• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pylon_Trooper said:
That Jackal Canyon gameplay assured me that indeed this is the game I wanted Borderlands to be.
Yeah, I do hope that Borderlands 2 ends up heading more in this direction than the health bar direction. The combat looks so tight here and the weapon impacts are appropriately violent.

RedSwirl

Okay, so can someone explain why RAGE is a big deal to someone who didn't grow up on id Software?

I very briefly played DOOM back in the day but actually had a phobia of FPSs back then, and still have somewhat of a phobia of FPSs of that era. I've never played Quake.

I understand that those were the games that defined the genre in their time, but does anybody really think RAGE will have a similar impact? Is it going to be more like those oldschool shooters and that's why people are excited for it? Or is it just the debut of idTech 5 that's got people excited?

When I look at RAGE I honestly don't see anything special about it (I've only seen one video so far in SD).

I'm going to rent the 360 version (or should I rent it on PS3?) and if I like it enough I'll buy the retail PC version (I'm not downloading 32GB on my data cap, plus it's Steamworks).

Grinchy

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Okay, so can someone explain why RAGE is a big deal to someone who didn't grow up on id Software?

I very briefly played DOOM back in the day but actually had a phobia of FPSs back then, and still have somewhat of a phobia of FPSs of that era. I've never played Quake.

I understand that those were the games that defined the genre in their time, but does anybody really think RAGE will have a similar impact? Is it going to be more like those oldschool shooters and that's why people are excited for it? Or is it just the debut of idTech 5 that's got people excited?

When I look at RAGE I honestly don't see anything special about it (I've only seen one video so far in SD).
Not every game is for every person. If you have to try that hard to want a game, it might just mean you don't want it. Save yourself $60.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I serously hope this game sells well....does anyone know if the preorder numbers are looking good at least?

DaBuddaDa

RedSwirl said:
It's not a big deal to someone who didn't grow up with id. It's just another great looking game sitting on the pile of other great looking games coming out the next couple months.

Zeliard

RedSwirl said:

I'm going to rent the 360 version (or should I rent it on PS3?) and if I like it enough I'll buy the retail PC version (I'm not downloading 32GB on my data cap, plus it's Steamworks).

Well for one thing, id games, more than all others in the genre, feel extremely good when it comes to controlling them. Very smooth, extraordinarily responsive.

Rage is something very new for them. They're typically an (absurdly good) multiplayer developer, with the exception of Doom 3, and now Rage. But Rage is apparently much more story and character-focused than Doom 3 and takes more cues from games like Half-Life 2.

So on some level you know what to expect from this, as an id game. On another level, it's new ground for them, which could be very interesting if they're successful.

RedSwirl

Grinchy said:
Not every game is for every person. If you have to try that hard to want a game, it might just mean you don't want it. Save yourself $60.

It's not that I don't want it. I just don't understand what it is and what it's trying to be.

Looking at the videos now, the graphics look pretty damn impressive, and knowing that's supposed to run at 60fps on consoles makes me feel optimistic about the PC system requirements. Otherwise though it mostly just looks like another Fallout 3. I guess I'll know when I rent the game. I'm just deciding whether to deal with an 8GB install on the PS3 or GameFly having to ship me three 360 discs.

Effect

RedSwirl said:
It's not that I don't want it. I just don't understand what it is and what it's trying to be.

Looking at the videos now, the graphics look pretty damn impressive, and knowing that's supposed to run at 60fps on consoles makes me feel optimistic about the PC system requirements. Otherwise though it mostly just looks like another Fallout 3. I guess I'll know when I rent the game. I'm just deciding whether to deal with an 8GB install on the PS3 or GameFly having to ship me three 360 discs.

Off topic but I never thought about this before. How does GameFly handle this? Do they treat a game that comes on multiplate disc as simply one game or can you only have one disc out at a time if that is what your plan calls for?

I was never into FPS growing up but I was aware of ID and the games they did. I also wasn't into horror much so that was another reason I didn't bother with them. Still I did understand at the time what they did for the genre.

In regards to Rage I just happen to be a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings. I enjoyed Fallout for that reason. The game simply looks interesting compared to the military shooter focus that is out there today. Being able to have multiplate weapons and different ammo types is interesting. The gore is interesting as well. Being able to go where you want without having to follow a solider in front of you is a welcome change. Overall the game just looks like it will be fun to play and it looks great graphics wise as well. What pushes me over the edge is the lengthy single player campaign. Anywhere from 15 to perhaps 25+ hours depending how much you explore, side missions you complete, die, etc.

RedSwirl

Effect said:
Off topic but I never thought this before. How does GameFly handle this? Do they treat a game that comes on multiplate disc as simply one game or can you only have one disc out at if that is what your plan calls for?

They treat it as one game but they ship each disc in a separate package.

garath

RedSwirl said:

It's a large world first person shooter with vehicle combat. It has main storyline missions and side missions but no RPG elements. Your character does not level or gain skills. You do have weapons you find and can upgrade and create special ammo for. There is an inventory and item crafting (turrets, ammo, helper spider robots, etc).

The storyline is that of a post-apocalyptic world which is detailed pretty well in the first post. It's basically a world gone mad.

The tech is phenomenal and the game looks like it plays very well for a first person shooter.

I understand there's some confusion with the style of world seeming very similar to Borderlands and Fallout but this isn't an RPG or even an RPG-lite. It's a first person shooter. The question "what's the game supposed to be" is kind of like asking what gears of war is supposed to be. It's a first person shooter :) This one just happens to be longer and has side missions.

And for anyone wondering what the hype is about, it's the same hype you'd have for any great developer putting out a new game that is getting a lot of positive impressions.

Effect

I wonder if id/Bethesda aren't to concerned if this doesn't does sell extremely well. Perhaps debuting id Tech 5 is more important in the long run. If the game is extremely solid, even with low sales, the potential adoption of the engine by others is worth more?

Not to say they don't want it to do well. Just maybe they aren't going to be too disappointment if it doesn't top the charts as there could be something more important they want to happen.

kyubajin

Effect said:
I wonder if ID/Bethesda aren't to concerned if this doesn't does sell very well. Perhaps debuting ID Tech 5 is more important in the long run. Perhaps if the game is extremely sold, even with low sales, the adoption of the engine by others is worth more?

Not to say they don't want it to do well. Just maybe they aren't going to be too disappointment if it doesn't top the charts as there could be something more important they want to happen.
If I recall correctly they won't license the engine to other companies outside of Zenimax.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Effect said:
I wonder if id/Bethesda aren't to concerned if this doesn't does sell extremely well. Perhaps debuting id Tech 5 is more important in the long run. If the game is extremely sold, even with low sales, the potential adoption of the engine by others is worth more?

I imagine idtech 5 showcasing is a big concern for them, since the Doom 3 engine was largely ignored in favor of UE this past generation.

I remember back in the day when id's engines were everywhere.

kyubajin said:
If I recall correctly they won't license the engine to other companies outside of Zenimax.

Wow, really? That's a surprise. Was this id's decision, or Bethesda's?

ElyrionX

I saw a review copy of the game being played briefly.

The graphics are jaw-dropping and the framerate holds up very well. Quite possibly the most technically impressive game I've seen this gen yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Solo said:
Serious GOTY contender, this will be.
I really hope so. That might get Id back on to a proper release schedule and we will see Doom 4 (hype) and Quake V (in the style of Q1? super hype) soon. I fucking love Id and every single one of their franchises, but this one game a decade isn't enough for me.

iavi

This game looks absolutely amazing, but I've also noticed that it's OST is sounding PHENOMENAL. That track in the Jackal Canyon trailer there, oh man.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gah, I'm still having a difficult time deciding between the console and PC versions. I recognize that the PC version will be superior visually (due to resolution), but 60 fps on the consoles is a rarity and the game is looking great. The collector in me wants to go console, but the PC version seems like the proper way to play an id game.

I have the PC version pre-ordered, however, and will probably stick to that. I'm so tempted to try it on consoles, though (as illogical as that may seem).

Smokey

DenogginizerOS said:
Despite having a pretty good PC, I am going to get the PS3 version so I can play with friends, and, more importantly, so I can reward Id for making a 60fps console game.

Dissapoint

Tokubetsu

Stallion Free said:
I really hope so. That might get Id back on to a proper release schedule and we will see Doom 4 (hype) and Quake V (in the style of Q1? super hype) soon. I fucking love Id and every single one of their franchises, but this one game a decade isn't enough for me.

I don't think we'll ever see another Quake in the style of the older games but I trust in Id to pull some shit off.

Solo

Tokubetsu said:
I don't think we'll ever see another Quake in the style of the older games but I trust in Id to pull some shit off.

id has thrown out the idea of Quake V being like Quake, but until they do it, those are just words.

Doom 4 will be next anyways.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Why Rage WHY do you have to come out on the 7th? It's like having to choose between my two kids, only that I have already made up which of them to sacrifice if the situation were to occur.

Interfectum

Corky said:
Why Rage WHY do you have to come out on the 7th? It's like having to choose between my two kids, only that I have already made up which of them to sacrifice if the situation were to occur.

I pre-ordered both. Rage has release date delivery so Amazon chose which one I would play first. :) DS will be a perfect Halloween game anyway.

LQX

RedSwirl said:

Why is this a question even worth asking? Its like asking why anyone cares about a new Spielberg movie. You should no many trust certain developers especially ones with a long history as id.

Skirn

Wow, that Canyon trailer just sold me on the game. Looks really fun!

Are there any RPG mechanics in the game, like upgrades?

Solo

Wallach said:
Going to be a hard year for me to pick one when voting comes around. Such a better year for gaming than last year.

Its shaping up to be the best year ever for my personal tastes. The Witcher 2 is a top 5 all-time game for me (if not higher), DXHR would be GOTY in many lesser years, Rage looks fantastic, Dark Souls looks amazing, Batman AC is the sequel a previous GOTY, Uncharted 3 looks boss and Skyrim looks fucking aces.

Provided all these games deliver, screw 1998 or 2004, 2011 will be the best year ever in gaming for me.

Stallion Free said:

The mere thought is making me salivate.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The fact that there is no deathmatch at launch is so disappointing. The whole setting seems tailor made for a proper follow up to the Quake/unreal DM experience :/

ironcreed

Banned
Fantastic new footage. The real Fall blitz starts for me next Tuesday. This, Dark Souls and Crysis all in one day. Goodbye life.

Top Bottom