• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

th3dude

Derrick01 said:
No. The gamestop clerk who bought the PC version said his had a key on the inside, it's just mine (so far) that didn't. There's no indication this is a widespread issue yet.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the luck :/

My Amazon retail copy will be on my doorstep this evening when I get home. Hopefully all will be well.

th3dude

JohngPR said:
I called Amazon and if I returned it they said I wouldn't lose my $10 pre-order credit for returning it but it would take a week or so turn around time before I got the 360 version. :|

You could just return it and buy the 360 version outright, then let them credit your credit card or whatever when they get the return.

SkylineRKR

Perhaps its time for a new generation of consoles. We have BF3 likely at sub-HD and with a much lower player count, we had Crysis 2 at sub-HD and shitty framerate... Rage seems to have problems on every platform, but especially the sub-HD reso on Ps3 is pushing it.

I'm still planning to buy it for Ps3 though. But what I read here is disappointing.

Salsa

Xater said:
WHAT THE FUCK?

Definitely not something I expected from id. will probably wait fro bargain bin pricing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3FuL27mho

Look at that video (it even includes that part)

game does that drop on rare occasions in order to mantain the best mix of visuals/framerate this side of the console generation, and it lasts a split second.

People basing their purchases in those screenshots are doing it wrong.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I love how Crytek get absolutely ripped apart for Crysis 2 and yet it's been relatively quite with Carmack.

? people are ripping him a new one, and of course some dont because yes he's Carmack. Its early to tell what kind of support the game will get post-release, wich is what people care about before judging.

Deadbeat

Banned
Heavy's Sandvich said:
I love how Crytek get absolutely ripped apart for Crysis 2 and yet it's been relatively quite with Carmack.
I bet Crysis 2 could get 60fps on the ps3 at the resolution Rage drops down to. Looks like the Masters of Doom are the masters of jack shit this time around.
Just remake Quake 3 with better graphics. Thats all you got to do

JohngPR

sn1pes said:
You could just return it and buy the 360 version outright, then let them credit your credit card or whatever when they get the return.

It gets a little complicated because I used the $20 credit I had from buying Gears of War 3, so I got the game for $40. I'm assuming I'd have to wait for them to put the $20 credit back on my account.

sp3000

delta25 said:
sigh.

Shut up dude, seriously, once the game gets a proper patch the only person that will be eating crow is you.

go away

Sorry if I don't share your blind love for this game. You were trumpeting this game before release, and now despite your best efforts to defend it from criticism, it sucks.

If you dont see something wrong with vsync and aa options missing at launch, then you are acting like a fanboy. This is all the more ridiculous because it's an Id game, who are supposedly umderstanding of the pc platforms strengths.

So take your defense force garbage somewhere else because no one is buying it.

DaBuddaDa

SalsaShark said:
but im reading otherwise in those links to other forums?
subversus has been shitposting this thread all morning, ignore him.

sp3000 said:
The game is great fun and looks really good regardless of video options.

StuBurns

Banned
That dynamic framebuffer is pretty embarrassing. All this compromise everywhere just for 60fps on consoles? Seems ridiculous. Maybe they'll get Doom 4 right.

JohngPR

Karak, you've played both versions...you tell me, is it worth all the trouble that I'd have to go through to get the 360 version when the PS3 version will be at my door step in the next few hours?

Yes, the game drops resolution more than the 360 version but how noticeable is that really to the naked eye? I just want to know if this is something I'll be thinking about as I'm playing it or not.

Sullichin

BigJiantRobut said:
I posted a huge set of impressions a few pages back, as did several other people. Quitcherbitchin.

fair enough, thanks for the impressions. there's still quite a lot of pc tech talk to wade through. and it wasn't really a complaint more of an observation that it happens every multiplatform/pc game thread.

sp3000 said:
Sorry if I don't share your blind love for this game. You were trumpeting this game before release, and now despite your best efforts to defend it from criticism, it sucks.

If you dont see something wrong with vsync and aa options missing at launch, then you are acting like a fanboy. This is all the more ridiculous because it's an Id game, who are supposedly umderstanding of the pc platforms strengths.

AA options are one of the few things that are available. Lets just make sure we don't lose factual accuracy in any accusations we may be throwing about.

FatBaby

Well, I will try asking again, but for the people that are actually playing the game, is there a way to unequip the monocle? I don't need to have a zoom on a damn shotgun.

Deadbeat

Banned
Capcom does better PC ports than id software. Let that sink in for a second.

Anyways, why is ATI this incompetent with drivers?
Juancho9 said:
How do I start the process of getting a Steam refund?
Submit a ticket. Go to support section.

StuBurns said:
That dynamic framebuffer is pretty embarrassing. All this compromise everywhere just for 60fps on consoles? Seems ridiculous. Maybe they'll get Doom 4 right.
Personally I think it beats framedrops or slow down. I mean, yeah that's a significant drop but without knowing how often it drops that much we can't really say much.

Salsa

sp3000 said:

You really need to chill out a bit. We are talking about something gone wrong on the day of release of the PC version here. The game doesnt suck, the game's positive reviews are much, much more common than the negative/average ones. The problem here is that something's up and people are waiting for a response to see how id/Bethesda is gonna handle this post-release in order for people to make real judgements on the people involved.

Screw-ups can happen, the real issue is not recognizing them and not fixing them. Until that proves to happen or not: not judging from me besides "holy shit what a screw up for ATI users, they better fix this shit asap". Does it suck? yes, does it go the lenghts to call this game "OMG THIS GAME IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!" no, specially when this has 0 to do with the game itself.

DaBuddaDa

SalsaShark said:
You really need to chill out a bit. We are talking about something gone wrong on the day of release of the PC version here. The game doesnt suck, the game's positive reviews are much, much more common than the negative/average ones. The problem here is that something's up and people are waiting for a response to see how id/Bethesda is gonna handle this post-release in order for people to make real judgements on the people involved.

Screw-ups can happen, the real issue is not recognizing them and not fixing them. Until that proves to happen or not: not judging from me besides "holy shit what a screw up for ATI users, they better fix this shit asap". Does it suck? yes, does it go the lenghts to call this game "OMG THIS GAME IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!" no, specially when this has 0 to do with the game itself.
We know Salsa. Trolls will be trolls and don't want to be reasoned with, it's not worth the effort.

Bumhead

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
there are drops and then there are DROPS

Price to pay for crappy hardware?

If 60fps was such a necessary goal then is such a huge drop just necessary when working with the PS3 and 360 hardware to maintain that?

Also, not sure I get the moaning about reviews not mentioning the texture pop in. Between reviews, previews, leaked gameplay videos, hands on impressions, feedback from users etc, I've heard a ton of stuff about the texture pop in.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Deadbeat said:
Capcom does better PC ports than id software. Let that sink in for a second.

Anyways, why is ATI this incompetent with drivers?

Submit a ticket. Go to support section.

has nothing to do with ATI - it's all on id software

see, people tend to blame the vendors because they release fixes and patches to their drivers for big release games, but that's only to get a competitive advantage or to help performance on their hardware... but people take it as it was a problem on the graphics card end and not the software itself, which isn't true.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I have bulletstorm that I've never played and Borderlands that I've not finished. I think I'll skip age until it gets to Brink prices.

Echoplx

Kinda feel sorry for you Salsa, trying so hard to defend this game :(

It just seems like an average shooter to me, graphics don't even look that nice by PC standards (see: The Witcher 2) Will pick it up on sale eventually though.

Solo

SalsaShark said:

Some people have a strange axe to grind with this game. Don't worry about it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zefah said:
Looks like good stuff. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a rageconfig.cfg

The file isn't generated by the game, you need to create it yourself.

The Stig

so can I be a pain and just ask.......... should I wait a while for the PC release? is it unplayable?

I have an ATI 4850 and a phenom x2 quad core of some type

Deadbeat

Banned
DopeyFish said:

see, people tend to blame the vendors because they release fixes and patches to their drivers for big release games, but that's only to get a competitive advantage or to help performance on their hardware... but people take it as it was a problem on the graphics card end and not the software itself, which isn't true.
No lets be real here, Rage is broken but so is ATI's drivers. Any problems Nvidia users get is on id software. Dont deny ATI's bumbling ineptitude.

jaxpunk

DopeyFish said:

Really? Well this is is quite the fantastical tale you're weaving here. So you're telling me I should be able to take the cd that comes with my video card that's prob well over a year old and install that and every game should work. If the game doesn't work it's the people who created the game and not the problem of the vendor not implementing something or having piss poor opengl performance?

Please please respond because I do love me some stupid!

DopeyFish said:

Except neither are really ports, but I doubt we'll let facts get in the way of the consolitus griping.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Deadbeat said:
No lets be real here, Rage is broken but so is ATI's drivers. Any problems Nvidia users get is on id software. Dont deny ATI's bumbling ineptitude.

i guess you're new to PC gaming... or new to the concepts of software design?

this is id software's problem, not ATIs... though both will be trying to fix the issue... the true problem for Rage not working is the people who made Rage...

There's a difference between drivers breaking a release, and nearly no set of drivers allowing the game to work properly (this means rage wasn't coded correctly for ATI hardware)

kch

Yeah, defo waiting for some patches to hit before getting this. Not like there's a lack of games to play while waiting. Sad to see id software put this out on pc in the state it seems to be now.
War has changed.

B-Dex

I have the PS3 version and the only time I ever noticed the res drop was oddly looking at the menu and no one else was on screen....

In dungeons I don't notice texture pop-in just out in the wasteland really.

(._.)

Banned
delta25 said:
sigh.

Shut up dude, seriously, once the game gets a proper patch the only person that will be eating crow is you.

go away
Yeah, but as day one a consumer paying launch prices we deserve a playable product. Nothing perfect but at least playable.

Xater

SalsaShark said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3FuL27mho

Look at that video (it even includes that part)

game does that drop on rare occasions in order to mantain the best mix of visuals/framerate this side of the console generation, and it lasts a split second.

People basing their purchases in those screenshots are doing it wrong.

I notice stuff like that. Low resolution is the worst thing ever to me. I would rather have this game drop some frames in for a few seconds than almost run in SD. Texture pop in also seems worse on PS3.

raiot

I vividly remember the day when i was able to play Q2 in full 1024x768 resolution with all options maxed. Let me tell you, this day was not ANYWHERE near the day of it's release, more like 1 Year after that. How times have changed! :)

Top Bottom