• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

moop2000 said:
I'd argue most don't have release day embargos and I believe it does speak to quality or lack thereof.
Zenimax has done the release day embargo thing before though so this isn't really a surprise coming from them.

Amon37

GrayFoxPL said:
That's fucked up. Sorry but now my hype is dropping fast. Knowing myself I'd super extra careful not to make any sudden moves not to see the game world retexturing itself every 5 seconds.
It can't be any worse than PS3 Borderland texture streaming. That's ridiculous.

Gav47

To anyone that says they can't see the texture pop in watch the top of the valve and the side of the shed at the time mark at 720p. That's the worst example I could find and its really not that bad, certainly not Unreal 3 levels.

M.W.

Gav47 said:
To anyone that says they can't see the texture pop in watch the top of the valve and the side of the shed at the time mark at 720p. That's the worst example I could find and its really not that bad, certainly not Unreal 3 levels.

Yeah, it's really just nitpicking. This game runs like a beast.

Eusis

Gvaz said:
Xenoblade, Nier....
I think the REAL question is who cares so long as the gameplay's awesome and the story doesn't get in the way? I'll play something like Nier for the story, but this for shooting and and a pseudo open world.

Wallach

moop2000 said:
I'd argue most don't have release day embargos and I believe it does speak to quality or lack thereof.

Then you misunderstand why games like RAGE or Dark Souls (or other upcoming games like Skyrim) have embargos like this. It's so they can guarantee that on the day the game releases all of the major gaming websites are running the review as a featured article that day. The higher profile a title, the more likely it will be that the embargo extends up to the release date since they expect high reviews to begin with and they want to exploit the free advertising to the fullest.

Worry when you have a low-profile title that runs embargo up to release and does not leverage an "exclusive" review with a major media outlet. But even in the case where a publisher does not expect high reviews, they will typically avoid a release date embargo.

Grayman

Wallach said:
Then you misunderstand why games like RAGE or Dark Souls (or other upcoming games like Skyrim) have embargos like this. It's so they can guarantee that on the day the game releases all of the major gaming websites are running the review as a featured article that day. The higher profile a title, the more likely it will be that the embargo extends up to the release date since they expect high reviews to begin with and they want to exploit the free advertising to the fullest.

Worry when you have a low-profile title that runs embargo up to release and does not leverage an "exclusive" review with a major media outlet. But even in the case where a publisher does not expect high reviews, they will typically avoid a release date embargo.
PC indie titles prefer to hold back most publication until the game is available because they want an immediate purchase so the positive word is not forgotten before the game comes out. That may become an issue for B titles as well.

Tortfeasor

kx11 said:
201110324512m2tssnapsho.png

201110324512m2tssnapsho.png

this is from my ps3 version a direct feed capture using happauge HD PVR

i will post gameplay footage on my channel ( i hope i don't suck this time lolz )

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKQgaming

neogaf thnx for activating my account after nearly 15 months of waiting :(
Just watched the PS3 feed and my hype for this has really decreased. I was hoping for something a bit more open and RPG like, but the game looks like any old corridor shooter to me, just with the illusion of being outside. Maybe its just me but the game was really boring.

Obviously It was just a 13 minute feed, so I won't make any judgments now, but I will not pick it up day one anymore... I think I will wait for the reviews and wider player feedback.

Gattsu25

Banned
Tortfeasor said:
Just watched the PS3 feed and my hype for this has really decreased. I was hoping for something a bit more open and RPG like, but the game looks like any old corridor shooter to me, just with the illusion of being outside. Maybe its just me but the game was really boring.

Obviously It was just a 13 minute feed, so I won't make any judgments now, but I will not pick it up day one anymore... I think I will wait for the reviews and wider player feedback.
It's a FPS with some RPG elements and vehicles. It is not an open world RPG.

This is more what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9M3SdoHmLY#t=3m45s

M.W.

AlkalineProdigy said:
I did every side mission and most of the races.

And you beat the game in 10 hours? On easy?

Seems like the game could take quite a bit more time than that.

Wallach said:

That doesn't address the fact that this is not the norm and it speaks to the quality of the game in that the perception is it is not good. But we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Eusis

moop2000 said:
That doesn't address the fact that this is not the norm and it speaks to the quality of the game in that the perception is it is not good. But we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Except "agree to disagree" doesn't work when it's something that's objective, like a company policy. Doing a quick search on Fallout: New Vegas on MetaCritic showed no review publications before the release date, and while you could possibly argue a fear over being slammed about bugs (despite averaging above 80) Fallout 3's reviews on GameSpot was dated the day of release with IGN the day before, I guess published the night before. Given the praise Fallout 3 got I highly doubt they embargoed the review out of fear of critics slamming it.

Wallach

moop2000 said:

It is pretty much the norm now for high-profile releases. In fact about every game that has come out this year that realistically has a shot at receiving GotY awards from the media had - or will have - run embargo up to 24 hours before street date at the earliest.

It is not the norm industry wide because on average most video games are kind of crap and it doesn't serve a publishers interest to embargo if they risk a low Metacritic average. An embargo run on a game that reviews poorly does more damage than poor review scores spread out before street date.

Played 3 hours and reached
the big town
which is awesome.

I think it's pretty damn rad. Basically what I wanted Borderlands to be. The art design and graphics in general are incredible. Shooting and driving mechanics are solid. Really enjoy the RPG elements that it has. Only issues I can see are texture pop-in/loads (360) and horrendous checkpoint save system (doesn't even do it after you beat a mission). The game can be pretty tough even on Normal so save often indeed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I caved and bought on Steam a few hours ago for $65. Damn it hurts to pay this much for PC games. I'm now pre-loaded and ready to go, but is the Steam Store accurate when it says it will be unlocking in 22 hours (10pm PST on the 3rd of October)? Seems like an odd time to release the game.

JambiBum

Wallach said:
It is pretty much the norm now for high-profile releases. In fact about every game that has come out this year that realistically has a shot at receiving GotY awards from the media had - or will have - run embargo up to 24 hours before street date at the earliest.

It is not the norm industry wide because on average most video games are kind of crap and it doesn't serve a publishers interest to embargo if they risk a low Metacritic average. An embargo run on a game that reviews poorly does more damage than poor review scores spread out before street date.
Gears 3 had reviews coming out around a week and a half before release.

So we still don't know if RAGE is region free yet? There are some pretty good prices out there, but I'm concerned it will require a VPN. If a Steam Key was Russian, would the language in game be Russian?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sutton Dagger said:
So we still don't know if RAGE is region free yet? There are some pretty good prices out there, but I'm concerned it will require a VPN.

Some resellers mention it being region-free (I imagine others are still waiting on stock). In any case, CDKeysHere offer a guide to activating a region-locked Russian key.

If a Steam Key was Russian, would the language in game be Russian?

Highly unlikely. Reputable resellers will mention the game being "language-locked".

Eusis

JambiBum said:
Gears 3 had reviews coming out around a week and a half before release.
It's undoubtedly less a game-by-game thing and more a company-by-company thing. Microsoft apparently sees no harm in an early review (or no benefit to an embargoed one), whereas Bethesda for at LEAST the last few years sees it as more useful to have embargos. EA's the same way last I heard, everything's on embargo regardless.

JaseC said:
Some resellers mention it being region-free (I imagine others are still waiting on stock). In any case, CDKeysHere offer a guide to activating a region-locked Russian key.

Highly unlikely. Reputable resellers will mention the game being "language-locked".

Cheers for the info mate, hopefully it's region free. I guess the biggest issue is determining whether a site is reputable or not, the prices are tempting though.

Welp, Valve has changed the countdown timer to match what the PR guy said from Bethesda about the midnight launch eastern, hooray! 21 more hours to go!

duffyside said:
Wow, watching the youtube clip of MrKQgaming and damn, this game has some awesome sound work.

Yep, id completely "gets" what makes gunfire sound awesome. Complete 180 from DooM3 which had some pretty weak sounding weapons.

JaseC

Sutton Dagger said:
Cheers for the info mate, hopefully it's region free. I guess the biggest issue is determining whether a site is reputable or not, the prices are tempting though.

No worries. If in doubt, just ask if somebody has purchased from a particular site before. In my experience with CD key resellers, IntKeys, CJS, CDKeysHere and G2Play are all fine (G2Play seem to have a somewhat murky reputation, though).

JaseC

3chopl0x said:
So any word on if those key sites will give the pre-order bonuses or?

I don't think so, since they're retail keys. CJS sell the Anarchy Edition, however.

JaseC

3chopl0x said:
Same price as the UK steam store..

Yep. :p I don't know what the go is with keys that pertain to special digital editions. They're obviously not bought in bulk at retail.

Wag

Zefah said:
I caved and bought on Steam a few hours ago for $65. Damn it hurts to pay this much for PC games. I'm now pre-loaded and ready to go, but is the Steam Store accurate when it says it will be unlocking in 22 hours (10pm PST on the 3rd of October)? Seems like an odd time to release the game.
On sale @ Best Buy for $50.

JaseC said:
No worries. If in doubt, just ask if somebody has purchased from a particular site before. In my experience with CD key resellers, IntKeys, CJS, CDKeysHere and G2Play are all fine (G2Play seem to have a somewhat murky reputation, though).

Well I was looking at IntKeys who I heard were pretty good, but someone posted in their support chat about a site called yuplay.ru. It's a Russian site, but it comes out at about $16 for RAGE...might be too risky though.

JambiBum

JaseC said:
Yep. :p I don't know what the go is with keys that pertain to special digital editions. They're obviously not bought in bulk at retail.
How do the keys work? Like where would you download the game from?

JaseC

Sutton Dagger said:
Well I was looking at IntKeys who I heard were pretty good, but someone posted in their support chat about a site called yuplay.ru. It's a Russian site, but it comes out at about $16 for RAGE...might be too risky though.

Never heard of it myself. Personally, I'd avoid unfamiliar websites.

JambiBum said:
How do the keys work? Like where would you download the game from?

Depends on the game. GfWL keys you'd activate through GfWL games, Origin keys through Origin, Steamworks keys through Steam, and so on.

Sutton Dagger said:

I looked up IntKeys and G2Play and read very bad comments about them, like "DO NOT BUY FROM G2PLAY", that kind of thing, but hey maybe it'll be fine for one person and the other one will get a code that's already been used (read that it was often the case on G2Play).

JaseC

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
I looked up IntKeys and G2Play and read very bad comments about them, like "DO NOT BUY FROM G2PLAY", that kind of thing, but hey maybe it'll be fine for one person and the other one will get a code that's already been used (read that it was often the case on G2Play).

Yeah, someone in the Steam thread was sent a used key by G2Play. He did receive a new one after some back-and-forth, though.

Top Bottom