• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Karak

JohngPR said:
Karak, you've played both versions...you tell me, is it worth all the trouble that I'd have to go through to get the 360 version when the PS3 version will be at my door step in the next few hours?

Yes, the game drops resolution more than the 360 version but how noticeable is that really to the naked eye? I just want to know if this is something I'll be thinking about as I'm playing it or not.

If your system works like mine, I would say get it for PS3. I have a newer slim by the way.

The issues are ignorable but they are there. If you are a nitpicker you will see them, if you aren't you will notice them at times but the game plays remarkable and its is a blast! I mean that. It is just damn fun.
Specifically the res drops...they are noticeable. On a scale of 1-10(on my system only) they are a 3-4.

Addendum:
But the PS3's issues are all over the board man...
There are so many issues with it, from running good with small issues, to videos of people NOT appearing and textures never drawing in. Its fucking luck of the draw man. The PS3 version just plain and simple has issues with some PS3's. I am sorry to add that, but I just don't know what PS3 skews are causing all the problems. But in the end, all of them are worse than than 360 version by varying amounts.

DaBuddaDa

How on earth do so many people not understand what "that" PS3 screenshot means. Did you even take the time and read the post and the link within? Or did you kneejeck shitpost the thread?

That is not the resolution of the PS3 version, learn to read and stop shitposting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DrFunk said:
This is what we're paying for. Laughable.
You guys are wayyyyyy over-reacting. It's a dynamic frame buffer, the game does NOT run at that resolution throughout. The drops do not frequently occur nor do they last long and they are there in order to keep the framerate at 60 fps. I'd say the trade-off is more than worth it. To suggest that it's "laughable" reeks of ignorance on the matter.

Quite frankly, I doubt most people will notice those drops during gameplay. If the game were rendered at that resolution at all times, that would be one thing, but it generally sticks to 1280x720.

How on earth do so many people not understand what "that" PS3 screenshot means. Did you even take the time and read the post and the link within? Or did you kneejeck shitpost the thread?
That's what I'm thinking. People see that shot and massively overreact somehow believing it represents what you'll see while playing.

Derrick01

Banned
vaelic said:
first dead island now rage. what a mess for PC gamers

I expected this level of incompetence from Techland, but id?

This was like your best friend standing right behind you ready to help you in a street fight, only to literally and figuratively stab you in the back when it begins. This is so bad Vince McMahon's on the phone with Carmack now trying to hire him.

Gav47

Just finished up a 2hr session with this game, man is it good. Everywhere in the game looks amazing, the weapons sound and feel good to use (love the shotgun) and I haven't had any of the issues people are mentioning playing on a GTX 470. Also ATi cards having driver problems, get out of town. There is some texture pop in but only for a split second when to whip right around, as I have read this is just how the engine works and could only be solved with more VRAM. I'd like to hear impressions from someone with a 3GB GTX 580 to see if there is still pop in.

Overall I'm really happy with the game and I'm glad I preordered it.

Its weird to pay day one prices for PC games, when its almost a given they won't work on day one. Someone needs to rethink PC game pricing. Day one PC gamers are turning out to be just loser QAs for the game developers.

belvedere

Junior Butler
DaBuddaDa said:

That is not the resolution of the PS3 version, learn to read and stop shitposting.

Why did B3D post that misleading drivel in the first place?

I swear that board has become overran by goons and the credible, savvy members have been drowned out.

JohngPR

Karak said:
If your system works like mine, I would say get it for PS3. I have a newer slim by the way.

The issues are ignorable but they are there. If you are a nitpicker you will see them, if you aren't you will notice them at times but the game plays remarkable and its is a blast! I mean that. It is just damn fun.
Specifically the res drops...they are noticeable. On a scale of 1-10(on my system only) they are a 3-4.

Addendum:
But the PS3's issues are all over the board man...
There are so many issues with it, from running good with small issues, to videos of people NOT appearing and textures never drawing in. Its fucking luck of the draw man. The PS3 version just plain and simple has issues with some PS3's. I am sorry to add that, but I just don't know what PS3 skews are causing all the problems. But in the end, all of them are worse than than 360 version by varying amounts.

Dammit, just tell me what to do! :p

I have a PS3 Slim as well. It's a shame that there are so many minor problems. Realistically, I have NBA 2K12 coming as well. If I really wanted to, I could wait the time and play that instead.

It's going to be a game time decision. LOL

I will say this, unless specifically noted beforehand. This will be the only time I pick up the PS3 version of a multi platform game on a whim.

Fratkabula said:
Its weird to pay day one prices for PC games, when its almost a given they won't work on day one. Someone needs to rethink PC game pricing. Day one PC gamers are turning out to be just loser QAs for the game developers.
yup, pretty much

Loudninja

belvedere said:

I swear that board has become overran by goons and the credible, savvy members have been drowned out.
Naw that guy on B3D said it was dynamic scaling he never said ti was like that all the time.

Edit: wait I see now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
belvedere said:

I actually think it's fascinating, to be honest. I was curious to see just how low the dynamic frame buffer would go. In fact, I really wish more developers would follow this example rather than allowing a lower framerate or tearing. This is a much better solution. Even Call of Duty, which is already sub-HD, could still go further in order to prevent drops altogether.

Maintaining performance should always be goal number 1. I REALLY wish this were possible on the PC. There are games where I can use high quality AA most of the time, but certainly scenes cause a performance dip. If the game could dynamically scale back the AA when the load starts to become too severe, that would be wonderful. I'd happily give up effects temporarily if it keeps the framerate up.

Derrick01

Banned
Gav47 said:
Just finished up a 2hr session with this game, man is it good. Everywhere in the game looks amazing, the weapons sound and feel good to use (love the shotgun) and I haven't had any of the issues people are mentioning playing on a GTX 470. Also ATi cards having driver problems, get out of town. There is some texture pop in but only for a split second when to whip right around, as I have read this is just how the engine works and could only be solved with more VRAM. I'd like to hear impressions from someone with a 3GB GTX 580 to see if there is still pop in.

Thanks, I have a 470 too so I'm hoping I don't run into problems either. Also are you using a pad or mouse and keyboard? Someone mentioned that the quicker turning that you get from using m/kb hurts more since the textures have less time to load. I was wondering if using a pad would alleviate that somewhat.

Maffis

Zeppelin said:
Plus they only have to develop for one console and aren't really doing something that's fundamentally different from what everyone else is doing, unlike Rage with its megatextures.

Personally I love the idea behind megatextures and what kind of work flow they allow for the artists but seeing how this turned out maybe it's a dead end.

Consoles just need better hardware for megatextures. They are so old and outdated it's surprising Rage as it is looks phenomenal now (and 60fps). Imagine what they could do if the consoles had today's high-end hardware.

Maffis

AgentOtaku said:
fcking lol

okay, can't champion this. Looks like I be swapping out DVDs =P

dark10x said:
You guys are wayyyyyy over-reacting. It's a dynamic frame buffer, the game does NOT run at that resolution throughout. The drops do not frequently occur nor do they last long and they are there in order to keep the framerate at 60 fps. I'd say the trade-off is more than worth it. To suggest that it's "laughable" reeks of ignorance on the matter.

Quite frankly, I doubt most people will notice those drops during gameplay. If the game were rendered at that resolution at all times, that would be one thing, but it generally sticks to 1280x720.

That's what I'm thinking. People see that shot and massively overreact somehow believing it represents what you'll see while playing.

quoting a good post.

delta25

Banned
sp3000 said:
Sorry if I don't share your blind love for this game. You were trumpeting this game before release, and now despite your best efforts to defend it from criticism, it sucks.

If you dont see something wrong with vsync and aa options missing at launch, then you are acting like a fanboy. This is all the more ridiculous because it's an Id game, who are supposedly umderstanding of the pc platforms strengths.

So take your defense force garbage somewhere else because no one is buying it.

Dear god man, you've done nothing in this thread but look for any discrepancy possible within Rage and id, completely ignoring all the positives that have come from the game and respectfully from id themselves.
Why not do a little more research on how the development for the Tech 5 engine worked, instead of jumping to some rash conclusion based off of a few missing features on the PC version. Just because it lacks a few graphical options doesn't make it any less of an amazing looking game.
At this point there's obviously something terribly wrong with the PC version that was never meant to happen, and with the right patch it will hopefully be rectified.

Now fuck off.....

Locke562

So there are separate codes for regular Rage and Anarchy Edition? I entered the first one I saw assuming that was the Anarchy Edition. Then I found the insert hidden behind the manual. Does this mean I won't be able to activate the Anarchy Edition?

AwRy108

SalsaShark said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3FuL27mho

Look at that video (it even includes that part)

game does that drop on rare occasions in order to mantain the best mix of visuals/framerate this side of the console generation, and it lasts a split second.

People basing their purchases in those screenshots are doing it wrong.

Finally, someone talking some sense in this thread. The sad part is, if shitty URL's like Nowgamer weren't so desparate for fanboy page-views, I bet nobody on GAF would even notice the one-second period in time where the res drops on the PS3 version.

Also, I understand why PC owners are pissed, but calling Carmack names is just idiotic: the guy and his team create a gorgeous, cutting-edge, scalable cross-platform engine, and people say nasty things about him b/c things aren't perfect out of the gate. Jeebus, we've all been stomaching the Unreal Engine's texture pop-in for YEARS (hello Gears 3 in 2011), and now everyone who plays RAGE seemingly forgets about all that.

Gav47

Derrick01 said:
Thanks, I have a 470 too so I'm hoping I don't run into problems either. Also are you using a pad or mouse and keyboard? Someone mentioned that the quicker turning that you get from using m/kb hurts more since the textures have less time to load. I was wondering if using a pad would alleviate that somewhat.

I'm using a m/kb, haven't tested out a controller yet. I was originally going to play it with a controller just because that's my preference when not playing online and I thought the vehicles might be annoying to control with the keyboard but they're fine for exploration, I just got to the two compulsory race mission. I'll try out the controller and let you know.

delta25 said:
Why not do a little more research on how the development for the Tech 5 engine worked, instead of jumping to some rash conclusion based off of a few missing features on the PC version. Just because it lacks a few graphical options doesn't make it any less of an amazing looking game.
Actually it does.

JohngPR said:
Dammit, just tell me what to do! :p

I have a PS3 Slim as well. It's a shame that there are so many minor problems. Realistically, I have NBA 2K12 coming as well. If I really wanted to, I could wait the time and play that instead.

It's going to be a game time decision. LOL

I will say this, unless specifically noted beforehand. This will be the only time I pick up the PS3 version of a multi platform game on a whim.
Man, just get it for PS3! You will not notice any differences; both versions run close enough to each other that 99% of people won't notice shit! In my 7 hours of playtime I haven't noticed any resolution changes; it's there obviously but I cannot see it. GAF is really paranoid over this game for some reason; it's not that serious. Well, for you PC gamers, my heart goes out, because that is serious bullshit you guys are going through. I would be livid, for sure.

I realize it's just a quicksecond framebuffer grab. Still, it's pretty damn jarring. Does it really standout during gameplay for those who had a good run through?

Riddick Dark Athena didn't even go that low on PS3 I believe.

The thing is if it STAY at the buffer for more than a second or two, than that could be pretty damn horrible.

I got all night though before I pick this up tommorow to decide

fun times! =P

I tried to explain the dynamic framebuffer and why it made comparison screens showing different IQ pretty pointless after the LOT comparisons went up. I just got accused of being a ps3 fanboy trying to downplay the difference between the versions.

It's frustrating. I'm not defending the state the PC version is in, but I'll always defend facts. like how it isn't a port.

Sanic

After all of the negative talk surounding the PC version, I just want to throw out my very positive experience so far.

My hardware:

GTX 460
Phenom II x4 840
4GB RAM

Absolutely no issues whatsoever, totally solid 60fps with 8x AA. No texture issues, except for them loading in when you turn, but it's very quick for me, probably 2/10 of a second. It may bother some people, but I can hardly notice at all. I don't notice any texture streaming when moving forward through the environment either. Not to say it's not there, but it's very subtle if so. Game controls fantastically, which really surprised me. It just feels really good.

I think once the issues are worked out for everyone, we're going to have a very well optimized port that still looks good. It's unfortunate the game was released as it was, but when it works, as it does for me, it REALLY works.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gav47 said:

The engine does purge from memory every texture that isn't currently in view, but not because of VRAM limitations - running the game using the default texture size setting of 4k uses approximately 550MB of VRAM on a GTX 570. It's just an overzealous piece of optimisation.

Pandoracell said:
After all of the negative talk surounding the PC version, I just want to throw out my very positive experience so far.

My hardware:

GTX 460
Phenom II x4 840
4GB RAM

Absolutely no issues whatsoever, totally solid 60fps with 8x AA. No texture issues, except for them loading in when you turn, but it's very quick for me, probably 2/10 of a second. It may bother some people, but I can hardly notice at all. Game controls fantastically, which really surprised me. It just feels really good.
Control is something ID always seem to get right. Its one thing I'll always credit them with, even if I'm not the biggest quake 2 or doom 3 fan. They controlled great.

DaBuddaDa

PC settings screenshot:

hLjaH.jpg

FStop7

Banned
DopeyFish said:
i guess you're new to PC gaming... or new to the concepts of software design?

this is id software's problem, not ATIs... though both will be trying to fix the issue... the true problem for Rage not working is the people who made Rage...

There's a difference between drivers breaking a release, and nearly no set of drivers allowing the game to work properly (this means rage wasn't coded correctly for ATI hardware)

This... I don't see how this is really an AMD/ATI thing. id has to actually test their game on machines running ATI/AMD cards before shipping it.

JohngPR

perineumlick said:
Man, just get it for PS3! You will not notice any differences; both versions run close enough to each other that 99% of people won't notice shit! In my 7 hours of playtime I haven't noticed any resolution changes; it's there obviously but I cannot see it. GAF is really paranoid over this game for some reason; it's not that serious. Well, for you PC gamers, my heart goes out, because that is serious bullshit you guys are going through. I would be livid, for sure.

I already got it...I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

I think I'm just going to keep the PS3 version. I need to stop looking at all these comparison videos. LOL

You always hate to feel like you are getting an inferior product, but honestly I'm not super picky about stuff (usually lol).

JRW

Derrick01 said:

I have to move the mouse really fast to see any texture loading and it happens so fast you only see a glimpse of it at the very edges of the screen. during normal gameplay I rarely see it. Played for 1.5 hours lastnight and it ran great, solid 60fps @ 1080p. (GTX 480 / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz).

DaBuddaDa

The are lots of tweaks you can make in your .cfg file floating around various support boards. Who needs in-game settings, go old school style.

Truespeed

Doc Holliday said:
never buying an AMD card again! Been burned way too many times.

I made that decision a long time ago when they started using .NET for their control center apps. A sign of things to come.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jubbly said:
Massively reduces the texture streaming problems by using your spare GPU and CPU power.

Not quite. It utilises available CUDA cores to stream textures, freeing up the CPU.

StuBurns

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
That is fucking depressing.

Urgh. Just patch it all in for us like Crytek did, please?
That doesn't seem likely, because unlike basically any other game, the graphical settings are determined by the engine based on performance, they're in a fluid state.

Top Bottom