• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

StuBurns said:
That doesn't seem likely, because unlike basically any other game, the graphical settings are determined by the engine based on performance, they're in a fluid state.
The trouble is I'll never really trust the game to be pushing my system as hard as it could.

Maybe it will, but I just feel better having options that I can change on the fly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Yep and it's even worse on the PC right now.
Explains Carmack's complaining about latencies on PC hardware I guess. It sounds almost like he and his team bet on a wrong horse here with the technology if it's so finicky.

Jubbly

JaseC said:
Not quite. It utilises available CUDA cores to stream textures, freeing up the CPU.

id's Tim Willits has said in interviews that it uses the CPU and GPU to load surrounding textures faster so when you turn around you get fewer texture streaming problems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jubbly said:
id's Tim Willits has said in interviews that it uses the CPU and GPU to load surrounding textures faster so when you turn around you get fewer texture streaming problems.

Oh. The interview I read prior to posting (because I like to fact-check!) mentioned just the CUDA cores.

The GPU being utilised in tandem with the CPU does make more sense, I agree.

Wallach

JaseC said:
Oh. The interview I read prior to posting (because I like to fact-check!) mentioned just the CUDA cores.

The GPU being utilised in tandem with the CPU does make more sense, I agree.

Well, the CPU is already bearing transcoding load by default. I'm guessing it can't offload all of that duty to CUDA cores.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doc Holliday said:
never buying an AMD card again! Been burned way too many times.
Really? There have definitely been a instances here and there where it's a problem, but overall, two of the best video cards I've ever owned have been ATI (Radeon 9700 Pro and now HD 5870). The 5870 has lasted quite a long time and I've really found no reason to upgrade as nearly every new release easily hits and holds 60 fps. Only a few situations (such as this) stand out. The 5870 was a tremendous value and still holds up against much newer cards.

I've actually had more issues with nVidia hardware in the past, to be honest.

Explains Carmack's complaining about latencies on PC hardware I guess. It sounds almost like he and his team bet on a wrong horse here with the technology if it's so finicky.
Indeed. After ALL this time, I'm honestly shocked and appalled that they couldn't get it working properly. I don't doubt that there are limitations on the PC to contend with that are very different from those on consoles, but I would expect Carmack, of all people, to figure it out. This game was clearly shipped in a state that isn't fully working.

It shouldn't be left to ATI to release specific drivers for a game after it ships. What the hell were they testing it on? I'm sure the game was tested on ATI cards, but did they simply say "whelp, good enough" and ship it? I really just can't imagine what happened. The game should NOT have to rely on an unreleased ATI driver which didn't exist for 99.9% of the development cycle.

Gvaz

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
They're for a split second and aren't noticeable unless you're holding a magnifying lens to the screen analyzing every frame rendered instead of playing a video game.
Yes, because noticing and having issues with drops that are a split second or more is "analyzing". smh

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Kinda glad my PC copy is still floating around in the mail system....

I'd say all this thread needs now is a shopped picture of Carmack sipping Champagne with a 'Mission Accomplished' banner in the background.

JaseC

Wallach said:
Well, the CPU is already bearing transcoding load by default. I'm guessing it can't offload all of that duty to CUDA cores.

That's what I figured. But then I figured I was wrong when I looked it up and read the aforementioned interview. :p

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Doc Holliday said:
I don't really see how this is AMDs fault. The 5 and 6 series cards have been out for a good long while. Shouldn't it be the game developers responsibility to make sure their brand new game runs on hardware that has been out for over a year? Couldn't id have contacted AMD months ago and said "hey guys were having some trouble getting this to run smoothly on 5 and 6 series cards. Can we get a little help here?" I've never seen a game run this poorly on my system. I understand the open gl drivers might not be super optimized, but c'mon. The 360 is amd/ati based and it's not having these issues.

Sanic

JaseC said:
Rage is God of War 4 confirmed.

heh, i'm just saying it has great art direction, and the texture variety really seals the deal.

Texture resolution and polygon count leave a bit to be desired.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know if it's been covered but I've seen people wondering about a roughly 320mb update.

I'm going to say it was those sewer missions that you get for buying the game new that downloaded, because when I put the key in for that it was around 320mb as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
eravulgaris said:
So sad that the PS3 always gets fucked up the ass.
It really didn't, though. The PS3 version looks solid in motion.

It's the PC version that got screwed.

Gvaz

Banned
StuBurns said:
That doesn't seem likely, because unlike basically any other game, the graphical settings are determined by the engine based on performance, they're in a fluid state.
If you look at my config post a few pages back, there are clear graphics options (though perhaps not quite the same way we're used to as pc gamers.) you can enable to force some things.

Not the best solution, but it's an option. By the way that's the whole point of PC gaming. You have options.

JaseC

Pandoracell said:
heh, i'm just saying it has great art direction, and the texture variety really seals the deal.

Texture resolution and polygon count leave a bit to be desired.

I know that. :p God of War 3 was the original "looks like a painting!" game.

StuBurns

Banned
Gvaz said:
If you look at my config post a few pages back, there are clear graphics options (though perhaps not quite the same way we're used to as pc gamers.) you can enable to force some things.

Not the best solution, but it's an option. By the way that's the whole point of PC gaming. You have options.
But do they actually stick no matter what or are you just setting a default on launch and then the engine dynamically changes it later?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Pandoracell said:
In a sense it almost feels like you're looking at a painting when playing the game.
You can really feel the artist take a step back and think 'Now just a little more detail here, here and...here, and this sucker is DONE.'

iumogg

Neo Member
Letters said:
More impressions of installed 360 version please!! Still unsure if I should order this.

I'm playing on the 360 unistalled and the pop in isnt bad. It happens some but not enough to takeaway from the experience. I barely notice it unless I'm looking for it.

bounchfx

wow the mipping when you turn left or right is atrocious ! ugh, not noticeable later on but in the starter area its awful. It sure is a pretty game though!

not a fan of how consolified it is.. beh. also, wtf is with the cursor going double speed in menus? that's annoying as fucking hell.

only 20 minutes in but I kinda wish i waited for the inevitable next week sale for $40, especially when I have dark souls to play..

ah well.

jett

D-Member
lawlz at that 640x720 screenshot. I thought the resolution dropped when a lot of shit was going down. NOTHING is going on in that screenshot.

limbogarden.jpg

how low can it go!?

Vire

bradshoemaker Brad Shoemaker
Yep, Rage is pretty much unplayable on our office PC (w/ ATI card). Not sure how Nvidia is faring at the moment, but I'd avoid it either way

:(

Glad Giant Bomb held off to write their review.

Gvaz

Banned
StuBurns said:
But do they actually stick no matter what or are you just setting a default on launch and then the engine dynamically changes it later?
I think it's similar to an autoexec.cfg or an ini. I don't have the game right now, I was just passing on information.

Mrbob

Doc Holliday said:

It's not a bad idea to be honest. Nvidia does a better job working with game developers than ATI does. Major reason why I won't be leaving the green team anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodforge said:
Wow, wtf AMD.

Sure, AMD fucked up, but why is this game mostly busted on even older drivers? I'm running the 11.6 Catalyst drivers, which are from June or so, and while I don't get flickering or screen tearing, the texture pop-in issues are horrendous. Did id never even test this game using ATI/AMD cards?

kitch9

Banned
jaxpunk said:
Really? Well this is is quite the fantastical tale you're weaving here. So you're telling me I should be able to take the cd that comes with my video card that's prob well over a year old and install that and every game should work. If the game doesn't work it's the people who created the game and not the problem of the vendor not implementing something or having piss poor opengl performance?

Please please respond because I do love me some stupid!

In theory if the developer followed the API to the letter then yes the game should work on any set of drivers, the main point of driver releases is for the driver writers to find optimisations on games and how the API interacts with the drivers.

The game does not perform on any AMD hardware with any driver, at any level which leads me to ask how did that get through testing if any testing existed AT ALL on anything AMD?

ID want to sell the game to the PC platform user and for these issues to exist, is plain wrong. The PC was there before this game, IT IS NO FUCKERS FAULT OTHER THAN IDs IT DOES NOT WORK.

KageMaru

Wow at the people overreacting here. o_O

belvedere said:
Why did B3D post that misleading drivel in the first place?

I swear that board has become overran by goons and the credible, savvy members have been drowned out.

Care to elaborate on what was misleading in that B3D post?

You do realize that the person who measured the resolutions is one of the more savvy members there, right? It's been known for some time that the game runs on a dynamic resolution, something he mentions in his post, and he just measured the low range from the pictures.

Maybe more people should actually read what's being posted before jumping to conclusions.

aeolist

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Fuck yea, waiting for the next cards in 2012. Good luck trying to get AMD cards to behave with 3d Applications btw.
I still find it ridiculous that there isn't a 3D standard for Windows games that both vendors use

Geoff9920

Zefah said:
Sure, AMD fucked up, but why is this game mostly busted on even older drivers? I'm running the 11.6 Catalyst drivers, which are from June or so, and while I don't get flickering or screen tearing, the texture pop-in issues are horrendous. Did id never even test this game using ATI/AMD cards?
If I had to guess that would be due to Rage using OpenGL 4.2(I think) which was just released in August.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KageMaru said:
Wow at the people overreacting here. o_O

Overreacting? Paying $60 ~ $65 for shit is a rage-inducing experience for most people.

Geoff9920 said:
If I had to guess that would be due to Rage using OpenGL 4.2(I think) which was just released in August.

As in, the final version released on Steam is using a newer version of OpenGL than AMD's drivers support?

What were they running the game on for the last 3 to 5 years, then? What was that 2008 Quakecon video running on?

How have they been working on this game for 5 years only to release it today and not have any compatible drivers for it? They were developing it for a platform that didn't exist?

jett said:
Something wrong going on with the textures on the PS3 in this particular comparison:

296051.png

296012.png
I don't understand, what's the problem.? Other than seemingly more contrast on PS3 they look identical to me.

Oh, I see. The wavy pattern. I have not seen that at all while playing. Maybe interference on the setup used?

(._.)

Banned
- green shadows (is that part of the game?)
- screen flickering
- still minor tearing after forcing vsync via catalyst control
- white and red scratch flickers flashing on and off
- laggy texture streaming.

these are all the problems I am experiencing. I played an hour of it with these problems and the game is actually pretty good. It reminds me of borderlands only focused more on one payer (which I like). Please fix my issues quick amd/id.

Top Bottom