• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

garath

GrayFoxPL said:
Looked bit clunky tbh. He couldn't hit the moving enemies on the bridge/line to save his life and that's for a trailer. I hope the dynamic was somewhere lost in this level.

He was using a pistol and shotgun from distance.

Does this game has on foot FPS in MP mode or just vehicular MP? can you get out of the vehicle and fight or no?

I hope there is FPS mode in MP cuz the shooting stuff looks great.

Wallach

garath said:
He was using a pistol and shotgun from distance.

Well, a pistol is definitely accurate at that distance; he was hip-firing with a large caliber pistol at a target moving perpendicular to him, though. At least it shows there's no shitty auto-aim at play.

garath

Wallach said:
Well, a pistol is definitely accurate at that distance; he was hip-firing with a large caliber pistol at a target moving perpendicular to him, though. At least it shows there's no shitty auto-aim at play.

True, plus if the earlier trailers are any indication, it takes much more than a single bodyshot from a pistol to take down the enemies.

Effect

TrojanBlade said:
Does this game has on foot FPS in MP mode or just vehicular MP? can you get out of the vehicle and fight or no?

I hope there is FPS mode in MP cuz the shooting stuff looks great.

Just vehicle based at the moment. If there is demand they said they might add a mode like that as DLC.

Salsa

I still cant believe that i'll have to wait til the 7 to play this even though there's a whole ocean between us and Europe.

Curses

Vire

That Canyon footage sold me on the game. And I've been a skeptic for a long time!

This looks like a better, more mature and well realized Borderlands.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
where is the cheapest place to get a steam version? i might wait for a possible winter sale. too many good games coming out :(

Cheapest I know of is intkeys for $35.

If anyone can find it cheaper, please let me know!

Guys, does anyone else have the inkling that one of the clans or towns is in cahoots with the Authority? Just watching some of these trailers really makes me feel like there is gonna be a huge swerve plot wise at some point in the game!!!

EvilDick34 said:
Guys, does anyone else have the inkling that one of the clans or towns is in cahoots with the Authority? Just watching some of these trailers really makes me feel like there is gonna be a huge swerve plot wise at some point in the game!!!

A great swerve would be that the authority are the good guys/only hope for the planet. Like a reverse Deus Ex.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
A great swerve would be that the authority are the good guys/only hope for the planet. Like a reverse Deus Ex.

Huh, you just blew my mind...i doubt that is the case but would be interesting.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
now what happens if this is a russian key? will it still activate on US steam? still be in english?

Pretty sure there will be no dramas regarding language and region locking, going from past experiences.

I'll let you know for sure once I activate my key.

Poimandres said:
Pretty sure there will be no dramas regarding language and region locking, going from past experiences.

I'll let you know for sure once I activate my key.

aight, cause i was going to wait since dark souls is coming out but this game looks too legit to pass up!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
maniac-kun said:
They really crushed the people that said id can only make indoor games with that canyon.
I feel like Rage's existence has a lot to do with id's notorious outdoor achilles heel on previous engine. Carmack really knocked it out of the park.

Wallach said:
He was quite obviously playing the PC version. I would be very disappointed if the PC version had auto aim.

Doc Holliday said:
The fact that there is no deathmatch at launch is so disappointing. The whole setting seems tailor made for a proper follow up to the Quake/unreal DM experience :/
I'm honestly ecstatic that they decided to concentrate on single player this time around. Not every game needs multiplayer to be worth a purchase. Considering the size of the game, the trade off sounds like it was well worth it.

Tokubetsu

thetrin said:
I feel like Rage's existence has a lot to do with id's notorious outdoor achilles heel on previous engine. Carmack really knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, I remember a few years ago closer to when they first revealed it, Carmack or someone high up at Id said something to the effect that RAGE exists in part to prove to people they can kinda step outside of their comfort zone. They brought in a new range of artists (some from EA or something like that) to really help them do something different from ground up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tokubetsu said:
Yeah, I remember a few years ago closer to when they first revealed it, Carmack or someone high up at Id said something to the effect that RAGE exists in part to prove to people they can kinda step outside of their comfort zone. They brought in a new range of artists (some from EA or something like that) to really help them do something different from ground up.
Considering that that has ALWAYS been id's problem, in terms of engine design as well as game design makes this an even greater achievement. I'm honestly floored by Rage. It's a pretty huge departure from what we expect from id. Considering how close to their strengths they usually stay, you can tell they really tried their hardest to make something truly awesome after stepping out of that comfort zone.

A lot of studios don't get enough credit for really stepping outside of their comfort zones and crafting something the company has never really tackled before, even if it's something as small as outdoor vs. indoor environments.

I don't think id ever had a problem with doing outdoors stuff, it is just what they got in a rut of sorts doing. Thankfully they are switching it up a bit with Rage.

On a side note, just pre-ordered RAGE, woot!!! They had better let us pre-install this, even with compression algorithims this is still going to be a beast of a download and i don't have the best connection, thanks greedy ass AT&T.

I'm curious to see what kind of map design differentiation they've got going with the multiplayer. I suspect there's as much an art to constructing large arenas for vehicular combat as there is for conventional FPS levels, just on a different scale and accounting for the vast difference in movement and speed.

Only a week, brothers.

Averon

The Xtortionist said:
Is the PS3 version's performance up to snuff? I'd rather not have to deal with 3 disks.

There were PS3 videos of Rage on Gametrailers recently. It ran great from what I saw.

Part of me wants to pick this up at retail because of the 25gb download. I'll have to see how the price compares to Steam in-store, knowing GAME it will be marked up completely.

Can't remember the last time I bought a PC game at retail so I have no idea what the prices are like these days.

Solo

Thats a large download. Oh well, Ill be at work from 8-5 anyways, so Ill start the Steam d/l before work, and by the time Im done work, it will be RAGE TIME.

Tokubetsu

Foliorum Viridum said:
Part of me wants to pick this up at retail because of the 25gb download. I'll have to see how the price compares to Steam in-store, knowing GAME it will be marked up completely.

Can't remember the last time I bought a PC game at retail so I have no idea what the prices are like these days.

Yea, I went with the retail version from amazon. It's steamworks anyway right?

Detox

Foliorum Viridum said:

I assume you're in the UK where PC retail prices are almost always cheaper than Steam except for sales obviously. It is £23.84 at Shopto with release date delivery or if you want to go with Amazon £25.70.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dmshaposv said:
Finally a RAGE trailer that shows some really fun gameplay.

I'm also liking the enemy A.I. in this. RAGE is shaping up to be id's best game, but can id's best in this day and age compete with the best in the industry?
What do you consider the best in the industry? A lot of shooters have become extremely scripted, linear experiences (ie Call of Duty). Rage certainly appears to be much more interesting than that series, at least.

Effect

Foliorum Viridum said:

This is why I believe digital won't be taking over for a long time. Games are just getting larger and larger. The cost of high speed isn't going down either if you want a high bandwidth cap, especially in the US. Perhaps it's different outside of the US.

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon, the PC version, but I wish I could see a review before paying for it. I guess I could always return it as long as I dont open it. Still I would just like a tiny bit of reassurance this isn't a mistake in the end.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I went retail because Newegg had a deal for like 12$ off and the disks will save me some trouble down the road when I want to replay it on a whim.

garath

I only went Amazon because:

a) Had a promo credit and I honestly don't believe in paying console price for a PC game
b) It's steamworks
c) I have prime and got free release day delivery

I have a good internet connection and would almost always prefer the digital option. Though 25gigs is getting up there. I seriously hate installing games from DVD so I may even download it anyways.

I do have a 250gig soft cap per month but even downloading a couple games a month I barely break 50gigs on average.

Top Bottom