• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

pelican

Foliorum Viridum said:
Part of me wants to pick this up at retail because of the 25gb download. I'll have to see how the price compares to Steam in-store, knowing GAME it will be marked up completely.

Can't remember the last time I bought a PC game at retail so I have no idea what the prices are like these days.

Can be cheaper than Steam.

The only game recently which was more expensive at Game was Warhammer at 40 quid. Usually they are 35 or 30.

The most recent game I purchased from them was Red Orch 2 and the instore price was 20 quid, a fiver cheaper than steam!

eshwaaz

dark10x said:
What do you consider the best in the industry? A lot of shooters have become extremely scripted, linear experiences (ie Call of Duty). Rage certainly appears to be much more interesting than that series, at least.
Agreed. Even removing the "id factor" from the equation, I'd still be excited for Rage if only for being a new FPS that is not trying to be Call of Duty.

Detox said:
I assume you're in the UK where PC retail prices are almost always cheaper than Steam except for sales obviously. It is £23.84 at Shopto with release date delivery or if you want to go with Amazon £25.70.
Yeah I could order it somewhere else, but next Friday I'll be going to GAME to buy Dark Souls, Gears of War 3 and the Ico + SOTC collection so since I'm there I might as well pick this up too!

(My uni loan will be in next week so I'm going on a bit of a spree!)

Effect said:
This is why I believe digital won't be taking over for a long time. Games are just getting larger and larger. The cost of high speed isn't going down either if you want a high bandwidth cap, especially in the US. Perhaps it's different outside of the US.

Honestly, I won't be playing this day 1, so downloading 25gb isn't much of an issue. I can do that in one night. I don't mind games being large like that but since I'll have the option of picking up the disc as it activates on Steam it would free up my internet so I could use my bandwidth elsewhere.

I am on a 5mb connection, though, so if games are going to start increasing in size I wish my internet would get faster! I have the fastest speed in my area at the moment :(

But still, 500kb/s isn't too bad and fast enough that I'll never not buy a game due to its size. Afterall, a few pages back I was saying they need to release the mega textures update even if it was 100gb!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I may end up double dipping on this one. And I also have a feeling that the vehicular combat multiplayer will be a sleeper hit.

(._.)

Banned
When are they going to allow us to preload? Hopefully tonight because I don't want to start dling this tuesday.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
Gah, I'm still having a difficult time deciding between the console and PC versions. I recognize that the PC version will be superior visually (due to resolution), but 60 fps on the consoles is a rarity and the game is looking great. The collector in me wants to go console, but the PC version seems like the proper way to play an id game.

I have the PC version pre-ordered, however, and will probably stick to that. I'm so tempted to try it on consoles, though (as illogical as that may seem).

Isn't your PC hooked up to your HDTV? Just plug in your 360 controller and get your console experience on the big screen.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
Doesn't seem like there will be a pre-load.

That's the worst decision they could have made with this game's release with that size. That really sucks for people who bought it digitally. If you have even a mediocre download speed you're going to be spending most of the day downloading it.

solarus

I know this game uses steamworks, but the retail copies have the game for windows logo on them. Is steamworks only available if i get it digitally off steam? Sorry for the stupid question, but I cant see myself downloading 25gb with my crappy connection.

legbone

Derrick01 said:
That's the worst decision they could have made with this game's release with that size. That really sucks for people who bought it digitally. If you have even a mediocre download speed you're going to be spending most of the day downloading it.

no kidding. what the heck are they thinking? no preload on something that big? that seems like it would have been a no-brainer.

AEREC

If a game ever needed a pre-load...this is the one. Seriously, Im not looking forward to downloading this on launch day.

Mrbob said:
Isn't your PC hooked up to your HDTV? Just plug in your 360 controller and get your console experience on the big screen.

yeah, plus you will likely have more options

eg with dead island, on PC you could change the FOV, enable vsync etc

Plus I imagine in practice its going to run better and smoother on PC, especially at higher resolution.

garath

solarus said:
I know this game uses steamworks, but the retail copies have the game for windows logo on them. Is steamworks only available if i get it digitally off steam? Sorry for the stupid question, but I cant see myself downloading 25gb with my crappy connection.

Retail copies require steam as well. You can install off the disc and then authenticate with steam and it will be forever linked to your steam account.

jonno394

STill don't know whether to get this Or Dark Souls when they're both released on Friday 7th. When can we expect reviews of RAGE?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
But it unlocks at midnight EST, not noon.

Someone tweet that guy asking if there'll be a pre-load, heh.

AEREC said:
If a game ever needed a pre-load...this is the one. Seriously, Im not looking forward to downloading this on launch day.
Same here. What a cock-up.

So release day will be spent downloading and walking on eggshells not to disrupt or diminish the download speed (playing Steam games, online multiplayer, watching Netflix, etc.), and hoping that whoever is serving the files has the bandwidth to support so many downloads at one time.

Stupid.

NullPointer said:
Same here. What a cock-up.

So release day will be spent downloading and walking on eggshells not to disrupt or diminish the download speed (playing Steam games, online multiplayer, watching Netflix, etc.), and hoping that whoever is serving the files has the bandwidth to support so many downloads at one time.

Stupid.

There is still time. I believe Brink pre-loaded three days before release and that was a Bethesda game. As long as it starts by end of today/tomorrow, I'd imagine most US users should be able to have it downloaded by Tuesday.

jett

D-Member
How much is the Steam download gonna be? 20GB? Gonna take me 30 hours to download this bitch.

I lol'd.

:(

dmshaposv

Solo said:
And what a delicious combo it will be. Add to that THE best gunplay in the business, bar none.

I feel the sense of weight and feedback in the gunplay of games like F.E.A.R 1 and Killzone 2 has exceeded what id has done.

I do like what I see in Rage videos, and for me gunplay is the last thing that concerns me about Rage. I'm just not blown away by the scenarios I've seen so far (though jackal canyon seemed the most interesting thing I've seen so far from this game).

SPEA

garath said:
There's some twittering going on that reviewers are disappointed with the console auto-save feature. They are having to replay 30+ minute chunks if they forget to manual save.

There's a post on the official forums that outlines it and links to all the respective twitters.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1235203-auto-save-system-on-consoles/

Definitely a major point against for the console version.
Meh. Not a major point for me. Made the mistake once for Deus Ex: HR and forgot to save. Never forgot after that and didn't really hinder the experience too much. I ain't that worried as long as you can manually save anytime.

garath

DSmalls84 said:
Has anything been said about the Coop? Is it just the sp campaign with 2 people?

There are a set of missions outside of the main storyline that are played co-op. The game mode is called Legends of the Wasteland. You will hear stories of exploits throughout the game and you get to play those stories in co-op.

It's not full story 2-player co-op unfortunately :(

Xander51

Direct2Drive posted on Facebook that they're going to start allowing pre-loading later today. I imagine Steam will follow suit.

solarus

garath said:
Retail copies require steam as well. You can install off the disc and then authenticate with steam and it will be forever linked to your steam account.
Thanks! Definiteley going to get the retail copy then.

Sullichin

garath said:
There's some twittering going on that reviewers are disappointed with the console auto-save feature. They are having to replay 30+ minute chunks if they forget to manual save.

There's a post on the official forums that outlines it and links to all the respective twitters.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1235203-auto-save-system-on-consoles/

at least it has manual save unlike dead island which has infrequent auto saves and no option to manually save.

jam287

Banned
don't know if anybody has started streaming the game yet but i will be streaming the xbox 360 version later tonight/this weekend

every trailer for this game was great IMO... so i guess i just have to get it heh.

Rage is probably the last pure shooter i will buy this whole gen, not really interested in COD or Uncharted or Resistance or pretty much any other shooter. i think this will do it for me.

IoCaster

garath said:

Wow, seriously? Haven't the console crowd had to deal with a lack of auto-saves and/or a need to rely on finding save points/crystals for years? Now that console games actually have auto-saves and save anywhere in some games, there's bitching?

If I understand this correctly, some people can't be bothered to pause for a moment, bring up a menu, pick a slot and hit a button to create a save. Then they cry about having to replay some portion of the game? Maybe it's because I'm a PC gamer, but that sounds like a bunch of self-inflicted pain and petulant whining. It's no wonder that it's almost axiomatic why devs/pubs are desperate to streamline, dumb down or make their games more 'accessible' when they have to deal with crap like this. :/

garath

Duxxy3 said:
Waiting for a retailer to price it at $50. Not paying the console tax for a pc game, never have.

Amazon has a $10 credit for pre-orders. I don't know about you but that's as good as cash for me. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon.

Lothars

garath said:

I don't think that's a major point at all, It seems like whining for the sake of whining especially considering you have the option for manual saves.

Duxxy3 said:
Waiting for a retailer to price it at $50. Not paying the console tax for a pc game, never have.

Normally i would agree with you 150 percent bro, but to me id is gaming. id's Wolfenstein and Doom were the first pc games i ever played and that was oh...18 years ago, so i have to get this even with console tax. That and it is a 15 to 20 hour game compared to modern crap 3 which is going to be 4 hours long for 60 bucks.

garath

Lothars said:
I don't think that's a major point at all, It seems like whining for the sake of whining especially considering you have the option for manual saves.

I can see it being a major point for the console crowd. Hit start->down->down->hit x->select HD (360!)->pick slot->hit x->do you want to overwrite?->wait->hit start

compared to a quick F5 or even ESC->click Save->click->click>resume, it's a little tedious.

Reviewers won't be a fan (obvious from the twitter feeds) and will mark them down for it. I'm sure console players will overcome but it sounds like it could be a little more streamlined.

Sullichin

garath said:
I can see it being a major point for the console crowd. Hit start->down->down->hit x->select HD (360!)->pick slot->hit x->do you want to overwrite?->wait->hit start

compared to a quick F5 or even ESC->click Save->click->click>resume, it's a little tedious.

Reviewers won't be a fan (obvious from the twitter feeds) and will mark them down for it. I'm sure console players will overcome but it sounds like it could be a little more streamlined.

I would love if console games just let you hold start+select or some other combination to do a quick save ala PC.

weeskwee

Banned
if Steam ends up getting a preload this weekend, i'll get it and deal with the 25 GB download. i want to start playing Monday at 9pm (pacific hours, woot!) so i can rave about it to people at work on tuesday morning. ;)

weeskwee said:
if Steam ends up getting a preload this weekend, i'll get it and deal with the 25 GB download. i want to start playing Monday at 9pm (pacific hours, woot!) so i can rave about it to people at work on tuesday morning. ;)

I'm pretty sure it is not a 25gb download, that im sure is the installed size...Also, it is a steamworks title so if D2D can allow pre-load we had better get it on steam to.

Eusis

weeskwee said:
If Deus Ex is any indication they'll go and bump that time up 3 hours so you have to play at midnight anyway. And everyone on the east coast has to wait until 3 AM instead.

weeskwee

Banned
Eusis said:
If Deus Ex is any indication they'll go and bump that time up 3 hours so you have to play at midnight anyway. And everyone on the east coast has to wait until 3 AM instead.

Both Dead Island and Space Marine unlocked at 9pm pacific, 12 midnight east coast.
so i'm hoping for more of that action. ;)

Top Bottom