• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Grayman

Reversed said:
Been playing this on Nightmare for 2 hours. Seeing my awful results on DXHR in hard I cannot say I'm good at FPS, but this isn't as hard as I expecte. Though, I've been hiding to regain health and shoot at targets constantly, and I'm pretty sure this game will crush me the moment enemies come from behind. :(

The AI is heavily impressive; some death animations are kinda exaggerated but I'm not the one looking for realism in my games. So far so good (sans the texture popping).
Nightmare is a fairly easy game. For recent single player shooters Hardreset on normal is more difficult than Rage on Nightmare. This would be true even if you elected to load a level again after being resurrected by the defib.

Grayman

subversus said:
bodes well for Quake
fun fact: rage is more difficult to trick in because it does not have "jump lock" where holding jump in the air causes another jump immediately on hitting the ground.

I am not great at trick jumping but today I left the atv in haggarville and was able to get up to what seemed like 700 UPS by holding sprint and strafe jumping across the wasteland. I wasn't able to get ramp jumping down like the video though.

Grayman

White Man said:
That's hardly a rebuttal! Doing that without competitive multiplayer is basically masturbation, and if I'm going to do that I'd rather just masturbate and\or see if Mama's Family is on.
Competitive multiplayer would make it worthwhile but it is still fun and at the very least makes getting around town enjoyable and faster.

Grayman said:
Competitive multiplayer would make it worthwhile but it is still fun and at the very least makes getting around town enjoyable and faster.
All true. Jumping to places is more fun than walking. The same is true for Half-Life 2.

Speaking of which, 4h into Rage I'd be hard-pressed to say which I like more between Rage and Half-Life 2 (episodes not included). Everything's just so super polished and there's a fuck-ton of stuff to do. I'm even enjoying the racing aspect of it which I didn't think I would.

I love the character models in the game. In most games, when you get closer to a character, the LOD starts kicking in and the model starts "morphing" to show more details. But in RAGE, the models stay consistent whether you're 200 ft away or up close and personal.

Tain

scitek said:
This is so far off-topic, but Hard Reset is getting a Survival Mode added with the next patch. For those wanting difficulty.

I was just thinking about how I wished this game was built around Hard Reset's idea of challenges. I like the weapons, animations, movement, and visuals more in Rage, but from what I've played of Hard Reset (the demo), I vastly prefer its checkpoint pacing. Need to play more of both.

Grayman

Tain said:
I was just thinking about how I wished this game was built around Hard Reset's idea of challenges. I like the weapons, animations, movement, and visuals more in Rage, but from what I've played of Hard Reset (the demo), I vastly prefer its checkpoint pacing. Need to play more of both.
Hard Reset has some brutal checkpoints in the full game. There are times when the multiple waves feel like they should have had one in the middle but don't or a small parking garage with 3 fights. There are end of level scores out of 1000 points but I find the levels being 15 minutes rushed too long for my tastes.

Einbroch

Banned
Just completed all the races. Question for those who beat it. I'm on my way to the
powerplant to redirect power
, how much longer is the game?

White Man

Danne-Danger said:
All true. Jumping to places is more fun than walking. The same is true for Half-Life 2.

These are dangerous thoughts. It's this sort of thinking that lead to dolphin diving.

(re: competitive multiplayer. If you count all the different sorts of crazy ammo, Rage has to be near the top of the mp list for number of weapons. That also would make it pretty natural for something TF-y. If there is DLC, I'd probably gun for more varied Mutant Bash sets--like a dozen new rooms that would randomize with each episode or more random enemy patterns)

Just echoing/reiterating my prior comment, you fellows who've not checked out Legends of the Wasteland with a friend...at least on PC, it's amazing. Cranked up to nightmare, it's a good challenge and really showcases Rage's strengths as 2011's premier FPS experience.

Grayman

Pylon_Trooper said:
Just echoing/reiterating my prior comment, you fellows who've not checked out Legends of the Wasteland with a friend...at least on PC, it's amazing. Cranked up to nightmare, it's a good challenge and really showcases Rage's strengths as 2011's premier FPS experience.
I have been meaning to get onto that. I am guessing the missions give you some weapons ammo and quickslot items at the start.

edit: as opposed to using one of each players saves.

3chopl0x said:
17 hours in and just started the last mission, It's in my top 5 of this year. So much damn fun.

That's awesome. Going by that "second take on Rage" thread a while back, you seemed not convinced, or at least apprehensive of the game in certain respects. Not that it needs validation or there's something to gain from such a turn-around, but it's nice to see a fellow be surprised and, moreover, satisfied.

Grayman said:
I have been meaning to get onto that. I am guessing the missions give you some weapons ammo and quickslot items at the start

It's mission-dependent, yeah. But there's pick-ups...in the first Legends mission, you'll find a particularly useful weapon within the level, as well as ammo types and the glorious wingsticks around and about. It's very straight-forward, but the most satisfying co-op I've had in a FPS since...shit...I dunno. Just polished to hell and back, with a great point-scoring system.

Salsa

well i gave up on doing everything since i realized you cant go back to the
authority prison
and im pretty sure i missed one card there. Really stupid that they make a 100 percent run obsolete like that by one simple mistake, really stupid.

Nearing the last mission i believe, think i'll be done with it tomorrow.

Locke_211

Finished it last night! Found the last level just as much fun as the others and didn't mind the enemies that some here have been complaining about. It fits with the plot!

Incidentally if you go down into the resistance base between Subway Town missions and keep talking to Elizabeth, she pretty much explains the backstory about the Authority and what they might be up to, which otherwise is only in the free comic that comes with the special edition.

Oh, the game took me about 17.5 hours. I did all the sewers and side-missions and about 3/4 of the races, plus got all the recipes and flying bot things, but didn't bother much with the gambling or card games.

Salsa

we played a bit of the co-op with Wallach and besides some minor conection issues (me being far away and all) its really damn good. They mix things up a good amount when you revisit SP areas, and its actually harder than the SP game and provides a really decent challenge! wasnt expecting it to be this good and fleshed out at all, nice surprise.

ibvCRwKaM3nkeM.png

i7mjYmm6qaP6g.png

areal

SalsaShark said:
Okay Jackal Canyon might just have cemented this as my GOTY.
Just playing this level now. Jaw dropping! Such a refreshing design, amazing graphics at 60 frames, and dynamite bolts. Best FPS for a long time.

White Man said:
These are dangerous thoughts. It's this sort of thinking that lead to dolphin diving.
Talking strictly singleplayer here. For multiplayer you'd obviously have to balance it. Also, shame on you for comparing id to DICE. :p

McLovin

I have to say the gameplay really picks up near the end... but wtf at that ending. I also hate how after your done with a mission npcs have nothing to say.

Hazanko

Banned
I've just tried the multiplayer and "WOW" the co-op is amazing. Shame I couldn't find people for the map I wanted to play on though. The car combat is really fun too, just unbalanced. I don't like going up against lvl 20 people with better weapons. It was still fun trying to take them out though.

pakkit

Banned
McLovin said:
I have to say the gameplay really picks up near the end... but wtf at that ending. I also hate how after your done with a mission npcs have nothing to say.
NPC routines and dialogue changes after every single mission. There were several side missions I missed because I jumped headlong into the next main mission instead of scouring the hub area for info.

see5harp

Coop must be better than the competitive driving stuff because I didn't find that satisfying at all. I didn't like the races in the single player either so take that how you will. The campaign was a decent game though. I really did enjoy the shooting mechanics and the dynamite bolts were pretty damn satisfying.

Sorry if this has been discussed but how can anyOne play a game where you have to look at a wall for 3 seconds before the texture loads and then disappears as soon as you look away? Only game I've ever played that's now unplayable for me. (PS3 ) since I don't have a PC/360

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How terrible does it run if I don't install to 360? I only have like 12gb left. (Requires 22 right?):(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BackwardsSuggestions said:
Sorry if this has been discussed but how can anyOne play a game where you have to look at a wall for 3 seconds before the texture loads and then disappears as soon as you look away? Only game I've ever played that's now unplayable for me. (PS3 ) since I don't have a PC/360
Is that how you play the game? Honestly, while playing the game, it really doesn't bother me. It seems like it should, but it just doesn't seem all that bad while actually running through the world. It's only really obvious if you keep doing 180 turns and watching the textures.

dark10x said:
Is that how you play the game? Honestly, while playing the game, it really doesn't bother me. It seems like it should, but it just doesn't seem all that bad while actually running through the world. It's only really obvious if you keep doing 180 turns and watching the textures.
It's noticeable and annoys me. Even when walking around I can see the textures loading around me.

NeoUltima

Credits rolling now. Final area spoiler :
the fuck. that was most underwhelming final battle ever. The pulse cannon just made it lol-easy.

Christ, game was just too damn easy. I figured Hard would at least offer some challenge. Should have put it on Nightmare.

Carnby

I think something is wrong with your PS3 because it takes half a second for the textures to load on my copy

Just play the game. That's how.

Einbroch

Banned
NeoUltima said:
Credits rolling now. Final area spoiler :
the fuck. that was most underwhelming final battle ever. The pulse cannon just made it lol-easy.

Christ, game was just too damn easy. I figured Hard would at least offer some challenge. Should have put it on Nightmare.
I've only died once on Nightmare. And that was because I dropped the controller and threw a grenade at myself.

Game is an absolute joke (difficulty wise, I like the game). Only one story-related trophy left so I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game.

I had a weird glitch last night.

Got to the point in the game where it asks you to switch discs - and I did. It loaded for a bit and then came up and said the game requires an update but the update could not be found. It kicked me back to the Xbox dashboard and I just started the game again. Chose campaign, continued and the game started fine. However from that point on (about an hour or two of gameplay), the speech from NPCs was out of sync. To make it worse, the NPCs would would finish the speaking animations a few seconds ahead of the speech, and the sound was just cut out mid sentence. Nothing important was going on, so it's not like the last few words were necessary, however it was annoying. I tried a restart and it seems fine so far, but I've yet to get into a long winded Conversation/mission speech to check. I'm on 360 and have the game installed.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I think the sound effects on my shotgun may have been out of sync a few times in big battles as well. Threw me off a bit.

madmook

Brandon F said:
How terrible does it run if I don't install to 360? I only have like 12gb left. (Requires 22 right?):(
You can install/play each disc individually if you want. There is no benefit to installing all 3 at the same time. Only discs 1 & 2 are used for the sp campaign. I played through the coop missions splitscreen and a few online race matches without installing disc 3, the experience wasn't any different than sp (which I did install the discs for). Although splitscreen means no more 60 fps.

madmook

Stripper13 said:

Got to the point in the game where it asks you to switch discs - and I did. It loaded for a bit and then came up and said the game requires an update but the update could not be found. It kicked me back to the Xbox dashboard and I just started the game again. Chose campaign, continued and the game started.
Mine did the same thing, although I don't recall having any of the sound issues you describe.

NeoUltima

Also wtf. Once you enter the last area you can't leave.
And before then you get to a point near the end when you can no longer race or play some of the minigames.
Horrible game design. I ain't playing a new game to get those trophies.

(no I don't have older saves :(. I only kept the autosave and one manual save)

My summary of the game in one word: Underwhelming.

NeoUltima said:
Also wtf. Once you enter the last area you can't leave.
And before then you get to a point near the end when you can no longer race or play some of the minigames.
Horrible game design. I ain't playing a new game to get those trophies.

(no I don't have older saves :(. I only kept the autosave and one manual save)

My summary of the game in one word: Underwhelming.
What would you say is the point of no return?

see5harp

It wasn't more than a second for textures to run on PS3, but even stuff like zooming in and out using the sniper would cause textures like railings pop in and out. You don't even need to be making 180 degree turns either. Even small 20-30 degree turns would cause pop in many different circumstances in the overworld. Most of the very linear small levels were fine, however.

Stripper13 said:

Got to the point in the game where it asks you to switch discs - and I did. It loaded for a bit and then came up and said the game requires an update but the update could not be found. It kicked me back to the Xbox dashboard and I just started the game again. Chose campaign, continued and the game started fine. However from that point on (about an hour or two of gameplay), the speech from NPCs was out of sync. To make it worse, the NPCs would would finish the speaking animations a few seconds ahead of the speech, and the sound was just cut out mid sentence. Nothing important was going on, so it's not like the last few words were necessary, however it was annoying. I tried a restart and it seems fine so far, but I've yet to get into a long winded Conversation/mission speech to check. I'm on 360 and have the game installed.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I think the sound effects on my shotgun may have been out of sync a few times in big battles as well. Threw me off a bit.

Yeah I get the "update not found" error every time I have to swap the discs.

I've never had any of the out of sync stuff you mentioned(Or at least not that I noticed) though.

MrBig

NeoUltima said:
After the Jackal mission is your last chance
The mission where he gives you the
gatling gun
is the last mission. You're free to do anything you want after you obtain the gun but as soon as you accept the mission that he gives you with it you're done.

Salsa

XWoQS.png

fWew9.png

Its impossible to avoid the comments on the ending being sequel bait and the last mission being kinda short and ending abruptly, but my god if that wasnt some of the must fun ive had this gen.

Its really awesome how the game could feel so refreshing in a market full of grey same old same old FPS, but this really shines and blows every other shooter out of the water in the aspects that matter. Its just a TON of fun to shoot stuff, that's basically it. I could do the Bash TV challenges for hours without being bored because of how satisfying the combat is.

Its also surprisingly colorful (specially considering its id :p) and the environments have some of the best art design ive seen in quite a while.

Its not a perfect game, but i really have little to say about the very few negatives i found with it. One of the disappointing ones was that (as already commented), its hardly a game for completionists considering how the layout works. There's one area that you cant go back to, and if you don get everything you can get there, you're screwed. I was going for 100 percent till i find out about this and then i gave up on it and just carried on. It was disappointing but i hardly care about that stuff as much as others.

Probably my game of the year so far. Cant wait for the sequel.

Metal-Geo

SalsaShark said:
Cant wait for the sequel.
I'd rather they continued RAGE with a bit of DLC and focus on Doom 4, Quake V (?) and more new IPs. They got some very talented and creative folks there. Would love to see something new from these guys and gals again. :)

Salsa

Metal-Geo said:
I'd rather they continued RAGE with a bit of DLC and focus on Doom 4, Quake V (?) and more new IPs. They got some very talented and creative folks there. Would love to see something new from these guys and gals again. :)

They already announced that they're starting work on RAGE 2, a while ago actually.

Doom 4 is first of course.

Top Bottom