• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

AkIRA_22

I just watched the trailer on Steam... I fucking blew in my shorts. Can't wait for this game. I have been wondering what the story hook will be. It seems like a resistance fight against the pseudo government "the authority". I'm getting a feeling this will be part Fallout part Red Faction: Guerilla, not a bad thing.

Salsa

how can you guys sleep at night knowing i'll play this game 3 days later than everyone else even though im not in Europe?

you selfish bastards being all happy

Chesskid1

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0

everyone has prolly seen this, but you should watch it again, the history of ID software is very interesting.

kinda funny how one of the founders left id because they kept making violent shooters and he didn't want to make those types of games, and all these years later there is another one.. then doom 4 :)

i'm not the biggest fan of id (i didnt even play an id game to quake 3, which is one of my favorite shooters ever) but i really enjoy how they started up.

they even talked about how their games were pirated/alphas were leaked even way back in 90s.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
how can you guys sleep at night knowing i'll play this game 3 days later than everyone else even though im not in Europe?

I'll be playing this game in less than 29 hours. It's like I'm dunking on you over the internet.

Dartastic

Soviet said:
Textures may crap out if you won't install it. I saw a PS3 gameplay and it was pretty bad.
Soviet said:
Well, it's strange then. On this gameplay I saw textures loaded very slow - you could clearly saw it.
B-Dex said:
From what I've played of the PS3 version it is blatantly obvious, even if you turn at normal speeds, the textures popping in and getting more detailed.
I'm at a friend's house right now watching him play the PS3 version. The texture load times are ATROCIOUS. Absolutely inexcusable, and it really hinders the experience.

Solo

Dartastic said:
I'm at a friend's house right now watching him play the PS3 version. The texture load times are ATROCIOUS. Absolutely inexcusable, and it really hinders the experience.

Shoulda gotten the PC version

/smug

B-Dex

Just an update on my PS3 impressions. Inside "dungeons" I didn't notice the texture pop-in at all. So a majority of the issue is outside in the wasteland I guess. If you're into it you don't really notice but if you're looking for it you can see a lot of it.

Dartastic

B-Dex said:
Just an update on my PS3 impressions. Inside "dungeons" I didn't notice the texture pop-in at all. So a majority of the issue is outside in the wasteland I guess. If you're into it you don't really notice but if you're looking for it you can see a lot of it.
Are you joking? It's extremely noticeable, even when you're inside. You can walk right up to something, have it be blurry for a second or two, then clear itself up afterwards. There's tons of it. Everywhere. I'm not even the type to bitch and moan about technical problems, but this is inexcusable.

GrayFoxPL

Dartastic said:
Are you joking? It's extremely noticeable, even when you're inside. You can walk right up to something, have it be blurry for a second or two, then clear itself up afterwards. There's tons of it. Everywhere. I'm not even the type to bitch and moan about technical problems, but this is inexcusable.

Is it worse then UE3 games?

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm actually purging all other game install data on my PS3 and reformatting the drive for optimal file placement for Rage's install.

Also curious if a 7200rpm drive would make much of a difference.

Dartastic said:

is this only on the PS3 version? I have not heard anyone else complain about this.

Grayman

GrayFoxPL said:
Is it worse then UE3 games?
I have not played the console version but I assume it may be. Brink uses similar tech and even on PC has very noticable streaming. Switching weapons causes the low detail version to load each time.

Effect

What kind of replayability do you think is going to be in the game? Anyone? Just the standard different difficulties? Has id commented on that in the past?

Karak

JetBlackPanda said:
is this only on the PS3 version? I have not heard anyone else complain about this.
From what I saw the 360 has it, especially turning and seeing railings and wall textures. Moving straight forward or not suddenly turning around, you didn't notice it. On our PS3 however, it was pretty bad no matter what you were doing. Walking ahead inside some of the buildings you can see debris getting detailed texture draws pretty much constantly and twisting and looking behind you seems to be a real load on the PS3 and causes a strange hitch sometimes. So between the 2 the PS3 gets hit pretty hard compared to the 360.

Grayman

Effect said:
What kind of replayability do you think is going to be in the game? Anyone? Just the standard different difficulties? Has id commented on that in the past?
Nightmare may or may not be a non standard difficulty. The single player campaign has sounded like it is a long journey which is not my favourite thing to replay. The coop missions are a single level go kick ass affair that is probably fun on multiple times. There are the race multi missions. I think you may be able to jump into some type of an arena or racing mode as you please in SP as well but have not heard anything official on it.

From what I have seen of footage the main game is not going to be infinitely replayable like DOOM and Quake but it may be pretty good because of the weapon variety and side missions.

Karak said:
From what I saw the 360 has it, especially turning and seeing railings and wall textures. Moving straight forward or not suddenly turning around, you didn't notice it. On our PS3 however, it was pretty bad no matter what you were doing. Walking ahead inside some of the buildings you can see debris getting detailed texture draws pretty much constantly and twisting and looking behind you seems to be a real load on the PS3 and causes a strange hitch sometimes. So between the 2 the PS3 gets hit pretty hard compared to the 360.
Have you played the two side by side? I don't think it's responsible to tell people the PS3 version is inferior until we have concrete proof, not just opinions based on videos.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Watching the id-documentary made me super hyped. I want to buy this game now... but I'm 100% clueless with computers at this day and age. Will my computer handle it "fine" (maybe medium graphics?) at 1080p?

i5 2.67GHz
8gb ram
Geforcegtx 275

Karak

perineumlick said:
Have you played the two side by side? I don't think it's responsible to tell people the PS3 version is inferior until we have concrete proof, not just opinions based on videos.
Yep, otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Karak

TheVampire said:
Am I the only one who hates the sound of the pistol?
No I hate it as well. It has a really strange sound to it and doesn't seem to have the kick that I expected sound wide. It also seems a bit underpowered:(.

GrayFoxPL

Dartastic said:
By far. It is quite literally, almost everywhere.

Oh shit. Major bummer. I'm not stingy guy about gfx but texture lod totally throws me out off experience.

Definitely considering not getting it.

SalsaShark said:

I'll suffer with you man. I ordered the disk version over the internet and there is now way I'll be getting it on the release date.

Gvaz

Banned
Here's what a buddy had to say about his experience with the 360 version:

The best thing in this game was they got John Goodman for a voice actor, and there was a Doomguy bobblehead in the opening. Other than that it's a Fallout/Borderlands environments with shitty vehicles that launch you for ragdoll physics, and a movement system that reveals the fact that it was designed for a mouse only.

Enemies will run at you, flipping and rolling, and you will be able to shoot them only if you were lucky enough to have started where they were standing. If you were to the left or the right, strafing moves you a full foot either way even with minimum stick pressure.

You walk around everywhere with your gun drawn, which makes the dialogue awkward if you ask me. This wouldn't be an issue if this weren't fucking 2011, and they weren't making this game for the past 300 years. The dialogue itself is best read through the shitty subtitles that were more concerned with looking as though they're a part of the world, instead of "something that's there so you can read what was said." There is no skip ahead button for dialogue, so if you want to retrieve your next fetch quest from random Bartertown resident, you have to start them talking, then run 50 feet away until you're out of their talking range, and when you come back they'll be on the next node of the dialogue tree. Repeat until quest page comes up ala Dead Island.

Enemies will drop weapons. You cannot pick them up. You return to the same Ghost hideout about 50 times within the first hour of the game.

The vehicle dynamics are shit. Races suck and are victim to immense rubber-banding (presumably because id is not known for their racing games) you can game the nitro on vehicles by tap tap tap tap tapping the button, because the nitro is a full bar that refills faster than the tap rebounds. The races are stupid as fuck and feel tacked on not in that UT2004 way of "other games have cars now, so here's some cars. I guess they kind of work. Neat!", but in the sense of "we just made a new engine, and we need to sell it to prospective buyers so that our programmer can continue his hobby of attempting to leave to return to his home planet where this bone-stock gameplay is still good, so lets put some cars in there in the hopes that a company will buy it for their next racing game, even though said game would have to be woefully small to make up for the complexity of the engine."

The story is straight out of Fallout (or rather whatever Fallout is based on, but since Fallout 3 was such a recent success, drawing parallels is required) you're some asshole who was put into an "ark" (vault) because an asteroid was hitting earth. You're filled with nanites that explain the regenerative healing, and 100 years later you are released from your cryosleep in the ark and picked up by John Goodman.

The fucking thing is 3 discs, feels like shit, and I'm glad it's not a fucking Doom or Quake game, because to release one of those with these mechanics would tarnish their pretty good history (Quality being: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Quake 2, 4, ETQW) as I like Doom and Quake.

Karak

CrankyKong said:
Could the texture loading problem be patched?

Many things can indeed be patched out. But with their release schedule, and their internal philosophy, I would ASSUME that this was as good as they can get it with current console tech. I mean its not bad, the game is fun and if playing on a 360 the texture loading is negligible as long as your not spinning like a fool:)

Who knows basically. Depends on just how hard they are pushing the systems and from the looks of both versions, they are pushing them very hard. The game is beautiful by the way. As in amazing looking, clean, the characters are insanely textured. Just has a couple little niggles here and there.

I would assume though that something like that, is probably going to stay just due to the tech.

Salsa

You walk around everywhere with your gun drawn, which makes the dialogue awkward if you ask me. This wouldn't be an issue if this weren't fucking 2011, and they weren't making this game for the past 300 years

this is an honest complaint of his?

edit: continued reading, maybe id pay attention to your buddy's complaints if he wasnt saying "shitty, fuckin" etc that to me mean nothing. lol @ comments about Carmack as well.

Gvaz

Banned
Just minimize it/update it for PC users who can obviously push this bad boy to the limits.

SalsaShark said:
I dunno, being able to holster your gun in any fps with dialogue is pretty standard in these kinds of games, either automatically holstered or manually with a button. Not sure why RAGE doesn't have it.

But thinking about it, you have a gun to the NPC's face while he talks to you nonchalantly. Doesn't this irk you at all?

Karak

SalsaShark said:

I ignored that one as its just the way many games work sadly.

However, some things he was right on.
The sticks are sensitive as hell.

Stuff I didn't have any issue with that he did.

Rubberbanding
Didn't come close to returning to the main shack 50 times. Maybe 10-11...as that is your main base it sort of makes sense. Not sure if he wanted a hovership that followed him or what:)
The cars and races fit in perfectly with the story and the Mad Max feel. Honestly Fallout 3 was missing them, unless you modded it. In that aspect this tromps all over Fallout.
Dialogue tree issues. Worked perfectly on both the PS3 and 360. Not even sure what he is meaning but sounds like a bug or...well I am not sure even.
The gun goes down during convo but you can pull it back up if you want. That's I guess a player issue more than anything.

And so far the AI is insanely fun and very very very challenging:)

It is a tighter and less open game for sure. But it makes Fallout 3 look like a Genesis game.

JdFoX187

Banned
SalsaShark said:

edit: continued reading, maybe id pay attention to your buddy's complaints if he wasnt saying "shitty, fuckin" etc that to me mean nothing. lol @ comments about Carmack as well.
I was reading that and thinking the same thing. I almost started laughing.

Salsa

GrayFoxPL said:
Shit is starting to come down.

Now I'm worried.

dude jumps to the conclusion that because there's cars to get around id is making this just to sell the engine to other companies to make racing games, because Carmack is some archaic old man who doesnt know how to make games anymore (even though he's just the technical director and works on the engine).

That should tell you the amount of attention you should pay to those impressions, except for the factual stuff (gun being on all the time, not being able to pick-up weapons your enemies throw..)

AkIRA_22

Gvaz said:

His first mistake was buying the console version, it's and Id game. Sure they released it on the PS3/360, and it should be given the same treatment but really it's a PC game. It's like saying the PC Halo sucked but it's a console game, meant to be played on a console.

His experiences with the structure of receiving quests and unskippable dialogue which raises alarm bells for me. But again, the PC version is the best choice as it has the ability to be easily patched. I guess we'll all find out in a week.

garath

Gvaz said:

He lost me at the vehicles are shit. From early feedback that was one of the best parts of the game. I guess he struggled a little without his auto aim too.

Gvaz

Banned
I haven't played the game, but I'm curiously interested since it seems like the iD version of Borderlands.

I have no loyalty to Carmack's cock or whatever some of you seem to have. I've played quake and doom and all that stuff though. (just not doom 3 or quake 4 to completion)

GrayFoxPL

Karak said:
I ignored that one as its just the way many games work sadly.

However, some things he was right on.
The sticks are sensitive as hell.

Stuff I didn't have any issue with that he did.

Rubberbanding
Didn't come close to returning to the main shack 50 times. Maybe 10-11...as that is your main base it sort of makes sense. Not sure if he wanted a hovership that followed him or what:)
The cars and races fit in perfectly with the story and the Mad Max feel. Honestly Fallout 3 was missing them, unless you modded it. In that aspect this tromps all over Fallout.

It is a tighter and less open game for sure.

What about mashing nitro? That looks like serious flaw in racing.

Salsa

what i can guess from Gvaz's buddies impressions is that he's too used to what console games do nowadays. Many of the impressions were praising the removal of auto-aiming on consoles, and said that worked great, this dude is clearly not enjoying that.

As with any game: youre gonna like it or youre not, its up to whoever plays it. The funny stuff about the impressions is why the dude is so pissed off or something, jumping to conclusions and making fun of the people behind the game.

Gvaz said:
I have no loyalty to Carmack's cock or whatever some of you seem to have. I've played quake and doom and all that stuff though. (just not doom 3 or quake 4 to completion)

Carmack isnt a game designer, Carmack is a tech guy. The only "loyalty to carmack's cock" that we have is from the technical side of things: game's gonna run great, its not gonna be taxing, and its gonna look amazing.

Top Bottom