• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

MDSLKTR

CloakedPuppet said:
Came in here to see impressions of the game and have to sludge through page after page of PC spec babble. Ughh! PC / Multi-platform OT's are extremely frustrating!

You want achievements talk?

David H Wong said:
Yet another thread to bookmark the next time we have a "WHY DON'T PC GAMES DOMINATE PC IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CONSOLES LOL" thread, where PC gamers inevitably insist that the platform is every bit as plug and play as consoles.

THIS is why PC gaming is dying. People do not enjoy spending the first month of game ownership tweaking driver settings.

So we're going to blame PC gamers when the devs fail to do their homework and release a product that doesn't look like its ready for prime time?

And this looks like its more than just "tweaking". Having to wait for a patch from the devs or the gfx card maker to enjoy the game fully isn't tweaking.

JohngPR

I'm going to do it guys, I'm going to crack this fucker open!!

mtt1te.jpg

Lothars

StuBurns said:
People say that every PC release it seems.
Others come in and shit on the PC every PC release as well, This kind of release isn't the norm and it's definitely frustrating.

Note I am not refering to you specifically but just in general.

MutFox said:
It's been common knowledge for over a decade that ATI has poor OGL drivers.
Whatever update they're putting through is just a band-aid.

This is why I stick with Nvidia cards...
(Really helps when doing actual 3D Graphic work too)
No. We know that rage uses OpenGL 4.2 we know that previous ATI drivers haven't supported 4.2

How is that a band aid?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JohngPR said:
I'm going to do it guys, I'm going to crack this fucker open!!

mtt1te.jpg
Ill wait for your impressions.

Gaffers >>>>>>> Reviewers

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CloakedPuppet said:
Came in here to see impressions of the game and have to sludge through page after page of PC spec babble. Ughh! PC / Multi-platform OT's are extremely frustrating!

I don't understand comments like this. Why do you think your preferences are more valid than that of anyone else?

Do you think the PC discussion is preventing console folk from posting their impressions? I've already seen a few impressions from such people in this thread. Maybe the fact that the console folk will, in general, just be getting their copies today and, being a week day, most people will be at work/school and wouldn't have had time to play yet. The PC version was released at 9pm PST last night, and most people already had it preloaded on Steam, so obviously the majority of impressions will be coming from the version that is already readily available. Unfortunately, id released a bunk product, so instead of general game impressions, you get tech talk.

Anyway, you can expect console impressions later today, I'm sure. Also, it's not like console discussions are free of tech talk. Just look at the PS3 resolution outrage (which is apparently unfounded?) throughout the last dozen pages or so.

(._.)

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
So just out of curiosity, with the following setup, does anyone have any idea what to expect?:

Asus G73JW Gaming Notebook
Nvidia GTX260m
8gb Ram
Core i7 740
Win7 64bit

I know I should avoid the PC version at all costs but i'm wonderin' if I have one of the few setups that would just miraculously work

I mean, most of the issues seem to be AMD driven right?

Thanks for input
It is pretty much just AMD. Not many people using Nvidia are reporting problems.

Ricker

Zimbardo said:
i find the game runs slightly worse with it enabled. game looks the same either way, so i leave it off for now.

using gtx460 1gig in SLI (tho SLI/Crossfire doesn't work in this game yet) and a i5 760 @ 3.8ghz.

Ok cool,i`ll leave it disable,forgot to say i`m running the GTX560Ti on a i7 CPU 870@2.93GHz 3.06 GHz with 4 Go of ram and the latest beta driver(you need those to play Battlefield 3)and it looks great,I might even raise the AA at 8,currently at 4x.

StuBurns

Banned
Lothars said:
Others come in and shit on the PC every PC release as well, This kind of release isn't the norm and it's definitely frustrating.

While I do think some people (and the post jett specifically replied to) aren't PC gamers legitimately complaining. I do see that same reply "it's a one off" every time, just recently Dead Island, From Dust, Deus Ex, Hard Reset, now even id can't put out a decent 360 port. People constantly down play how common launch issues are, I'm not sure why. This was seriously the very last game I'd have imagined would have any launch issues at all.

Lothars said:

Have you been playing pc games this year? Especially at release of the games before they are patched to hell and back? I am a hardcore pc gamer and this year has been one of the worst for pc gaming if you buy on the first day, way to many screw ups that should have never made it to retail. If you say "oh but that's pc gaming" you are apart of the problem.

sk3tch

Smokey said:

Jubbly said:
Yes, it is also the driver set specifically for Rage, something nvidia.com doesn't mention, but geforce.com does.

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to open and play my copy tonight (once it arrives from Amazon). Been itching for something new and I'm tried of the BF3 Beta on PC (map sucks). Hopefully the mission structure doesn't tax my ADD.

Mr.Green

Jubbly said:
id's Tim Willits has said in interviews that it uses the CPU and GPU to load surrounding textures faster so when you turn around you get fewer texture streaming problems.

Which is pretty much exactly what the post you quoted said. :)

garath

sk3tch said:
Thanks! Good to know. Was the Anarchy stuff a separate DLC code or just integrated in with your main Steam key?

Anarchy stuff is separate. You need to do another "Activate steam product" with the anarchy key after you install the game.

KageMaru

belvedere said:
I quoted someone else, who quoted the B3D article. There are in fact, some misleading posts on B3D, but that wasn't one of them. The comments and general assumptions made by various people a few pages back about said post, definitely were though.

This was cleared up, but you conveniently missed that I guess.

Well your original comment was clearly directed towards the B3D post, which was not misleading, resulting in my original question.

I saw other people jumping to conclusions and making assumptions, and I saw how that was cleared up, but I didn't see anyone ask you how the results found at B3D were misleading. If that happened and I missed it, my apologies.

Pointing out how some B3D posts are misleading is irrelevant. There will always be the chance of misleading posts on any forum, including GAF or B3D. You can go back to threads from years ago and there were still people misinformed back then.

Thanks for answering my question though. =)

Zefah said:
I'm talking about the PC version, which I have. I messed around with enough stuff to get them game running really well without flickering or screen tearing, but the awful, awful, awful texture pop-in, and generally muddy textures throughout, really make it a bad experience. Obviously not unplayable, but for a game where the visuals are supposed to be one of the selling points, the issues are extremely distracting and detracting from my enjoyment of the product.

Then I completely understand your frustration, apologies for the misunderstanding, my original comment wasn't directed towards you.

sk3tch

garath said:
Anarchy stuff is separate. You need to do another "Activate steam product" with the anarchy key after you install the game.

Nice...maybe I will hang onto it and see if I can slang it someday to subsidize some of the games cost. Friggin' ~$60 PC games...

is there anything wrong with the xbox 360 version like screen tearing?

surely a high end PC running the game OK (eg NVidia) looks better? It seems absurd to ask (especially at an id game, a $60 PC game at that) but those low res textures looked horrible. I bought this game at launch to explore the (open-ish) world and admire the scenery.

Lothars

GhostRidah said:
Have you been playing pc games this year? Especially at release of the games before they are patched to hell and back? I am a hardcore pc gamer and this year has been one of the worst for pc gaming if you buy on the first day, way to many screw ups that should have never made it to retail. If you say "oh but that's pc gaming" you are apart of the problem.
Yes I've played Deus Ex, The Witcher 2 alot of the big releases of the year with no issues and I had Deus Ex on day one.

I haven't played Dead Island or from Dust on the PC but both of those were pretty bad, If really the biggest issue with Rage is AMD screwing up drivers that is causing the issue than it sucks and shouldn't have happened.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
While I do think some people (and the post jett specifically replied to) aren't PC gamers legitimately complaining. I do see that same reply "it's a one off" every time, just recently Dead Island, From Dust, Deus Ex, Hard Reset, now even id can't put out a decent 360 port. People constantly down play how common launch issues are, I'm not sure why. This was seriously the very last game I'd have imagined would have any launch issues at all.

With different hardware setups, it's inevitable that someone will experience some kind of issue with just about every game, but it's generally easy to tell if the issues are widespread or not by looking at the volume of replies in threads such as this, or to check blogs and official forums. The stuff in Dead Island were obviously widespread. Blogs and forums exploded about that garbage. I bought the game a week after release, so I didn't experience any of those problems thankfully--the game played extremely smoothly for me.

I bought Deus Ex at release, and the only problems I experienced were long save/load times, which were fixed in a patch within a couple of days. They hardly made the game unplayable.

From Dust was just a piece of shit port that still hasn't been fixed, apparently. I'm glad I didn't pre-order that one.

Anyway, a widespread fuck-up on the scale of RAGE is not common. These issues make the game pretty much unplayable for most people. The absurdity is only compounded by the fact that the game came from id, previously considered one of the most competent PC developing houses in the industry.

watership

MDSLKTR said:
You want achievements talk?
I think he wants talk about the game itself, not the community struggling to get it to work.

edit: Perhaps we should break out the technical/problems discussion into another thread?

Zimbardo

Ricker said:
Ok cool,i`ll leave it disable,forgot to say i`m running the GTX560Ti on a i7 CPU 870@2.93GHz 3.06 GHz with 4 Go of ram and the latest beta driver(you need those to play Battlefield 3)and it looks great,I might even raise the AA at 8,currently at 4x.

your video card is better than mine, so maybe if you turn it on it'll be fine ...i would try it out both enabled and disabled anyway and see what you think.

when i enabled it, i found that i could notice a bit of stutter when turning around in certain spots. occured with sli enabled as well as when i disabled sli ...sli seems to be a total non factor with this game at this point anyway.

patches and new drivers will most certainly iron things out a bit.

StuBurns

Banned
Zefah said:
Anyway, a widespread fuck-up on the scale of RAGE is not common. These issues make the game pretty much unplayable for most people. The absurdity is only compounded by the fact that the game came from id, previously considered one of the most competent PC developing houses in the industry.
Certainly, all true. The extent to which these issues arise differs from release to release.

Definity

wtf. I actually get into finally playing the game and setting my hype aside since I know what to expect and during my play session the frame rate bottomed out and had massive MASSIVE tears. Had to go into the menu and change resolution and then back again to get the shit to stop.

I'm using the BF3 driver. Should I roll back to an earlier release?

gtx570
i5 2500k
8 gb ram

Wallach

I think I'm just gonna play more NV until the proper drivers from AMD hit.

Funnily enough I'm not very salty about this at all today. Just get it fixed soon, I want to play.

Someone IM me on Steam if you see the new Catalyst package go up in case I miss it, please.

Zimbardo

Definity said:
wtf. I actually get into finally playing the game and setting my hype aside since I know what to expect and during my play session the frame rate bottomed out and had massive MASSIVE tears. Had to go into the menu and change resolution and then back again to get the shit to stop.

I'm using the BF3 driver. Should I roll back to an earlier release?

gtx570
i5 2500k
8 gb ram

enable vsync and triple buffering in the nvidia control panel.

i would think the game should be more than fine on your setup if you're using the newest nvidia beta drivers.

Doc Holliday said:
Yep That's how mine looked for most of yesterday. Played with some different drivers, it's better but it runs at sub 30 on an i7 930 12 gigs of ram and 2 6850's :/

I know it sucks, but once the new driver comes out, you should be able to easily hit 80+ FPS on a single 6850. I don't think XF support will be in this driver release though.

Definity

Zimbardo said:
enable vsync and triple buffering in the nvidia control panel.

i would think the game should be more than fine on your setup if you're using the newest nvidia beta drivers.
Thanks...will give that a shot. I'm new to the master race again after 7 years. Actually built a PC for BF3 and Rage. Not to impressed at all right now. :/

pakkit

Banned
Four hours in:

Warming up to the game. I'm playing on Hard difficulty, and, lo and behold, the game is finally getting hard.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "free life" the game gives you upon initial death, but these enemies are really fun to play against. Yes, they often run at you, but instead of Borderlands where they beeline towards you, making sniping an easy headshot-fest (satisfying in its own way, mind you), here the enemies are constantly moving, juking left or right, rolling, leaping at you, or even bounding off the scenery. Pairing this with the high framerate, and headshots aren't nearly as much of a guarantee as they are in so many other games. It means what should be an easy combat scenario doesn't always end out that way.

I also like that this game DEMANDS that you use your money and earnings. Almost every item you pick up has a use (and if they don't, they're labeled as trinkets). I finally got up to
Mutant Bash TV
and made it through the 5 rounds by the skin of my teeth. It was really fun.

id's really stepped up their game in crafting environments. This game is beautiful, and even though the overworld is kind of monotone, you'll find every color represented. It's really a visual treat, and it lends character to the world.

I wish the overworld had a little more life outside of bandits trying to kill you, however. Some animal life, or something. I don't know. id doesn't hide how "gamey" Rage is, and in this way, it is very throwback in design.

I still have a pretty limited arsenal, but every weapon I've tried has been awesome, and the deployables you can use are very useful and fun.

Raziel

jett said:
Please, cases like Rage aren't the norm
Hahaha.

Pretty much every pc-console multiplat OT on GAF is turned into a clusterfuck of tech support.

And no, the last one was not Brink, the last one was Dead Island. The last one before that was Deus Ex: HR.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
raziel said:
Hahaha.

Pretty much every pc-console multiplat OT on GAF is turned into a clusterfuck of tech support.

And no, the last one was not Brink, the last one was Dead Island. The last one before that was Deus Ex: HR.

Don't forget Red Orchestra 2. That was pretty fucking messy as well.

raziel said:
Hahaha.

People act like this started because of multi console releases, but this nonsense has been going on forever, even before the invasion of consoles. Day 1 pc releases have often been plagued by shit. Course as usual it often is overblown and many get to play the games without issue as only some are affected by major game breaking issues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
raziel said:
Hahaha.

Except that tech discussion in most topics is more along the lines of "how do I enable AA and AF?" or "mess around with this config file for a possible framerate boost!" and not "how do I get the textures to work and the graphics to stop flickering like mad?"

While all tech discussion may look the same, I assure you that the severity of the widespread issues being found in RAGE are not nearly on the same level as just about anything else. Maybe Brink compared, I don't know--I never had any interest in that game.

mclaren777

kayos90 said:
Man... GT really fucked up their review. Sound is not syncing right.
GT recently changed the way they handle audio so now I can't watch its reviews on my PS3 without the voices sounding like chipmunks. I think they're now using 22 kHz for the audio stream.

Also, this looks pretty even.

296021.png

296038.png

Sullichin said:
the dead island and deus ex threads were filled with people talking about game breaking shit on PC.

Didn't dead island ship on console with a ton of issues as well? I know my friend was complaining about them for days, unless he's crazy. In any case console games release with issues that need to be patched as well. On PC sometimes you at least have community solutions, until official patches get out.

Fuck I mean, didn't Gears of War 2 ship with broken matchmaking? I remember it being impossible to get into a game, I don't even know if that ever got fixed cause I just stopped playing.

Sullichin

EchosMyron1 said:
Didn't dead island ship on console with a ton of issues as well? I know my friend was complaining about them for days, unless he's crazy. In any case console games release with issues that need to be patched as well. On PC sometimes you at least have community solutions, until official patches get out.

Fuck I mean, didn't Gears of War 2 ship with broken matchmaking? I remember it being impossible to get into a game, I don't even know if that ever got fixed cause I just stopped playing.

Yes, Dead Island certainly had horrible problems on console on launch, so much so that I gave up on that game and sold my PS3 copy on Amazon :p Didn't mean to say console games don't have problems.

ughh 2 more hours of work and then I can play my PS3 copy of RAGE that's waiting for me.

BattleMonkey said:
People act like this started because of multi console releases, but this nonsense has been going on forever, even before the invasion of consoles. Day 1 pc releases have often been plagued by shit. Course as usual it often is overblown and many get to play the games without issue as only some are affected by major game breaking issues.
I remember too. So many pc exclusives were v1.0 clusterfucks. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 had pretty terrible launches. Terrible online play day one was pretty much guaranteed as a million people started listen servers and you couldn't tell them from dedicated in many cases. Not to mention a lack of true stress test betas bringing the list servers to their knees.

Last minute beta video drivers etc tweaked for the new big release were common as hell. Consoles didn't cause this. Poor QA did, Ati releasing the wrong ducking driver did. That's not excusing anything, but there are zero grounds for laying the blame in the fact that ID made a console version.

Derrick01

Banned
So I've put an hour into it and I'm enjoying it, though it's going a bit slow. I've only seen 2 really small settlements and killed a few basic bandits but I'm still on the "tutorial" I guess. I have, however, been inside 2 different sewer systems and the second was pretty intense. Had about 10-12 enemies charging me at one point and near the treasure pile I had about 5 come at me at once (and were promptly blown up by 1 well timed grenade throw).

Off topic: Is gaf loading a little slow for anyone else? Like the threads come up quick enough but pics and avatars take a while. The rest of the internet seems normal so I don't think it's on my end.

Anyone have working cloud saves? Just tried to load it up on my machine at work, and my saves aren't there :/ It says 2 hours played in Steam. Grrr

Top Bottom