• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Metal-Geo

thirty said:
How the hell do you shoot the machine guns on the buggy? I can only shoot rockets even tho I have bullets too.
If you have the buggy or the Hot Rod, you can only mount one weapon. Go to the garage and then "Tune" to switch between the machinegun and the rocket launcher.

With the Caprino and the Monarch you can mount all weapons. Just use the 'next weapon' (mouse wheel up/down) to switch.

3chopl0x said:
Use the scroll wheel (or equivalent console button) to switch weapons.

Just curious, is there a 'Return to Jackal Canyon' type side mission or do you only get to go there once? If only once I'll be disappoint.
I'm afraid you only get there once! A shame, really. The most beautiful map. And you pass right through it once. :(

Wallach

thirty said:
How the hell do you shoot the machine guns on the buggy? I can only shoot rockets even tho I have bullets too.

The buggy can only fit one weapon. You need a different type of car to equip both at once. You'll have to go back to town and put whichever weapon on the buggy you prefer.

Metal-Geo

DryvBy2 said:
So, I blew my vehicle up. I have a phone to call someone to pick it up. How do I do that thing I said?
Go to your inventory (tab?) and "use" the phone, which should be somewhere at the top. You'll be prompted with a message whether you want to get towed back to the garage for humptidum dollars.

I think...

Echoplx

Metal-Geo said:
I'm afraid you only get there once! A shame, really. The most beautiful map. And you pass right through it once. :(

Urgh that sucks :/ I'd be willing to pay for DLC that let's me go there again. One of the best maps in the game.

DryvBy

Metal-Geo said:
Go to your inventory (tab?) and "use" the phone, which should be somewhere at the top. You'll be prompted with a message whether you want to get towed back to the garage for humptidum dollars.

I think...

Dang, I can't believe I didn't see that before. Thanks!

jett

D-Member
Finally got Gold in all races. Rallies were a pain in the fucking ass, easily the worst thing about the entire game.

And for my troubles I got...nothing. :|

So, its been a few days and impressions are still all over the place. Even on GAF. Im still very curious about Rage, have been for ages, but Ive held off for a bit. So, my question for you who've played/finished or are still playing it, is it a good game?

If Im looking for a meaty single player campaign, with great environments, lovely art style, big world to explore and an interesting narrative, would Rage fulfill those needs?

Wallach

SpaceBridge said:
So, its been a few days and impressions are still all over the place. Even on GAF. Im still very curious about Rage, have been for ages, but Ive held off for a bit. So, my question for you who've played/finished or are still playing it, is it a good game?

If Im looking for a meaty single player campaign, with great environments, lovely art style, big world to explore and an interesting narrative, would Rage fulfill those needs?

Environments sure, art style absolutely, big world not so much, and there is no narrative. If you aren't in it for the minute-to-minute type shooting gameplay I think you shouldn't do more than rent it.

jett

D-Member
SpaceBridge said:

The first three it fulfills, but it doesn't have a big world to explore or an interesting narrative. What it does have is shooting bliss, not only is the core shooting is great, there's also great variety. 10 weapons, each with several different types of ammo, deployable turret sentries, deployable robot buddies, exploding RC cars, etc, etc. You'll wonder how you managed to endure every other ass backwards FPS game this generation, they'll pretty much be looking like straight garbage after Rage.

jett said:
The first three it fulfills, but it doesn't have a big world to explore or an interesting narrative. What it does have is shooting bliss, not only is the core shooting is great, there's also great variety. 10 weapons, each with several different types of ammo, deployable turret sentries, deployable robot buddies, exploding RC cars, etc, etc. You'll wonder how you managed to endure every other ass backwards FPS game this generation, they'll pretty much be looking like straight garbage after Rage.

Hmm. Interesting. Another GAF member described the world of Rage, and the quest structure/exploration as being similar to Zelda. Would you guys agree with that statement. I mean, Zelda feels open, but isnt really.

jett

D-Member
SpaceBridge said:
Hmm. Interesting. Another GAF member described the world of Rage, and the quest structure/exploration as being similar to Zelda. Would you guys agree with that statement. I mean, Zelda feels open, but isnt really.

It certainly is a lot like Zelda.

Metal-Geo

SpaceBridge said:
If you look at it very basically and barebone, you'll find RAGE resembles Zelda:OoT quite a lot. But with guns and cars of course. And barely any story whatsoever. :p

Metal-Geo said:
If you look at it very basically and barebone, you'll find RAGE resembles Zelda:OoT quite a lot. But with guns and cars of course. And barely any story whatsoever. :p

Funny enough, after playing OoT 3D, I realized that it was also bare bones story wise.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dany M said:
http://www.ag.ru/reviews/rage_2011

Has this been posted yet? It is a review that's a good summation of the game.

yeah, they did the same with Clear Sky review which was unplayable on its release in CIS. You had to press a button and "download a patch" to continue reading the review because it was in gibberish otherwise.

pakkit

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Yeah, like jett said, Rage is like Zelda with guns.

what

I played through Rage and as a shooter its one of the best in class. The AI is excellent. The visuals are excellent (your milage may vary depending on where your preferences lie. I love the hand-crafted feel, environments, and attention to detail throughout Rage). The weapons are relatively standard, but all feel fun to shoot and multifaceted thanks to an awesome ammunition system.

Weaknesses abound, however, and your enjoyment will depend on whether you're willing to roll with the flaws and keep shooting or not. The environment may not be interesting from a story standpoint, but every mission rewards you with side-missions or addition expository details if you hang out around the hubworld and talk to everyone.

In the end, I recommend owning it. Rage is longer than Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm, and shooting wise I enjoyed it more than either game (although Crysis 2 was a lot of fun as well, in the end I appreciated it more as a stealth shooter).

scitek

pakkit said:
In the end, I recommend owning it. Rage is longer than Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm, and shooting wise I enjoyed it more than either game (although Crysis 2 was a lot of fun as well, in the end I appreciated it more as a stealth shooter).

I've been replaying Crysis 2 with that new texture pack and I really like the shooting in that one. The feedback from the enemies adds a lot to it, but the guns in general feel so nice, and the ability to customize them puts it above Rage for me. Still liked Rage's shooting, too, though.

Just finished it. I was getting so very into it, it was building up very nicely, and then BAM
I defend my position in a server room, click three buttons and that's the final boss fight? WTF?

The characters in this game are fantastic, the art direction is amazing despite some blurry textures and the gunplay was awesome. But the whole experience can be summarized with one word: anti-climactic. There had better be a direct sequel, or this is just stupendously squandered potential. The world id created was pretty engaging, at least to me, but they didn't take advantage of that at all.
Didn't even confront or meet
General Cross
, Redstone was just whisked away, Dan Hagar never made a kickass return, there were no twists, nothing to do with the other ark's (except
waking them up at the end
) and the
resistance
missions were far too few.
Essentially, the characters were charming and fleeting, the world was shallow and gorgeous, and the gameplay was pretty damn awesome. Bring on a sequel!

I finished it yesterday and loved it. I was worried about getting a race I couldn't beat that I'd need to progress but they weren't that hard.

I didn't get to use my BFG ammo because the game ended rather abruptly when it did

eek5

ClivePwned said:
I finished it yesterday and loved it. I was worried about getting a race I couldn't beat that I'd need to progress but they weren't that hard.

I didn't get to use my BFG ammo because the game ended rather abruptly when it did
reload your last save and blow shit up man!

nel e nel

Soviet said:
Anyone did Obsessive Compulsive? I'm 129/130, but the last mission didn't triggered it. Do I need to do minigames or the field goals? Any definitive list o requirements?

If you go to the inventory menu, and tab over to the far right tab, it give you a fairly detailed list of what you have accomplished, and what your completion percentage is. You should be able to find what you are missing in that.

Pixel Pete said:
Just finished it. I was getting so very into it, it was building up very nicely, and then BAM
I defend my position in a server room, click three buttons and that's the final boss fight? WTF?

The characters in this game are fantastic, the art direction is amazing despite some blurry textures and the gunplay was awesome. But the whole experience can be summarized with one word: anti-climactic. There had better be a direct sequel, or this is just stupendously squandered potential. The world id created was pretty engaging, at least to me, but they didn't take advantage of that at all.
General Cross
, Redstone was just whisked away, Dan Hagar never made a kickass return, there were no twists, nothing to do with the other ark's (except
) and the
resistance
Essentially, the characters were charming and fleeting, the world was shallow and gorgeous, and the gameplay was pretty damn awesome. Bring on a sequel!

Pretty much my exact thoughts. At this point I'd rather them release a few DLC campaign chapters to finish it.

Soviet

Banned
nel e nel said:
If you go to the inventory menu, and tab over to the far right tab, it give you a fairly detailed list of what you have accomplished, and what your completion percentage is. You should be able to find what you are missing in that.
I have everything maxed on this screen :). I guess I have to do the mini-games too. And I'm already fucked, since the guy that plays guitar is already gone. Fuck this achievement.

Sorc3r3r

Pixel Pete said:

General Cross
) and the
resistance

More or less the same for me, but with the remarkable difference that the game was beginning to bore me, it finished perfectly in time from this point of view.

Sorc3r3r said:
More or less the same for me, but with the remarkable difference that the game was beginning to bore me, it finished perfectly in time from this point of view.

I'll admit, I was skipping side missions at this point also. I was chasing an epic end, and it never happened.

thirty said:
Anyone else that's played both getting a serious shenmue vibe from this game? Loving it
What in this game is giving you this "Shenmue" vibe? Very curious on your point of view on this. Same with the Zelda mentions from others. The vibe from RAGE, to me; felt like a "id" game, period. It was like a non-gothic Quake to me.

DaBuddaDa

ShinobiFist said:
Same with the Zelda mentions from others. The vibe from RAGE, to me; felt like a "id" game, period. It was like a non-gothic Quake to me.
Open overworld connected to self-contained "dungeons", and a couple of towns with NPCs that give you quests and/or items. That's pretty much where the Zelda comparisons end.

Played some co-op Legends of the Wasteland tonight with a friend and GODDAMN, it is amazing. I really hope some DLC arrives with more missions, but as it stands, it's one of Rage's best kept secrets. So smooth. So good.

Ricker

ShinobiFist said:
What in this game is giving you this "Shenmue" vibe? Very curious on your point of view on this. Same with the Zelda mentions from others. The vibe from RAGE, to me; felt like a "id" game, period. It was like a non-gothic Quake to me.

I think the Shenmue post was in the wrong thread and the Zelda remark was a sarcastic one...I see nothing whatsoever about this game that reminds me of Shenmue lol(besides maybe the NPC`s that look 10 times better then anything else in the game)

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I want to make sure that I complete all the sidequests so is there a place that lists all of them by each area?

Also, where do you find the sewers?

Any advice on how to get the 10 stealth kills with the crossbow achievement?

The mutants are always onto me as soon as i enter the room and the authority guys don't die with just one shot.

eshwaaz

Pixel Pete said:

General Cross
) and the
resistance
Great summary, and I agree. Just finished last night, and the game feels like it's just dabbling in many areas, ultimately going nowhere.

Characters end up being nothing more than means of activating quests - you may as well just be pressing a button on a terminal to get missions. There are no character or story arcs, none of these personalities end up having any relevance. As you mentioned, several seem like they're being positioned for bigger things, just to unceremoniously disappear, never to be seen again.

It's a fun game with great shooting and some gorgeous locations, but much of it ends up feeling like a tease.

jett

D-Member
You hear about it, you read about it, but nothing can prepare for how anti-climatic the ending is. Sigh. :/ I was having fun gibbing every single enemy with my hundreds of pop rockets though. It just needed a final boss or something. A shame.

I clocked about 17-18 hours, and did every side mission. Overall a great experience, the best FPS of this generation flat out. There's just so many ways you can tackle each combat scenario, it's really a lot of fun. I hope AMD gets their shit in order so I can replay this game again with a higher framerate. :p

Hazanko

Banned
Grr, the update not found error is annoying when I swap disks, hope it gets patched soon. Unless anyone knows how to fix it?

GeoramA

Beat it on Nightmare, such a blast. Normal is way too damn easy.

The places with a lot of mutants like the distillery and blue line station are where this game shines the most.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jett said:
You hear about it, you read about it, but nothing can prepare for how anti-climatic the ending is. Sigh. :/ I was having fun gibbing every single enemy with my hundreds of pop rockets though. It just needed a final boss or something. A shame.

I clocked about 17-18 hours, and did every side mission. Overall a great experience, the best FPS of this generation flat out. There's just so many ways you can tackle each combat scenario, it's really a lot of fun. I hope AMD gets their shit in order so I can replay this game again with a higher framerate. :p

Yeah. I still think the ending would be a great ending to a first or second act. Not the end of a game.

Hazanko said:
Grr, the update not found error is annoying when I swap disks, hope it gets patched soon. Unless anyone knows how to fix it?
I just got this yesterday and my buddy got it the day before. No idea what the deal is.

Top Bottom