• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

garath

Well at least Amazon was on point. Game was waiting for me when I went home over lunch.

30 minute install later and I was loading up the PC version.

i5 2500k
8gigs DDR3
460 GTX

The game played pretty well. It tore like crazy so I turned on triple buffering and vsync via nvidia control panel and that eliminated the tearing.

The controls were smooth and felt very nice. The texture popping was definitely there - most pronounced at the starting canyon area. It was a split second load with every fast turn. Slow turns didn't show it. Once the action is going I'm sure I'll hardly notice it but it's very distracting right out the gate.

I had to get back to work so little time to fiddle. I tried some settings reposted from others with some cvar changes. One set wouldn't even let the game load. Others didn't help appreciably.

I updated my drivers from 275.xx to the 280.26 and wish I didn't. It's worse. I'm probably going to try the beta drivers then if that doesn't work, wipe my drivers and roll back to the 275.

It's not quite the sky is falling but man, that texture pop is very noticeable in the beginning.

NullPointer said:
How can anybody not seethe at experiencing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5oEdfT4OWY

I'll have to take a video later but the texture popping I'm talking about is nowhere NEAR that bad. We're talking about a split second on my machine.

jett

D-Member
Geoff9920 said:
If I had to guess that would be due to Rage using OpenGL 4.2(I think) which was just released in August.

But this game has been shown running on PCs for two years now...I just...what....wat. What about people with video cards that are from 2009 or older, ATI's driver updates barely even acknowledge them at all. Only makes id's hardware requirements all the more baffling. Just what the fuck.

belvedere

Junior Butler
KageMaru said:
Wow at the people overreacting here. o_O

Maybe more people should actually read what's being posted before jumping to conclusions.

You clearly missed the dozens of quotations of that post and their implications a few pages back.

Zefah said:
Overreacting? Paying $60 ~ $65 for shit is a rage-inducing experience for most people.

As in, the final version released on Steam is using a newer version of OpenGL than AMD's drivers support?

What were they running the game on for the last 3 to 5 years, then? What was that 2008 Quakecon video running on?

How have they been working on this game for 5 years only to release it today and not have any compatible drivers for it? They were developing it for a platform that didn't exist?
Being upset at paying 60$ for a pc gaming which is uncommon for a majority of games, and not being able to play it is not overacting, especially when you cant even get your money back for this unplayable product. Right now its a 22gb paperweight on my HD.

jaxpunk

kitch9 said:
In theory if the developer followed the API to the letter then yes the game should work on any set of drivers, the main point of driver releases is for the driver writers to find optimisations on games and how the API interacts with the drivers.

The game does not perform on any AMD hardware with any driver, at any level which leads me to ask how did that get through testing if any testing existed AT ALL on anything AMD?

ID want to sell the game to the PC platform user and for these issues to exist, is plain wrong. The PC was there before this game, IT IS NO FUCKERS FAULT OTHER THAN IDs IT DOES NOT WORK.

So when a game company goes to a hardware vendor and says we are doing X with our game, can you optimize for it? How do you know that the vendor isn't dragging their feet in releasing that optimization to the public. What may work great on a single card may run like shit on another. ATI is NOTORIOUS for having terrible drivers, how this comes as a shock to anyone who has been a pc gamer for more than a year is beyond me. My last card was a ATI and I was building on a budget or I was drunk when I bought it. Whatever the reason, I didn't go ATI this round and have had zero problems with anything I threw at it new old whatever.

So tldr: ati drivers lol

Gav47

Just tried the game out with a controller on the PC, the reduced turning speed does help with texture pop in but you'll still see it when you swing right around. The vehicles are much easier to control and I was able to shave 4 secs of the race time for the first mission. Thankfully you can enable the controller in the options and still use m/kb so I think I will just keep the controller off hand for racing and exploration.

I might restart the game on Hard as well, Brad on Giant Bomb said it wasn't a very challenging game on normal and recommends playing on a harder difficulty in the same way you would choose hard for Gears 3 and the Halo games.

Man

Yet to see anyone actually prove Rage to be running on OpenGL 4.2.

It's a DX9 era effects game, if OpenGL is even used in the PC version then it's most likely 3.X, not 4.2 which launched in August (DX11 era tech).

Derrick01

Banned
Ok well I finally started playing and so far I'm also not really having a huge problem, but I'm part of the Nvidia crowd.

i7 @ 3.01ghz
GTX 470
6gb RAM

I'm using the newest beta drivers, forced vsync and triple buffering through the control panel, I'm on 1920x1080 with 8x AA and that GPU transcoding thingy turned on, and I'm getting a smooth 60. I'm assuming it detected high settings as I never got a prompt or anything like that.

The game looks really good until you get up close to a texture, then it's like OH MY GOD THAT'S FUCKING HIDEOUS GET IT AWAY. As for Pop-in I get about .1 seconds of it every time I turn, it's enough to notice as I can see the actual "pop" (looks more like a very brief flicker really). Compared to other people's texture problems in this thread I'm in no position to complain really.

Now to actually play the game!

charsace

IMO PC hardware devs have to get their acts together. There's opengl and there's DX. hardware companies have to make sure that they're tech is fully compatible with the latest versions of both. Both have been around for a while now so I am not understanding why hardware companies are having a hard time putting together drivers to make their tech is compatible with each.

Drivers seem to be the biggest problem with pc graphics right now.

garath said:
I'll have to take a video later but the texture popping I'm talking about is nowhere NEAR that bad. We're talking about a split second on my machine.
You're luckier than I am then. Because that's exactly how it plays on my rig.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Vaqi2.png

why do i always get hurt by the ones i love

specially when they seem to think my country is in Europe or some crap

Maybe that's cos I gifted it to you and I'm in the UK?

garath

Derrick01 said:
Ok well I finally started playing and so far I'm also not really having a huge problem, but I'm part of the Nvidia crowd.

i7 @ 3.01ghz
GTX 470
6gb RAM

I'm using the newest beta drivers, forced vsync and triple buffering through the control panel, I'm on 1920x1080 with 8x AA and that GPU transcoding thingy turned on, and I'm getting a smooth 60. I'm assuming it detected high settings as I never got a prompt or anything like that.

The game looks really good until you get up close to a texture, then it's like OH MY GOD THAT'S FUCKING HIDEOUS GET IT AWAY. As for Pop-in I get about .1 seconds of it every time I turn, it's enough to notice as I can see the actual "pop" (looks more like a very brief flicker really). Compared to other people's texture problems in this thread I'm in no position to complain really.

Now to actually play the game!

You know, that's pretty much my exact experience (btw, glad you got your key issue sorted. Mine was in the box on a sticker).

I'll have to try the beta drivers. I didn't like the 280.26 compared to my older 275.xx

kodt

Banned
garath said:

I thought the texture issue is only really bad on ATI cards, you have an Nvidia card...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
tycoonheart said:
Wow, this is horrible.

Yep That's how mine looked for most of yesterday. Played with some different drivers, it's better but it runs at sub 30 on an i7 930 12 gigs of ram and 2 6850's :/

Smokey

garath said:
You know, that's pretty much my exact experience (btw, glad you got your key issue sorted. Mine was in the box on a sticker).

I'll have to try the beta drivers. I didn't like the 280.26 compared to my older 275.xx

You should be using the newest beta drivers (Battlefield 3) with Rage.

So just out of curiosity, with the following setup, does anyone have any idea what to expect?:

Asus G73JW Gaming Notebook
Nvidia GTX260m
8gb Ram
Core i7 740
Win7 64bit

I know I should avoid the PC version at all costs but i'm wonderin' if I have one of the few setups that would just miraculously work

I mean, most of the issues seem to be AMD driven right?

Thanks for input

Derrick01

Banned
garath said:

Yeah I mean when I sit back and think about it it's a pretty minor inconvienence. It delayed me about 2 hours and I had to dig out the old digital camera but the game is working fine so far so in the end I'll look back on it as not a huge deal. Bethesda's customer service was better than a lot of other ones I've had to deal with.

To elaborate a little more on the texture popping in as I've put about 5-10 minutes in now, it's getting harder and harder to notice it. As I approached the first settlement I guess you would call it, I was able to look around and didn't notice much at all. If it was popping then it was happening quicker than my eyes could pick it up. I'm pleasantly surprised it's running well compared to all the horror stories I read.

StuBurns

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Yep That's how mine looked for most of yesterday. Played with some different drivers, it's better but it runs at sub 30 on an i7 930 12 gigs of ram and 2 6850's :/
wat

I've been hearing it's messy, but no specifics. That is disgusting. The way Carmack was talking I assumed it was at least 60fps perfect on practically anything in the last few years.

KageMaru

Zefah said:
Overreacting? Paying $60 ~ $65 for shit is a rage-inducing experience for most people.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize a few frame of sub-HD resolution made the game "shit".

We knew it would have a dynamic resolution for a while now. Keep in mind I'm strictly talking about the console versions. I can understand how PC gamers are disappointed.

belvedere said:
You clearly missed the dozens of quotations of that post and their implications a few pages back.

No, I read it all. Still not sure how the original B3D post was misleading.

People should have to watch what they post because others fail at reading comprehension? He posted what the dynamic resolution dropped down to, nothing more.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you seem way off on your post I originally commented on.

garath

Smokey said:
You should be using the newest beta drivers (Battlefield 3) with Rage.

Yeah. If I had a little more time over lunch (damn 30 minute install) I would have given them a shot. Will do that when I get home. It specifically says in the beta driver release notes:

Supports OpenGL 4.2 for GeForce 400 series and 500 series GPUs

The last WHQL drivers only support 4.1

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
StuBurns said:
wat

I've been hearing it's messy, but no specifics. That is disgusting. The way Carmack was talking I assumed it was at least 60fps perfect on practically anything in the last few years.

I'm hoping it's a drivers issue. Witcher 2 and BF3 beta run at 60 with everything on High or Ultra except the super high end setttings.

Smokey

I wonder if the texture pop in has anything to do with VRAM? I have SLI 3GB 580s, and will try when I get home. I'll also try and stream gameplay from my PC to my channel.

Those with the boxed retail version, how long did it take to install?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
wat

The game certainly looks as though it should. /rimshot

belvedere

Junior Butler
KageMaru said:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize a few frame of sub-HD resolution made the game "shit".

We knew it would have a dynamic resolution for a while now. Keep in mind I'm strictly talking about the console versions. I can understand how PC gamers are disappointed.

No, I read it all. Still not sure how the original B3D post was misleading.

People should have to watch what they post because others fail at reading comprehension? He posted what the dynamic resolution dropped down to, nothing more.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you seem way off on your post I originally commented on.

I quoted someone else, who quoted the B3D article. There are in fact, some misleading posts on B3D, but that wasn't one of them. The comments and general assumptions made by various people a few pages back about said post, definitely were though.

This was cleared up, but you conveniently missed that I guess.

Yet another thread to bookmark the next time we have a "WHY DON'T PC GAMES DOMINATE PC IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CONSOLES LOL" thread, where PC gamers inevitably insist that the platform is every bit as plug and play as consoles.

THIS is why PC gaming is dying. People do not enjoy spending the first month of game ownership tweaking driver settings.

Gav47

Smokey said:
I wonder if the texture pop in has anything to do with VRAM? I have SLI 3GB 580s, and will try when I get home. I'll also try and stream gameplay from my PC to my channel.
Please do, I'm interested in this myself.

sk3tch

Question for those that have the retail copy on PC - obviously, it's Steamworks - so how does the disc-based install work? Does it install and integrate into Steam just like a downloadable title would (except no download required, of course)?

For some reason I am concerned about this because I want to keep my Steam and Origin stuff neat & tidy together and not have one outlier...lol. OCD...I know. Plus I am not sure if I am going to keep the game...but that's another thing. :)

belvedere

Junior Butler
David H Wong said:
THIS is why PC gaming is dying. People do not enjoy spending the first month of game ownership tweaking driver settings.

Oftentimes we don't when games ship with basic functionality.

garath

Smokey said:

Those with the boxed retail version, how long did it take to install?

It took around 30 minutes to install for me.

sk3tch said:
Question for those that have the retail copy on PC - obviously, it's Steamworks - so how does the disc-based install work? Does it install and integrate into Steam just like a downloadable title would (except no download required, of course)?

For some reason I am concerned about this because I want to keep my Steam and Origin stuff neat & tidy together and not have one outlier...lol. OCD...I know. Plus I am not sure if I am going to keep the game...but that's another thing. :)

Yes to your question. Kick off the install from the disc like you normally would (setup.exe) and it'll copy some initial files then a steam activation window will pop up and ask you for the key. After you plug in the key it'll activate and start installing from the discs. Disc 1, 2, 3 and done, it'll now be in your steam library.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KageMaru said:

I'm talking about the PC version, which I have. I messed around with enough stuff to get them game running really well without flickering or screen tearing, but the awful, awful, awful texture pop-in, and generally muddy textures throughout, really make it a bad experience. Obviously not unplayable, but for a game where the visuals are supposed to be one of the selling points, the issues are extremely distracting and detracting from my enjoyment of the product.

Another minor complaint, but I think I'm getting on board with the complaints people had about check points. Quick save in this game isn't a seamless affair like in many PC games. The game actually hard stops for around 1 - 3 seconds every time you press the quick save button. I wouldn't mind in a slower paced game like Deus Ex or something, but in an fast action game like RAGE, it's pretty annoying.

David H Wong said:
Yet another thread to bookmark the next time we have a "WHY DON'T PC GAMES DOMINATE PC IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CONSOLES LOL" thread, where PC gamers inevitably insist that the platform is every bit as plug and play as consoles.

Just from my personal experience, I haven't had to do anything like this for years. I think 2007 was the last time I bought a PC game at launch and had to spend hours tweaking the game to get it to work right.

I do almost all of my gaming on the PC, too.

Smokey

garath said:
It took around 30 minutes to install for me.

Yes to your question. Kick off the install from the disc like you normally would (setup.exe) and it'll copy some initial files then a steam activation window will pop up and ask you for the key. After you plug in the key it'll activate and start installing from the discs. Disc 1, 2, 3 and done, it'll now be in your steam library.

Oh so you have to use Steam for the game to activate?

StuBurns

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
I'm hoping it's a drivers issue. Witcher 2 and BF3 beta run at 60 with everything on High or Ultra except the super high end setttings.
Well, they will fix it I'm sure. Everyone is playing the 32bit 360 port essentially, the 64bit 'real' PC version is coming, I imagine it'll be the legit PC version people wanted.

sk3tch

garath said:

Thanks! Good to know. Was the Anarchy stuff a separate DLC code or just integrated in with your main Steam key?

Wallach

StuBurns said:
Well, they will fix it I'm sure. Everyone is playing the 32bit 360 port essentially, the 63bit 'real' PC version is coming, I imagine it'll be the legit PC version people wanted.

Nah, that has nothing to do with it (nor would it remedy most peoples' problems).

Things are fine on nvidia's side. Maybe with luck the drivers being posted in a few hours will remedy AMD's situation, but I can't imagine it will take care of everything without a patch on id's side as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Zefah said:
Another minor complaint, but I think I'm getting on board with the complaints people had about check points. Quick save in this game isn't a seamless affair like in many PC games. The game actually hard stops for around 1 - 3 seconds every time you press the quick save button. I wouldn't mind in a slower paced game like Deus Ex or something, but in an fast action game like RAGE, it's pretty annoying.

I'll second this. A quick save should require nothing more than a momentary pause. Having said that, it's on the very bottom of the list of items I'd like id to fix/improve.

Ricker

Did the first mission,which is the tutorial,and I can see this game is going to be awesome...I talked to everyone in the first little town,even if I didn`t have to and it looks awesome on my PC,with a GTX560Ti,playing with the 360 controller at full 1080p,no complaints here,besides the green shadows in the first dungeon but I see that is normal now.

One question I have is about the Transcode GPU...disable or enable? I tried both and didn`t really notice any difference.Game is ace so far.

MutFox

Banned
JRW said:
"ATI have fessed up to putting out a borked driver: “All – don’t use the current Rage performance driver – package includes very old OGL files, that’s why you’re seeing corruption etc… New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today.”

Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/04/raging-about-rage-pc/

It's been common knowledge for over a decade that ATI has poor OGL drivers.
Whatever update they're putting through is just a band-aid.

This is why I stick with Nvidia cards...
(Really helps when doing actual 3D Graphic work too)

jett

D-Member
David H Wong said:

Please, cases like Rage aren't the norm

Came in here to see impressions of the game and have to sludge through page after page of PC spec babble. Ughh! PC / Multi-platform OT's are extremely frustrating!

vaelic

Banned
CatalystCreator Andrew D
New CAP was just posted for Red Orchestra 2 performance bit.ly/9FDuCb Proper Rage driver should be up in a few hours

Zimbardo

Ricker said:
Did the first mission,which is the tutorial,and I can see this game is going to be awesome...I talked to everyone in the first little town,even if I didn`t have to and it looks awesome on my PC,with a GTX560Ti,playing with the 360 controller at full 1080p,no complaints here,besides the green shadows in the first dungeon but I see that is normal now.

One question I have is about the Transcode GPU...disable or enable? I tried both and didn`t really notice any difference.Game is ace so far.

i find the game runs slightly worse with it enabled. game looks the same either way, so i leave it off for now.

using gtx460 1gig in SLI (tho SLI/Crossfire doesn't work in this game yet) and a i5 760 @ 3.8ghz.

Discotheque said:
the last pc release to cause bullshit troubles like this was...brink.

Also published by Bethesda (lol)

This year from personal experiences my list of pc fuck ups even if they were patched later is Brink, Deux EX HR, Dead Island, and now Rage.

Top Bottom