• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nel e nel said:
More specifically, it saves when you transition from the open world to a dungeon and vice versa.

In fact, right after the defibrillator tutorial there is an ingame message that plainly states that the wasteland is a dangerous place so save often.

Which makes the complaints about the auto-save system even more ridiculous because the game flat out tells you to save manually. Often.
Why would people complain about lack of checkpoints? Manual saving is vastly superior to checkpoints.

FINALBOSS said:
Well it has an inventory and quest givers.
If that's all one needs to qualify a game as an RPG, then GTA and MGS are both RPGs.

See how silly that sounds?

wouwie

Had no interest in the game (wasn't following it) until i watched the canyon video. Now i'm definately interested.

Are there varied environments in the game or is the whole game based on the environments in the video?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:
IT'S NOT AN RPG

Do you guys not know how to read or something?

Dude, chill. I was using FO3 as a shorthand for well-developed quests and NPCs (although FONV has better quests/NPCs than FO3) and Borderlands as a shorthand for dull fetch quests and NPCs that I don't give a shit about. Since I'll only be playing the sp, how engaging the quests and NPCs are actually matters to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why would people complain about lack of checkpoints? Manual saving is vastly superior to checkpoints.
Oh? In what way?

I'm not a fan of manual saving at all, in fact. I much prefer sticking with checkpoints as it forces you to play through an entire section properly rather than saving your way through it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
Oh? In what way?

I'm not a fan of manual saving at all, in fact. I much prefer sticking with checkpoints as it forces you to play through an entire section properly rather than saving your way through it.
Because it gives me full control to save where I want. One of my pet peeves is hitting a checkpoint, getting a bit farther, and then guessing whether or not the game feels what I've done is significant enough to warrant a checkpoint.

Save anywhere is something I grew up with on PCs, and it really pisses me off that checkpoints have become more prevalent.

luxarific said:
Dude, chill. I was using FO3 as a shorthand for well-developed quests and NPCs (although FONV has better quests/NPCs than FO3) and Borderlands as a shorthand for dull fetch quests and NPCs that I don't give a shit about. Since I'll only be playing the sp, how engaging the quests and NPCs are actually matters to me.
I'm just tired of people comparing this to FO3 and Borderlands. Especially when no one has even realized that both games borrow heavily from Mad Max. People act like Fallout was a bastion of innovation and unique world building, when it really isn't.

Not to mention that Fallout and Rage don't really share any gameplay with each other, other than shooting things, and looting bodies. Even the shooting is completely different, as one is based solely on dice rolls, and the other isn't.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
dark10x said:
Oh? In what way?

Eh, I like to be in control of when and where I save. I frequently don't have time to "get to the next checkpoint" when playing - I just need to stop playing at that point in time. Checkpoints mean I lose progress if I have to stop without reaching the next checkpoint.

They're also a big issue in games with glitches. No ability to save means that you might lose an item or get stuck somewhere with no ability to start from an earlier save (this is for single checkpoint save systems that repeatedly save over one file).

FINALBOSS

Banned
thetrin said:

If that's all one needs to qualify a game as an RPG, then GTA and MGS are both RPGs.

See how silly that sounds?

Cry about it dude. You're the one getting all upset.

thetrin

FINALBOSS said:
Cry about it dude. You're the one getting all upset.

Wow, you surely are a bastion of maturity and academic debate. You've convinced me!

luxarific said:
Eh, I like to be in control of when and where I save. I frequently don't have time to "get to the next checkpoint" when playing - I just need to stop playing at that point in time. Checkpoints mean I lose progress if I have to stop without reaching the next checkpoint.

They're also a big issue in games with glitches. No ability to save means that you might lose an item or get stuck somewhere with no ability to start from an earlier save (this is for single checkpoint save systems that repeatedly save over one file).
This is my other problem with checkpoints. You're forced to use a single save slot, which is incredibly stupid, especially if you encounter something particularly cool that you'd like to show a friend later.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
thetrin said:
I'm just tired of people comparing this to FO3 and Borderlands. Especially when no one has even realized that both games borrow heavily from Mad Max. People act like Fallout was a bastion of innovation and unique world building, when it really isn't.

Like it or not, everyone and their mother will be using those two games as benchmark comparisons, just given the post-apocalyptic wasteland setting. And I'm pretty sure everyone above the age of 30 knows that all these games borrow heavily from Mad Max. FO (the original) was a unique game for its time and in many respects FO3 and FONV are worthy successors, so if Rage comes even close to being as enjoyable as FO3 and FONV were for me than I'll be happy. I just don't want it to be as dull as Borderlands was.

thetrin

luxarific said:
Like it or not, everyone and their mother will be using those two games as benchmark comparisons, just given the post-apocalyptic wasteland setting. And I'm pretty sure everyone above the age of 30 knows that all these games borrow heavily from Mad Max. FO (the original) was a unique game for its time and in many respects FO3 and FONV are worthy successors, so if Rage comes even close to being as enjoyable as FO3 and FONV were for me than I'll be happy. I just don't want it to be as dull as Borderlands was.
I doubt it will be as dull as Borderlands. Gearbox and id just aren't in the same league of game design, no matter how much Gearbox would love to think so.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:
Oh? In what way?

It really depends on the game. If the game's focus is exploration and experimentation, then manual saving is a must. Xenoblade and Risen would be good examples of such titles.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I also got the game early, I love it.

I'm not about to type an essay about it but it kinda remidns me of fallout but not as open but more gorgeous and a nice handful of RPG elements.

I'm enjoying it alot, visually its amazing and if I was to scale it from 1-10, 10 being the highest.

I would score it a 9.2

g35twinturbo said:

I'm not about to type an essay about it but it kinda remidns me of fallout but not as open but more gorgeous and a nice handful of RPG elements.

I'm enjoying it alot, visually its amazing and if I was to scale it from 1-10, 10 being the highest.

I would score it a 9.2
what version?

Soviet said:
Textures may crap out if you won't install it. I saw a PS3 gameplay and it was pretty bad.
Or just load times. Sorry, but i have to be sure, no guessing ;P
Ps3 version might just be the lesser version of the two. maybe

Wallach

Always-honest said:
Or just load times. Sorry, but i have to be sure, no guessing ;P
Ps3 version might just be the lesser version of the two. maybe

If you can install on the 360, I would get that. If you can't, I would get PS3. Assuming you can't get PC version.

Wallach said:
If you can install on the 360, I would get that. If you can't, I would get PS3. Assuming you can't get PC version.
I can't install on 360 (launch version), and i also have a ps3. But i need to know if the quality of the 360 is the same on disc and install. So far i haven't received an answer to that.
Cause if it's JUST loadtimes, i don't mind as much. But maybe there is more pop-in, worse framerate, etc. But i need to know for sure.

edit: thinking o buying a good gaming pc, but my GF would murder me.

Coop

g35twinturbo said:

I would score it a 9.2

Are you sure you wouldnt score it a 9.1?

M.W.

Soviet said:
Textures may crap out if you won't install it. I saw a PS3 gameplay and it was pretty bad.

WTF are you talking about? Everything I've seen from the PS3 version has been fine.

Soviet

Banned
Marcellus Wallace said:
There's a mandatory install on the PS3, 8GB. Do you even know what you're talking about, lol?
Well, it's strange then. On this gameplay I saw textures loaded very slow - you could clearly saw it.

M.W.

Soviet said:
Well, it's strange then. On this gameplay I saw textures loaded very slow - you could clearly saw it.

That's an issue with both 360 and PS3 versions. We'll have to deal with it, bro.

Soviet

Banned
Always-honest said:
If you have a good pc, ofcourse you did the right thing.
Anyway, didn't Carmack come up with some crazy advanced texture technology for Rage? I'm surprised it has side effects like that.

Wallach

Deadbeat said:
So there is no footage at all of the PC version? That would be kind of like Brink then.

Some (maybe all, I didn't check) of the official gameplay trailers are done with the PC version. The latest one - Jackal Canyon - is PC.

nel e nel

thetrin said:
IT'S NOT AN RPG

Do you guys not know how to read or something?

Yes, we know it's not an RPG, but comparisons to Fallout and Borderlands will be inevitable with RAGE. Similar setting, first person perspective, mutants and lots of shooting.

There is an upgrade system, but it hasn't fully revealed itself to me yet. You can definitely purchase items that upgrade the functionality of your weapons and vehicle.

Always-honest said:
Yep, i have yet to hear why though.
The game relies on mega texture streaming. The textures load faster off of hard drive than off a disc. It won't effect the frame rate or gameplay, but playing from disc will result in some textures fading into focus on screen.

B-Dex

From what I've played of the PS3 version it is blatantly obvious, even if you turn at normal speeds, the textures popping in and getting more detailed.

Corleth the Fey said:
The game relies on mega texture streaming. The textures load faster off of hard drive than off a disc. It won't effect the frame rate or gameplay, but playing from disc will result in some textures fading into focus on screen.
So that will NOT happen if you install?

Deadbeat

Banned
Wallach said:
Some (maybe all, I didn't check) of the official gameplay trailers are done with the PC version. The latest one - Jackal Canyon - is PC.
But no actual footage of people playing the PC version themselves, just controlled situations correct?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Always-honest said:
edit: thinking o buying a good gaming pc, but my GF would murder me.

Just buy one part each month and you will have all the parts in no time ( and you will not even feel that you spend a lot of money this way) and also use GAF's "I need a New PC" thread to search for cheaper components and deals.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
B-Dex said:
From what I've played of the PS3 version it is blatantly obvious, even if you turn at normal speeds, the textures popping in and getting more detailed.

Yeah. I noticed that a lot in the videos. :/

Top Bottom