• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

MmmSkyscraper said:
Maybe that's cos I gifted it to you and I'm in the UK?

doubt it, friend did the same as me and paid a friend in the UK to get and gets the same release date, and told me that another buddy got it regulary and has the same release date as well.

Solo

Finally got to start it up. Game runs like a dream framerate-wise, but there are definitely two major technical issues - the much maligned texture pop-in, which is awful, and uber-bad tearing. After I quit the game I went into nVidia Inspector and vorced v-sync, so hopefully that issue will disappear next time I boot up. But yeah, the texture pop-in is downright shameful.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
Finally got to start it up. Game runs like a dream framerate-wise, but there are definitely two major technical issues - the much maligned texture pop-in, which is awful, and uber-bad tearing. After I quit the game I went into nVidia Inspector and vorced v-sync, so hopefully that issue will disappear next time I boot up. But yeah, the texture pop-in is downright shameful.

that and triple buffering should solve the tearing issue. I enabled it before my first startup and there's no tearing at all.

As for pop in that seems to be a random disaster. Mine may as well not even be there, it's un-noticeable but other nvidia users seem to have some problems.

B-Dex

Linkup said:
Same stuff happened when Doom 3 hit, drivers will clear things up in no time.

What magical drivers were they using when showing the game off then? I don't understand how they can have it run fine at trade shows but the retail release gets the shaft and has to wait.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
I remember too. So many pc exclusives were v1.0 clusterfucks. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 had pretty terrible launches. Terrible online play day one was pretty much guaranteed as a million people started listen servers and you couldn't tell them from dedicated in many cases. Not to mention a lack of true stress test betas bringing the list servers to their knees.

Last minute beta video drivers etc tweaked for the new big release were common as hell. Consoles didn't cause this. Poor QA did, Ati releasing the wrong ducking driver did. That's not excusing anything, but there are zero grounds for laying the blame in the fact that ID made a console version.
I still think Doom 3 had the smoothest launch of any PC game as of 2004. It was as perfect as one could hope.

Half-Life 2, though? Absolute mess.

I still think the king of bad launches remains SiN for the PC. The original CD version (which I own) is so buggy that you basically cannot finish the game. In fact, most of the major scenes are completely broken, loading and saving takes forever (and creates 600mb+ save files), and most of the scripting falls apart. Eventually you can't play any further when you reach the oil rig as it only displays your hands in a black screen.

They patched it pretty quickly, but the internet wasn't as widespread back then so I'd imagine a lot of people were fucked.

What magical drivers were they using when showing the game off then? I don't understand how they can have it run fine at trade shows but the retail release gets the shaft and has to wait.
That's what I'd like to know. Surely they tested this on ATI and discovered these problems. Did they just say "fuck it" and ship the game? Sure seems that way. Whether they prefer nVidia hardware doesn't matter when half of your customer base is using ATI.

I have an awesome pc, but i am soooo glad I've bought this for the 360. Games runs brilliantly, it looks great, no problem at all and the IQ seems exactly the same as the pc version minus the resolution. Glad I've picked up this version instead of the others. Really, the only reason I bought this on 360 instead of pc is because I had to see this voodoo magic in action. Beautiful 360 game running at 60 fps ? I'm intrigued. Now I've heard there is so much problems on pc. Surprised ID couldn't deliver for PC.

On a side note, I've picked up Dark Souls on PS3 and I've heard it was the best move to execute, so I am double happy right now :)

mAcOdIn

dark10x said:
I still think Doom 3 had the smoothest launch of any PC game as of 2004. It was as perfect as one could hope.
I agree, I never experienced a single bug or crash with Doom 3 on my Radeon 9700, now I didn't like the game but I couldn't fault it for technical issues.

Solo

Derrick01 said:
that and triple buffering should solve the tearing issue. I enabled it before my first startup and there's no tearing at all.

As for pop in that seems to be a random disaster. Mine may as well not even be there, it's un-noticeable but other nvidia users seem to have some problems.

Just turned triple buffering on too. So basically I've got everything licked but the pop-in, which is naturally the worst thing.

papersleeves said:
On a side note, I've picked up Dark Souls on PS3 and I've heard it was the best move to execute, so I am double happy right now :)
That is one of the only reason's I am not raging hardcore at the moment, playing dota 2 and about to pick up Dark Souls in a few hours.

bloodforge said:
So when are these new AMD drivers supposed to be out?

These are the newest ones I know about. They are the "Rage Performance drivers"

*link removed since amd says don't use them I guess*

Those actually fixed the crash when you exit the vault, but there's still the problem of texture pop-in. :(

GhostRidah said:
That is one of the only reason's I am not raging hardcore at the moment, playing dota 2 and about to pick up Dark Souls in a few hours.

Fffuuu! Not all of us are lucky enough to have dota 2! The rest of us only have the option to rage at rage. :p
:'(

mclaren777 said:
GT recently changed the way they handle audio so now I can't watch its reviews on my PS3 without the voices sounding like chipmunks. I think they're now using 22 kHz for the audio stream.

Also, this looks pretty even.

http://www.nowgamer.com/siteimage/scale/0/0/296021.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.nowgamer.com/siteimage/scale/0/0/296038.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
... and pretty horrendous!

I think once the pop-in is fixed I'll bite. I can deal with it being ugly, I can't deal with it being SUPER UGLY before it turns ugly.

Iced_Eagle said:
These are the newest ones I know about. They are the "Rage Performance drivers"

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

Those actually fixed the crash when you exit the vault, but there's still the problem of texture pop-in. :(
AMD actually says to avoid using these until it can get the new ones out.

RockPaperShotgun article said:
Update 3: ATI have fessed up to putting out a borked driver: “All – don’t use the current Rage performance driver – package includes very old OGL files, that’s why you’re seeing corruption etc… New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today.” And yet they haven’t withdrawn the bad one yet. What fun!

NullPointer said:
AMD actually says to avoid using these until it can get the new ones out.

Interesting!

Though, I'm going to keep using them until the new ones come out then, because without that I get crashes.

just starting the retail install. hopefully the updated ATi drivers will be out by the time i'm done with all 3 of these dual layer dvds.

JohngPR

Really quick impressions of the PS3 verson.

The texture pop in isn't as bad for me as it looked in those videos. Yes it does happen, but not every time....especially the bit when he was comparing the pipe on the wall with the cabinet with the drawers. In fact, I couldn't get it to do the texture pop in once it did it the one initial time.

It's still there, but it's not a big deal from what I've seen.

More than anything, holy shit does 60fps make a big difference. It makes the game looks better than it probably does...amazing.

If I would have to point to anything that makes the game look less than what it should, it'd be the lack of antialiasing. Jaggies are noticeably but not a deal breaker. So far I'm not mad that I kept the PS3 version. I'll update further since I haven't even truly played the game yet.

Here's a quick and dirty video I made with my phone if you're interested in seeing what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqh1P-pQps

Sorry if the quality sucks..

dark10x said:
prior to the infamous ATi Doom 3 hotfix performance on ATI cards was terrible. game didn't support custom resolutions or let you turn on the highest quality graphics outside of ini files. wasn't it locked at 60 fps as well? you couldn't go higher than that right?

that's what i remember anyway.

SiN yeah... that was god awful.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
D2M15 said:
Dynamic forum.

WdStJ.gif

Kurdel

Banned
Played about 3 hours of the PS3 version.

The texture issue is barely noticable, and the game is REALLY fun.

I feel there isn't enough shooting in the first part of the game. Driving is a blast, but the shooting is something else.

Can't wait to see the rest of the game!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Will try these new drivers.

I went ahead and installed it and, man, it's even worse than expected. Not only is the framerate very low and the pop-in horrendous, but the game constantly hitches and random triangles flash all over the screen. It's quite possibly the most embarrassing launch of a PC title I've seen in ages. It feels completely broken.

The differences between this and Crysis 2 is truly night and day. I can't BELIEVE how awful this is right now.

If the ATI drivers don't correct it, though, I'm going to be rather pissed.

CatalystCreator Andrew D
All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc.
Right, but he's talking about the first release (which was messed up). They JUST released new drivers within the past 30 minutes.

TheExodu5

Banned
I give Crysis 2 a lot of shit, but you're right in saying it had a smooth launch. Judging by id's "revolutionary dynamic settings", I totally expected a similar experience. Guess I was wrong.

jett

D-Member
GhostRidah said:
What about the 4000 series? =/

They are on the "supported" list of cards, but who knows if they will make a difference. Each subsequent ATI driver update only makes performance shittier for me.

domstah

Damn the save system is archaic. Having to manually save every five minutes is tedious, I lost 20 minutes worth of progress thanks to the shitty ladder system and falling to my death. I understand that their saves take forever - but an autosave when I finish an task would have been nice.

Otherwise it looks great on 360, and an early pro-tip - don't by the telescope as it will take over your ability to aim sown sight with the guns.

Top Bottom