• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sullichin said:
Ahh another GAF thread about a new game consisting of almost no impressions/gameplay discussion, with 90% of the posts about tweaking PC settings/complaining about the PC version!

If one could play the game (me) I would tell you how it plays, otherwise... Until the massive technological blunder is fixed, get used to it.

I can tell you killing the close program dialog box gets old after a while... Same enemy type... Always spawns in the same place...

Guys, the main problem is that you all are using ATI cards. LOL. Just kidding. Sucks you guys are having problems. I have been playing without a hitch on my GTX 590. Knock on wood, I think recent PC releases have been hit or miss for everyone.

I think I was one of the few people able to play Dead Island day one without any hitches. Then they released the first patch and the problems started to pop up.

Bethesda isn't doing to hot with their PC releases this year. Brink was utter shit day one. God, I hope Skyrim is released without a hitch. *pray*

Gvaz

Banned
Sullichin said:
Ahh another GAF thread about a new game consisting of almost no impressions/gameplay discussion, with 90% of the posts about tweaking PC settings/complaining about the PC version!
It's an FPS with some minigames, what kind of discussion are you expecting?

That being said, that situation is not exclusive to gaf.

Someone posted a config writeup elsewhere, I hope it helps someone:

Finished mapping the settings I've been using.

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1

These two just allow the console to work and skips the logo videos.

vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100

These set overall quality level, lower on the HDP and higher (percentage) on the DCT with lossless support.
(However the textures are what they are so you can't expect miracles.)

vt_usecudatranscode 2

This is the CUDA function but 2 enables all of it not just smart mode.

vt_maxppf 1024
vt_maxlockedpages 256

These are what I'm struggling with now, a value of 2048 and 1024 respectively will cut down texture streaming to less than a second but will also cause possible glitches and stability problems so I'm testing various compromises here.
(This is the number of paged\cached megatexture pages or what to call them.)

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

This is max texture resolution, again the textures are what they are and you can not get them to be better than that other than with some small tricks but do try lower values like 64 for "fun" if you want. :D

vt_minlod -1

Slightly negative LOD for a sharper image

vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none

Use uncompressed data (If available, it's not.) instead of compressed and compression method.
(Tab two times will cycle compression levels, that's also how I found the CUDA = 2 thing.)

vt_maxaniso 16

Tell the megatextures to use full 16x AF filtering instead of 2x, sharper unless forced via CCC / NVCP already.

vt_restart

Change anything with the virtual textures / vt and you'll need to restart them, best is to execute the config (exec rageconfig.cfg for example.) in the main menu.

image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 16
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100

Old Doom 3 / IDTech4 commands, LODBias has a noticeable difference at negative and positive values, zero / 0 being neutral and negative sharper with positive as blurrier/smoother.

Also removes compression but I think it does nothing as this is handled above via the megatexture / virtualtexture settings.
(And though I don't use it allow in-game screenshot functionality at best quality.)

rageconfig.cfg (Rage\base\rageconfig.cfg - this file is loaded at start and thus convenient.)

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 1024
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 256
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 16
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 16
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100

EDIT: Description above best used alongside the in-game console description for the value. :p

JohngPR

Karak said:
Hmmm:( Looks like this doesn't negate the issue. Looking it up I see some people with 7200's in their PS3's who have the popin. So...

Man there are so many complaints its ridicules sigh..

Geez...what a bummer.

Not sure if I just call Amazon and ask for a return and see if I can still get the $10 preorder credit. :|

Smokey

Solo

Kabuki Waq said:
so wait not only does the game have performance issues out of the box but they forgot to include the Steak key?

seriously?!

Yeah, they included the fried chicken key instead. Bastards.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

pahamrick

Wag said:
He also posted that Crossfire support won't be included until the final 11.10 release driver at the end of the month. Just one more reason why I'm going Nvidia next time around.

Pretty sure he meant the end of the month release is the driver release that includes optimizations for both BF3 and Rage, instead of using just the beta driver for Rage. As far as Crossfire support, it was stated by the end of the week. Which really means next week, from my experience with ATI.

Now, if nVidia manages to get SLI support out (or is it already?) by Wednesday then it'll be a good reason to switch to nVidia next time around.

(._.)

Banned
Sullichin said:

I really only care about the gunplay in this game... still holding out hope that it's going to deliver.
from the 40 seconds I have played of it cut short due to horrible tech issues I can confirm that the game is in first person and that that character moves forward nicely.

Karak

Sullichin said:

I really only care about the gunplay in this game... still holding out hope that it's going to deliver.
I have posted tons of impressions about the gunplay, about the driving about....well whatever.

Derrick01

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
so wait not only does the game have performance issues out of the box but they forgot to include the Steak key?

seriously?!

They did for me. I haven't seen anyone else complain about it yet and my luck can be pretty horrible so it's possible it's just me.

But I'll say again I've probably bought 70-100 PC games at retail in my life and every single one of them came with a code.

Until Rage. This game is like trying to single handedly kill PC gaming in every possible way.

Smokey

pahamrick said:
Pretty sure he meant the end of the month release is the driver release that includes optimizations for both BF3 and Rage, instead of using just the beta driver for Rage. As far as Crossfire support, it was stated by the end of the week. Which really means next week, from my experience with ATI.

Now, if nVidia manages to get SLI support out (or is it already?) by Wednesday then it'll be a good reason to switch to nVidia next time around.

I think there is already SLi support for Nvidia. I thought it was included in their last driver update along wtih 3D support for Rage.

Sullichin said:

I posted a huge set of impressions a few pages back, as did several other people. Quitcherbitchin.

Salsa

DrFunk said:
This is what we're paying for. Laughable.

its funny cause they mentioned that a thousand times, that the resolution would drop during crowded moments in order to mantain the framerate. Yet people still bought it and bitch about it.

Guess the PS3 version is more disappointing than what people thought (even though they also mentioned it would be the inferior one)

Solo said:
Read what you wrote, friend-o.

Glad my copy of Rage had the steak key.

productimage-picture-loungefly-t-bone-steak-key-cap-2465_jpg_240x300_q85.jpg

SalsaShark said:
its funny cause they mentioned that a thousand times, that the resolution would drop during crowded moments in order to mantain the framerate. Yet people still bought it and bitch about it.

Guess the PS3 version is more disappointing than what people thought (even though they also mentioned it would be the inferior one)

there are drops and then there are DROPS

flashburn2012 said:
For those of you who have an AMD/ATI graphics card... They apparently screwed up with the driver and released a binary that is from a month ago. There should be a MUCH improved driver released later today. Quality will be much better, and you'll see some pretty huge performance improvements.
Seems that way.

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/121248985557118976
http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/121249111725969408

Hopefully that'll at least fix performance even if it still has texture streaming issues.

The gaming press are such dicks. How they fuck could they have given this piece of shit a 9.5 or 9 or even a 8. Not one review mentioned the terrible texture pop in. The problem is the constant adjusting makes the experience much worser than playing a ps2 game.

How is this not a deal breaker for the igns, etc?!

DaBuddaDa

Kabuki Waq said:
They're for a split second and aren't noticeable unless you're holding a magnifying lens to the screen analyzing every frame rendered instead of playing a video game.

Salsa

Kabuki Waq said:

For sure, but ive seen many PS3 gameplay videos and seen none of that, it seems like a really rare occasion. Not to mention they last a split second.

Im just baffled by people complaining/mocking the sacrifices they made to make a game look run/look like this on a console, i mean what would you expect? Its pretty obvious the game has to pull some serious voodoo crap to make something like this, just look at it.

Kabuki Waq said:
so wait not only does the game have performance issues out of the box but they forgot to include the Steam key?

seriously?!

Wow....wonder if I should even bother opening my Amazon copy...

I got the game running quite well on my 6870 by doing the following :

Defrag HD

Downgrade to 11.8 CATS

Do the following tweak : http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236544-texture-cache-folder-fix/

This game me the most performance boost.

It looks like the Texture Cache folder doesn't get created some/all of the time when you install.

Go to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local replacing YourUserName with your windows login name and create a "id software\rage" folder structure. So you end up with the following folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local \id software\rage

Again replace YourUserName with your actual windows loging name.

Now when you run the game you will see 2 files in that folder FileCache000.bin and FileCacheHeader.bin. This improves performance greatly although I still see tearing even after forcing VSync with Catalyst Control Center.

No more stupid flickering textures/models and runs smooth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
It's an FPS with some minigames, what kind of discussion are you expecting?

That being said, that situation is not exclusive to gaf.

Someone posted a config writeup elsewhere, I hope it helps someone:

Looks like good stuff. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a rageconfig.cfg

greenry

pahamrick said:

I'm running SLI GTX 560ti and the game runs great. Using the latest beta drivers though.

Sanic

It feels like every Bethesda published game is either of a poor quality or has other issues. Probably not their fault, I know, but i'm building that association in my mind.

pahamrick

Smokey said:
I think there is already SLi support for Nvidia. I thought it was included in their last driver update along wtih 3D support for Rage.

Really? Hah. More and more I lean towards going green for my next GPU upgrade.

JohngPR

Fratkabula said:
The gaming press are such dicks. How they fuck could they have given this piece of shit a 9.5 or 9 or even a 8. Not one review mentioned the terrible texture pop in. The problem is the constant adjusting makes the experience much worser than playing a ps2 game.

How is this not a deal breaker for the igns, etc?!

I'd guess that they probably didn't even play the PS3 version and based their review on the 360 build of the game.

Xater

shinnn said:

WHAT THE FUCK?

Definitely not something I expected from id. will probably wait fro bargain bin pricing.

delta25

Banned
sp3000 said:
I hope all the fools who were going on about this game not being a port are eating crow. Lets face it, carmack made a crap port and all his so called programming skills aren't worth much when he cant even bother to put vsync into his game. So much for id being a pc developer.

Here come the apologists for this game whining about how it's still a great game despite the mediocre reviews.

Hope this game bombs. Lazy ports have no business in this industry.

sigh.

Shut up dude, seriously, once the game gets a proper patch the only person that will be eating crow is you.

go away

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MentalNoiz said:
I got the game running quite well on my 6870 by doing the following :

Defrag HD

Downgrade to 11.8 CATS

Do the following tweak : http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236544-texture-cache-folder-fix/

This game me the most performance boost.

No more stupid flickering textures/models and runs smooth.

Wow, thanks for that tweak! I was using the 11.6 CATS and had no flickering or tearing problems already, but creating those folders dramatically improved my FPS. I'm easily getting 60fps at all times now.

The constant texture pop-in, and generally poor texture resolution problems still exist though.

Derrick01

Banned
sn1pes said:
Wait, is it confirmed that the retail PC copies don't have a Steam key?

No. The gamestop clerk who bought the PC version said his had a key on the inside, it's just mine (so far) that didn't. There's no indication this is a widespread issue yet.

JohngPR

I called Amazon and if I returned it they said I wouldn't lose my $10 pre-order credit for returning it but it would take a week or so turn around time before I got the 360 version. :|

Salsa

alright so where we at? problem boiled down to just ATI users going by that tweet? manual fixes for other stuff?

sajj316

The irony of "RAGE" for "RAGE" with respect with IQ. It seems 360 is the way to go (although I felt it in my bones from the minute this game was announced as PC + console).

Top Bottom