• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Karak

see5harp said:
I could have sworn people were saying PS3 was the console version to get. Are people experiencing that on 360? I didn't even buy this game and am pissed that I didn't just go with the 360 version in my gamefly queue.

Pop in is lesson the 360, as I reported originally when I first got it 2 days ago. But some people running PS3's have a very good experience and barely notice it, others are having wicked pop in. Sort of again...what I reported originally:)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still can't figure out a way to get the game to run even on my integrated (i7) graphics

It will just crash during the Bethesda logo, or if I disable the intro videos it just gives me the engine launcher with an error (the box with the blue background and the yellow text)

On my radeon... Doesn't matter what I try, crashes with black screen every time

solarus

It's sad that I cannot cancel my pc preorder of rage, was stupid enough to have already paid in full to shopto :/
EDIT: Also not tp troll or anything, but I find it hilarious that everyone was shunning people who were considering 360 over pc just because 'it's an id game'. Clearly they are not immune to making terrible pc versions.

CatalystCreator Andrew D
All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc

CatalystCreator Andrew D
New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

DaBuddaDa

Twitter:

CatalystCreator Andrew D
All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.

CatalystCreator Andrew D

Truespeed said:
Looks like my PS3 version is going back. The level of texture pop in is just ridiculous. I don't even think this can be patched. Does the 360 version have a similar problem?

Link
Ugh... Really? I got $45 down on it at Best Buy. Sigh, think I'll get a refund and wait for Arkham City instead :/

legbone

Karak said:
Pop in is lesson the 360, as I reported originally when I first got it 2 days ago. But some people running PS3's have a very good experience and barely notice it, others are having wicked pop in. Sort of again...what I reported originally:)

wonder if it has to do with whether or not they have an old fatty or a new slim. my friend has a fatty and he said it is pretty bad at times (when outdoors).

also wonder if having a stock hard drive and not an upgrade has anything to do with it?

DarkChild

Banned
id may be stuck in 90's as far as design of game goes, its a bit shallow, but their tech is STILL at the top of the line. I'm sorry but game like this at 60fps on consoles is a marvel however you take it.

(._.)

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Twitter:

CatalystCreator Andrew D
All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.

CatalystCreator Andrew D
~.~ hurry up

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
If Bethesda's as serious about being a premier PC publisher as their portfolio suggests, they really need to start investing some of those megabucks in a bigger QA operation. I've dug every one of their published releases (OK, except maybe Rogue Warrior), but all of them have been botched by poor incubation and a QA budget one tenth of the size of the marketing blitz.

I shudder to think of the state Dishonoured will launch in if they don't step up.

Wag

DaBuddaDa said:
Twitter:

CatalystCreator Andrew D

CatalystCreator Andrew D
He also posted that Crossfire support won't be included until the final 11.10 release driver at the end of the month. Just one more reason why I'm going Nvidia next time around.

what is it with pc games that don't either automatically use vsync or at least make it an option in settings.

such a simple thing to program, yet makes such a huge difference.

legbone

DarkChild said:
id may be stuck in 90's as far as design of game goes, its a bit shallow, but their tech is STILL at the top of the line. I'm sorry but game like this at 60fps on consoles is a marvel however you take it.

yep. i have always thought the tech behind rage would be much better than the game itself. i think i was more hyped to see what carmack could do on consoles then for the gameplay itself. i figured i knew what the gameplay would be (id gunplay).

Karak said:

Wonder how much PS3's internal HDD factors into this as well as model revision

Right now i'm running the very last CECH-3000 Slim

Inputs from other posters would be appreciated as if it's really THAT bad, i'm not opposed to buying the 360 version. I don't think it will be though and be more of a case by case preference if anything

Now the PC version....

forrest

formerly nacire
So if the auto detect setting is causing all of the issues for us pc owners, then it's id's responsibility to patch it right? I'm just saying no amount of "rage performance driver" updates is going to fix that.

Zeppelin

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
Naughty Dog benefits from having Sony's top software engineers and PS3 1st party engine component and tool developers in house (ICE Team).

Plus they only have to develop for one console and aren't really doing something that's fundamentally different from what everyone else is doing, unlike Rage with its megatextures.

Personally I love the idea behind megatextures and what kind of work flow they allow for the artists but seeing how this turned out maybe it's a dead end.

Derrick01

Banned
I have to wait at least an hour for Bethesda to get my email with the pictures of my proof of purchase.

All I can say is when this shit's settled and I finally start playing, if the game gives me problems I may actually snap the fucker in half.

Not that it would mean much since it'll be tied to my Steam account, but the message will still be clear!

Mr.Green

Gvaz said:
What.

1. when would you ever walk in any game ever? Sneaking games maybe but there's a button for that. (usually a dedicated button or a toggle on caps lock). Like, realistically in terms of the game, not your desire to not be running everywhere like it somehow affects your immersion.
2. I can't think of any game on the consoles in recent times where pressure sensitivity was necessary or utilized in any form other than a gimmick mechanic.
3. So how is pressing a button different than clicking a stick? It's the same fucking thing

These were my preferences. You're free to have your own. But mines are based on experience while yours seem to be based on fanaticism. I could be wrong but the points you're trying to make lead me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, like I said in my previous post, to each their own. Moving on.

pakkit said:
The multiplayer was busted on PC out of the box.

I do think that it's time for PC gamers to recognize this ugly trend and stop buying PC games day 1. When even id starts relying on post-release patches to fix their games, you can see where the industry is headed.

The pop in isn't awful on 360, but it is noticable. Still a beautiful game Crysis 2 has it beat with it's beautiful lighting engine, but Rage's detail within the world and 60 FPS engine is tops.
I see you weren't around on day 1 for doom 3 then. It isn't a growing trend. Most pc games I've played this year have been great day 1. It doesn't excuse the state rage is in, but I don't think it makes sense to swear off day 1 purchases when many of games are just fine day 1.

Anyone wanting to wait on rage... Well that's a pretty smart move.

garath

Derrick01 said:
I have to wait at least an hour for Bethesda to get my email with the pictures of my proof of purchase.

All I can say is when this shit's settled and I finally start playing, if the game gives me problems I may actually snap the fucker in half.

Not that it would mean much since it'll be tied to my Steam account, but the message will still be clear!

At least they are fixing you up. Sucks that you had the problem though :(

Would not be at all surprised if others did as well. I find it hard to believe a missing code is an isolated incident (unless of course it's Gamestop employees gutting the code before selling the game knowing you would in fact pay the price.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does game run in 720p on both consoles?

The lensoftruth video makes the texture pop thing look a bit scary. It's plainly obvious on both consoles every time you turn around anywhere, a bit slower on PS3... is that really how the game works? Every time you look anywhere you have split second of blurriness before textures load completely?

Gvaz

Banned
Mr.Green said:
These were my preferences. You're free to have your own. But mines are based on experience while yours seem to be based on fanaticism. I could be wrong but the points you're trying to make lead me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're free to have whatever preferences you like, I merely wanted to know where you're coming from because they don't really make sense to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lord Error said:

The lensoftruth video makes the texture pop thing look a bit scary. It's plainly obvious on both consoles every time you turn around anywhere, a bit slower on PS3... is that really how the game works? Every time you look anywhere you have split second of blurriness before textures load completely?

Dynamic framebuffer a la Wipeout HD. And, yes, that is how the engine is coded. The issue is at its worst on the PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lord Error said:

Yep and it's even worse on the PC right now.

Karak

legbone said:
wonder if it has to do with whether or not they have an old fatty or a new slim. my friend has a fatty and he said it is pretty bad at times (when outdoors).

also wonder if having a stock hard drive and not an upgrade has anything to do with it?

AgentOtaku said:

Inputs from other posters would be appreciated as if it's really THAT bad, i'm not opposed to buying the 360 version. I don't think it will be though and be more of a case by case preference if anything

Now the PC version....

It absolutely could. I have a newer slim that I tried out Rage on and had the issues with.
I will try it out on the older work one and see.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Derrick01 said:
It's not on mine. I called gamestop and the guy said when he bought his and opened it there's supposed to be a sticker on the inside of the case with the key and mine doesn't have that.

I'm in the process of trying to take good pictures of me with the game and the receipt for bethesda, of course I expected them to want me to prove my purchase but I have a pretty shitty digital camera so I'm just going to wing it I guess.

Ok, thanks. If you're the only one experiencing this problem (which is extremely annoying, so my sympathies), I won't cancel.

Still shocked at how many issues people are having with the PC version. :(

Wag said:
He also posted that Crossfire support won't be included until the final 11.10 release driver at the end of the month. Just one more reason why I'm going Nvidia next time around.
Any multicard setup is likely to face games that don't work properly on multicard systems until a driver update.

Its one of the main reasons that I hated having a multicard setup. That and microstuttering. I'll not be going back until that's all resolved. Single card for the win.

Well with a dedicated physx gpu.

For the record, I had an NVIDIA sli setup.

garath

Mr.Green said:

Mouse and keyboard gives you more precision in first person shooters. Even if someone prefers analog controls, it's hard to argue the point. That's why you will generally hear PC gamers talk about m/kb as being superior. It's not fanatacism.

I enjoy having the most control over my games so I prefer PC gaming with m/kb. You enjoy the more deliberate movement of a controller. It's perfectly fine to have these preferences. It's just as fanatical to act surprised when people prefer m/kb though.

JohngPR

AgentOtaku said:

That's a good question. I'm not even running a stock PS3 HDD on my PS3, it's a 250GB 7200RPM one.

(._.)

Banned
6990m
8gb ram
i7-2670QM 2.20GHz

shouldn't that be able to max this game out completely plus allow 4xAA? It is gonna be annoying if the performance driver later today just fixes the pop in textures but not the quality of them for people with proper hardware. The textures look really LQ for me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
garath said:
Mouse and keyboard gives you more precision in first person shooters. Even if someone prefers analog controls, it's hard to argue the point. That's why you will generally hear PC gamers talk about m/kb as being superior. It's not fanatacism.

I enjoy having the most control over my games so I prefer PC gaming with m/kb. You enjoy the more deliberate movement of a controller. It's perfectly fine to have these preferences. It's just as fanatical to act surprised when people prefer m/kb though.

I'm another person who prefers controller to m/kb even on a PC. It's just more comfortable to hold a controller for a long gaming session for me than to use a m/kb. I don't play competitively though, so YMMV.

For those of you who have an AMD/ATI graphics card... They apparently screwed up with the driver and released a binary that is from a month ago. There should be a MUCH improved driver released later today. Quality will be much better, and you'll see some pretty huge performance improvements.

Derrick01

Banned
garath said:
At least they are fixing you up. Sucks that you had the problem though :(

Would not be at all surprised if others did as well. I find it hard to believe a missing code is an isolated incident (unless of course it's Gamestop employees gutting the code before selling the game knowing you would in fact pay the price.)

Well, they made it seem like they'll try to help me. The guy I got a hold of on my 2nd call after I sent the email was...less than receptive to my plight as the first guy, but he said they would "escalate" my issue to the right area when they get the email.

He made it clear that him and his coworkers do not get to give out CD keys no matter what so if anyone else runs into my issue be prepared to wait a little while...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
outsida said:
For starters when I say running better I mean running without stutters, audio drops and the horrible texture popins. But this was posted on the previous page

I'm running a single gtx570.

Once I updated to the latest 285.38 beta drivers (supposed to be Rage optimized), turned on vsync, triple buffering and tweaked my fov and a few other settings in my launch settings, it looks great for me at 1920x1080 resolution.

+ cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 + image_anisotropy 16 + image_usecompression 0

- change fov from default of 80 to 100
- disable intro vids
- improve texture sharpness over distance
- use higher quality textures

I added those to my launch options and the game is running much smoother. But I also installed the newest ATI caps, cut Radeon Pro off and restarted so I'm not exactly sure what helped.

This is on a M18x 2620qm, crossfired 6970's 4 gigs of ram. Running at 1080p with 2x AA and I'm getting 34-50 outside it's really up and down but the frames inside are more stable. Also I don't have the specfic Rage driver installed yet as I haven't found a modded mobility one yet.

Thanks! While that does help a lot, I'm still getting terrible texture pop-in all the time if I turn at all, and textures in the distance don't appear to load. Are the final textures in this game just that ugly and muddy? If so, this is a terrible looking game in terms of texture resolution.

Dommel

I just started the game on the PS3 and after reading all the reports I was trying to see if the texture pop-in was as bad as everybody said it was.

Well it is! It's absolutely ridiculous but in the first room you start in it's already very noticable and it's in a freaking room ffs. Not a wide open vista where you might expect it, no a small round room with a couple of pods and textures are already popping in??

And this from Carmack, who dreams in assembly code probably?

Unbelievable....

Gvaz

Banned
Hahaha this post is comedy gold

I feel scammed. Fucking scammed. John Carmack.....why? You just lost every ounce of your elite status as a game programmer. This game is shit, plain and simple.

Visually, one of the worst looking games that has come out in 7 years. Far Cry looks better than this. This game has the worst texture pop in, textures (we're talking Quake 2 / Sin quality, possibly low end Quake 3 here) I have seen yet on a modern game. Doom 3 is visually and gameplay wise superior to this game in every aspect. Absolutely no HDR or lighting, nothing modern. The desert has no shadows, nothing casts shadows it's all static.

OMFG.I am so pissed. I spent $60 on this hunk of dog shit when money is tight. NEVER again. Gaming on this very night, the 4th of October, has died. Gaming is dead, long live the king. The game has no direction, no compelling storyline, visuals that reek, terrible mouse controls, no console, no tweakablity. What the fucking fuck is this and how did it get past John Carmack's brain? Too much cell phone programming. I actually cannot force myself to load it back up, it's THAT bad.

This game aint got shit on Duke Nukem Forever. I'm just awe struck. I told my nephew tonight gaming has died. The true pc gaming is dead forever, fuck your texture packs, fuck your patches. This is a Xbox 360 game ported sneakily to look like a pc game. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing. No goddamn excuse that having a sandy at 5 ghz, 12 gigs of ram, and a GTX 480 @ 580 with 1.5 gb of ram looks like this. I want my $60 back motherfucker!
I don't have a link to the original post though, someone else quoted it and I'm laughing hard about it.

I shouldn't have to explain why it's funny:
for example he's plain wrong about quite a few things

shinnn

JaseC said:
Dynamic framebuffer a la Wipeout HD. And, yes, that is how the engine is coded. The issue is at its worst on the PC.
Just saw at B3D that the game is scaled down to 640x720 in some points in the PS3 version while the X360 runs at 1152x720

PS3
http://www.nowgamer.com/siteimage/scale/0/0/296052.png
X360
http://www.nowgamer.com/siteimage/scale/0/0/296013.png

more pics:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1078812/rage_hd_screenshot_comparison_ps3_vs_xbox_360.html

B3D quote:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1586655&postcount=1404

Karak

JohngPR said:
That's a good question. I'm not even running a stock PS3 HDD on my PS3, it's a 250GB 7200RPM one.

Hmmm:( Looks like this doesn't negate the issue. Looking it up I see some people with 7200's in their PS3's who have the popin. So...

Man there are so many complaints its ridicules sigh..

Dalauz

dark10x said:
How so? Bulletstorm ran flawlessly for me out of the gate. Sure, some people were annoyed at the inability to tweak settings, but if you just tried to enjoy the game as it was, it ran beautifully. Not so with Rage.
the aspect ratio bug was killing for ATI users (no custom resolutions out of the box)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774877

Remember, the important concept here is that you create a custom resolution where both the horizontal and vertical dimensions are divisible by 8. 1680x1048 is what you'll want to use if you have a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050, but for those of you with other sizes you'll need to find your own resolution to use.

With all graphics settings maxed out I went from 30fps to the frame cap of 62fps with my ATI 5970.

1680 x 1050 to 1680 x 1048. Retarded.

Karak

Definity

Truespeed said:
The price is dynamic.
haha...you win.

Seriously though...I've got the thing running decent now on my rig but those textures are fucking ugly up close.

*was on the hype train and it crashed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
DarkChild said:

as long as it has shiny graphics nothing else matters

sad times ahead

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
shinnn said:

The very post you've linked to mentions it drops to 1152x720. :p

640x720 is laughable. It's barely higher than SD.

Sullichin

Ahh another GAF thread about a new game consisting of almost no impressions/gameplay discussion, with 90% of the posts about tweaking PC settings/complaining about the PC version!

I really only care about the gunplay in this game... still holding out hope that it's going to deliver.

Brannon

pakkit said:
I now get why all the promotional videos had slow scrolling.

Yep, it was the first thing that stuck out for me. That and the 'only demo 360 version' schtick. And now we know why.

Top Bottom