• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Metal-Geo

SalsaShark said:
They already announced that they're starting work on RAGE 2, a while ago actually.

Doom 4 is first of course.
Pity. Unless they take the Prey 2 direction and do something completely different with the sequel. Would love to see something else besides a wasteland now! :)

KPunk

im about four hours into it. started playing during release...slowly finishing this game. however its a lot of fun so far, im really enjoying this game a lot.

Grayman

NeoUltima said:
Credits rolling now. Final area spoiler :
the fuck. that was most underwhelming final battle ever. The pulse cannon just made it lol-easy.

Christ, game was just too damn easy. I figured Hard would at least offer some challenge. Should have put it on Nightmare.
I was saving ammo for the end of the game that never came. I at least switched to pop rocks and some fat boys but I never went "all out" in the last fights.

Man the rally races in Subway town are fucking annoying. Racing just isn't worth worth the hassle anymore. Whoever designed them when the checkpoints move around randomly (as far as I can tell) is a very bad person.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Neuromancer said:
Man the rally races in Subway town are fucking annoying. Racing just isn't worth worth the hassle anymore. Whoever designed them when the checkpoints move around randomly (as far as I can tell) is a very bad person.

Agreed. I would like to punch his dog in the face. I did find that all of them had a bit of a pattern to them. But it took several races. You pretty much have to decide which rally points you are not going to bother with and set yourself up for three or four that you can get the majority of the time.

I have loved every single minute of the gunplay though. It's incredible. I'm playing the game on Nightmare and the difficulty has been perfect. If I'm not smart I'm dead.
But laying down turrets and bots while throwing wingsticks is awesome.

beastmode

SalsaShark said:
Its really awesome how the game could feel so refreshing in a market full of grey same old same old FPS, but this really shines and blows every other shooter out of the water in the aspects that matter. Its just a TON of fun to shoot stuff, that's basically it. I could do the Bash TV challenges for hours without being bored because of how satisfying the combat is.
What does this mean? I've played through two hideouts and it's the same corridor environments and repeating enemies that I point -> shoot. Is it just the sound effects that are swaying people? I'd assume fun combat would imply something like Crysis or the vehicular levels in Halo. This shit bores me.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
beastmode said:
What does this mean? I've played through two hideouts and it's the same corridor environments and repeating enemies that I point -> shoot. Is it just the sound effects that are swaying people? I'd assume fun combat would imply something like Crysis or the vehicular levels in Halo. This shit bores me.

I have found that the combat is enjoyable too. Might be the difficulty setting. Hard to say. I find that the environments are pretty gorgeous and everything runs so ridiculously smooth.
I wish I could say what impresses me so much.

Have you gotten to the Dead City yet? That was the first area that I really really enjoyed. Amazing visuals. Not everything is a tight corridor. You get a chance to start using a lot of different gadgets.

pakkit

Banned
beastmode said:
I've analysed this post and I'm fairly certain you're trolling.

I'd rate likelihood of troll a 7.7/10.

Miletius

Weird Question/Possible Glitch right around the end of the game.

After doing the final boss I did a reload to Subway Town and did some exploration. It seems like Shrouded Bunker respawns for me over and over again. Not like a total respawn but a few guys will always pop up there. Did this happen for anybody else?

Overall great game, tons of fun.

Myansie

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game and I'm a big fan. The shooting is absolutely phenomenal, the environments are incredible and really sell the sensation of being there.

My biggest niggle is the loading. On PS3 the load times are quite long and there are a fair few of them. I went in expecting a continuous environment like GTA and Red Dead Redemption, but it's more like Bioshock where the world is broken up into smaller maps that have to be loaded each time you leave your current map. Get mission in Well Spring, go to Wasteland, Loading, find mission location, Loading, complete mission, back to Wasteland, Loading, enter Well Spring for next mission, Loading.

My other niggle is with the DLC Sewer level to punish second hand buyers. I found it late in my play through. Oh, I have to exit the game, load up PSN and enter a 12 digit alpha numeric code with a controller and then download a 300 meg patch. Huh, what was the Blu-ray for? What's wrong with doing this in the game? 20 minutes later I finish the Well Springs section and end up in the Subway. Great, so I just missed the bit I paid for and spent 10 min fucking around with the code.

I sound like I'm being negative now, overall I'm loving it. The shooting is amazing, I absolutely love the combat. The cars are alright, I like driving them inbetween missions, but I'm not much of a fan of the races. That's pretty much optional though, so no biggie.

The graphics are incredible. The 60fps gives it a very 3D look, comparative to stereo 3D in awesomeness. In fact after playing this I feel you can make a very strong argument that it's more important to go 60fps first and then bring in stereo 3D. For this type of action game the frame rate makes such a big difference. 30fps 3D wouldn't have looked nearly as cool in those firefights. The way the monsters react at 60fps is unreal.

Having said that, I would love to play this in 3D at 60fps.

beastmode said:

It's the feel of the weapons themselves. The way enemies react after being hit, the speed of combat, the smooth 60fps, the explosions that actually have impact and chunky gibs etc

For a shooter, I value the combat itself above things like level design. If the weapons feel good enough, I can even overlook brain dead AI (not that Rage has that issue!). In terms of the feel of combat itself, Rage comfortably outdoes Halo and Crysis and I'm quite a fan of those games.

Truelize said:
Have you gotten to the Dead City yet? That was the first area that I really really enjoyed. Amazing visuals. Not everything is a tight corridor. You get a chance to start using a lot of different gadgets.
Amazing visuals? There are so many super-rough texture spots there (even going by Rage standards) I couldn't appreciate the good art. Also the boss fight was boring.

Sean

Banned
beastmode said:

I think Rage has the best weapon sandbox in an FPS. The wingsticks are fun to decapitate enemies with, you get Sentry Bots that walk around and kill everything, Sentry Turrets for holding a certain location, it has the most satisfying shotgun in a game (especially with the different ammo types like pulse, pop rockets, etc), the crossbow with exploding dynamite bolts, mind control bolts, the RC cars that you can drive into your enemies, etc.

You can probably beat the game by sticking with just one weapon or whatever, but if you switch things up and experiment with all the different weapons, it's really a ton of fun.

beastmode

Poimandres said:
It's the feel of the weapons themselves. The way enemies react after being hit, the speed of combat, the smooth 60fps, the explosions that actually have impact and chunky gibs etc

For a shooter, I value the combat itself above things like level design. If the weapons feel good enough, I can even overlook brain dead AI (not that Rage has that issue!). In terms of the feel of combat itself, Rage comfortably outdoes Halo and Crysis and I'm quite a fan of those games.
I prefer substance over style. I'd take attaching a C4 charge to an explosive barrel and throwing it at a helicopter over an NPC giving me a heat-seeking Stinger missile launcher that makes a cooler explosion.
Sean said:
I think Rage has the best weapon sandbox in an FPS. The wingsticks are fun to decapitate enemies with, you get Sentry Bots that walk around and kill everything, Sentry Turrets for holding a certain location, it has the most satisfying shotgun in a game (especially with the different ammo types like pulse, pop rockets, etc), the crossbow with exploding dynamite bolts, mind control bolts, the RC cars that you can drive into your enemies, etc.

You can probably beat the game by sticking with just one weapon or whatever, but if you switch things up and experiment with all the different weapons, it's really a ton of fun.
I'm not sure I really want to play any more of this game to get that stuff with all the things outside of combat that keep fucking me over. I just wanted to comment that it's amusing you used the word "sandbox" while describing this game. I found a gate with goons guarding it, tried killing them but they were invulnerable to my headshots. They only became killable once John Goodman instructed me to do the exact same thing!

beastmode said:
I prefer substance over style. I'd take attaching a C4 charge to an explosive barrel and throwing it at a helicopter over an NPC giving me a heat-seeking Stinger missile launcher that makes a cooler explosion.I'm not sure I really want to play any more of this game to get that stuff with all the things outside of combat that keep fucking me over. I just wanted to comment that it's amusing you used the word "sandbox" while describing this game. I found a gate with goons guarding it, tried killing them but they were invulnerable to my headshots. They only became killable once John Goodman instructed me to do the exact same thing!

Valuing the feel of the weapons themselves is most certainly not "style over substance". It's the most basic act in an FPS, a very "substantial" aspect, yet something that very few games truly nail. Rage is one of those rare games.... probably the first since FEAR to get it absolutely right.

I guess you just have different priorities, which is understandable.

Salsa

beastmode said:

well hey, opinions. The gunplay is just the best out there IMO (as one would expect from id) and the unexpected enemy movements makes it much more fun and keeps it fresh even with a low enemy variety (more than enough though) and corridor-shooter levels. You just have to set what you expect from the game accordingly, i knew this game was a corridor shooter with a big HUB and i went in expecting just that. Nothing wrong with it. I think some people were lured into thinking it was a different experience for some reason.

pelican

KPunk said:
im about four hours into it. started playing during release...slowly finishing this game. however its a lot of fun so far, im really enjoying this game a lot.

My approach is exactly the same.

Just finished the Dead City area last night.

Hard should have been Normal

Nightmare mode should have been Hard. I've actually died quite a few times. Specifically during Monster Bash. Game really makes you use your entire arsenal.

Grayman

SalsaShark said:
well hey, opinions. The gunplay is just the best out there IMO (as one would expect from id) and the unexpected enemy movements makes it much more fun and keeps it fresh even with a low enemy variety (more than enough though) and corridor-shooter levels. You just have to set what you expect from the game accordingly, i knew this game was a corridor shooter with a big HUB and i went in expecting just that. Nothing wrong with it. I think some people were lured into thinking it was a different experience for some reason.
i think a lot of people expected open rpg, loot whore game(borderlands comments?), or open world. Brink had this too, wonder if Zeni can sell Skyrim like it is demon's souls or god of war next.

AgentOtaku said:
Hard should have been Normal

Nightmare mode should have been Hard. I've actually died quite a few times. Specifically during Monster Bash. Game really makes you use your entire arsenal.
Nightmare should have no defib outside of the scripted use and health regen that occurs after fights.

actually with the fight structure painkiller type health where enemies drop some health as they die. also would push the player forward.

McLovin

pakkit said:
NPC routines and dialogue changes after every single mission. There were several side missions I missed because I jumped headlong into the next main mission instead of scouring the hub area for info.
What I mean is stuff like the delivery missions, the guy gives you like 3-4 races and then nothing. No "we don't have any more missions" or "thanks for the help if I need anything I'll let you know" nothing... he just stands there and looks at you. And things like that happen all over the game. And then that ending... cool last stage, but
no real boss?! and like a 5 second cg clip of the arks rising. Who's the general guy they keep referring to? So do they go to war right after that? What is that big mutant thing the authority was working on?(I hope its not that huge boss you fight early in the game, when you get the rocket launcher) Nothing really gets answered and the whole thing seems like its one big setup for rage 2.
I hate when games do crap like that.
It really started to stick out with the mayor of wellspring. They make him fall asleep and ignore you after you're done with his missions. Then after that they just straight up start either closing a door so you can't go in(the sheriff) or just straight up make them disappear(the mayor of wellspring, the leader from that first town you visit, the dude in charge of the subway town). Or sometimes they'll close off sections, because "we had to lock this down because the authority something something"... it just seemed really really lazy.

pakkit

Banned
Yup, I agree with all of that McLovin. I think id would've been wise to use missions the whole way through, with pseudo-open world environments pushing the gameplay along (think Valve's HL2).

Sanic

Can't seem to find any games going on in either Legends of the Wasteland or Road Rage. Nobody playing or an issue on my end?

see5harp

Pandoracell said:
Can't seem to find any games going on in either Legends of the Wasteland or Road Rage. Nobody playing or an issue on my end?

Not worth playing unless you really want the 2 easy trophies/achievements.

MrBig said:
One of Rage's character artists made an art dump for anyone thats interested in that kind of thing.

Yeh, Vitaliy's models are awesome! Too bad the animation was so bad on most of them :/

I really dug the game, though. Never had any of the problems with texture loading or slow-downs, so I think that helped me not have the bad first impressions, most got.

Some of the encounters were great. Shooting characters in certain spots, and having the react accordingly, never got old. More games need this. The beginning and ending of the game, were terrible. The meat of the game, was fantastic. It kept me engaged enough, and I wanted to keep playing. Looking forward to the sequel!

MrBig

Vustadumas said:
Yeh, Vitaliy's models are awesome! Too bad the animation was so bad on most of them :/
I loved the pixar style exaggerated emotions. The mechanic in wellspring had especially fantastic animation.

It was amusing how every dude in the game was rugged/old-ish and evey girl (lest the few really old ladies) were young, beautiful and lightly dressed but at least they had normal proportions.

Salsa

Grayman said:
i think a lot of people expected open rpg, loot whore game(borderlands comments?), or open world. Brink had this too, wonder if Zeni can sell Skyrim like it is demon's souls or god of war next.

Those people were in the wrong cause nor the game or the makers ever implied that the game was gonna be that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wow, checked gamefaqs and I'm like 80% done and I'm only 7 hours in.

Special J

Banned
soulassssns said:
Have any of you read some of the Carmack hate over on N4G? It is crazy how many ignorant gamers there are on that site.

its because n4g is a sony fanboys cesspool and carmacks latest statements have been favorable to the 360 so they're all just bitter.

as for animations this game has some of the best in the industry i seriously have absolutely no understanding when people say animations look bad. the way that enemies dont have obvious cycling animations the way they drag themselves into cover makes it that much more impressive i had a melee enemy run at me and because my first shot landed on his face he proceeded to charge me while using his other hand to guard his face.

Metal-Geo

Special J said:
as for animations this game has some of the best in the industry i seriously have absolutely no understanding when people say animations look bad. the way that enemies dont have obvious cycling animations the way they drag themselves into cover makes it that much more impressive i had a melee enemy run at me and because my first shot landed on his face he proceeded to charge me while using his other hand to guard his face.
The enemies, no. People you talk to do though. They'll often shrug several times during their speech and it's the same shrug over and over. But I love it. Has this old skool charm to it.

In general, the animations are deliciously exaggerated. Seeing Coffer talk to you the first time (the salesman bloke in Wellspring) was just delightful. The little robot on Kvasir's shoulder is heartwarming. And even when you kill an enemy sentry bot, they often do this comedic cliche drama pose you see in cartoons.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
My second little mini-review (first one being Resistance 3). Spoilers use the [ 'SPOILER' ] tags.

Platform: PC (EVGA 470GTX, i750, 24gb ram)

What I loved:

+ Atmosphere/graphics

The game is gorgeous. It's fantastic to see a game where you can't spot a single repeating texture. The downside is that unfortunately a lot of it is quite compressed and low-res. I wish they would have released a true high-resolution option on PC as I am sure they painted the textures at a higher resolution. Especially small objects look horrible. But the atmosphere, design, etc. is amazing. All the characters you ran into felt part of the world due to the visual representation and good voice acting. The visual design was so good actually that I often stopped and just took all the detail in.

+ Animations

Can't remember a game that had animations these good. The way the enemies used the environment really added to the gameplay and kept you on your feet which leads to:

+ AI

I thought the AI was great and the fact that they all communicated and you could see their actions as a result made me feel that they were working together. I did learn pretty quickly to aim low with the shotgun however.

+ Gunplay

Very solid and a lot of fun. Great variety in weapons and the accompanying sounds were awesome.

+ Looting

I always kept looking for loot. It was a very basic system but it kept me entertained as this isn't an RPG. It didn't need a deeper system in my opinion.

+ Side missions

Yielded actual useful stuff and a lot of variety. Almost wish there were more?

+ Arcade driving

Really enjoyed the car combat and all the upgrades you could get for your cars.

What I disliked

- PC Launch

Annoying but I knew it would be fixed pretty quickly and so it was no big deal.

- Vsync

Even with forced Vsync there was still tearing. But I could live with it.

- Over-powered weapons / Under powered enemies / Difficulty Level

Game was way too easy. I like just experiencing a game but this was ridiculous. I was expecting it to ramp up towards the end but it never did. It was always very, very easy on normal difficulty.

- Memorable moments

In the beginning there were some missions were I felt this game was going to have a lot of great, memorable moments. They teased big things but never delivered. I expected to fight more
bigger enemies where I truly felt like a small person against these hulking creatures or tough armies

- End

Wtf? That was it? There was no great lead-up and no great memorable moments towards the end. That was a huge bummer. Why did they tease about
huge, cyborg mutants? That gave me the impression I was going to fight something bad ass. Not just a few slow walking cyborg with a pulse cannon.

Conclusion

Loved the game as I was playing it but there really wasn't enough (almost any) big, holy shit moments that challenged you and sent you into the unexpected. I thought all the way up until the end that this was going to be a 9.5 game from me. As it turns out, it's an 8.8... I would recommend the game to anyone, but comparing this game to the top tier and it did not deliver the big challening, fun, gameplay moments I expect these days.

It's such a shame because it does so many things right. Really, really right. I could write up a whole article about what I loved about the details in game-play mechanics and the world. I think it would have made a great MP game (as a mode) personally because the gunplay is fantastic.

I just finished the game. The ending was crap, but I had a lot of fun all the way through the game.

The gunplay is awesome, as has been said over and over in this thread. The way the guns feel, all the different ammo types, and the way enemies move and react to getting shot. Altogether it's just a blast to shoot stuff.

Animations and sounds were top notch too. I really don't get the complaints about the animations. They are among the best out there for sure.

I started the game on Normal, but I turned it up to Hard after a couple of hours. I probably should have went with Nightmare right away instead.

see5harp

Poimandres said:
What?! Legends of the Wasteland is the best pure co-op experience I've had all year. It's amazingly fun.

I'm talking about the competitive game. I'm sure coop is fun (generally that makes most games better) but no one on my ps3 bought this game.

I wish after you beat the game, you could go into any of the 'dungeons' with the weapons and items currently on your save and just blow through them for fun and not have to worry about all the driving/RPG stuff.

Sanic

Finished RAGE yesterday and outside of the final level, the game became far better as I progressed through the story, and I think that was a combination of improving scenario design as well as the game simply growing on me.

I think the fact that I want to jump back in and play more should speak for itself. Still have almost every race to do as well as most of the sidequests and random odds and ends, so i'll have plenty to go back to. My only regret is not playing through the game on Nightmare. Hard was too easy. Overall, considering I was sort of down on the game initially, i've come away with a really good experience, and this is probably in the top five games i've played this year.

SalsaShark said:
Those people were in the wrong cause nor the game or the makers ever implied that the game was gonna be that.
Well, im not saying id promised exactly what the person you responded to was implying. However id did fuel the expectations to higher goals than they achieved, so they are to blame for that.

Maybe you, Dark10x, me or any other people that have been playing most of id games along the years knew better and what the dev capabilities are. But id sold the game to this "new audience" (to put it in some way) ... to this console audience as something the game end up not delivering.

That's why some players ended up dissapointed and with reason.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
So I take it the 20-25 hour campaign was bullshit? I'm about 11 hours into the game and just started Subway Town which I assume is the last section right? Is Subway Town really 10 hours long including races/side quests?

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the game outside of fighting the fucking mutants. They are just so boring and the shitty decision to just throw waves of them at you really pisses me off. Fighting the human enemies has been a real treat and it's too bad that you couldn't just fight them all the time.

Salsa

Guts Of Thor said:
So I take it the 20-25 hour campaign was bullshit?

I missed a couple things and did about 22 hours. Going straight arrow is waaay less than that, maybe half, so its one of those cases where you make it what you want.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
SalsaShark said:
I missed a couple things and did about 22 hours. Going straight arrow is waaay less than that, maybe half, so its one of those cases where you make it what you want.

That's weird because I have made sure to do every sidequest and every race. Besides races and sidequests(not counting minigames) is there anything else to do?

Salsa

Guts Of Thor said:
That's weird because I have made sure to do every sidequest and every race. Besides races and sidequests(not counting minigames) is there anything else to do?

sewers (wich are really cool if you enjoy the combat), finding collectibles and going for a couple achievements i guess.

Top Bottom