• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stallion Free said:
Wait, there was no substance to Doom 3?
Apparently not. I'm not a fan of Doom 3, but I would never criticize its lack of substance.

Solo

John Romeo takes out full page ads to tell you he is going to make you his bitch, and fails hilariously. John Carmack is modest as heck and yet he succeeds at making you his bitch.

Solo said:
John Romeo takes out full page ads to tell you he is going to make you his bitch, and fails hilariously. John Carmack is modest as heck and yet he succeeds at making you his bitch.

Have you seen his judo moves? We know he could make us our bitch, no need for words.

thetrin said:
You can tell how old someone is by how much they like/dislike Carmack.

Funny because it's true.

Game will be awesome. It better have a preload though. The download is going to take an eternity on the connection i'm on at the moment.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Solo said:

That wasn't Romero. It was Ion Storm's PR guy. The 'John Romero Is About To Make You His Bitch' ad was the product of marketing people, not Romero himself.

CoilShot

Danne-Danger said:
I demand to know what Nightmare entails!

If it's not re-spawning enemies then I'll pick that first.
I might be wrong but isnt nightmare respawing enemies? Any one know for sure?

I want this game so bad but I'm in a situation with school and my finances where if I get it I'll be going a few weeks with ramen for dinner. Looking forward to seeing the reviews and the reaction from everyone on GAF though. That will determine whether I pick it up or not.

legbone

Optimus Lime said:
That wasn't Romero. It was Ion Storm's PR guy. The 'John Romero Is About To Make You His Bitch' ad was the product of marketing people, not Romero himself.

yep. didn't romero practically make a public apology for this. he was basically talked into it by the ad guys.

Praetorianer

Neo Member
Optimus Lime said:

Yep. Although he admits being partly responsible for the campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQMtVbz_JuE

From around 7:00 onwards. Cool interview btw., worth a watch. "Sabotage! [...] Still it was more fun to make than Quake."

//Oh and the other Matt Chat episodes with Romero are interesting as well.

PaleFolklore said:
I want this game so bad but I'm in a situation with school and my finances where if I get it I'll be going a few weeks with ramen for dinner. Looking forward to seeing the reviews and the reaction from everyone on GAF though. That will determine whether I pick it up or not.
Ramen is godlike, do it and embrace dem high levels of sodium per package

p3tran

Banned
ok, those live videos you guys where talking about previous page.
Where are they??

and to kids that not know/respect carmack: shame on you. you dont deserve this game.

Praetorianer

Neo Member
Apparently those gameplay videos have been taken down...I watched the first one, but the second one couldn't be watched anymore. 3 hours of gameplay could be seen.

eshwaaz

Praetorianer said:
Apparently those gameplay videos have been taken down...I watched the first one, but the second one couldn't be watched anymore. 3 hours of gameplay could be seen.
I'm selfishly glad they got taken down. The release is so close and I don't want anything spoiled, but I'm also weak and likely would have caved and watched the videos...

Still love some of the names they got for voice acting...I mean John Goodman how could you hate that? He's the man.

Any talk of a Gaf group? Would be great to do some co op or raise hell in the vehicles in multiplayer.

Kydd BlaZe

Interfectum said:
please don't spoil breaking bad in this thread. ive not watched any of the current season yet. thx
Well you're in for a treat. This season has been nothing short of incredible.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Despite having a pretty good PC, I am going to get the PS3 version so I can play with friends, and, more importantly, so I can reward Id for making a 60fps console game.

Dyno

People are now catching shit for ad campaigns from nearly two DECADES ago?

My GAF brothas! We need to lighten up and let things pass.

garath

54-46! said:
Are all difficulties unlocked from the start?

From what I saw on the livestream - yes. Looked like all 4 difficulties were selectable. The guy was too scared to load up nightmare so I can't say for sure but it definitely looked that way.

I'm torn between hard and nightmare. I want to see what nightmare is all about. FPS games lately have been way too easy. Especially with regenerating health and the like. It was pretty refreshing to watch the guy take a wrong turn and get owned out of the gate. It was funnier to watch him have to replay the whole intro because he forgot to save.

Save often folks! lol

Bloodrage said:
Kind of like how the graphics are going north but the gameplay keeps moving south? We get it, Carmack knows how to work magic on completely muting an environment of any life and texture deletion while you aren't looking (you could actually catch them in the act of popping back up again if you move the camera too fast). A lot of this Carmack dick-riding comes from uh... yeah, I have no idea. Rage is walking that Doom 3 path of pretty graphics and no substance.

I'm not trying to be a Rage defense force here or anything but I'm really scratching my head at this criticism. I'm not even going to talk about the gameplay - I haven't played the game yet (though what I see in videos is enough to get me excited). However, how can you possibly criticize the textures and environments? You probably didn't catch the livestream but on the 360, without disc install he managed to create these sweeping, forever draw distance landscapes without a hint of pop in. He's managed to create something incredible that not only generates 60fps on consoles but runs on such low PC specs that I'm amazed. If it's deleting textures behind you, great! What possible purpose does keeping the textures loaded behind you serve other than wasting resources? I'm so confused by your criticism. It appears completely baseless.

DenogginizerOS said:
Despite having a pretty good PC, I am going to get the PS3 version so I can play with friends, and, more importantly, so I can reward Id for making a 60fps console game.

given that each SKU of the game is $60, id get less money from the PS3 version from the "console tax" ($10-$12?)

TommyT

Got Amazon to fix my release day shipping... Should be getting this game on release instead of a few days late now!

Tek

Any idea if Gamestop is doing a midnight release? I figured with Rage and Dark Souls...they might.

I took the 4th off because I had a floating holiday to burn...now I just need the 4th to get here. :)

Dyno said:
People are now catching shit for ad campaigns from nearly two DECADES ago?

My GAF brothas! We need to lighten up and let things pass.

Truth be told, I didn't mind Daikatana. Found it quite an interesting game. Not amazing, but a lot better than, say, another FPS that squeezed out of the bowels of development hell recently.

mrwilt

Solo said:

John Romero has beautiful hair. John Carmack has a beautiful Ferrari. Which one gets more girls?

charsace

Bloodrage said:
Kind of like how the graphics are going north but the gameplay keeps moving south? We get it, Carmack knows how to work magic on completely muting an environment of any life and texture deletion while you aren't looking (you could actually catch them in the act of popping back up again if you move the camera too fast). A lot of this Carmack dick-riding comes from uh... yeah, I have no idea. Rage is walking that Doom 3 path of pretty graphics and no substance.
ROFL what?

Tek said:
Any idea if Gamestop is doing a midnight release? I figured with Rage and Dark Souls...they might.

I took the 4th off because I had a floating holiday to burn...now I just need the 4th to get here. :)

Every store but the mall stores are doing a midnight launch in my area.

Been Carmack and Romeros bitch since '93. Been on a media blackout for this since its debut. Been scheduled off of work Wednesday the 5th for the past few months.

And Im all
105463659-fd0b4ae5aab9674cb0fb8046d4c01fb1.4bfb3d30-full_medium.gif

in anticipation

Top Bottom