• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Wag

OK, I just pre-ordered the PC version w/50%+ trade-in deal at Best Buy. If it sucks everyone here is going to have to pay me $1.:p

The asst mgr told me he got to play the 360 version at a press-junket over the weekend. He told me the game was a lot of fun and some of the bosses took quite a long time to beat. More than average for a FPS is what he said.

cgcg

Interesting, PS3 version to have less texture pop-in?

John Carmack discussed as recently as QuakeCon earlier this month some of the issues with optimising Rage on all platforms, and confirmed that tech limitations still result in such things as texture pop-in on versions of the game.

Willits told NowGamer that the way Rage uses the PS3's multi-core processors would reduce pop-in.

"The extra cores are assigned to work on textures in the background, as there's tons of visual data on the blu ray and on the hard drive," he explained. "We load compressed JPG data, and assign those extra cores to work on these textures, and uncompress them in the background so there is no nasty pop up, or blurred textures."

Meier

I so want to get this game but I won't have the required available HDD space for my 360 until I upgrade.. oh well. :(

aeolist

Banned
Wag said:
OK, I just pre-ordered the PC version w/50%+ trade-in deal at Best Buy. If it sucks everyone here is going to have to pay me $1.:p

The asst mgr told me he got to play the 360 version at a press-junket over the weekend. He told me the game was a lot of fun and some of the bosses took quite a long time to beat. More than average for a FPS is what he said.
Oh the PC version works too? I only saw the console versions online.

Will need to pick that up.

Salsa

Cystm said:
I was only somewhat interested in this game until I read through this OT. Got me hyped. Well done.

you've just been Carmack'd

ibqpzPRosKNtOw.gif

garath

Well, failing to find a better deal I pre-ordered the PC version on Amazon with the $10 promo credit. I order so much stuff from Amazon it's as good as $10 off.

This is only the 3rd game I've pre-ordered this year. I can't wait.

Chesskid1

Banned
most games ship to stores on thursday/friday so we can prolly expect direct feed footage around then, except for PC version of course. was fun with LA Noire.

Man

If no or little texture pop-in then that's a big win. Carmack described it as one of the engines main flaws.
You get it every time you turn around (especially if you back up a long way and then turn around).

jfkgoblue

game looks badass... still trying to decide between PC Version and 360 version, the game will look so much better on my laptop, but I just prefer playing games on a console for some reason

spirity

iD are legends in my eyes, the Doom and Quake series astounded me as I was growing up. Getting Rage was never even a question. Can't wait.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
jfkgoblue said:
game looks badass... still trying to decide between PC Version and 360 version, the game will look so much better on my laptop, but I just prefer playing games on a console for some reason

Shhh. You'll upset the master.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
jfkgoblue said:

I was about to laugh and give you the obvious answer, but a laptop? Hmmm. Screen size could possibly diminish the experience. I'd probably get it on the console if those were my only two options.

Brannon

Stahsky said:
I was about to laugh and give you the obvious answer, but a laptop? Hmmm. Screen size could possibly diminish the experience. I'd probably get it on the console if those were my only two options.

BAH! He can pipe his laptop visuals to his monitor. Like a bauce.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Damn. Just saw a commercial for this last night. Went from completely off my radar to totally fucking hyped. Looks incredible.

jfkgoblue

Stahsky said:
have a 24 inch 1080p moniter that i hookup my xbox and laptop to... so screen size would be the same

dmshaposv

jfkgoblue said:

It is an id software game - it'll probably be better optimized and have the right feel on a PC due to their experience on that platform (just like any PC dev like Valve, Crytek, e.t.c)

Grinchy

Banned
jfkgoblue said:
Get the 360 version. Gaming on a laptop? Ew.

(i used to play counterstrike on an old HP pavillion and still have a sour taste. it's probably actually fine)

Gattsu25

Banned
Grinchy said:

(i used to play counterstrike on an old HP pavillion and still have a sour taste. it's probably actually fine)
Yeah, gaming on a laptop is actually not that bad. Especially if you use an external monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard.

DarkChild

Banned

jfkgoblue

Grinchy said:

tbh it doesnt really feel like I am playing on a laptop when when I play games.... I have an asus G73sw with a 24 inch 1080p monitor will play pretty much every game on max, my computer is not the issue at all, it is kinda hard to explain but I like playing games on consoles more than PC even though my PC is very good

Gav47

The preload had better materialise within the next few days, its going to take along time to download on my connection -_-

garath

You know, I'm actually sad there is regenerating health. I just played through singularity recently and it was a nice throwback to have health and healthpacks/stims.

The water effects are incredible though. I love the droplets on the scope.

garath said:
You know, I'm actually sad there is regenerating health. I just played through singularity recently and it was a nice throwback to have health and healthpacks/stims.

The water effects are incredible though. I love the droplets on the scope.
You might really enjoy Resistance 3 then.

The only headache with waiting for a Digital Foundry analysis is that then you're likely to miss out on deals. For example, Amazon is offering a $10 credit if you pre-order RAGE.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You know what would be the best Rage Limited Edition bonus ever ever?
An armbar by Carmack.

It's funny. When the game was first revealed and showed off I really didn't care about it at all, but in the last few months I'm really digging it. It just looks so slick. I want this game inside me. PC version for me. :)

Salsa

Mechanized said:
It's funny. When the game was first revealed and showed off I really didn't care about it at all, but in the last few months I'm really digging it. It just looks so slick. I want this game inside me. PC version for me. :)

yes, yes, submit

ibqpzPRosKNtOw.gif

Grayman

that dive looks pretty awesome. not many games get responses like that.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
quick question that may have been answered already but does this game have any RPG elements (like fallout) or is it more of just a straight up FPS?
The game is not an RPG like bethseda's fallout but some people have really talked up the exploration and town aspects in previews.

DaBuddaDa

FrenchMovieTheme said:
quick question that may have been answered already but does this game have any RPG elements (like fallout) or is it more of just a straight up FPS?
Strange thing is nobody has really answered this. There is still a ton of confusion surrounding how the gameplay is actually put together. We know there isn't stats or loot. I think it's going to be like Wolfenstein or Deus Ex: hub areas with NPC interactions, who will then send you out on missions to locations that are their own, self-contained "levels."

Eurocult

GhostRidah said:
This will be me on release day

Thanks for ruining what could have been the biggest surprise of this weeks Breaking Bad. You know it only aired less than 24 hours ago. The hell is wrong with you?

Grayman

DaBuddaDa said:
Strange thing is nobody has really answered this. There is still a ton of confusion surrounding how the gameplay is actually put together. We know there isn't stats or loot. I think it's going to be like Wolfenstein or Deus Ex: hub areas with NPC interactions, who will then send you out on missions to locations that are their own, self-contained "levels."
So many people think they are going to get borderlands or fallout. I think it might get a blowback like Brink, but smaller.

Gvaz

Banned
I've never seen breaking bad, don't know who any of those are, and by the time I actually watch breaking bad, I'll have forgotten all about whatever he posted and the relevance.

Feels great man.

Grayman

One time I got mad at Dylan Jobe for spoiling a UFC fight on twitter, he responded it might have even been an apology, then I realized I was so far in wrong.

Top Bottom