• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Truespeed said:
Looks like my PS3 version is going back. The level of texture pop in is just ridiculous. I don't even think this can be patched. Does the 360 version have a similar problem?

Link

lol

no thanks

subversus

luxarific said:
Is there anyone in this thread who has purchased the retail-boxed PC version who was able to find the Steam code in the game? My copy hasn't shipped yet and if this problem is widespread, I'm just going to cancel and pick it up as a DD when it goes on sale.

Yes, it was mentioned in this thread

LOL @ this release

Mr.Green

AgentOtaku said:
Superior controls?

Always love this. I mean, why is it so superior? Because you can kill things that much quicker?
Unless it's a means of staying competitive ala online FPS, I don't see anything superior anymore about clicking shit to death while being hunched over my keyboard. It's merely a different input method and I really wish we could move on from this.

Guess i'm just a enjoy the ride, not the destination kinda peron.

A-fucking-men. My thoughts exactly, and I've been gaming pretty much exclusively on PC for the past few months. I wouldn't dream of competing on PC with my gamepad but I slowly start to realize that overall, I still prefer it. To me, aiming is only a part of the controls and while the mouse is definitely superior in this regard, every single other aspect feels much better on the gamepad. Analog movement for both speed and direction > WASD. Analog triggers > mouse buttons. Simply pressing down the left stick to sprint > dedicated key. Pressing on the right stick to melee > dedicated key.

Anyway to each their own and this has no fucking business in this thread but I just can't help jumping in when this debate shows up. :)

About Rage... I have the PC version but I guess I'll wait a few weeks until issues get ironed out before playing it, like pretty much every single PC release, by the way. I have Witcher 2, Draksiders, Frozen Synapse and others on the pile anyway.

(._.)

Banned
Fratkabula said:
This game exists only in screenshots, e3 awards, carmack fans minds. Such a terrible xperience on the pc and ps3! It's not even worth the time spent listening to that stupid talk at quakecon. forget the 60$.

Doom 3 feels like uncharted, compared to this. Am pissed at how bad the pc verison is and that stooopid texture pop in on the ps3 version. Id should just die!
I couldn't agree more with this post. I would not care if all they ever do from this point forward is Quake live. They had their time. Quit hyping a grand gaming experience to a crowd which wont stand for this. No graphics options is just insulting. I should have waited and got it during a steam sale.

Derrick01

Banned
luxarific said:
Is there anyone in this thread who has purchased the retail-boxed PC version who was able to find the Steam code in the game? My copy hasn't shipped yet and if this problem is widespread, I'm just going to cancel and pick it up as a DD when it goes on sale.

It's not on mine. I called gamestop and the guy said when he bought his and opened it there's supposed to be a sticker on the inside of the case with the key and mine doesn't have that.

I'm in the process of trying to take good pictures of me with the game and the receipt for bethesda, of course I expected them to want me to prove my purchase but I have a pretty shitty digital camera so I'm just going to wing it I guess.

Gvaz

Banned
PCs will always have this issue, you can't work with all the variables, but how hard is it to buy like three different types of hardware for testing? A computer costs pretty cheap now especially if you buy the parts and build it, and with a big publisher I'm sure they can justify the 2-3k it'd cost for the machines. Build an intel/nvidia machine, an amd/ati machine, and a mixed machine and there you go, you've got 75% of people's configurations right there. When an overwhelming amount of people are all saying the same things (say like with DXHR and the loading) you have to question what and how they tested the game for everyone to be saying the same thing. That's not an issue of "oh its fine, all pc configs are different". It's like....I don't even have a good analogy but it shows something with the way they tested rather than a fault of the system.

sp3000 said:
I hope all the fools who were going on about this game not being a port are eating crow. Lets face it, carmack made a crap port and all his so called programming skills aren't worth much when he cant even bother to put vsync into his game. So much for id being a pc developer.

Here come the apologists for this game whining about how it's still a great game despite the mediocre reviews.

Hope this game bombs. Lazy ports have no business in this industry.
Its not a port. I wish people knew what port actually meant.

AEREC

Im kind of luke warm on the game right now after about 3 ours of playing. Im enjoying it but it feels a little hollow.

Im one of the few who have not had any issues with running this game on the PC, and while the game looks great, the reduction of particle effects (compared to most other games), and advanced lighting really stands out for me in this game...but I guess that's the trade-off they went with in order to get this game to look the way it does.

Also driving controls are a bit disappointing, for a game that focuses heavily on driving I thought it would feel better, but it's a little too twitchy. It's not as bad as borderlands but it's only a marginal improvement. The stopping on a dime things is incredibly annoying too...I wish they made the driving a little more loose and heavier so you could do some cool fishtails or slides...but he way it is now just kind of sucks.

Also driving sounds are way off, driving on dirt sounds like tarmac and when you are driving on tarmac you still have a huge trail of dust coming off your tires...makes no sense.

Shooting mechanics are solid though (as to be expected) and the way enemies react to being hit by bullets is probably the best Ive ever seen....so the gunplay is very satisfying.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr.Green said:
A-fucking-men. My thoughts exactly, and I've been gaming pretty much exclusively on PC for the past few months. I wouldn't dream of competing on PC with my gamepad but I slowly start to realize that overall, I still prefer it. To me, aiming is only a part of the controls and while the mouse is definitely superior in this regard, every single other aspect feels much better on the gamepad. Analog movement for both speed and direction > WASD. Analog triggers > mouse buttons. Simply pressing down the left stick to sprint > dedicated key. Pressing on the right stick to melee > dedicated key.

O_O

Thank god Halo Reach maps these to the bumpers.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
Well performance wise you are probably ok being on team green. But you are going to take screen tearing up the arse because vsync is defaulted to off and there is no way to turn it on. Plus no way to tweak individual graphical options.

Nvidia Inspector apparently works. Can turn on Vsync there and other options.

Funky Papa said:
I didn't purchase Rage because my backlog is already enormous, but this pretty much tells me that I won't buy it until it reaches the bargain bin. And I believe I'll have to do the same with Doom 4/Quake 4.

I love id's classics and I'm a Carmack fanboy, but that is incredibly messed up, specially considering their pedigree.

I'm with you, such bullshit.

Maybe that's how they made it 60 FPS? :lol, nicely done!

subversus

Gvaz said:
PCs will always have this issue, you can't work with all the variables, but how hard is it to buy like three different types of hardware for testing? A computer costs pretty cheap now especially if you buy the parts and build it, and with a big publisher I'm sure they can justify the 2-3k it'd cost for the machines. Build an intel/nvidia machine, an amd/ati machine, and a mixed machine and there you go, you've got 75% of people's configurations right there. When an overwhelming amount of people are all saying the same things (say like with DXHR and the loading) you have to question what and how they tested the game for everyone to be saying the same thing. That's not an issue of "oh its fine, all pc configs are different". It's like....I don't even have a good analogy but it shows something with the way they tested rather than a fault of the system.

CD Project had about 100 machines for testing TW2 and yeah, the game still had issues.

tycoonheart said:
So basically Carmack saying how he was wrong in the past about developing for consoles first and then porting it to the PC, and how he would switch it around now was all bullshit? If so fuck him.

I didn't expect the game to be great- but I couldn't fathom the idea that id would release a PC game with significant tech issues and limited graphics settings due to it being a console port. Shocking.

legbone

Nostalgia~4ever said:
carmack and id ruled the 90s, but times changes. I would put a developer like naughty dog over id today (techvise)

this is true. but it seems like id tech 5 is pretty impressive on consoles at least. don't the ps3 and 360 versions look pretty much identical? and 60 fps with this level of visuals. very impressive stuff. but i agree, naughty dog is the developer to beat right now.

DaBuddaDa said:
Rage is id trying to do something new and falling on their face, but being carried to safety by what has always made them great: unbelievable graphics and rock solid gunplay.

Doom 4 should be amazing when it releases alongside Half-Life 3!

(._.)

Banned
The hilarious thing is what is the point of even making sure your game runs at 60 fps if vsync forced off is just going to cause a choppy tearing image for everybody.....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ellis Kim said:
huh, didn't know that.

The news made the rounds here on GAF back when it was originally announced. There was even some speculation that the next Elder Scrolls, now known as Skyrim, would use the engine since there's specific mention of keeping it within the Zenimax family as opposed to just id.

Dyno

I picked up a copy and despite the savaging that it's getting in reviews I'm looking forward to it. Everyone says it real purty and the shooting is good, that's what I always love about iD games so it still sounds all good.

What the Hell? Why am I getting weird framerate drops in the PC version? :(

And... wow. I didn't think the low texture resolution would bother me, but it does. This game needs an HD texture pack ASAP. I've been spoiled all these years. :(

pakkit

Banned
This reminds me of the Crysis 2 thread where upon launch it is filled with PC cries of doom and gloom while console players are just slowly playing through the game. I'm in Wellspring now, and the game is slowly but surely starting to open up.

legbone said:
this is true. but it seems like id tech 5 is pretty impressive on consoles at least. don't the ps3 and 360 versions look pretty much identical? and 60 fps with this level of visuals. very impressive stuff. but i agree, naughty dog is the developer to beat right now.

It looks pretty identical perhaps because they didn't do the development on the PC.

Xander51

It's a bummer that people with AMD cards are having issues. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I agree with the sentiment that it really feels like a throwback in some ways. It plays identically to Doom 3 and Quake IV.

legbone

Dyno said:
I picked up a copy and despite the savaging that it's getting in reviews I'm looking forward to it. Everyone says it real purty and the shooting is good, that's what I always love about iD games so it still sounds all good.

same here. i cannot wait to play this tonight. a buddy of mine is playing on ps3 (i have it for 360). he says the texture pop up is pretty bad but once you get past that the game is a shit load of fun. he is really enjoying it so far. i think he said he is about 2 hours in and can't stop playing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dalauz said:
im feeling a BULLETSTORM PC fiasco vibe here
How so? Bulletstorm ran flawlessly for me out of the gate. Sure, some people were annoyed at the inability to tweak settings, but if you just tried to enjoy the game as it was, it ran beautifully. Not so with Rage.

JaseC

Dyno said:

Yeah, the only issue I have with the game is the copious and relentless texture pop-in.

pakkit said:
This reminds me of the Crysis 2 thread where upon launch it is filled with PC cries of doom and gloom while console players are just slowly playing through the game. I'm in Wellspring now, and the game is slowly but surely starting to open up.
Crysis 2 ran great and played great at launch. PC owners were hung up on areas where it didn't compare favourably to crysis 1. This, where the PC version runs worse than the 360 and ps3 version is a mess of epic proportions in comparison, and in actuality.

legbone

tycoonheart said:
It looks pretty identical perhaps because they didn't do the development on the PC.

yeah, i'm thinking this is just a case of a crappy pc port. it's really unfortunate for the pc guys. heck, id is a pc developer first and foremost. well, at least they used to be. i feel for the master race at times like these.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr. Green said:
What.

1. when would you ever walk in any game ever? Sneaking games maybe but there's a button for that. (usually a dedicated button or a toggle on caps lock). Like, realistically in terms of the game, not your desire to not be running everywhere like it somehow affects your immersion.
2. I can't think of any game on the consoles in recent times where pressure sensitivity was necessary or utilized in any form other than a gimmick mechanic.
3. So how is pressing a button different than clicking a stick? It's the same fucking thing
subversus said:
CD Project had about 100 machines for testing TW2 and yeah, the game still had issues.

I bought and played the game on launch, and I can't think of any major issues other than performance increases with patches, which is pretty normal. There were minor bugs, but none of them actually affected me.

ShdwDrake

Banned
pakkit said:

Crysis 2 ran flawlessly upon release. This is not the same thing. This is worse... much much worse.

Karak

belvedere said:
I thought there was a large install that reduced this? In these comparisons has the PS3 version been installed?
The install reduced it from what would be worse if it didn't have a mandatory install.

legbone said:

Naughty Dog benefits from having Sony's top software engineers and PS3 1st party engine component and tool developers in house (ICE Team).

see5harp

I could have sworn people were saying PS3 was the console version to get. Are people experiencing that on 360? I didn't even buy this game and am pissed that I didn't just go with the 360 version in my gamefly queue.

tycoonheart said:
Of course it was developed on PC. Like all multi platform games. The engine was running on PCs first more than five years ago.

The fact the final version runs like shit on a wide slice of hardware doesn't make it a port. Its not.

Its a game that has clearly had terrible QA.

JohngPR

The 360's texture pop in seems like it's so slight, that by the time your eye adjusts to look at the object, all the textures are where they should be.

pakkit

Banned
plagiarize said:
Crysis 2 ran great and played great at launch. PC owners were hung up on areas where it didn't compare favourably to crysis 1. This, where the PC version runs worse than the 360 and ps3 version is a mess of epic proportions in comparison, and in actuality.
The multiplayer was busted on PC out of the box.

I do think that it's time for PC gamers to recognize this ugly trend and stop buying PC games day 1. When even id starts relying on post-release patches to fix their games, you can see where the industry is headed.

The pop in isn't awful on 360, but it is noticable. Still a beautiful game. Crysis 2 has it beat with it's beautiful lighting engine, but Rage's detail within the world and 60 FPS engine is tops.

JaseC

see5harp said:
I could have sworn people were saying PS3 was the console version to get. Are people experiencing that on 360? I didn't even buy this game and am pissed that I didn't just go with the 360 version in my gamefly queue.

Nope, the X360 version has been the constant favourite. I believe the consensus is as follows: X360 (installed) > PS3 > X360 (uninstalled) > PC.

Mr.Green

Cracks me up that people act like a PC game with issues on release is the exception. Give it a little time and everything will be fine.

Top Bottom