in a long time.

nel e nel

burgerdog said:
I can't be the only one who thinks rocket rally is absolute shit, right?

The early rallys at Wellspring aren't too bad, because at least those have a predictable pattern on the course circuit. When you get to the goddamn Authority track at Subway Town, good god I almost broke my effin TV.

nel e nel

CozMick said:
Also, anyone else get a "evolved wretch from Gears 1" kinda vibe from the advanced muties?

Ha! I see what you're saying, but now that I think about it, they actually remind me more of the strogg from Quake IV

nel e nel

3chopl0x said:
Just finished off all the sewers in the first area (twice) adds a significant amount of shooting content to the game, which is awesome.

Did you find them all? I thought there was only 3 in the entire game, little did I know that was only half of them. :/

Good thing for my nightmare run, because with the added loot from those missed ones, I now don't have to shoot myself trying to complete that goddamn sniper mission protecting the waterworks engineers.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jett said:
Can someone explain to me why is the texture quality so uneven? Shouldn't it be the same across the whole game? I think their compressor borked at some point.

This looks perfectly fine, not the highest resolution but it looks good. Then I turn around and I'm blasted with this hideousness:

Just...what the fuck
Have you every played without having a negativity meltdown?
Every game (Product or work) has its good and bad things, you should try to focus on what you enjoy and not in the bad things.

Dont become the 'sharp knees guy' of gaming!! ;)

Sanic

I finally upgraded to a 1080p monitor (years late, right?) and the first game I tried was rage. Well, IQ was nice of course, but wow... I can really see how low res the textures are now. I almost prefer playing at 720p because they're so distracting.

jett

D-Member
Fersis said:
Have you every played without having a negativity meltdown?
Every game (Product or work) has its good and bad things, you should try to focus on what you enjoy and not in the bad things.

Dont become the 'sharp knees guy' of gaming!! ;)

Eh? I'm just pointing out a weirdness(that I don't really understand) in the texture quality. Where's the meltdown?

Soviet

Banned
Anyone did Obsessive Compulsive? I'm 129/130, but the last mission didn't triggered it. Do I need to do minigames or the field goals? Any definitive list o requirements?

GrayFoxPL

pakkit said:
How far did you get?

Up to second main mission in subway town, did everything in previous hubs.

I'll finish it someday probably, but I'm thinking of selling as it's still worth something.

Opus Angelorum said:

I prefer the smooth controls of this to something like Killzone 2. I don't struggle to walk around in real life and I don't need that sort of thing abstracted for me.

SeanR1221

5 hours in and still on the first disk.

That makes me happy.

I'm on the
well mission in Wellsprings
now.

Wonder how close I am to disk 2...

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
Its by far the BEST race type.

wat

rocket rally is fucking garbage. to be honest after 14 hours of play I've realized that the racing aspect of the game is really poorly realized. The racing AI is seriously horrible, all races are cake except for the rallies which are just poorly designed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
Its by far the BEST race type.

It's the only race mode that offers a modicum of challenge.

Edit: Not because of it being well designed, it must be said. The game mode is, well, the antithesis of every Valve game. "So, like, what if we did CTF and forewent any sense of formality?"

pakkit

Banned
jett said:
wat

rocket rally is fucking garbage. to be honest after 14 hours of play I've realized that the racing aspect of the game is really poorly realized. The racing AI is seriously horrible, all races are cake except for the rallies which are just poorly designed.
The weirdest aspect for me, is the lack of reward. You win...and that's it. You're transported back immediately to the hub city. Every once in a while some Marlon Rando on the streets will say "Nice race." There's no awards ceremony.

The racing is wholly divorced from the central game. Why? Why can't we visit the circuit, meet these people we're racing, or feel like we're part of some sort of underground sports league? The racing is there. And it's not even bad. But Rage doesn't do well at pointing gamers to its positives, it forces you to find the fun, and that to me is a sign of a scattered development run, and a lack of pacing or experience in developing adventure games.

Rage is the best FPS of the year, but Deus Ex and Portal are both examples of games that better realize their world and story and are better First-Person games for it (even though neither are technically FPS).

GrayFoxPL

pakkit said:
The weirdest aspect for me, is the lack of reward. You win...and that's it. You're transported back immediately to the hub city. Every once in a while some Marlon Rando on the streets will say "Nice race." There's no awards ceremony.

Glad I'm not the only one that expected a blowjob from Slick after the race.

Major disappointment.

Echoplx

Use the scroll wheel (or equivalent console button) to switch weapons.

Just curious, is there a 'Return to Jackal Canyon' type side mission or do you only get to go there once? If only once I'll be disappoint.

Top Bottom