• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

LabouredSubterfuge said:
What does GPU transcoding do?

The megatextures are stored in an HD Photo-like format (something like a more advanced jpeg image compression codec) because it gave them the best possible compression, but the downside is that this means they cannot be used directly by the GPU.

So they have to be transcoded on the fly to a format the GPU can use. The PS3 has the edge on the 360 here because it uses some of its numerous cores to do that in the background, and on the PC if you have an nvidia graphics card it uses CUDA to do that super-fast.

forrest

formerly nacire
Called the game store to get the remaining balance on my pre-order. "Oh sir, you've got about 21 dollars left to pay before pickup...Oh wait, you ordered the pc version? Then you only owe 7 more dollars!"

Master Race confirmed!

jett

D-Member
angular graphics said:
The megatextures are stored in an HD Photo-like format (something like a more advanced jpeg image compression codec) because it gave them the best possible compression, but the downside is that this means they cannot be used directly by the GPU.

So they have to be transcoded on the fly to a format the GPU can use. The PS3 has the edge on the 360 here because it uses some of its numerous cores to do that in the background, and on the PC if you have an nvidia graphics card it uses CUDA to do that super-fast.

ATI fucked all day, every day.

angular graphics said:

Ah sweet. Works for me!

delta25

Banned
Hazaro said:
Code:
Rage Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or Equivalent AMD
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 25GB of hard disk space
GFX: GeForce 8800, Radeon HD 4200

Rage Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
RAM: 4GB
GFX: GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Radeon HD 5550

It's like. Wait what?
Carmack just tapping the inner power of OpenGL and good drivers most likely. I'll still need to see it running 60FPS for myself though on low hardware.

Based on the recommended requirements it just seems to good to be true. I have both the 360 and PC version pre-ordered but I'm going to wait and see what the final outcome is for the PC version in regards to the overall performance, if its good I'll get the PC version, if its bad I'll get the 360 version.

Salsa

delta25 said:
Based on the recommended requirements it just seems to good to be true. I have both the 360 and PC version pre-ordered but I'm going to wait and see what the final outcome is for the PC version in regards to the overall performance, if its good I'll get the PC version, if its bad I'll get the 360 version.

that's what this whole new tech is trying to achieve, it seems to good to be true cause its never been done before.

Solo

SalsaShark said:
that's what this whole new tech is trying to achieve, it seems to good to be true cause its never been done before.

That has always been Carmack's goal, from day one: to deliver cutting edge tech which could still be played on the types of systems that 90% of people have (ie. underpowered, non-uber gaming rigs). Truly the holy grail, given how contradictory those two goals are.

Gav47

Did I read something about the game running better based on how much RAM you had installed. I remember it be explained as have more RAM (6-8GB) would allow more of the textures to be loaded into memory and as such would increase the draw distance when outside.

Is this true or am I thinking of another game/technology?

Metal-Geo

Gav47 said:
Did I read something about the game running better based on how much RAM you had installed. I remember it be explained as have more RAM (6-8GB) would allow more of the textures to be loaded into memory and as such would increase the draw distance when outside.

That might make sense if the game contains a 64-bit runtime. If not, going beyond 4gb would do very little. :p

delta25

Banned
Gav47 said:

I don't think the draw distance would be a factor.

DarkChild

Banned
120 screenshots from 360 version.
* Note, this site has a bit lower quality feeds, you can expect it to look sharper than this with better quality feeds.
big_Image00048.jpg

big_Image00043.jpg

big_Image00053.jpg

big_Image00075.jpg

big_Image00004.jpg

big_Image00052.jpg

big_Image00086.jpg

big_Image00069.jpg

big_Image00081.jpg

big_Image00089.jpg

big_Image00078.jpg

big_Image00074.jpg

big_Image00012.jpg

http://www.gamesblog.it/galleria/rage-24/31

Suairyu

Banned
Gav47 said:

Incorrect. Theoretically, megatexture technology works with less than a megabyte of RAM. If it didn't, you'd never have RAGE running on 512meg RAM consoles. It isn't a RAM dependant technology - that's what is so amazing about it.

Kyaw

I might get this game if the vehicle sections are not forced. D:
I'm just sort of having bad memories from Borderlands vehicles.

M.W.

Kyaw said:

There's only 2 races you HAVE to do. Otherwise you'll be using your vehicles to traverse the map.

Kyaw

Marcellus Wallace said:
There's only 2 races you HAVE to do. Otherwise you'll be using your vehicles to traverse the map.

Sweet. I don't know anything (almost) about this game. This might be good for my enjoyment if i do get it.

Solo

The fact that Doom 4 has been worked on since 2008 makes me very happy. How fucking awesome would it be if, after Rage has released and they finally reveal Doom 4, they announce that it will be out in October 2012? So awesome.

Man

Solo said:
The fact that Doom 4 has been worked on since 2008 makes me very happy. How fucking awesome would it be if, after Rage has released and they finally reveal Doom 4, they announce that it will be out in October 2012? So awesome.
I'm betting fall 2013 as a launch title for next-gen consoles. And PC and current consoles. And Mac.
And with humongous Bethesda marketing behind it.

george_us

Good lord at those screens.

This game looks impressive as fuck in screens imo but then you add to the fact that the AI and world interaction look insane as well as it running at 60 fucking frames per second and it truly boggles the mind. Will probably go down as the most graphically impressive game this generation against juggernauts like Gears 3 and Uncharted 3.

Spookie

Man still can't believe this is out on Friday. Luckily playing at Eurogamer was enough to fill my appetite till then but god damn if the game isn't a lot of fun. :D

Man

Playing it at Eurogamer Expo, it was this game visually and then all the others. It just stood out on it's own on the floor from afar due to the smooth motion.

Wallach

Gav47 said:

This is probably what your'e thinking about:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-why-rage-will-run-better-on-pc/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Screens on this page looks amazing O_O

Ok, so I took advantage of a great Best Buy trade in deal (trade in 4 get extra $20) and pre-ordered this for PC.

So where is this Hi res texture pack I have to download? I didn't see a link to anything in the OP. Do I have to wait until I get the game home to download it?

Metal-Geo

EternalGamer said:
Ok, so I took advantage of a great Best Buy trade in deal (trade in 4 get extra $20) and pre-ordered this for PC.

So where is this Hi res texture pack I have to download? I didn't see a link to anything in the OP. Do I have to wait until I get the game home to download it?
6jht2o.png

EternalGamer said:

Carmack only mused about maybe doing something like a high res texture pack. Nothing even remotely official.

garath

Metal-Geo said:
That might make sense if the game contains a 64-bit runtime. If not, going beyond 4gb would do very little. :p

On the offial forums they were talking about a 64bit version being available for download.

AEREC

Kyaw said:

Vehicles look to handle a bit better in Rage, but I agree they were horribly implemented in Borderlands...they just didnt feel right.

Its funny that no game has been able to really nail vehicle physics and handling (in a shooter) since Halo nearly 10 years ago (aside from its sequels).

Metal-Geo

garath said:
On the offial forums they were talking about a 64bit version being available for download.
All of a sudden, my pants are fives sizes too small.

angular graphics said:
Not on launch day. It will come later and it's required to run the modding tools.
...three sizes too small.

Gav47

Metal-Geo said:
delta25 said:
I don't think the draw distance would be a factor.

OK, that's good to know, still not sure were I read that, the only thing I can remember is that the guys post made is sound like extra RAM would help because of the way RAGE automatically configures itself for each machine rather than having user controlled options.

Anyway, those 360 shots look ace. Its kind of annoying that I have to wait til Friday for the game to unlock. Maybe I'll go with a vpn...

Top Bottom