• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Metal-Geo

GeoramA said:
Beat it on Nightmare, such a blast. Normal is way too damn easy.

The places with a lot of mutants like the distillery and blue line station are where this game shines the most.
Intense battlefield when you place both an advanced sentry bot and an advanced turret bot!
Rarely do I love 'defend this position for x minutes' parts of games. But holy Jesus. The Blue Line Station segment was satisfying as all glorious fuck.

I can't get over the beautiful graphics in Well Spring. The amazing art + 60fps makes it feel very CG like.

13 hours in and I like the game more and more.

Locke_211

The best places for the stealth crossbow kill acheivement are the start of the sewer levels. In each of them, you can get 2-3 stealth kills before the rest lock onto you.

vaelic

Banned
carmack latest tweet:

We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage.

http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/statuses/124916837791186945

Locke_211 said:
The best places for the stealth crossbow kill acheivement are the start of the sewer levels. In each of them, you can get 2-3 stealth kills before the rest lock onto you.
Thanks I'll give those a shot, I think I've only done one so far.

KePoW

Banned
Hazanko said:
Grr, the update not found error is annoying when I swap disks, hope it gets patched soon. Unless anyone knows how to fix it?

Yeah that's really annoying. Thankfully it only happens once really.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Corky said:
urge to purchase...rising.

I'd suggest waiting until you see the results of the patch.

It's a good game, though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
krameriffic said:
Really? Better quality textures are the difference maker?

Not really, not a dealbreaker but it would be nice to have better textures.

no angel

Just completed this, the ending was both abrupt and disappointing which was made all the worse by how much I enjoyed the actual gameplay. Overall really enjoyable though.

Grayman

vaelic said:
carmack latest tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/statuses/124916837791186945
We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage.

an on the fly upsample and detail? or is this a big fucking patch™

no angel said:
Just completed this, the ending was both abrupt and disappointing which was made all the worse by how much I enjoyed the actual gameplay. Overall really enjoyable though.

Left it open for a sequel if you ask me.

Grayman

burgerdog said:
Is Disc 2(subway town hub) really short?
It has the 3 best missions in the game but does seem shorter than the wasteland. Also I am not racer so I skipped on that in both areas and by the time I got to subway town I was over exploration, there is no mutant bash equivalent either. Make sure to check out the job board often if you want to do more stuff there, I got to the last mission then realized I had 3 new jobs in fun areas that showed up at some point.

Grayman

soulassssns said:
Left it open for a sequel if you ask me.
meh. the story didn't matter and all a sequel needs is more action. The last area was rushed for release or put in the hands of newer staff who were not as experienced as id at making levels like the rest of the game.

scitek

A friend of mine said he wondered how Rage would've turned out if they had just focused on the shooting aspect instead of the open world stuff. I said he needs to play Doom 3 to find out.

Grayman

scitek said:
A friend of mine said he wondered how Rage would've turned out if they had just focused on the shooting aspect instead of the open world stuff. I said he needs to play Doom 3 to find out.
Doom 3 has the sweet plasma gun but Rage has amazing hit reactions and enemy movement.

aeolist

Banned
Grayman said:
an on the fly upsample and detail? or is this a big fucking patch™
Rage stores the textures in a unique format and converts them on the fly because they had to have crazy compression to get the game down to its current size.

I imagine this is just an added option during the conversion process for people with CUDA support and/or fast processors. Probably they had the PC set up to convert the textures the same way the consoles were and didn't take advantage of the faster hardware.

GeoramA

Metal-Geo said:
Intense battlefield when you place both an advanced sentry bot and an advanced turret bot!
Rarely do I love 'defend this position for x minutes' parts of games. But holy Jesus. The Blue Line Station segment was satisfying as all glorious fuck.
Mutant Bash TV was awesome too. You put a couple turrets in the right places and you can clear a room in less than a minute.

$875 is my highest score on there so far.

White Man

I'm toward the end of disc 1 and at this point I really really like the game. My biggest nag is that there's no reason this game should have a jump button. I can not recall jumping being used significantly at any point in the game so far, and being able to jump makes the game's many, many invisible walls all the more annoying. If the game didn't have a jump button, you'd probably barely run into any of them. The absolute worst is that many of there invisible walls are placed to make it so you can't jump into places or onto things that are definitely within the bounds of your ability.

Metal-Geo

White Man said:
I'm toward the end of disc 1 and at this point I really really like the game. My biggest nag is that there's no reason this game should have a jump button. I can not recall jumping being used significantly at any point in the game so far, and being able to jump makes the game's many, many invisible walls all the more annoying. If the game didn't have a jump button, you'd probably barely run into any of them. The absolute worst is that many of there invisible walls are placed to make it so you can't jump into places or onto things that are definitely within the bounds of your ability.
Obviously it's there for the strafe jumping. Try it!
Edit: Actually, is strafe jumping easy to execute on a console?

Grayman

White Man said:
as a rebuttal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzT4KQX8S4&feature=related

invisible walls are terrible though especially when placed inside the live environment.

Salsa

White Man said:

strafe jumping, specially when there's a bunch of mutants.

Grayman

i had noticed that ramp jumping was in the game but had not gotten anything to the effect in that video yet. Next time I play I am going to hop around more.

I played this in co-op with Pylon Trooper last night... it was fantastic!

Super smooth with no connection issues or lag even though Australian internet is a hopeless joke. I can't believe no one else is talking about it. Very highly recommended.

So, just got to Subway Town can someone tell me in a non-spoilery way how much of the game is left? I'm hoping I still have quite a bit to go but I'm over 10 hours in and I don't think it still has much more in it, and since I read the ending is quite abrupt/anticlimatic I'm expecting it to end anytime now.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tony Redgrave said:
So, just got to Subway Town can someone tell me in a non-spoilery way how much of the game is left? I'm hoping I still have quite a bit to go but I'm over 10 hours in and I don't think it still has much more in it, and since I read the ending is quite abrupt/anticlimatic I'm expecting it to end anytime now.
You've set the right expectations for yourself.

MrBig

Tony Redgrave said:
I lasted about 5 hours once I hit the subway, but I did just about everything I could find to do.

Sanic

I'm enjoying my time with the game so far but haven't really been blown away. I like driving through the wasteland but most of the back and forth stuff in the hub sections aren't very compelling. Straight up levels could have potentially been more enjoyable for me.

I can't recall the name of it, but i've
just entered an Authority prison.
How far into the game am I?

Metal-Geo

Pandoracell said:
I'm enjoying my time with the game so far but haven't really been blown away. I like driving through the wasteland but most of the back and forth stuff in the hub sections aren't very compelling. Straight up levels could have potentially been more enjoyable for me.

I can't recall the name of it, but i've
just entered an Authority prison.
How far into the game am I?
I'd say you're nearing the
2/3

Sanic

Thanks, as long as I was more than half way. That would put me at around 10 hours, without any sidequests, which feels like fairly good pacing for my tastes.

Grayman

started another game and am running around kicking ass. Once the mod tools are out I hope someone can put together a score attack mode for all the "levels"

Sanic

Grayman said:
Once the mod tools are out I hope someone can put together a score attack mode for all the "levels"

Any recent info on this? I've found articles from earlier in the year stating the PC version would ship with id studio, but that wasn't the case.

I presume it's just something that will come at some point down the line?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pandoracell said:
Any recent info on this? I've found articles from earlier in the year stating the PC version would ship with id studio, but that wasn't the case.

I presume it's just something that will come at some point down the line?

Initially, id studio was supposed to ship with the game, then it was a matter of days after release, and now... who knows.

Grayman

id studio and 64bit executable are in an upcoming patch, i do not know if that is the next patch or not.
Poimandres said:
This game has the best feeling combat since FEAR. Finally, a game that doesn't force you to use iron sights every 5 seconds!
It is good but I would prefer if a lot of the guns had a pixel accurate first shot over a further range.

Salsa

Okay Jackal Canyon might just have cemented this as my GOTY.

If only Deus Ex didnt have those terrible boss fights..

nel e nel

Grayman said:
It is good but I would prefer if a lot of the guns had a pixel accurate first shot over a further range.

Future DLC should include a new weapon called the Nit Picker, and it shoots out doughy middle aged men that criticize your enemies to death.

Reversed

Been playing this on Nightmare for 2 hours. Seeing my awful results on DXHR in hard I cannot say I'm good at FPS, but this isn't as hard as I expecte. Though, I've been hiding to regain health and shoot at targets constantly, and I'm pretty sure this game will crush me the moment enemies come from behind. :(

The AI is heavily impressive; some death animations are kinda exaggerated but I'm not the one looking for realism in my games. So far so good (sans the texture popping).

Poimandres said:
I played this in co-op with Pylon Trooper last night... it was fantastic!

Super smooth with no connection issues or lag even though Australian internet is a hopeless joke. I can't believe no one else is talking about it. Very highly recommended.

Smooth as silk. Amazing experience. If DLC came in the form solely of more co-op maps, we'd be there day zero.

Top Bottom