• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Karak

GrayFoxPL said:
What about mashing nitro? That looks like serious flaw in racing.

You don't mash it. Its a rechargable situation. Just like about 90% of games with Nitro where it isn't an item that stops working. And it doesn't recharge near that fast, though it is speedy. And it works great in races.

george_us

SalsaShark said:
what i can guess from Gvaz's buddies impressions is that he's too used to what console games do nowadays. Many of the impressions were praising the removal of auto-aiming on consoles, and said that worked great, this dude is clearly not enjoying that.

As with any game: youre gonna like it or youre not, its up to whoever plays it. The funny stuff about the impressions is why the dude is so pissed off or something, jumping to conclusions and making fun of the people behind the game.
What I can guess from Gvaz's buddy is that he's a moron.

delta25

Banned
AkIRA_22 said:
His first mistake was buying the console version, it's and Id game. Sure they released it on the PS3/360, and it should be given the same treatment but really it's a PC game.

This is so far from the truth, there's nothing about Rage that's meant to be played on the PC. id's pedigree has no bearing on what platform Rage should be played on.

Gvaz

Banned
If you point your gun down that's okay but it's lazy compared to putting the gun totally away. That's HL2/Fear levels right there, and tons of games after it just holster that shit.

As for nitro, there's been other vehicle sections in games where you could game the system in that fashion but that's not a deal breaker for me.

If there's lots of backtracking, that's a big negative.

Story being derivative is whatever, as long as the combat makes up for it.

jediyoshi

Amazon'd just because I had some extra credit lying around. Would be nice (and totally impractical) if they had a service where someone could just straight up open the package after ordering and just send you the key.

Karak

Gvaz said:
If you point your gun down that's okay but it's lazy compared to putting the gun totally away. That's HL2/Fear levels right there, and tons of games after it just holster that shit.

As for nitro, there's been other vehicle sections in games where you could game the system in that fashion but that's not a deal breaker for me.

If there's lots of backtracking, that's a big negative.

Story being derivative is whatever, as long as the combat makes up for it.

Its first person, you can't tell if he puts it away when he puts it down? Do you mean some sound effect that says, "I have put my gun away?"

Backtracking is there only in the aspect that you again, have to get missions and don't have a guy to call on a radio to give them to you remotely.
In the first 40 minutes you end up having 2 settlements and 2 other hotspots you can go to for quests. Not sure what your friend had an issue with. In fact the game is loaded with sidequests and just like Fallout or other RPG's you go back to the places the quest is given to turn it in. By supplies, and so forth.

Nitro is nitro and its a race, so I am ok with that as well.

But again, each to their own the AI and gameplay is outstanding from what I have played. So I think you will dig it.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Carmack isnt a game designer, Carmack is a tech guy. The only "loyalty to carmack's cock" that we have is from the technical side of things: game's gonna run great, its not gonna be taxing, and its gonna look amazing.
You realize I'm just playing with you when I said that :p

GrayFoxPL

Karak said:
You don't mash it. Its a rechargable situation. Just like about 90% of games with Nitro where it isn't an item that stops working. And it doesn't recharge near that fast, though it is speedy. And it works great in races.

No I meant if it's really broken by mashing thus being charged all the time like that guy implicated. If not that's cool.

I have a just-to-be-sure question about the texture load on ps3:

Do the textures stay loaded. Like if I'll walk 20 steps from one place and then come back, will they be loaded or is it reloading them all the time?

Deadbeat

Banned
delta25 said:
I may be wrong but the PC version suffers the same problem albeit not sever as the consoles.
We dont know that yet. But considering they have no PC footage shown where it wasnt a controlled media release I am now interested in seeing how fucked up the PC version is. I mean it could be okay, or it could be like Brink. The meltdowns will be a great read if its like Brink.

Enemies that won't sit still making it difficult to aim... sounds great!

I suspect a lot of reviews will bash the game for not feeling like a console game, but I'm quite happy with these reports.

Really though, Bethesda should have sent out PC review copies. It seems obvious that's how the game was meant to be played.

Karak

GrayFoxPL said:
No I meant if it's really broken by mashing thus being charged all the time like that guy implicated. If not that's cool.

I have a just-to-be-sure question about the texture load on ps3:

Do the textures stay loaded. Like if I'll walk 20 steps from one place and then come back, will they be loaded or is it reloading them all the time?

No if you walk into the first enemy stronghold then turn around, the PS3 loads them again as you walk forward in either direction.

The 360 does this when you spin fast but doesn't seem to do it when just walking forward no matter where you are going....or when running like a ninny backwards like I have to do against the enemies. AI is amazing. Simply said. Having a great time with it.

I agree that many console fans will find the enemies hard as hell at first, and of course thats what I like the most. You end up feeling pretty satisified taking enemies out and getting out alive.

1 Problem. Fucking main handgun. Headshots on unhelmeted foes should kill. And sometimes these don't.

Salsa

Poimandres said:
Really though, Bethesda should have sent out PC review copies. It seems obvious that's how the game was meant to be played.

the biggest selling point they've been pumping is the tech behind it, the new megatextures and whatnot. All of that is designed from the ground up with consoles in mind, in order to achieve better framerate without sacrificing graphics. Makes sense that this is the early stuff they wanna show. No one's gonna be surprised of a game looking this good and running this smooth on PC.

GrayFoxPL

Karak said:
No if you walk into the first enemy stronghold then turn around, the PS3 loads them again as you walk forward in either direction.

The 360 does this when you spin fast but doesn't seem to do it when just walking forward no matter where you are going....or when running like a ninny backwards like I have to do against the enemies. AI is amazing. Simply said. Having a great time with it.

That's fucked up. Sorry but now my hype is dropping fast. Knowing myself I'd super extra careful not to make any sudden moves not to see the game world retexturing itself every 5 seconds.

Gvaz

Banned
spirity said:
Salsa is my internet bro, I need to actually play some games with him though!

I like teasing people though I suppose that doesn't translate well over the internet.

Salsa

GrayFoxPL said:
That's fucked up. Sorry but now my hype is dropping fast. Knowing myself I'd super extra careful not to make any sudden moves not to see the game world retexturing itself every 5 seconds.

what platform are you gonna play on?

Karak

GrayFoxPL said:

I can see that bothering people. And sometimes, for some games I am like that. I am sticking with the 360 and due to that rarely seeing the issue. But if you look for it...ya it is there for sure. Just par for the course sadly.

For the PC we can hope it doesn't work like that. It sounded like, from Carmack's talks, that the consoles have that due to some tradeoffs. So lets keep our fingers crossed for the PC version for sure.

Deadbeat said:
We dont know that yet. But considering they have no PC footage shown where it wasnt a controlled media release I am now interested in seeing how fucked up the PC version is. I mean it could be okay, or it could be like Brink. The meltdowns will be a great read if its like Brink.

It's there in the PC version as well, but it's the least noticeable of the three platforms. This is simply a reality of the way the technology works, Carmack himself has admitted this.

Deadbeat

Banned
Great Rumbler said:
It's there in the PC version as well, but it's the least noticeable of the three platforms. This is simply a reality of the way the technology works, Carmack himself has admitted this.
Then why not render shit even further out on PC so its not there? PCs dont have this stupid ~450mb ram limit.

Gvaz

Banned
Also PC users won't have as much texture loading issues (or shouldn't anyways...) because we have more available resources to work with.

Fjordson said:
Everyone knows you're not a real gamer if you're playing on consoles.
Also this

Salsa

GrayFoxPL said:
PS3

Maybe I'll look for that "first 20 minutes" video and check textures there. I avoided spoilers, but now I might as well see it.

id say you do that

i think youre only gonna notice it if youre looking for it.

Gvaz said:
Also PC users won't have as much texture loading issues (or shouldn't anyways...) because we have more available resources to work with.

we wont because memory cache!

M.W.

Hmmm, hearing the texture issue on the PS3 is making me double think my purchase. I'd get it for the 360, but I don't have that amount of room on my HDD to install.

nel e nel

Gvaz said:
I dunno, being able to holster your gun in any fps with dialogue is pretty standard in these kinds of games, either automatically holstered or manually with a button. Not sure why RAGE doesn't have it.

But thinking about it, you have a gun to the NPC's face while he talks to you nonchalantly. Doesn't this irk you at all?

Your gun is holstered when you are in Wellspring, and the gun raises from an aiming position when talking with NPCs outside of Wellspring.

M.W.

GrayFoxPL said:
PS3

Maybe I'll look for that "first 20 minutes" video and check textures there. I avoided spoilers, but now I might as well see it.

Please post a link when you find it. Thanks.

delta25 said:

No auto-aim and the speed of combat seem to cater to KB/M more than controller. This doesn't surprise me given id's heritage.

It's a recurring sentiment in many of the hands on impressions. "Feels like a PC game", "movement is too sensitive" etc.

Karak

Marcellus Wallace said:
Hmmm, hearing the texture issue on the PS3 is making me double think my purchase. I'd get it for the 360, but I don't have that amount of room on my HDD to install.

If the texture issue is that bothersome, you can indeed install 1 disk at a time on the 360. That's another thing. I can't figure out why the install time is so short on this game versus others. The install was like 1/2 1/4th the time. I kept thinking something was wrong.

M.W.

Karak said:
If the texture issue is that bothersome, you can indeed install 1 disk at a time on the 360. That's another thing. I can't figure out why the install time is so short on this game versus others. The install was like 1/2 1/4th the time. I kept thinking something was wrong.

I really don't think I'd notice it, but after sitting in this thread reading through some of the replies...I think I now would notice it. lol

Edit: I see Zenimax is pulling videos from YT now. D'oh.

delta25

Banned
Karak said:

I believe you only need to install the first disk because it has all the texture data on it.

Karak

areal said:

Ouch. I can attest that all the texturing and so forth thats in that video isn't THAT bad on the PS3. The ground textures don't foggy and unfoggy that close to you. They do it but its a bit farther out, at least it was when playing it.

Though at 1:35 and 4:25 its really easy to see the textures haven't overlaid on the ground and later in the walls at all.

One of the good things is inside, like that video, its not that bad in places. Outside is indeed a bit worse as show in the dune buggy levels where the detail texture is maybe 9 feet in front of the car:(

george_us

Karak said:
Ouch. I can attest that all the texturing and so forth thats in that video isn't THAT bad on the PS3. The ground textures don't foggy and unfoggy that close to you. They do it but its a bit farther out, at least it was when playing it.

Though at 1:35 and 4:25 its really easy to see the textures haven't overlaid on the ground and later in the walls at all.

One of the good things is inside, like that video, its not that bad in places. Outside is indeed a bit worse as show in the dune buggy levels where the detail texture is maybe 9 feet in front of the car:(
Are you serious? I could BARELY see the texture pop-in in that video and I had to fucking squint to see it. If this is as bad as it gets on the PS3 version then I just breathed a huge sigh of relief. No way in hell that was any worse than any UE3 game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus Christ, why does this game look so fucking good?!

kamspy

Yoshichan said:
Watching the id-documentary made me super hyped. I want to buy this game now... but I'm 100% clueless with computers at this day and age. Will my computer handle it "fine" (maybe medium graphics?) at 1080p?

i5 2.67GHz
8gb ram
Geforcegtx 275

Yes.

Karak

george_us said:
Are you serious? I could BARELY see the texture pop-in in that video and I had the fucking squint to see it. If this is as bad as it gets on the PS3 version then I just breathed a huge sigh of relief. No way in hell that was any worse than any UE3 game.

Video.
Sadly that aint the same thing as playing. Hey, I love the game so I am not hammering it. Just saying what to expect in the actual game and in the outdoorsy parts versus a video. When you get it up and running 720p or 1080p or whatever res you run at, its there.

Again I love it so it doesn't bother me at all. But twisting around, or walking forward on the PS3 version, is going to net you texture popin. No denying it. I would just say, buy it and then you can actually say if it is better or worse. I wasn't the one bringing up UE3 games, so I am not sure what you mean. But if you are talking about say a ME game, ya those are atrocious at times.

As I have been saying, the AI, and the world make up for it, well at least to me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
george_us said:
Are you serious? I could BARELY see the texture pop-in in that video and I had the fucking squint to see it. If this is as bad as it gets on the PS3 version then I just breathed a huge sigh of relief. No way in hell that was any worse than any UE3 game.
Yeah it isnt bad at all. I think its because they are smarter with how close the low res and high res match. UE3 games are definitely worse.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think this game is my most hyped game with Batman. I'm so damn excited. It's the visuals man.

Great Rumbler said:

From QuakeCon:

We still got time to make significant pushes on the PC side of things, we do not have any crazy PC specific features that are going into the rendering but there's actually a lot of things -- in the near term like initial shipping version for PC we need to tune how big we can make the textures where people that have multigigabyte videocards, that 4k by 4k texture on the consoles? We should be able to turn that into a 16k by 16k texture so that once things are resident in that you can make quite a bit of moving around without ever actually having to transcode anything else again.

GrayFoxPL

Don't have time to watch it all but from what I've seen... Overreaction total.

Pfft I expected a clusterfuck, shit looks great. Day 1.

Thing about enemies running at you while doing saltos and other circus jumps - funny as fuck! :D

About auto aim - you can turn it off in most console fpses what I do sometimes.
Aiming on a pad w/o autoaim takes 5 times more skill to then on a mouse so actually it's pc gamers that go easy way. ;)

Definity

Getting this bad boy on the PC but I watched those PS3 vids posted above and I don't see "unreal engine" texture pop in. There might have been some slight pop-in but who the fuck cares. I'm just happy this thing runs at 60fps. Kinda blows my mind that's even possible with the fidelity I've seen in some of the official videos that have been released.

Top Bottom